Purchase link: Maleficent (sold-out)
Price: £24.99
Notes: 4,000 copies, Full gloss finish

01.jpg

02.jpg
00.jpg 03.jpg
Maleficent.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone had to know that it wasn't the white steel as displayed close to release date, I cannot imagine that Zavvi wasn't aware, if in doubt they should have written ''Artwork To Be Confirmed''. If they would have posted what they should do as a company, the proper info when available, I don't think it would have caused cancellation due to the fact that lots of people were also buying it for the 3D Disk(cancelling or returning the item based on misinformation yields the same result). Also it is not right to not provide information surely available so that the customer can make his purchase based on facts. This has caused me a lot of headache today I am lucky whomever I had committed to buy the spanish version was understanding and agreed to cancel it as I was purchasing the Zavvi steel mainly for the 3D disks and the spanish one for the black steel. So in the end Zavvi in terms of products is the winner 3D + Black. I am just sorry that because of zavvi's actions, I impacted someone else and I feel very bad. Already they were OOS on their webbsite and selling them on ebay, they made me miss out on the ebay purchase through their outlet and I had to get 2 copies at high premium on ebay(which I learned after I could have gotten them cheaper on HDN). But lesson learned.

here is the accusation that is iron clad reality snooloui... zavvi took orders for one product description, received another from the supplier, and passed along the surprise to all buyers. there is absolutely, positively NO room for excuse. as a retailer, you cannot do this. what their employees know or don't know is completely irrelevant. zavvi, the company, is responsible for their sales. for me personally i didnt order this. im waiting for a proper edition that does not slap steelbook collectors in the face with blank black cover.

I think we are arguing different things here. I am not saying Zavvi aren't at least partly responsible, simply addressing the accusation that their staff knew and lied which is what some have implied.

Reactions: justhedudeman
HMMMM - 25 notes for a black back!

Yeah and a beautifully embossed high gloss front. :rolleyes:

Bottom line with this release is that you can not please EVERYBODY! Everyone in the Spain thread was going nuts over this steel, myself included. It's honestly one of the best releases this year IMO, regardless of the plain back or not. In Zavvi's defense there IS a disclaimer that the final art MAY be different...BUT with when a company calls themselves the "home of Steelbooks" and they "supposedly" sell out of a Steelbook, the LEAST they can do is notify us of the changes. So it is what it is folks. Either hate it or love it, keep it or return it. But in the future I really think Zavvi needs to put up an ACTUAL image of the steels they sell...not even a mock up. I'm talking the REAL thing.

Whilst it is true that sometimes the final product differs from the mockup sometimes some of these can be very minor i.e. 3D written on the final product and not on the mockup or the title is moved off-centre from being shown on centre. I think the issue is that this was a major chance of design and colour, that would have had to have been finialised before the product went to print. So there would have been a period where Zavvi should have known the final artwork and updated their site to reflect the final artwork.

It is entirely possible that the warehouse staff never knew what the mock-up looked like, it's a case of they pick it and put it in a box to be shipped out. So where did the system breakdown?

Did Disney UK fail to inform Zavvi of the final artwork?
Did someone at Zavvi fail to get around to updating the site? (which they did sometime after lunchtime on release day)

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Actarus
I think we are arguing different things here. I am not saying Zavvi aren't at least partly responsible, simply addressing the accusation that their staff knew and lied which is what some have implied.

I think it goes on higher level, it's the marketing department's responsibility and product development department also. I don't think that the customer service representatives knew about it and lied, as much as I am upset and think that Zavvi's customer's service is not that great, I'm certain they knew not. Same goes with Amazon, what they see on the site it's the only info they can give to customers, if artwork is changed at last minute they know same time as website updated or when someone calls and complains that the artwork on the site is not the same that was shipped(happened to me often).

Well my copy arrived today and I have to admit i wasn't paying attention to the design change. It arrived A1 and it's a beautiful deep gloss embossed set. The rich black is amazing to behold. The minimalist design really does work here. Any gloss fans will be dro0ling over this one.... I predict a hot seller on ebay for this one.
I doubt we will ever know the answer to the design change but I'm not complaining. A worthy addition to my steelbook collection. But yes Zavvi should make sure in future the design they display is the final one on offer. .....

It's all about economics.Plain and simple.
Zavvi put a disclaimer about the artwork.They felt secure enough with that to keep the image associated with the steelbook.The thought that there was a possibility of having the "white version" drove the sales up.And when these so called confirmations from a few days ago about the different version,was in fact the item in hand, caused quite a few more sales on their ebay outlet store.Of course they knew before shipping these that they were the same as the spanish version.They weren't about to take a chance of cancelling the orders before shipping.So they went ahead and completed the orders.
I do feel sorry for the members who felt betrayed.Believe me I do because for me, I ordered ZERO copies and didn't intend to order any since the spanish version was there and EARLY.When it comes to marketing and sales,you have to pay attention to the minute details and you have to learn to be very literal since these retailers have to in the fine print.IT IS THERE,you just have to know where to look for it.I have been collecting and selling steelbooks for over 6 years.You learn a few things along the way.
Do you guys recall any WEA tagged with this release? That means it will be shared with another COUNTRY even though it says it is exclusive to the U.K...Who else is out there that has this steelbook??? Let me look around...Any other announcements out there? I don't recall any.Lets see..."full gloss" hmm...another clue...it has been there all along.I've said it time and time again in these threads, "pay attention to detail"
We've all been loyal members to this forum.A lot of us absolutely.This forum has to take a stand towards Zavvi.I know they are loyal supporters for this company but you have to keep a very respectable surrounding to keep this forum growing in a healthy state.As soon as there is a new steel from Zavvi,this forum is on the run to announce it here.Any sales,HDN is there as well.Notice the links? straight to Zavvi and actually even omitting Amazon in some threads.Mods will say that they were not in the loop and had no knowledge about the "bait and switch" We get that but you have to make Zavvi liable.Notice the shenanigans on the forum lately? the angered members? It is chaos in here.Even though there is a benefit to HDN from sponsoring Zavvi,you have to make them liable.It is becoming unhealthy in this forum in regards to Zavvi.Come on Wreck.Put your foot down.I know you can.
Oh just one more thing.Wait for the announcement that Zavvi will have these in stock once again...

It's amazing how Zavvi UK didn't have a clue what they were getting with this steelbook but Spain did???

C'mon I don't buy it. Sorry.
It's easy to blame Disney but how come Amazon Spain and all the Spanish sites new what they were getting?

I am not sure what caused this particular situation but studios often have different divisions in different countries-one territory does not necessarily operate the same as another, and they don't coordinate 100% of the time.

Reactions: justhedudeman
It's all about economics.Plain and simple.
Zavvi put a disclaimer about the artwork.They felt secure enough with that to keep the image associated with the steelbook.The thought that there was a possibility of having the "white version" drove the sales up.And when these so called confirmations from a few days ago about the different version,was in fact the item in hand, caused quite a few more sales on their ebay outlet store.Of course they knew before shipping these that they were the same as the spanish version.They weren't about to take a chance of cancelling the orders before shipping.So they went ahead and completed the orders.
I do feel sorry for the members who felt betrayed.Believe me I do because for me, I ordered ZERO copies and didn't intend to order any since the spanish version was there and EARLY.When it comes to marketing and sales,you have to pay attention to the minute details and you have to learn to be very literal since these retailers have to in the fine print.IT IS THERE,you just have to know where to look for it.I have been collecting and selling steelbooks for over 6 years.You learn a few things along the way.
Do you guys recall any WEA tagged with this release? That means it will be shared with another COUNTRY even though it says it is exclusive to the U.K...Who else is out there that has this steelbook??? Let me look around...Any other announcements out there? I don't recall any.Lets see..."full gloss" hmm...another clue...it has been there all along.I've said it time and time again in these threads, "pay attention to detail"
We've all been loyal members to this forum.A lot of us absolutely.This forum has to take a stand towards Zavvi.I know they are loyal supporters for this company but you have to keep a very respectable surrounding to keep this forum growing in a healthy state.As soon as there is a new steel from Zavvi,this forum is on the run to announce it here.Any sales,HDN is there as well.Notice the links? straight to Zavvi and actually even omitting Amazon in some threads.Mods will say that they were not in the loop and had no knowledge about the "bait and switch" We get that but you have to make Zavvi liable.Notice the shenanigans on the forum lately? the angered members? It is chaos in here.Even though there is a benefit to HDN from sponsoring Zavvi,you have to make them liable.It is becoming unhealthy in this forum in regards to Zavvi.Come on Wreck.Put your foot down.I know you can.
Oh just one more thing.Wait for the announcement that Zavvi will have these in stock once again...

@urbeenjammin our concerns were expressed already as mentioned hours ago.

We cannot affect these types of errors that occur by a third party company. Yes, we post info quickly, exactly as received. If no info is received none can be posted. We do not run their warehouse and have nothing to do with their operations-they are a separate company. If you do not like their products or policies, please report it to them and ask for your money back.

Links ommitted? Take a sec to report them-we can't be everywhere at once.

We understand the aggravation some of you feel, but your anger is misplaced-please direct it to them in regards to your order. We were not aware that the art would change and did not receive any advance notice, as has been said numerous times.

Well this thread has certainly made interesting reading this evening lol. Plain black, not white, Zavvi are the devil, There's a grand conspiracy afoot etc. lol

I must admit I ordered this way back within minutes of it going live and really did like the idea of a full gloss white steel, and a part of me hoped thats what would arrive.

Another part of me then saw the classy Spanish Black steel with that quite stunning front image and finish and I REALLY liked it, but no 3D and leaving it too late in the day meant it was already going for well above normal prices so I passed. I actually like the fact the black is just pure plain gloss, coupled with the front design is gives an overall feel of simple but stunning quality. If I'm going to show off steels then they are front facing and what a front this truly has, so I'm actually quite happy with what has arrived.

For those truly unhappy I would definitely take it up with Zavvi as personally they are to blame for this, whether that be returing it or getting some small amount of compensation for your annoyance. Disney can keep art till the last minute, but in reality it most definitely is down to Zavvi on whether they wait for the correct info before dispatching or hope for the best, unfortunately us steel collectors in general can be a little OCD so the best in this case was always going to fail. Saying "art may change etc" doesn't entirely get them out of this mess as more often than not the art does differ slightly and we have come to expect that and in most cases even accept it, but this isn't a slight change, it's a completely different design and colour. I do think they need to talk to staff, as the missinformation supplied last week when customers asked about the final design is extremely poor customer service. In my last job that would rightly have seen you fired as the customer comes first. I honestly don't think they would have seen a huge amount of cancellations if thats the reason they held back and just dispatched them, as while many liked what they thought was coming, just as many after seeing the Spanish version hoped thats what would arrive only in a more superior 2 disc 3D package. It's not as if what turned up is a matte mess, granted it's not everyones cup of tea but it is an extremely smart steel and definitely a contender for steel of the year.

I definitely don't think the mods and admin here are in anyway shape or form responsible for missinformation on this. The working realtionship is to give us the heads up on new releases, possible art and on the odd occassion if info can be obtained share shots of the finished product like they did with Lucy. I certainly wouldn't like to see them cut ties with Zavvi just because of this. Zavvi make silly mistakes all the time and more often than not they are easily forgotten. They aren't my favourite company as their customer service isn't the best and they have some strange idea's on their business model, but they are like it or hate it the one company in the UK securing the most exclusives, and they have done some crackers over the last few years. I love coming on here each day and seeing if anything new has been listed "even" from Zavvi and long may the staff continue to supply what info they can share.

So if you REALLY don't like the black steel, or are really unhappy about the way Zavvi have handled this by all means contact them, they should be informed when you really aren't happy, whether that improves services in the future or not remains to be seen but definitely stand up for your rights as a consumer and show your unhappiness. Yep they have screwed up, it's not what has been advertised for months now, but what finally did arrive is still a superb product. I'd have been more p*ssed if they had sent me a spot glossed silver steel which is what I fear would have arrived based on their original description.

I would have loved that white gloss steel, but I'm more than happy with this shiny black beauty, I will be letting Zavvi know constructively that they made a mess "yet again" but I know full well there will be more excellent steels coming through them and just as many screw ups. It's all part of the fun of collecting steelbooks, and I try more and more even on Marvel releases to be patient and just wait and see what arrives. Sometimes I'm let down, and sometimes like today I was very pleasantly surprised even if it wasn't what I ordered. This place is my online home, the members are an awesome bunch, the staff do a smashing job that makes for a lot of fun. There is no point bitching at each other and pointing fingers. The retailer screwed up for whatever reason plain and simple, so direct the fury at them by email, FB etc and lets keep this place happy and fun. :thumbs:

What is confusing to me is why so many people seemed surprised that Zavvi would pull a stunt as such. They have been screwing me over for that past couple years almost... sending me spine-slashed, dented, scratched, paint chipped copies that where almost certainly like that upon dispatch. It takes me several messages to get a return each time, and I usually don't get all my return postage back after several attempts as well. This is just another incident involving their highly-questionable ethics. Now, I still do business with them, admittedly, but I have scaled down my buying with them drastically.

This steelbook is absolutely STUNNING, imho, with the art, gloss, embossing, interior art, AND it contains the 3D disc, which is not yet available in the US. If you are unhappy with the steelbook overall, send it back and get all your $$ back. I fail to believe they won't honor this. It is really this bad? Disappointed? I can certainly understand that....

Again, this is nothing new as far as how they treat customers. I think the problem is most of you had too high of expectations with them.

Reactions: psychoscot
@urbeenjammin our concerns were expressed already as mentioned hours ago.

We cannot affect these types of errors that occur by a third party company. Yes, we post info quickly, exactly as received. If no info is received none can be posted. We do not run their warehouse and have nothing to do with their operations-they are a separate company. If you do not like their products or policies, please report it to them and ask for your money back.

Links ommitted? Take a sec to report them-we can't be everywhere at once.

We understand the aggravation some of you feel, but your anger is misplaced-please direct it to them in regards to your order. We were not aware that the art would change and did not receive any advance notice, as has been said numerous times.

The forum has to choice when or what to announce...simply put.It is already known that the 2 are separate companes.I never said the two are the same.
When Zavvi anounces they will have stock again,with their bad policies,you are telling me that the forum has no choice but to announce it ASAP.I don't think so.They WILL NEVER CHANGE if the biggest steelbook forum doesn't flex their muscles and incorporate stricter policies.If this was just a member doing a group buy,you are telling me that nothing is going to be done to that member...Will you simply say,oh...that member is completely separate from this forum.Both scenarios are the same.They are using this forum for their benefit and HDN always has to right to step in and make the necessary steps to avoid anything like this happening again.

Guys myself and staff didnt know anything about this till this morning unless they viewed this thread when someone posted a pic earlier. We werent in the loop to it not being white, and when our contacts were asked it was news to him ... and he wasnt happy either.

Ben, there's no stand that we need to take ... because our members take the stand with their wallets ... trust me, we feel it we always wish the best for any retailer who has an affiliate program as we need the support and its not like the popular Asian releases have any such programs. We report the news, and IF we know something early on then YES we take stands privately in benefit of the steelbook collecting community .... but once the thing is printed and shipped all we can merely say is contact the retailer if you are upset.

I'm sure the answer doesn't please all .... sorry.

The forum has to choice when or what to announce...simply put.It is already known that the 2 are separate companes.I never said the two are the same.
When Zavvi anounces they will have stock again,with their bad policies,you are telling me that the forum has no choice but to announce it ASAP.I don't think so.They WILL NEVER CHANGE if the biggest steelbook forum doesn't flex their muscles and incorporate stricter policies.If this was just a member doing a group buy,you are telling me that nothing is going to be done to that member...Will you simply say,oh...that member is completely separate from this forum.Both scenarios are the same.They are using this forum for their benefit and HDN always has to right to step in and make the necessary steps to avoid anything like this happening again.

unfortunately we have competitors with MUCH bigger resources who do not need to take stands in regards to the hobby, so the few little things we do good that make us a leader in the hobby we have to keep doing.

Reactions: IRON MAN
Urbeen, Steelbooks are a large part of our content. We can't just omit all of a major retailers releases-people will just go elsewhere to find the info. We have worked 5+ years to build this community and will continue to do so. Sorry even with ups and down too much work goes into every tiny piece of the community to leave off a major retailer's releases. Along the ways there will be errors and misinformation, late info, no info, but that happens on every news site. A large portion of our community is from the UK-another reason it makes no sense to omit all of their news. Again, covering releases from all over the world is what we have always done well, and we always try to be as comprehensive as possible. If a retailer makes an error, feedback is shared and it is their responsibility to work through customer complaints.

It would have been nice if Disney did something with the back cover, but still blown away by everything else. It looks gorgeous and can't wait to receive mine.
About the polarizing debate - I think what really needs to be clear for those that contact zavvi, to put it bluntly, people don't want to help those that rant or have an emotionally driven response. Respectfully offering a direct constructive criticism and enhancement is more likely to be taken seriously than an emotional long winded response.
Always remember, the customer service agents that answer your emails are NOT the ones that market the products or make the release decisions, however, they are more capable of sending feedback to those that do, so always make sure you take the emotion out of it.

Hey there Wreck,how's it going...I know its all about the wallet that makes the biggest impact.I'm just talking about change for the better with these retailers.Believe it or not,you guys do make a difference.When these guys notice less mention of their steels and sales,they will CHANGE.I was never interested as to when anybody knew anything from this forum.I'm not making a link between the two.If you think I'm doing that then you're missing the point that I'm making.So from what you're saying,there will be no changes made regarding the mishap from Zavvi as far as the forum is concerned,You will continue to announce ASAP as soon as Zavvi has anything coming up.I honestly feel it's a loss for the forum.It's your house where this occurred in the end.They truly do love this forum.They abide by their own rules and continue to cause mayhem and havoc and HDN will continue to welcome them with open arms no matter what.That is the problem that I have.You have to make them realize that they just can't do anything they want.Point made.Have a nice evening guys.

Guys, its a bitter truth. From the mods perspective there is hardly anything that can be done. Its exactly like Blufans or Kimchi dealing with Studios like Marvel. No matter what they try big organizations just won't budge. We are lucky that forum like HDN exist for hardcore steelbook collector. For sure it was somebodys fault at Zavvi but who and will Zavvi do anything rectify anything in future, we will never know.

@urbeenjammin I understand and respect your opinion bud. Well we are pushing for answers and it would be nice if someone did something about it. If fault lies on studio then I think they should offer something up in return. What I would like to see is the studios start understanding that a PREMIUM case is just as noteworthy to a consumer as missing content or audio lag etc. We've seen plenty times where just 10 seconds of audio lag and they'll reissue the disc. I can understand if they cant print a whole 'nother run (tho that would honourable!) when only its a problem to X customers ... but perhaps a really good gesture of a voucher (that is noteworthy 75% cost of maleficent) would be nice.

We'll make some suggestions, so here's to hoping.