Purchase link: Maleficent (sold-out)
Price: £24.99
Notes: 4,000 copies, Full gloss finish

01.jpg

02.jpg
00.jpg 03.jpg
Maleficent.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a horrible oversight, for sure. Well worth the venom it is receiving. Luckily, it works out perfectly for me. After I saw the black Steelbook THAT became the only one I wanted, but I had already ordered the Zavvi one and wasn't going to cancel. I figured I would be perfectly happy with the white one, but would have definitely preferred the black one instead. Sometimes errors fall in your favor. This news makes me so happy.

Personally, I think an official apology from Disney/Zavvi would be a great start. A lot of us obviously take this hobby very seriously, and rightly so when we spend so much time and money on it... it'd be nice to think the people providing us with our "drug" took it just as seriously and owned up to their mistakes instead of ignoring them (or at least that's the impression they tend to give off anyway). I genuinely feel for Zavvi a lot of the time, as they receive so much backlash for pretty much everything they do, even when they're technically not to blame... we're a picky bunch of people who can be really hard to please at times, there's no denying that. More respect and better communication from all sides (studios/retailers and customers) is what's needed the most here IMO, but it takes two to tango... I feel like we're just shouting into the wind at the moment. If anything, I hope this has been a huge learning experience for everyone. Hopefully something positive will come out of it all and either Disney or Zavvi give us some answers... that's what I'd appreciate the most right now.

What if it was streaky matte finish, no embossing/debossing and just a dull steelbook compared to the black steel? I'm sure this notion has been brought up by now anyway. Hey, there's always a chance of Blu Fans release with the white cover lol.

Truth be told, Zavvi should get a slap on the wrist for this. But with a discount code and £1 shipping I will have a sealed spare copy and be happy with it

Edit: never mind, it was called to be glossy all along.

The forum has to choice when or what to announce...simply put.It is already known that the 2 are separate companes.I never said the two are the same.
When Zavvi anounces they will have stock again,with their bad policies,you are telling me that the forum has no choice but to announce it ASAP.I don't think so.They WILL NEVER CHANGE if the biggest steelbook forum doesn't flex their muscles and incorporate stricter policies.If this was just a member doing a group buy,you are telling me that nothing is going to be done to that member...Will you simply say,oh...that member is completely separate from this forum.Both scenarios are the same.They are using this forum for their benefit and HDN always has to right to step in and make the necessary steps to avoid anything like this happening again.

There's nothing stopping yourself or anyone else ignoring all things Zavvi if you feel so strongly. If the staff here stop liaising with Zavvi, people will just go elsewhere to get the information. The situation with Kevin's group buys was similar. HDN stopped providing a service so people went where they could get that service without batting an eye.

Longer than the Lord of the rings though! :writing::writing::writing: :hilarious:
Zavvi extended edition 2 Discs :LOL::rofl:

I know majority of people are very annoyed about Zavvi not letting customers know before the Spanish Steelbook was shipped that this was the same steelbook (Black and not White)

To be honest I'm happy it is the same at the Spanish as in Black as it looks better than the White Image Zavvi had originally posted on their Website
If it had of been the White image you can be nearly sure its would of ended up not been white but either silver or off white colour

If Zavvi had of changed the image months ago we would not have been annoyed and be going WOW its a beautiful steelbook as was been posted when the Spanish release arrived in hands of collectors

We still ended up with a beautiful steelbook but I do feel sorry for those who ordered the Spanish release thinking they were getting something different to Zavvi UK release

Zavvi though need to be honest and let us know when they found out when they knew what the Artwork was and give customers a reason for the delay in providing this as customers only found out when delivered

For those who contacted customer service all they would have done was looked at the listing that was on the website as they would have not known that information would only have been known to zavvi buyers department and for some reason they never told the website department to update the website to show the correct image

The Zavvi Buyers and product Department some are members of Hi Def Ninja no need to know who they are as that would not be right as they do need to have the right to their personal space as they would end up with lot of unneeded messages
Disney staff are also members of this site so its not all Zavvi fault as they also could have got the artwork details information given to HDN and to Zavvi
Sometimes of course that information is not final or for other reasons delayed to be passed onto the public

To HDN Staff I'm sure you already have contacted these members and it would be a benefit to all on this site if more info is provided of future releases if details of a release is changed that 2 things happen
1) They inform HDN of correct release information as soon as its confirmed to be final
2)They inform all retailers who have an exclusive and even when its on general release to correct their websites to show correct details as this has happened before with other retailer exclusives and general releases its not just Zavvi its happens with

Overall I'm glad its Black and not White as its suits the Film a lot better in my opinion
The back artwork I admit is poor and should have had something better

Last edited:
Back to the actual steelbook in question...

Has anyone else opened theirs? I've just opened one of mine and the stratching on the corners is really bad - on all corners! :( There are so many little scratches all over it it's unreal as well! :wtf: Especially on the edges where the steel opens! My second copy has a very faint spine slash, which is why I hadn't opened it, but it seems to be the lesser of 2 evils...

EDIT: Just opened my second copy, even worse than the first!! Issues across both steels as follows so everyone's prepared:

1) Spine slash
2) BAD corner stretching
3) Light scratches all over
4) Large scratches and paint chips on the inner edges where steel seals - particularly where you would put your thumbs to open it
5) Lumps on the back, suggesting that fluff / grit got on it before or during the gloss process
6) Doesn't "sit true" when closed - the front and back pieces do not align correctly

Last edited:
mines turned up only 2 issues i got

1. j-card at bottom has been creased/bent a bit nothing major
2. corners of steel have normal manufacturing defect e.g. same as on anchorman 2/indy steels i got basically looks like bad stretching i can live with it but is a normal manufacturing issue.

sorry to here about yours brad seems like perhaps mickey mouse the zavvi spine slasher got there in at there despatch dept again!

basil :thumbs:

Zavvi extended edition 2 Discs :LOL::rofl:

I know majority of people are very annoyed about Zavvi not letting customers know before the Spanish Steelbook was shipped that this was the same steelbook (Black and not White)

To be honest I'm happy it is the same at the Spanish as in Black as it looks better than the White Image Zavvi had originally posted on their Website
If it had of been the White image you can be nearly sure its would of ended up not been white but either silver or off white colour

If Zavvi had of changed the image months ago we would not have been annoyed and be going WOW its a beautiful steelbook as was been posted when the Spanish release arrived in hands of collectors

We still ended up with a beautiful steelbook but I do feel sorry for those who ordered the Spanish release thinking they were getting something different to Zavvi UK release

Zavvi though need to be honest and let us know when they found out when they knew what the Artwork was and give customers a reason for the delay in providing this as customers only found out when delivered

For those who contacted customer service all they would have done was looked at the listing that was on the website as they would have not known that information would only have been known to zavvi buyers department and for some reason they never told the website department to update the website to show the correct image

The Zavvi Buyers and product Department some are members of Hi Def Ninja no need to know who they are as that would not be right as they do need to have the right to their personal space as they would end up with lot of unneeded messages
Disney staff are also members of this site so its not all Zavvi fault as they also could have got the artwork details information given to HDN and to Zavvi
Sometimes of course that information is not final or for other reasons delayed to be passed onto the public

To HDN Staff I'm sure you already have contacted these members and it would be a benefit to all on this site if more info is provided of future releases if details of a release is changed that 2 things happen
1) They inform HDN of correct release information as soon as its confirmed to be final
2)They inform all retailers who have an exclusive and even when its on general release to correct their websites to show correct details as this has happened before with other retailer exclusives and general releases its not just Zavvi its happens with

Overall I'm glad its Black and not White as its suits the Film a lot better in my opinion
The back artwork I admit is poor and should have had something better

Hey Paul, thanks for your thoughts. Yes, the train of information flow you suggest is ideal, but unfortunately does not always happen that way for a variety of reasons and due to the complexity of working with various info sources. Lets hope that Zavvi does provide some solution of some sort so our members with single or a few copies, or those who don't like this version, and angry resellers sitting on stacks of these, receive some assistance.

Can't even be bothered to buy another one, I can't forsee getting a mint replacement at all so just going to deal with the issue and send 1 of them back for a refund! :(

Good luck to anyone that hasn't had theirs arrive yet or is just ordering it! :ohno: