Purchase link: Maleficent (sold-out)
Price: £24.99
Notes: 4,000 copies, Full gloss finish

01.jpg

02.jpg
00.jpg 03.jpg
Maleficent.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello...read all your posts with interest!

I am NOT saying i don't want the steelbook...first and foremost i buy for the film contained within...the steelbook is an added bonus!!

What i am saying is that i pre-ordered the steelbook based on Zavvi's mock-up and was then subsequently charged and dispatched a completely different steelbook in terms of it's colour and art without EVER being informed by Zavvi prior to being charged that the design was NOT what i ordered without giving me a chance to cancel....which is obviously what they were afraid of!!! That in my book is totally unacceptable because i do not except for one second that Zavvi did NOT know about the change in advance!

Let me put this to you guys...if you bought a 55" Samsung 4K TV and got a 48" Samsung HD TV or bought a blue car and were delivered a red car you would happily accept that! I think not!!!!

I do not accept Zavvi's "artwork subject to change" either...they received that stock in the early part of the week before release...are you telling me NOBODY checked it!! Somebody from Zavvi confirmed it was a white steelbook on Twitter also!! Total and utter incompetence!!

I am going to Trading Standards because Zavvi charged me and dispatched an item that was not as advertised on their website and NO DOUBT knew that when they charged people and took near £100000 in total for these 4000 steelbooks!!

That in my book is totally unacceptable and i am asking Zavvi for a 50% refund because...although i want the film...IT IS NOT THE STEELBOOK I ORDERED!!!

I DID send that message to Zavvi Customer Services and got a bull**** copy and pasted "please send a photograph blah-blah-blah" generic reply!!

They are one of the worst internet companies out there!! Fact!! I have cancelled dozens of pre-orders with them...if everybody else did maybe they would give some thought as to how they can improve!!! They are a joke!!!

If I got delivered the wrong color car/wrong tv, I would either return it, or ask for the right one. Since, the only course of action in this case is to return it, that's what I would do if I didn't want what I received. If I received the wrong car/tv, I wouldn't ask for a 50% off refund on it, I would just return it, since it's not what I wanted.

In the case of this Steelbook, I was hoping it would get switched out for the black one, so I'm happy in this case. But if I was hoping to get the white one, and received the black one, and didn't want the black one, I would return it.

I'm not saying Zavvi wasn't totally wrong in what happened here, that's just what I would do in either case.

Reactions: Wreck
Yes i understand your point...but there is NO alternative to purchase!! I love steelbooks, i wanted this film...Zavvi cannot replace this mis-advertised steelbook with another...hence asking for a reduction and going to Trading Standards!

I think that is only fair for not informing customers before it shipped! We are talking £25 here....not a cheap steelbook...Zavvi are more than happy to take our money...but my god are they near impossible to deal with on a retailer-customer level...in this day and age that is unacceptable!!

Do you get where i am coming from?

Reactions: thewhiteknight
If I got delivered the wrong color car/wrong tv, I would either return it, or ask for the right one. Since, the only course of action in this case is to return it, that's what I would do if I didn't want what I received. If I received the wrong car/tv, I wouldn't ask for a 50% off refund on it, I would just return it, since it's not what I wanted.
Yes i understand your point...but there is NO alternative to purchase!! I love steelbooks, i wanted this film...Zavvi cannot replace this mis-advertised steelbook with another...hence asking for a reduction and going to Trading Standards!

I think that is only fair for not informing customers before it shipped! We are talking £25 here....not a cheap steelbook...Zavvi are more than happy to take our money...but my god are they near impossible to deal with on a retailer-customer level...in this day and age that is unacceptable!!

Do you get where i am coming from?

I get where you're coming from. Just saying what I would do if I was faced with the same problem. If you really don't like the Steelbook, I wouldn't keep it, and I would just buy the regular Amaray release.

i dont think anyone is trying to unfairly vilify zavvi, i think most people just want a good service. i think most people just want the service to improve.

i dont understand those who take the position of the 'zavvi loyalist' or try to use damage control whenever zavvi have quite clearly fell short of what is expected of them... maybe those people are the 'anonymous' people who apparently use this board while also being employed by zavvi. i cant see any other reason why one would defend a companies bad practices, there is no benefit in it for you. for the only way we can get the service we want is by complaining when the standards arent met. everyone benefits from complaining and criticism when zavvi fall short.

its not just a case of zavvi falling short in this one instance, it has been going on for ages now, i think this is why people are so angry, not because of this one 'incident' ... with this particular release there has been a catalogue of errors... in a way it sums up everything that is wrong with zavvi, everything that needs attention.

1- lack of info. people wanted to know what the back and insides looked like. people requested more info and were met with silence.

2- after this lack of info and an existing black steel, people became suspicious that the art advertised was merely a place holder art.

3- people requested confirmation of products art and were indeed told the art was as pictures. this is poor customer service, because as we all know, the white steel doesnt even exist, so how did they confirm the image was correct. they didn't. this is plain incompetence.

4- people received black steel. not white as advertised. regardless of what zavvi loyalists say, this is false advertising. zavvi have a legal duty to ensure all the products they sale are as described. they failed to. its not customers job to pester zavvi for info when we suspect they are mistaken, but even so, many people did. zavvi had lots of opportunity to correct their error, but didnt. not until after 1000 or so were sold *lol*

5- people received damaged goods (scratched, production errors etc)

6- general shenanigans. they sold the item on ebay at an inflated price. when this was pointed out to them, they said it was a mistake and removed it. the result is lack of trust from customers.

many of these issues could have been avoided if zavvi would have taken customer requests for information more seriously. other issues such as damaged goods are effecting almost all of the releases.

we can either criticize, complain and bring about better standards or just shrug, make excuses for them and continue to be given a poor service....

you decide

i dont think anyone is trying to unfairly vilify zavvi, i think most people just want a good service. i think most people just want the service to improve.

i dont understand those who take the position of the 'zavvi loyalist' or try to use damage control whenever zavvi have quite clearly fell short of what is expected of them... maybe those people are the 'anonymous' people who apparently use this board while also being employed by zavvi. i cant see any other reason why one would defend a companies bad practices, there is no benefit in it for you. for the only way we can get the service we want is by complaining when the standards arent met. everyone benefits from complaining and criticism when zavvi fall short.

its not just a case of zavvi falling short in this one instance, it has been going on for ages now, i think this is why people are so angry, not because of this one 'incident' ... with this particular release there has been a catalogue of errors... in a way it sums up everything that is wrong with zavvi, everything that needs attention.

1- lack of info. people wanted to know what the back and insides looked like. people requested more info and were met with silence.

2- after this lack of info and an existing black steel, people became suspicious that the art advertised was merely a place holder art.

3- people requested confirmation of products art and were indeed told the art was as pictures. this is poor customer service, because as we all know, the white steel doesnt even exist, so how did they confirm the image was correct. they didn't. this is plain incompetence.

4- people received black steel. not white as advertised. regardless of what zavvi loyalists say, this is false advertising. zavvi have a legal duty to ensure all the products they sale are as described. they failed to. its not customers job to pester zavvi for info when we suspect they are mistaken, but even so, many people did. zavvi had lots of opportunity to correct their error, but didnt. not until after 1000 or so were sold *lol*

5- people received damaged goods (scratched, production errors etc)

6- general shenanigans. they sold the item on ebay at an inflated price. when this was pointed out to them, they said it was a mistake and removed it. the result is lack of trust from customers.

many of these issues could have been avoided if zavvi would have taken customer requests for information more seriously. other issues such as damaged goods are effecting almost all of the releases.

we can either criticize, complain and bring about better standards or just shrug, make excuses for them and continue to be given a poor service....

you decide

The way we can complain to them and force them to make changes is if it hurts their pockets. So, if everyone is really mad about this problem, it would be best for them to return the Steelbooks so Zavvi loses that sale. Companies listen when it hurts their bottom line.

The way we can complain to them and force them to make changes is if it hurts their pockets. So, if everyone is really mad about this problem, it would be best for them to return the Steelbooks so Zavvi loses that sale. Companies listen when it hurts their bottom line.

That wont happen.... its silly getting so up in arms about this, nothing will change, so theres only 2 things people can do, Dont buy from Zavvi out of principal or just take it on the chin.

This thread is full of complaints (understandable to a degree) but its taken the spotlight of this steelbook, and how gorgeous it is.

Reactions: justhedudeman
That wont happen.... its silly getting so up in arms about this, nothing will change, so theres only 2 things people can do, Dont buy from Zavvi out of principal or just take it on the chin.

This thread is full of complaints (understandable to a degree) but its taken the spotlight of this steelbook, and how gorgeous it is.
That's exactly what I'm saying. If people really want zavvi to change, they need to stop buying from them. I know there are a lot of people that have done that already, too.

And I totally agree about the Steelbook. I can't wait to have mine in hand. Hopefully it arrives mint.

I've just accepted the 10% partial refund on mine, has two off-putting scratches on the front, but the back, devoid of anything seems completely mint. Just my luck! :meh:

I really don't understand why people are using phrases like fraud. If zavvi kept your money and didn't offer a refund when they displayed the wrong artwork then that would be fraud. You don't like it and you are disappointed. I get it. Poor customer service. Sure. Easily remedied. Return the Damn steelbook.
I have returned numerous steelbook to Zavvi and have always received a full refund.
Just saying.

Reactions: justhedudeman
For what it's worth, my two cents...

We can see that certain members are not satisfied with their purchase, and in particular the way this has been handled, but to hear / read the same bitter comments over and over will not help the situation or make for a great vibe on this forum. It certainly won't fix anything in the meantime. @TonyStark64 , may I suggest that the repeated comments are put on hold until Trading Standards have reviewed your case and advised you on how you should proceed. Then you can update everyone on the progress, rather than the current situation which they are well aware of already. Otherwise you will only open yourself up for more baiting which no-one really wants to see and isn't deserved.

There are thousands of others in the same boat, some who are equally irate and some who have accepted the situation for what it is. I'd always recommend stepping away from the thread / keyboard for a while so that you can look at the bigger picture and perhaps from a different angle. This situation has happened many times before, though probably not to such an extreme, and will no doubt happen again going forward (around the globe). It is easier to accept it as part of life then try to fight it. Major retailers and studios are in it for the profit and will look at the pros and cons of a situation like this. No doubt, if they knew of this before they shipped, they would hope that the majority of customers would be happy when they received their item instead of unhappy not to get the pictured white one. If you take this thread as a guide then it would seem that the majority are being pragmatic about the situation, so can therefore be classed as 'happy', while the minority are not happy (not to say the minority are in any way wrong). So the decision will have paid off overall. That is business, whether we like it or not. The *artwork subject to change clause will no doubt play a huge part in protecting a retailer in most instances. That is why it is used.

I didn't buy this release. I made a choice a while back that, due to being a completist, I would not be able to keep up with Zavvi's exclusives and therefore I focus my money elsewhere. I also believe that less is more when it comes to how many exclusives a retailer releases, as it allows them to focus more on quality (product and service) over quantity. As a neutral I reckon the black version of Maleficent is pretty damn sweet and, had it been the artwork used on Zavvi all along, everyone would be singing it's praises now (damages aside). But I feel that because you have reacted so strongly to your experience on this release that, no matter what compensation you are offered, you will never be satisfied with it so you would be better off returning it for the full refund and getting another version (even if it's just the amaray). Each time you see this SteelBook you will feel bitterness and that's not good. This is a hobby and hobbies are supposed to be enjoyable. So sit back and enjoy it my friend :happy:

Anyway, I've spent so long typing this out that most of the posts have probably been moved to another thread and this will seem like I'm completely off topic now!! :p

The problem with your analogy is that 100% of the people who ordered the white steelbook got the black one. That would be like 100% of the people buying a Red Corvette and getting a blue one delivered instead. Not one or two but 100% of the people getting the wrong color just like with this release.

Reactions: levi and Thelite13
I told the guy over and over "I know artwork is subject to change but not after the point where people can't cancel their preorders"

My response

"
Hello Robson_Monkey,

Thank you for getting in touch about order 40233425.

Unfortunately artwork is subject to change on pre-orders.

I apologise for the inconvenience caused here.

If there is anything else that we can do, then please do not hesitate to get in touch and a member of our team will be happy to help.

Zavvi are basically in "LALALALALALALALA CAN'T HEAR YOU"

lmao

retailer 1- scraps their entire print run because of a 1mm margin of error. informs customers they can not afford such errors as they know we want the very best.

retailer 2- ships 2000 (maybe more) copies of a steelbook completely different to the one advertised and shrugs it off.

Kotick_shrug.gif

Did you seriously send that?

I'm sure you'll disagree, but essentially what you've done is send a threat. You're basically trying to blackmail them to your, unreasonable, demand for 50% off the item you purchased.

Zavvi were covered by their 'artwork subject to change' moniker. The most you're legally entitled to is to return your item for a full refund. Only because of distance selling regulations, and not because the item you received was black rather than white. If you sent me that kind of email, I'd simply let you return it to fulfill my legal obligation to you, not because I felt threatened.

Do you really think Trading Standards will be interested? Even if everyone who was unhappy contacted them, they'd side with Zavvi because of the 'artwork subject to change' disclaimer.

Zavvi put the artwork on their site 'in good faith'.
You ordered it 'in good faith'.
They posted it. No one pointed out before dispatch that the image and product didn't match. Even if they had... 'artwork subject'... etc. etc.
You have the right to return it under distance selling regulations.

So. Return it. You don't want it. That's what you said. Why do you want a 50% refund on something you don't want? You want all your money back surely... Don't you?

You're quite right, of course.

Frankly, if someone sent me an email of that kidney I would pee myself laughing at the sheer ineptitude.

Sorry TonyStark but you have to be professional and have a valid point. The diatribe you send contained neither.

The problem with your analogy is that 100% of the people who ordered the white steelbook got the black one. That would be like 100% of the people buying a Red Corvette and getting a blue one delivered instead. Not one or two but 100% of the people getting the wrong color just like with this release.
Totally wrong analogy, you don't order a car unseen. You test drive it and then choose to purchase or not. Also there's a big difference between a car and a bluray steelbook that costs around 30 dollars.

Reactions: Maccadinho25
But at least 50% wanted the black steelbook.

To be fair to TonyStark, the white steel book was a World Exclusive Artwork. It wasn't seen anywhere else and for the sheer contrast to the black version, this was unique and a must have.

For those that wanted this unique steel book, they may have withheld purchasing the black versions elsewhere because THIS was the one to have. Had they known this version would have been similar to others, they may have preferred to purchase elsewhere sooner, for example, they may have preferred the Spanish version at retail price.

Now that this has been released, it is a massive let-down that:
1. You do not have the WEA that you had hoped for.
2. You were not informed by the retailer and found out in a shoddy way of receiving and opening your parcel.
3. You were not offered a concession and an apology from the outset to alleviate that pissed off feeling.
4. You have missed out on purchasing an alternative steel book, like say the Spanish steel book at retail price, as in waiting for this WEA, that item is now OOS and price to obtain elsewhere is higher.

For those reasons, I can understand the animosity.

And if Zavvi cannot, as of right, give advance notification of the error, apologise and offer a conciliatory gesture of a couple of quid off or 10% code or something, it does look like your being treated like a bit of a mug and the customer service is poor.

As such, a snarly email to them asking for a bigger concession is understandable, just to hurt them in the pocket, as this is sometimes the only way they will sit up and listen, cos God knows they haven't any other way.

That's my 2 cents anyway....