Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Purchase:
Zavvi - £19.99
Base - £14.99
Release: June 1st, 2015
Notes: Empire Online are holding another Steelbook design competition... See here for full details.
We're giving you the chance to design the cover for the Predestination Steelbook Blu-ray. Your artwork will be immortalised in steel - and available to buy from major retailers if you impress the judge, Ethan Hawke himself.

The Oscar-nominated actor will choose his favourite artwork for the Home Entertainment release of Predestination and Signature Entertainment will turn it into the steelbook cover of the film, crediting your name on the packaging.

You'll also win copies of the Blu-ray and a 10 film sci-fi bundle also courtesy of Signature.

front.jpg

back.jpg interior.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
But the first sentence there contradicts the second sentence, surely? If the artwork is plagiarism and there's only person who made that artwork then why the need to point out that you didn't say that the fault lies with the guy that made the artwork and all that. Honestly, and there's no offence intended here... but there's a bit of tunnel vision with your thoughts on this. Theft of other people's ideas is definitely commonplace in the advertising industry... but certainly not here, for sure.

All that's happened here is that a person took (from official promotional material) the silhouette image of Ethan Hawke who just happens to have his back to us and just happens to be carrying similar items to the figure in the 'Being There' poster. He also happens to be wearing slightly similar clothing, a hat and a long coat. But these items and clothes are part of the character in the film. He also made the background blue but if you head to Google and search in the images section for Predestination you're greeted with quite a fair bit of promotional material where the colour scheme is... very, very blue. The colour is also prominent in the film itself - Ethan Hawke's character wears a blue hat for example. There's the scenes where Sarah Snook is going through training and she and others are wearing a blue and white outfit. So it makes sense that the background is blue and not, say, red for example.

I could go on but I'm happy to leave it there if you want to, you know? Because we're both going around in circles here... but I'll be very surprised if any of this plagiarism talk lasts beyond this page... and that will say it all really.

Isn't plagiarism something universities and journalists made up for ethical reasons; it does not have a legal standing the same way that copyright, patents, registered designs and trademarks do. A steelbook cover design is art, so cannot be registered under a registered design or patent. Whether it breaches any trade marks would come down to what was originally registered under Being There (likely the name, font, image). The rules are they have to be distinctive and that just a general idea cannot be protected under trademark (e.g. back of man in coat and carrying things).

Generally, the purpose of all IP law is to protect consumers so they are not confused. It is why Aldi's own products were legally found to not breach IP of big brands - it was demonstrated that customers shopping in Aldi are not confused and think they are buying a brand when they are really, really not. I doubt anyone will buy Predestination thinking it is Being There, so I would not get worked up over it.

• Informative
Reactions: Dan Kyte
I am intrigue in this title. I haven't seen the movie. Is it worth the blind buy? The artwork looks nice though.. Replay value anyone?

I am intrigue in this title. I haven't seen the movie. Is it worth the blind buy? The artwork looks nice though.. Replay value anyone?

This movie has some loyal fans an some haters too. Watch it first. Personally, i loved it and look forward to seeing it again.

I watched it today; it wasn't what I expected it to be at all from the fairly vague IMDB description I'd seen, but I definitely thought it was a good film.
I'd happily watch it again soon personally.

Reactions: Dan
Anyone know what the print run is likely to be on this? I assume as it's not described as a limited run that it will be fairly sizeable, but on the other hand is this the sort of film that is likely to sell in large quantities?

I liked the artwork until someone pointed out the 'XXI' thing. It doesn't matter if it is intentional or not, it spoils the design in my opinion. To make things worse the disc is cropped according to reviews. I think I will be giving this one a miss and waiting to see what Kimchi produce.

• Informative
Reactions: lolwut
I liked the artwork until someone pointed out the 'XXI' thing. It doesn't matter if it is intentional or not, it spoils the design in my opinion. To make things worse the disc is cropped according to reviews. I think I will be giving this one a miss and waiting to see what Kimchi produce.
Yeah, sorry about mentioning that..:woot:

The bigger problem though is the cropped video transfer, I noticed immediately the film started (I have the amaray) when it was shown in 16:9 full screen that the trailers I'd seen sometime before were 2:35.1 letterbox. But i'll be honest, it didn't take away from the film, as it is mostly narrative, rather than action, but still disappointing I'm missing the full film.

And if this this type of time travel film is your scene, you could do a lot worse than checking out Triangle and Timecrimes, both films are VERY similar to this, especially Timecrimes (Los Cronocrimenes).

Reactions: orezlyrad
Had another message from Dan (the artwork designer/competition winner) over the weekend (following up on his original comments) that I missed until this morning.
Thought some of you would want to know/be happy about it.

"Just to let you know I believe signature have gone with the 12 option but the visuals just show 21."

Last edited:

the replay value in it for me is not for a solo show unless a year or more away ... the replay value for me is more about WHO I am wanting to show this flick to. ie. the experience. I'll rewatch movies with friends or fam that I want them to experience then I enjoy seeing their reactions etc. So this movie IMO has replay value if you like that sort of thing. Cause when people figure it out .... priceless.

The bigger problem though is the cropped video transfer, I noticed immediately the film started (I have the amaray) when it was shown in 16:9 full screen that the trailers I'd seen sometime before were 2:35.1 letterbox. But i'll be honest, it didn't take away from the film, as it is mostly narrative, rather than action, but still disappointing I'm missing the full film.

Where did you find this out? (clearly from watching the disc, but did you also see it at the cinema too?) I know there was a similar discussion re: aspect ratio on the thread for 'Buried'. I find dvdcompare.net is a useful source of info regarding aspect ratios, encoding, etc, but this is usually very close to, or after, the blu-ray has been released.

Where did you find this out? (clearly from watching the disc, but did you also see it at the cinema too?) I know there was a similar discussion re: aspect ratio on the thread for 'Buried'. I find dvdcompare.net is a useful source of info regarding aspect ratios, encoding, etc, but this is usually very close to, or after, the blu-ray has been released.
Never seen it at the cinema, but watched the trailers on youtube, and that's where the problem lies.

I've checked some of the scenes in the trailer and compared to the UK disc, and its cropped (left and right sides chopped off), so the image is zoomed in to fill a 16:9 widescreen TV.

Again, didn't bother me as the film & image quality is still excellent, but understandably will annoy some.

And if this this type of time travel film is your scene, you could do a lot worse than checking out Triangle and Timecrimes, both films are VERY similar to this, especially Timecrimes (Los Cronocrimenes).
Both good films,particularly Timecrimes
clear.png

Never seen it at the cinema, but watched the trailers on youtube, and that's where the problem lies.

I've checked some of the scenes in the trailer and compared to the UK disc, and its cropped (left and right sides chopped off), so the image is zoomed in to fill a 16:9 widescreen TV.

Again, didn't bother me as the film & image quality is still excellent, but understandably will annoy some.
Trailers often use different aspect ratio and even different film stock compared to actual theatrical film.