Purchase link: HMV
Price: £19.99
HDN Group Buy: Naughtius Maximus hosting

01-288712.jpg

pics below from luke :thumbs:

the_hateful_eight_packshot_open_outside-1-fit-to-width-431x431-q80-png.234579

the_hateful_eight_packshot_inside-2-fit-to-width-431x431-q80-png.234580

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems to be a widespread quality control issue with this steelbook sold by HMV although of course the issue is NOT with HMV but with the manufacturer . . .
Don't remember reading such things about any particular steelbook sold by Zavvi though, and please remind me if there was/is a particular steelbook sold by Zavvi with a widespread (Scotland, Liverpool, London etc.) quality control issue like this one.
Dread to think if this was sold through Zavvi how many messages I'd be reading now slagging them off for daring to sell a misaligned steelbook !

Last edited:
Dread to think if this was sold through Zavvi how many messages I'd be reading now slagging them off for daring to sell a misaligned steelbook !

To be fair HMV have earned the benefit of the doubt because their releases have generally been of a good all-round quality. Zavvi lost that privilege a loooooong time, though as you say it's mostly down to issues other than manufacturing quality* - but that's why people have no patience with zavvi.

*Technically you could argue that their Marvel lenticulars have had manufacturing flaws, so their record isn't exactly clean there either ;)

Reactions: Flloydo
er sigill if you look at the little men by the cabin and hold at the correct angle in good light does look 4 out of the 6 have been spot glossed as are very shiny but you do need good light to see it.

a pic that sort of shows it earlier from @MCMXCII in the thread

image-jpeg.238267

basil :thumbs:

I think that's zero finish (or that metalic look) on the figures not spot gloss. You should be able to feel it if it's spot gloss and don't look it from the photo

Reactions: RabbitChen
Looks to me like a metallic paint job on those 3 further back characters - just a guess though as I don't have the SB in front of me yet.
BTW, not that it matters, but do we know which silhouette represents which character in the film - suppose anyone that's watched it will know (if that's an actual scene from the film ?)

Looks to me like a metallic paint job on those 3 further back characters - just a guess though as I don't have the SB in front of me yet.
BTW, not that it matters, but do we know which silhouette represents which character in the film - suppose anyone that's watched it will know (if that's an actual scene from the film ?)

I don't think there's an actual scene with them all standing outside like that, but the two closest silhouettes are Kurt Russell's character + his bounty (forget their names). You can probably figure out the rest based on their outfits and hats.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: virkia
Seems to be a widespread quality control issue with this steelbook sold by HMV although of course the issue is NOT with HMV but with the manufacturer . . .
Don't remember reading such things about any particular steelbook sold by Zavvi though, and please remind me if there was/is a particular steelbook sold by Zavvi with a widespread (Scotland, Liverpool, London etc.) quality control issue like this one.
The Jungle Book was one which was reported by many to have misaligned embossing. There have been a few others, e.g., The Aviator, but the issue has probably not been as widespread as with The Jungle Book and now with The Hateful Eight.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: virkia
To be fair HMV have earned the benefit of the doubt because their releases have generally been of a good all-round quality. Zavvi lost that privilege a loooooong time, though as you say it's mostly down to issues other than manufacturing quality* - but that's why people have no patience with zavvi.

*Technically you could argue that their Marvel lenticulars have had manufacturing flaws, so their record isn't exactly clean there either ;)

Now that you mention it I think that the only flaws with some of the lenti steels from the tail-end of last year were/are more to do with the lentis not lining up with the surrounding artwork on the cases although that certainly hasn't stopped the majority of them from selling out about six months later and those hopefully waiting for price drops to the GBP 12.99 - 14.99 level are bound to be feeling disappointed now . . .
That being said I for one do not hold Zavvi responsible for any part of the design of those steels or of those lentis . . . that's my view unless someone has information to the contrary.
Anyway, not a fan of HMV or of most of their limited steelbook releases and I personally feel they can never hold a candle to Zavvi now or in the future for a number of reasons which I can't elaborate on here.

The Jungle Book was one which was reported by many to have misaligned embossing. There have been a few others, e.g., The Aviator, but the issue has probably not been as widespread as with The Jungle Book and now with The Hateful Eight.
Thanks for that - I'll check my copy of each of those you noted when I get a chance.
Still, pretty darn good . . . 2 out of about 420 (WHO FRAMED R.R. 25/3/2013 to INDEPENDENCE DAY 30/5/16) or about 0.48% . . . lol. 'Nuff said.
BTW, any others I should check while I'm at it (U.K. only) ?

Last edited:
Thanks for that - I'll check my copy of each of those you mention when I get the chance.
BTW, any others I should check while I'm at it (U.K. only) ?

There are seriously loads with embossing or debossing misalignments but it don't mean every single copy is like that.
Over the years I've had loads and especially from zavvi. If I send them back for a replacement sometimes it's better and aligned and sometimes not, probably meaning more in the batch are affected. You might have some with issues not many others have or vice versa.
But serioulsy there have been loads. Quite a few of the Disney collection steels have had it and I've sent them back for replacements

I don't think there's an actual scene with them all standing outside like that, but the two closest silhouettes are Kurt Russell's character + his bounty (forget their names). You can probably figure out the rest based on their outfits and hats.

Also there is no slope/ hill like that outside the front of the cabin. It's just to add effect and drama but also this

Only if you seen the film..

It shows the ambush with them all waiting at the top - obviously Sam Jackson and the new sherif aren't part of the ambush but it's for the affect for that poster art to show all characters.

Her name is daisy

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: JCC
er sigill if you look at the little men by the cabin and hold at the correct angle in good light does look 4 out of the 6 have been spot glossed as are very shiny but you do need good light to see it.

a pic that sort of shows it earlier from @MCMXCII in the thread

image-jpeg.238267

basil :thumbs:

Caught in the right light the blood trail shines a bit too :)

Picked mine up earlier and the title is ever so slightly mis-aligned with the embossing. However, not sure I would have even noticed if I wasn't actively looking for it. Every Tarantino steel I own is a matte finish, so the lack of gloss doesent even bother me.

Personally I think its a lovely steel and my favourite artwork of the bunch. Really looking forward to watching this film again.

Yes, take your point and that's why I decided my post was unnecessary and deleted it :)
It's only the completist in me that would encourage double-dips on the previous and inferior Zavvi R.D. and on the standalone KILL BILL 1 & 2 (and patiently waiting for sensible pricing on those two . . . )
Hoping for a U.K. release of your BASTERDS and got to admit prefer the front of GRINDHOUSE to the back.

At the end of the day, a lovely group :thumbs:

Last edited:
@virkia If I'd have bought the Zavvi edition first, then I would have bough the Mondo as well, but as I bought the Mondo, I don't overly want to get the zavvi edition. As for the Kill Bill steelboks, I too am waiting for a decent price for them as I would prefer a separate steel per film, but I will wait for them to be half the price collectively that at what they are at the moment. I bought the German edition of Basterds, as I was waiting for a UK version for ages but I found this one for less than £15, so I thought better safe than sorry! :) I thought that for the sake of the photo I would flip Grindhouse around, I think it looks better. :)

Cheers ;)

Every single copy at one of my local hmv stores has been mis-aligned.

Decided not to bother buying it since it would bother me in the long term. I'll check another store and see if they have a better copy.