The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Ext (3D+2D Blu-ray Jumbo SteelBook) (Future Shop Excl.) [Canada]

Jul 20, 2012
Toronto, ON
Release date: November 18, 2014
Purchase link: FutureShop.ca
Price: $44.99
Group Buy: Drum18

Notes: 2,000 units, Matte finish
Printed for Canada only.

HDOS EE_JUMBO STEELBK_GLAM (9-2).jpg

Last edited:
Dragon no matter what release must be on front ARTWORK

Why? He was barely featured in this movie

It's not so much how long someone or something appears in a particular movie, but the impact the individual makes.
Take A Few Good Men for example. It was a Tom Cruise vehicle, but watch that courtroom scene with Jack Nicolson and you clearly see who was the star of that movie.

Thank you for that ! I stated that I wouldn't buy a steel if it wasn't the Dragon on the cover and he replied the statement that you addressed, thank you for that argument. For me the dragon is so part of this movie, you know all the way from the beginning that it will be THE encounter.

Reactions: harry and Blu-devil
Well when he first showed up, he made quite an impression indeed. But once he acted like a cliché villain (chasing the hero, but doing nothing once he has him cornered) that impression faded quite quickly...

well my friend, with all do respect, if you don't like the Dragon as the Artwork cover no need to continue to go back and forth on this subject, this steelbook doesn't seem to your liking so there is always the UK version that will be nice as well, it might suit your needs better.

Reactions: harry
Jumbos always make me cringe, despite the art and discs they may have.

This is a pass for me. Hoping Amazon JP releases something similar to that excellent Hobbit release of theirs.

It turns out that Peter Jackson has only approved matte finish for us. Mind you it makes sense with all the previous releases

damn you jackson damn you, can't have everything but it would have been soooooo nice with gloss

cheers for info zerox
basil:thumbs:

damn you jackson damn you, can't have everything but it would have been soooooo nice with gloss

cheers for info zerox
basil:thumbs:

I just picked up the UK Theatrical Steelbook from HMV last saturday and I have to admit that I'm very ipressed with the finish of this one, much better than the EE of An Unexpected Journey. As long as the finish is as smooth as this one I'll be happy.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: ded7
I would like to know this as well @zerox39. I was actually expecting a lower $30's price tag...

It is unlikely that it would be in the 30's for a Jumbo steelbook (this is the Extended Edition), regular new releases tend to be between 26.99 to 29.99 as a normal price(for 2 disks), now with this edition it is more likely to be a 5 disk set...I would not expect this to go lower than the price it dipped at 44.99 (even regular 3D releases I've seen in store for that price). But than again we can always hope, I would be happy too.

It is unlikely that it would be in the 30's for a Jumbo steelbook (this is the Extended Edition), regular new releases tend to be between 26.99 to 29.99 as a normal price(for 2 disks), now with this edition it is more likely to be a 5 disk set...I would not expect this to go lower than the price it dipped at 44.99 (even regular 3D releases I've seen in store for that price). But than again we can always hope, I would be happy too.
First Hobbit EE was 29.99$ on release day and it included the 3D (and there was a mixup about 2D... but that's another story).
screen-shot-2013-10-31-at-12-07-37-pm-png.50470

Thor2 had 3D+2D: 26.99$
Captain2 had 3D+2D: 26.99$

Wow that looks pretty awesome. Almost makes me want to go back and collect all the LOTR steels. Almost (I don't own any of the movies right now, so it would be time/money consuming, I think).

Same here, first hobbit last year, I just got the Amaray and the Extended Version also as I wasn't collecting at that time... but I decided to get this one as the artwork is just superb, they have the same artwork for the Amaray Extended Edition at amazon.com, but compared price and it comes down to the same price about so decided to get this beauty. since I hadn't bought any of the lord of the rings series yet I don't know what I'll do with that. The Amaray would go nicer beside the first hobbit Extended edition as they are made to look similar side by side, from same detailed artwork so 1 and 2 amaray look nice together, but I can't pass up on this steel.

PS: first Hobbit Extended Edition 5 disk set artwork sucks, I thought about going back and buying it but artwork is just so unappealing to me, I'd rather skip even if it means I won't have the full series on steel.