The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Extended Edition (3D +2D Blu-ray SteelBook) [UK]

morfeusz

Premium Supporter
Jun 23, 2013
Colnbrook UK
Release date: November 3rd, 2014
Buy link:
Amazon UK £24.99
Zavvi.com £24.99
Play.com £21.99
WowHD £28.99
Base £24.99

01.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
To add to the damage
Went in store to HMV at lunch time.
Took a good look and could see no damage on the one I picked.
Back at work and took off the cellophane wrap........ Lovely long scratch on the front.
Went back after work for a replacement..... No problem
The sales assistant and me picked another one.
Got it home......... Took off the cellophane ...... Another scratch on the back behind the card.

Should I take it back again?

I so want to watch this tonight

So mine arrived today from ES. Nice sturdy packaging. Front and back (even under the J card) are absolutely spot on. But there's an odd problem that I've never seen with the spine...

It seems to be too small and not stuck on straight. @Flloydo & @mr blue you guys seem to have the same problem:

EDIT: Never mind, I'm just being as dense as all hell. All my other jumbos have this big metal border too. Dunno why it struck me as odd this time. Maybe because it's off centre.

1S9Rrrc.jpg

Last edited:
Zavvi have replied with offer of 20% partial refund :angry:
I knew they would do this but they should not do this if a replacement is requested
Why have they not read my message which clearly states I want a replacement

I have sent another message
They should read what's been asked from their customers before sending out auto responses

I now await there agreement to send me a replacement which I have insisted is sent in a box fully protected for transit to me
Sending a box set that a jumbo steelbook in a bubble mailer will result in very high chance of damage and is their best interest not to use this

Reactions: harry
I have decided to skip getting a jumbo for this. Instead I will get the amaray release which has an amazing dragon Lenticular slipcase and just make a custom lenticular magnet for the standard theatrical edition steelbook . Problem of jumbo solved.

Funny that zavvi rushed to ship this one yet the "key to erebor" edition (non steel) hasn't even been charged on my card, and release day is today

I have decided to skip getting a jumbo for this. Instead I will get the amaray release which has an amazing dragon Lenticular slipcase and just make a custom lenticular magnet for the standard theatrical edition steelbook . Problem of jumbo solved.

Haha wouldn't exactly call it an amazing lenti , you could have gone for the cooler fs version

Well mine arrived from ES yesterday in nice sturdy packaging.... with a nice big dent on the front cover side! Send an email to ES asking for a replacement

For once, mine arrived without scratches. Though, one of the two little plastic thingies that keep the steel closed (the ones that make the "click" sound) was broken.
So, no visible damages to the eye, but basically partial inside damage, that doesn't really afflict the steelbook.

I can't decide whether to write to Zavvi and ask for a small partial refund or just leave it be.

Maybe wise but not sure how you can guarantee a good copy from anywhere
True only place is an open one on eBay or go hmv and give it an inspection. More than likely order it off amazon so if I have any problems can send it right back.

Just got an email from zavvi saying the "key to erebor" edition is delayed, no date given.
Frigging frustrating. This was meant to be out on the same date as the steelbook and regular edition.

Just to confirm, this has Dutch subtitles?
Does this mean that the 2D disk has dutch subs , but there are no dutch subs on the 3D disk?
is this correct??
I hope not, I expected that this steel would have the same subs just like the extended steelbook of the hobbit
yes, unfortunately it is correct: this UK edition contains the 2D disc with EU lang/subs (ITA/FRE & NED subs), but the 3D disc is the same as the US edition (different lang/subs). Shame on WB!! :mad::angry:
Dutch subs on 2D disc only

Last edited:
Reactions: Xenomorph