The Thing (Limited Edition) (Blu-ray) (Arrow Video) [UK]

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Release Date: October 23rd , 2017
Purchase Links: Arrow Films (Sold Out) - Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMVhttps://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/the-thing-limited-edition/11515183.html
Price: £17.99 (Arrow) - £19.99 (Amazon - Zavvi - Hmv)
Notes: Limited to 6,000

IMG_9630.JPG

IMG_9631.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Local shops dont have half the stuff you get worldwide ie amazon,i been buying from amazon usa long before amazon uk was around and collected loads over the years with no issues.
But they are getting worse and im sure others agree.
Zavvi to me are even worse but i take my chances now and again but are so slow to arrive here.
Amazon dominate the market really and seem to please themselves what or how the send or pack stuff.
Either using cheaper and crap couriers i not heard of of before.
I know distance plays a big part arriving ok here but no excuse on what they pack with. Maybe if they gave you the option to pay extra to have boxed i probably do that.
But common sense should not have to.
Prime example grimm collection in a jiffy bag not cheap and heavy and fragile.
It does not matter if you used the quickest shipping amazon had it still be packed same way so see no point in that.
Jiffy bags really should only be for single blu rays not collector sets,box sets or items with plastic clear case etc.
I know jb hifi even send in bags used once but never again, better to use in store for pre orders.
Yes people get luckly and are ok but im sure many on here have had jb orders arrive with issues.
I have even started again on steels from zavvi not had a issues yet but im sure that come. As there boxes are not the best as to thrown in a single sheet of bubble if that im sure help.
I remember when they used to ship in boxes like play.com.
But like all companies most are trying to cut costs on packing and cost of couriers which dont make sense if more orders have issues.
But maybe im the only one lol.
Ebay sellers have been best for me so far lately but sometimes your paying much more for items.
But i suppose we are lucky in a way companies send to australia or the few that do.
But it aint hard for them to really see what your order is and pick suitable packaging for it either they have no clue or are told to pack this way.
Anyway you have started me off again on this jiffy bag saga lol.
Basically if us collectors from Australia want to have this hobby we have to deal with packaging despite how good or bad it is. It seems no matter how much we complain about the way items are packaged it doesnt make a lot of difference. Just have to take the good with the bad.

• Thanks
Reactions: MrsRobinson
Basically if us collectors from Australia want to have this hobby we have to deal with packaging despite how good or bad it is. It seems no matter how much we complain about the way items are packaged it doesnt make a lot of difference. Just have to take the good with the bad.
Yes maybe so but i have had more bad than good lately and amazon can do something about it but they dont. Back in the day when amazon started they did pack well,they used to do a lot of stuff better than today. But its true what they say the bigger a company get the worse they get and become more greedy.
And example using cheap couriers and unsuitable packing. God was not even long ago in uk you could order any value item and be free delivery im sure you got to spend £20 now but i maybe wrong there.
Im sure maybe many would agree if they asked us to pay a little extra to get better packing etc we would but we should not have too.
I suppose i dont have much options zavvi or amazon for or buy local if only local would get the same stuff.
Maybe amazon coming here might change things for us in australia or maybe it still be cheaper overseas just need to wait and see.

Of course it's not your picture Brian, I found it on Google... It was supposed to be a light hearted joke against how Amazon send your packages. I'm sorry you didn't get the joke or see the funny side. I imagine it is frustrating and infuriating getting package after package like this but if it really angers you that much then why not simply stick to collecting something you can get readily available in your local shops. You'll never change the way Amazon ship their packages. And you're right mate, I never have to share stories of how my packages arrive because they never arrived banged up or torn like yours.
I actually find it super interesting just how people in the same country can have completely different experiences with how their stuff arrives from Amazon. While I think Amazon need to shoulder the blame for how badly they package stuff now, you also gotta take into consideration the post office and sorting centres mishandling things as well. Maybe the posties in Tasmania treat their job more seriously :rofl: Just out of curiosity, how do you usually order your stuff? Do you only get one thing at a time, or large orders? I'm in the same boat as @bwatt99 nowadays and am getting more and more damages nowadays. At least with Amazon it's pretty easy to get a replacement, except they always make me send stuff back now even when it's beaten to hell and back. That being said though, from personal experience I've had up to four replacements arrive equally damaged.

On another note, the release date is getting closer and closer and my order from Amazon still hasn't been cancelled even though I ordered multiple copies. I continue to wait with bated breath.

I actually find it super interesting just how people in the same country can have completely different experiences with how their stuff arrives from Amazon. While I think Amazon need to shoulder the blame for how badly they package stuff now, you also gotta take into consideration the post office and sorting centres mishandling things as well. Maybe the posties in Tasmania treat their job more seriously :rofl: Just out of curiosity, how do you usually order your stuff? Do you only get one thing at a time, or large orders? I'm in the same boat as @bwatt99 nowadays and am getting more and more damages nowadays. At least with Amazon it's pretty easy to get a replacement, except they always make me send stuff back now even when it's beaten to hell and back. That being said though, from personal experience I've had up to four replacements arrive equally damaged.

On another note, the release date is getting closer and closer and my order from Amazon still hasn't been cancelled even though I ordered multiple copies. I continue to wait with bated breath.

Yes thats the only good thing about them they sort things out or are good to deal with,and you are right sorting office etc who knows what goes on with them in these places.
But even boxed items these days dont even come with packing inside or not enough.
Look at japan for example very simple idea and it works.
Maybe In western australia they treat the parcels with less care etc but this is not the reason packing prior to 2017 was fine.
Amazon usa is my worst at present. Others i have had the odd issue.
Canada maybe following usa route but not sure yet as my last order might have been a one off.

Yeah, Me and Brian have had this conversation many times. We don't know why identical items from Amazon arrive without a scratch for me, and Brian's look like they've been attacked by a pack of an angry beavers. I said maybe it's because I get mine delivered to my business and because they're delivered by my regular delivery guys, the packages get treated better? Or maybe you're right @Futurhythm - the posties in Tassie are just more respectful overall. My Amazon orders vary. Some are bulk, some are single. Single items (most recently 47 Meters Down for example) arrived in a jiffy bag but I've never once had one turn up opened or torn, and the items inside have all been pristine besides maybe the odd minor creasing on a Blu Ray's cardboard sleeve at the top or bottom of the spine. In all the years I've been collecting I've only ever had to send one thing back to Amazon and that was a Godzilla steelbook - it actually looked like Godzilla had stood on it. You're right too in saying Amazon can't shoulder the entire blame. If you was to order a single drinking glass from Amazon and it had no packaging, it could still arrive in one piece if the post office and sorting centres treated it with care. Personally I think life's too short to worry about how an item may arrive. This hobby should be fun but unfortunately for some collectors, their obsession over packaging and items arriving damaged is taking the fun out of it for them.

• Thanks
... This hobby should be fun but unfortunately for some collectors, their obsession over packaging and items arriving damaged is taking the fun out of it for them.
Mark, I'd be one of those... you can't imagine how many times shipments arrived in torn boxes, or with holes and cuts and et cetera (as Hedwig would put it, lol), just recently got a bent Martian steelbook from Zavvi. It's definitely taking all the fun out of collecting. Importing really really... really sucks in my country, the taxes are insane, so after I pay for the premium item, for shipping that's usually very high (because Slovenia is apparently somewhere near Mars) and crazy import fees, and then get a bent steelbook or a scruffy looking digipack, it just all becomes so disappointing and pointless. I know, I'd be so much better off just getting plain amaray releases, less hassle, but I can't. I tried, seriously, I have, but I can't. Bit of S&M thrown in there, I guess, but despite all the bad things, I still love collecting my fave releases far too much to quit. So, enough nagging, off to pre-order something! :LOL:;)

PS - believe it or not, digipacks and digibooks I got from Australia are actually the ones that sure, they got hit by customs, but they always arrived mint ;) And insanely fast.

• Thanks
Reactions: Futurhythm

How many multiple copies did you order :whistle: :rofl:
Arrow did say the following a few months ago
We are also keeping a close eye on all orders coming in (as will our retail partners) and excessive multiple orders will be cancelled to ensure as many of our dedicated fans can get hold of this release as possible.

Some retailers though won't care how many a customer orders but some might reduce or cancel orders when they start to pick orders for shipping and notice a same address for multiple separate orders as in excessive amounts

Personally I think life's too short to worry about how an item may arrive. This hobby should be fun but unfortunately for some collectors, their obsession over packaging and items arriving damaged is taking the fun out of it for them.

Mark, I'd be one of those... you can't imagine how many times shipments arrived in torn boxes, or with holes and cuts and et cetera (as Hedwig would put it, lol), just recently got a bent Martian steelbook from Zavvi. It's definitely taking all the fun out of collecting. Importing really really... really sucks in my country, the taxes are insane, so after I pay for the premium item, for shipping that's usually very high (because Slovenia is apparently somewhere near Mars) and crazy import fees, and then get a bent steelbook or a scruffy looking digipack, it just all becomes so disappointing and pointless. I know, I'd be so much better off just getting plain amaray releases, less hassle, but I can't. I tried, seriously, I have, but I can't. Bit of S&M thrown in there, I guess, but despite all the bad things, I still love collecting my fave releases far too much to quit. So, enough nagging, off to pre-order something! :LOL:;)

PS - believe it or not, digipacks and digibooks I got from Australia are actually the ones that sure, they got hit by customs, but they always arrived mint ;) And insanely fast.

That's the thing, isn't it? Who doesn't like nice things? Plus if we're willing to pay a premium and jump through all the hoops to get them, why shouldn't we expect them to arrive in good condition or be packed well?

Judging by the pictures of your very impressive collection @Mark Wilson, all your stuff really does get to you in mint condition.I think you're insanely lucky that you've never really had any of the packaging woes and damages that quite a few of us get all the time. I find it unfair that you think we're taking the fun out this hobby when we complain about damages (especially if they're a common occurrence) since getting something damaged is the worst thing that happens in any kind of collecting.

How many multiple copies did you order :whistle: :rofl:
Arrow did say the following a few months ago
We are also keeping a close eye on all orders coming in (as will our retail partners) and excessive multiple orders will be cancelled to ensure as many of our dedicated fans can get hold of this release as possible.

Some retailers though won't care how many a customer orders but some might reduce or cancel orders when they start to pick orders for shipping and notice a same address for multiple separate orders as in excessive amounts

I ordered three, except I'm also getting one for a friend, so the third is like a damage buffer. I heard Amazon cancelled orders up to three copies, so I've been holding my breath since.

• Thanks
That's the thing, isn't it? Who doesn't like nice things? Plus if we're willing to pay a premium and jump through all the hoops to get them, why shouldn't we expect them to arrive in good condition or be packed well?

Judging by the pictures of your very impressive collection @Mark Wilson, all your stuff really does get to you in mint condition.I think you're insanely lucky that you've never really had any of the packaging woes and damages that quite a few of us get all the time. I find it unfair that you think we're taking the fun out this hobby when we complain about damages (especially if they're a common occurrence) since getting something damaged is the worst thing that happens in any kind of collecting.

I ordered three, except I'm also getting one for a friend, so the third is like a damage buffer. I heard Amazon cancelled orders up to three copies, so I've been holding my breath since.

@Futurhythm sorry mate, I think you misunderstood. I meant it's becoming less fun for the individual who's item arrives damaged because they're worrying about how it will arrive before it's even arrived (if that makes sense). I wasn't suggesting collectors who have their items arrive damaged are taking the fun out of it for everyone. Far from it. I merely meant it's supposed to be a fun hobby and it's upsetting to think some collectors can't enjoy it because of their packaging woes.

@Futurhythm sorry mate, I think you misunderstood. I meant it's becoming less fun for the individual who's item arrives damaged because they're worrying about how it will arrive before it's even arrived (if that makes sense). I wasn't suggesting collectors who have their items arrive damaged are taking the fun out of it for everyone. Far from it. I merely meant it's supposed to be a fun hobby and it's upsetting to think some collectors can't enjoy it because of their packaging woes.
Theres no point worrying, and thats coming from me who worrys about everything lol. Like whats the point? You get the edition, if its smashed up, just complain and get a return or a refund. Or accept it. Thats what I do. Luckily for me I have very few editions that come wrecked.

I agree @Futurhythm obviously @Mark Wilson rarely gets damaged or none. And @elle82 its the principal of it all why should we need to mess around with returns or buy multiple items if packing can be improved.
The fun is not taken away from me in collecing it just annoys me you when you pay good money for some stuff they dont give a sh**t how then send it.
Come on grimm collection in a jiffy bag is a prime example.
@Mark Wilson you even told me once your big sleeve editions from zavvi was well packed in bubble wrap etc etc times have changed then as mine was send in card envelope almost not big enough to cover item with no protection yet get a bit banged up at corners and all sent separate.
Unless you get special treatment on packing maybe buying more than others im not sure.
I think if you had been getting your stuff like i have been lately and i have been buying for a while you be pi**ed too.
Its not about refunds,returns its they could improve well for me anyway, obviously its not affecting you so why worry.

Theres no point worrying, and thats coming from me who worrys about everything lol. Like whats the point? You get the edition, if its smashed up, just complain and get a return or a refund. Or accept it. Thats what I do. Luckily for me I have very few editions that come wrecked.

Yes you have very few editions that have issues then no need to worry then.

• Thanks
Reactions: elle82
Obviously @Mark Wilson you get fun from posting up a picture of a ripped open jiffy bag which happened to look very similar to a recent order from canada i had.
Dont see anything funny about that more so the issues i have had on many orders from amazon usa.
Anyway this post is about the thing ltd set so lets leave it at that.

Yes you have very few editions that have issues then no need to worry then.
I buy a lot of expensive older and rarer blu ray and dvd editions that could easily break but im lucky none of them have. Packaging isn't always the best. But i guess im just lucky. Unfortunately you arent as lucky and nearly everything you buy gets damaged. It sucks.

Obviously @Mark Wilson you get fun from posting up a picture of a ripped open jiffy bag which happened to look very similar to a recent order from canada i had.
Dont see anything funny about that more so the issues i have had on many orders from amazon usa.
Anyway this post is about the thing ltd set so lets leave it at that.
@bwatt99 it really was meant as a joke mate, I thought we were friends and you'd find it funny but it clearly upset you so once again I apologise. What I won't apologise for is how well my items arrive. How they're delivered to me is completely out of my control and if that upsets you then that's something you're gonna have to work out for yourself. I empathize with your situation but make no apologies for my own.

• Thanks
Reactions: elle82
I buy a lot of expensive older and rarer blu ray and dvd editions that could easily break but im lucky none of them have. Packaging isn't always the best. But i guess im just lucky. Unfortunately you arent as lucky and nearly everything you buy gets damaged. It sucks.

I would not say everything just from amazon and more this year and it aint down to how its handled etc its simply packing they used is not suitable. I have had stuff sent with ups and dhl some as quick as 5 days yet still issues.
Does not matter if it arrived in a day if items are not packed right to come all the way to australia then its guaranteed to have issues.
I do enjoy collecting this stuff but it sure puts me off when im paying good money for stuff that dont arrive how us collectors want them.
Fair enough if a seller sends something that's poorly packed then thats down to seller with very little experience in packing.
But when it comes down to amazon no excuse they know the value of items they know what it should be sent in but they dont care.
Or some get there items sent one way and others sent another way ie type of packing used.
I be happy to pay extra to get items packed well but being amazon they dont work that way.
I have sent many very fragile items around the world previous to moving to australia and they are more fragile than any of these yet not one issue.
But anyway all i can do is keep buying or look into other places that sell same but make an effort.
There will be many on this forum that's never once had issues with packing or damaged items and there be others that have.
For me its happening too often.
But at least with amazon you can sort it out but they surely cant have much buyers complain for returns/refunds as you would think they improve. But the saying goes bigger a company gets the less they care or get worse at certain things.

@bwatt99 it really was meant as a joke mate, I thought we were friends and you'd find it funny but it clearly upset you so once again I apologise. What I won't apologise for is how well my items arrive. How they're delivered to me is completely out of my control and if that upsets you then that's something you're gonna have to work out for yourself. I empathize with your situation but make no apologies for my own.

Im cool mate i sent you a pm