Who wants to see "New Release" Mondo SteelBooks in the USA?

Do you want "new release" Mondo Blu-ray SteelBooks in the USA?

• YES

Votes: 298 89.2%
  • NO

Votes: 36 10.8%

• Total voters

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Guys I've seen some art and slips that are literally "out of this world". PA quality. However I hear it's hard to get US studios on board for new releases as they don't know if there is enough interest. So here's your chance to show your interest and just like threads in the past I'll pass this on to my contacts.

For those of you who don't live in the USA just keep in mind that most studios in the USA have studios in other Countries so if successful here the sooner you will see it in your Country.

And of course you can always obtain copies from other HDN members via Group Buys.

mods: I'll move this to Mondo SteelBook section in a day or 2.

Yes! I've been very pleased with steelbooks gaining popularity here in the USA over the past year or two. Now it's time to put out a special line like this. Thanks for the thread, Wreck!

Reactions: digitalbabe
@Wreck I think that you misused the word "literally" in the OP. Unless you meant to say that NASA is considering entering the blu-ray business and you've seen pictures/footage of slips on the International Space Station. Can you confirm or deny at this time that NASA will be the next to enter the steelbook business? Or not allowed to say? :naughty: :watch: :cool: :p

Also, I plan to collect Mondo steelbooks either way: If it just stays in Canada, I'll continue joining the GB's. If it comes to the US, then :OMG: :kiss: :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

How many steels would they print to fulfill American retail demands? 10k? 15k? 20k? 25k? maybe more? "Limited edition" goes out the door once an item hits American, UK, DE, etc. retailers simply out the fact that more need to be printed to fulfill retail demand in larger population countries. For that reason and the same reason I quit steelbooks in the first place (too many in too much quantity being made), as unpopular of an opinion that may be I vote No. If I just want a mass produced copy of something, Ill buy the cheapest option available out there.

@Wreck I think that you misused the word "literally" in the OP. Unless you meant to say that NASA is considering entering the blu-ray business and you've seen pictures/footage of slips on the International Space Station. Can you confirm or deny at this time that NASA will be the next to enter the steelbook business? Or not allowed to say? :naughty: :watch: :cool: :p

Also, I plan to collect Mondo steelbooks either way: If it just stays in Canada, I'll continue joining the GB's. If it comes to the US, then :OMG: :kiss: :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:
just lol

Reactions: Marina Blue
How many steels would they print to fulfill American retail demands? 10k? 15k? 20k? 25k? maybe more? "Limited edition" goes out the door once an item hits American, UK, DE, etc. retailers simply out the fact that more need to be printed to fulfill retail demand in larger population countries. For that reason and the same reason I quit steelbooks in the first place (too many in too much quantity being made), as unpopular of an opinion that may be I vote No. If I just want a mass produced copy of something, Ill buy the cheapest option available out there.
Jay it's cool, definitely really depends on collector and what's important to you. No word on runs for these as this is in interest thread to support Mondo in USA only, but there have been Steelbooks printed in quantities much higher and still sold out of course, due to popularity etc. Depending on what choices are made by parties involved, this will still be limited vs general Amaray etc production.

For everyone-this is a thread to help these amazing artists appear on limited print collectibles, that are given extra care in printing, so do continue to have your voices heard if you're a fan! Thanks guys!

Jay it's cool, definitely really depends on collector and what's important to you. No word on runs for these as this is in interest thread to support Mondo in USA only, but there have been Steelbooks printed in quantities much higher and still sold out of course, due to popularity etc. Depending on what choices are made by parties involved, this will still be limited vs general Amaray etc production.

For everyone-this is a thread to help these amazing artists appear on limited print collectibles, that are given extra care in printing, so do continue to have your voices heard if you're a fan! Thanks guys!

That is true each individual collector will have different buying habits. Of course a steelbook run will be much smaller than an amaray run, but in rebuttal, I would ask at what point do we stop calling something a "limited" edition? I suppose that is up to each individual person to decide since anything can be labelled a "limited" edition as long as its a smaller in run than the mass produced counterpart product. For me any steelbook print run over 4-6k run is no longer limited and it almost always takes more than that to fulfill retail demand in countries with larger populations to convince the retailer to put the product on shelves. I realize this is not a "limited edition" debate thread but for me its an issue that directly relates to the poll question. I only bought the Mondo steelbook releases because they were a low run release in steelbook format (in addition to amazing art on the steels), releasing it in the USA would make that most certainly untrue in my mind as the run size would increase. I know many people dont care for that line of thinking in this hobby anymore so Im just explaining why I voted no.

@Wreck F**K YEAH!!! I DO! :woot: :cool: :notworthy:

I definitely hope for Godzilla and Pacific Rim Exclusives! :drool:
Godzilla-Mondo-Artwork.jpg mondo-pacific-rim-poster-02_612x918.jpg

Almost spit out my drink, lol, a fine post sir.

well think mondo should be in us and canada to be honest, about time america got some more steels they need to improve.
if american studio get it as we do, it can only improve!
also a trick people are missing best buy is us and canada (ex fs god rest there souls) suddenly you got 2 countries for price of 1 with one retailer could feed bother and if mondo tied into both countrys suddenly you make everyone happy.
not that im saying best buy are all that but the coverage is massive which can only be a good thing.

thanks for the thread @Wreck well see where it goes :D

basil :thumbs:

That is true each individual collector will have different buying habits. Of course a steelbook run will be much smaller than an amaray run, but in rebuttal, I would ask at what point do we stop calling something a "limited" edition? I suppose that is up to each individual person to decide since anything can be labelled a "limited" edition as long as its a smaller in run than the mass produced counterpart product. For me any steelbook print run over 4-6k run is no longer limited and it almost always takes more than that to fulfill retail demand in countries with larger populations to convince the retailer to put the product on shelves. I realize this is not a "limited edition" debate thread but for me its an issue that directly relates to the poll question. I only bought the Mondo steelbook releases because they were a low run release in steelbook format (in addition to amazing art on the steels), releasing it in the USA would make that most certainly untrue in my mind as the run size would increase. I know many people dont care for that line of thinking in this hobby anymore so Im just explaining why I voted no.

See with the Mondo line I think there is plenty of opportunity for all consumers to love for one reason or another. It's versatile. I'm a collector at heart and I love limited edition stuff too. However the most popular limited edition stuff is that which has the most hype and demand. Well that hype and demand doesn't happen over night. It's built. The line is versatile enough to still have unique ones coming out in Best Buy Canada for example that are more limited in nature. It's also versatile enough to have a large print one in the USA and have another retailer pick up 1k or so with a variant slipcover or so forth. Mondo has expanded to selling toys, vinyl, and many other items besides just prints and tees. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that one day I'm sure they'll get a steelbook on their own web store. We all know HDN would pick up a 1k /2k variant :p ... The powers that be are currently more in touch with the collector side of things then ever before. So I think overall the line is in good hands and we'll all have a fun year of collecting!

Yeah totally makes sense Jay,thanks for sharing your personal criteria and further thoughts with the group. "Limited" generally has meant it won't keep getting reprinted (run is finite vs general amarays). However, different members have different ideas about what constitutes "limited" to them for sure. So since these will be new releases, it comes down to those factors, as well as what a collector prefers come new release day-an item that has a finite print run, or an amaray that continues to get printed.

Buying Mondo steelbooks from the US would definitely work out cheaper than from Canada (due to Canada's high shipping costs) so a definite yes from me.

Reactions: darczap