Horror Chat 2017 Last Horror watched-Annual HDN October Watch party! [Concluded-see you in 2018!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
watch party anim.gif

Hello horrific ninjas!

It's that time of year again where we get together and share recommendations, and the last horror film you watched in honor of the spookiest holiday of the year! Jump into this thread all throughout October and join the fun by sharing the flicks you're enjoying and win prizes along the way. Tag your favorite horror fans on the forum and let them know it's time to get creepy and gory at HDN!

Be sure to subscribe to the thread (Click "Watch Thread" the the top right of the thread, so that you know what fellow ninjas are watching, and enter to win prizes when you see me post a pic of candy corns.

Also, keep your eyes peeled on the front page of HDN and in the forum for additional giveaways, special announcement, during our third annual HDN HALLOWEEN FEST!

halloweenfest-facebook.png

Pre-order HDN Black Label # 3 Suspiria exclusively at http://shop.hidefninja.com
suspiria-728-ordernow.gif

horrorsideshow-728.jpg

Exclusive HDN Nosferatu pin live now!
nosferatu pinb&w.jpg

Last edited:
That was an excellent film! So much tension and definitely not the traditional horror. I didn't buy it after I watched it because I don't think it has much replay value, but that one-time watch... wow. Great flick!

Yeah I agree and with much re watch value but maybe I could in a few years. I'd happily by the score on vinyl

How daunting is the ending ending With the lanterns. I loved how his paranoia actually paid off for him. He's sees quite a few things like the knock on the door was obviously neighbours getting ready for it all, he sees the lantern etc. And the odd behaviour with the guy from zodiac and that chic too. Loved all that.

Have you seen coherence?

Watched 13 ghost again last weekend, one of my all time favourites

The one with Mathew lillard?

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
Yeah I agree and with much re watch value but maybe I could in a few years. I'd happily by the score on vinyl

How daunting is the ending ending With the lanterns. I loved how his paranoia actually paid off for him. He's sees quite a few things like the knock on the door was obviously neighbours getting ready for it all, he sees the lantern etc. And the odd behaviour with the guy from zodiac and that chic too. Loved all that.

Have you seen coherence?

The one with Mathew lillard?
Is it bad that I just had to imdb matthew illard?
I don't believe he is in it, it stars Tony Shalhoub.
It didn't get great reviews but is one of my favourites and the DVD had a special feature giving details about each individual ghost and how they were killed etc

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo

Have you seen coherence?

You know, I don't think I've seen Coherence, but it seems very similar to me... so maybe I watched it at some time?

As for The Invitation, the soundtrack was excellent! Definitely worthy of a purchase. And I agree with you about the film's end. It was hauntingly beautiful.

It didn't get great reviews but is one of my favourites and the DVD had a special feature giving details about each individual ghost and how they were killed etc

I liked Thirteen Ghosts, too. It's definitely creepy. And Matthew Lillard was in it, too. He played Dennis. :)

You know, I don't think I've seen Coherence, but it seems very similar to me... so maybe I watched it at some time?

As for The Invitation, the soundtrack was excellent! Definitely worthy of a purchase. And I agree with you about the film's end. It was hauntingly beautiful.

I liked Thirteen Ghosts, too. It's definitely creepy. And Matthew Lillard was in it, too. He played Dennis. :)

Mate watch coherence if you haven't seen it, and if you have..... Well **** it watch it again. I wouldn't class it as a horror. It's a sci fi but I suppose the situation is a horror in a way. CC got me into it and I love it now. Watched it 4 times already and only see for the first time about 8 months ago lol

I thought lillard was in that. Used to have the DVD. Might see if I can find that and watch it again lol

It's bad if you haven't seen scream 1 and his best work .... Scooby do :LOL:

Watched this yesterday. Cool French little thing. Truly f*cked up, loved it and recommend it.
hPOmT0.jpg

@digitalbabe @bloodsnake007
I watched Gerald's Game today.
I really liked the premises of the film but after 40 mins I turned it off. I lost interest when they turned up all over the place if you know what I mean? ;) Maybe I was just tired (I went to sleep ,lol. :p )and should give it another go?. When I think back on it, it was a bit 'what happens next'!
I think I need to find out!

@Flloydo
Coherence is quality, love that film.

Watched this yesterday. Cool French little thing. Truly f*cked up, loved it and recommend it.
hPOmT0.jpg

I really liked the premises of the film but after 40 mins I turned it off. I lost interest when they turned up all over the place if you know what I mean? ;) Maybe I was just tired (I went to sleep ,lol. :p )and should give it another go?. When I think back on it, it was a bit 'what happens next'!

@Flloydo

Raw is is on my list, watched a special on it a few months back and I fell in love with the director, looks like a good film

• Thanks
Reactions: spass
Watched the Demon Seed blu-ray from Warner Archive earlier. Always one of my favorites. Complex and prophetic, and interesting philosophically where AI is concerned, especially. Now checking out The Awakening, moody british set period ghost story. Rebecca Hall is very good in it and it’s nice and creepy.

• Thanks
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: tridon and Flloydo
hPOmT0.jpg

@Flloydo

Finish Gerald’s game...bit crazy what she has to do:)

Yesterday watched

• green room - only seen it once but I love this film. I don't really class this as a horror although it is that genre. Like don't breathe (another i love) I don't think just because its violent it should be a horror but then I suppose the scenarios they are both in are a horror (to be in). But yeah love it

• sirens - been on my list for a while and tbh forgot about it until @tridon mentioned it in his list. I wasn't really a fan, I loved the short in V/H/S and thought it was one of the better shorts to make into a feature but It felt really b movie to me. Couldn't stand the 2 mates or the guy who runs that weird brothel (he also had really annoying hand movements lol). They only really kept 2 things from the short and that was the girl/ creature - how she looked and acted and how took a shine to the guy.
I liked the changes to the story but thought they didn't pull it off well enough, maybe if they had a bigger budget and put a bit of heart into it, it wouldn't of looked like a channel 5 or syfy film. Was a few decent scenes and I like the little peaks into the other rooms we see in the hell brothel but there wasn't enough of them and as a whole I hated it.
Oh and i had it in my head this was also going to be found footage style like the short so that disappointed me that it wasn't. Wanted my found footage fix after the visit lol

• the belko experiment - seen it once before and thought it was great. Suppose another that's like green room and don't breathe that's not technically a horror but it is at the same time because of the situation and what it makes everyone do. Anyway great film, great random characters but sean Gunn steals the show IMO. Hes such a odd looking human anyway he cracks me up just looking at him.

Yesterday watched

• green room - only seen it once but I love this film. I don't really class this as a horror although it is that genre. Like don't breathe (another i love) I don't think just because its violent it should be a horror but then I suppose the scenarios they are both in are a horror (to be in). But yeah love it

• sirens - been on my list for a while and tbh forgot about it until @tridon mentioned it in his list. I wasn't really a fan, I loved the short in V/H/S and thought it was one of the better shorts to make into a feature but It felt really b movie to me. Couldn't stand the 2 mates or the guy who runs that weird brothel (he also had really annoying hand movements lol). They only really kept 2 things from the short and that was the girl/ creature - how she looked and acted and how took a shine to the guy.
I liked the changes to the story but thought they didn't pull it off well enough, maybe if they had a bigger budget and put a bit of heart into it, it wouldn't of looked like a channel 5 or syfy film. Was a few decent scenes and I like the little peaks into the other rooms we see in the hell brothel but there wasn't enough of them and as a whole I hated it.
Oh and i had it in my head this was also going to be found footage style like the short so that disappointed me that it wasn't. Wanted my found footage fix after the visit lol

• the belko experiment - seen it once before and thought it was great. Suppose another that's like green room and don't breathe that's not technically a horror but it is at the same time because of the situation and what it makes everyone do. Anyway great film, great random characters but sean Gunn steals the show IMO. Hes such a odd looking human anyway he cracks me up just looking at him.

Loved Sirens

Reactions: Flloydo
Just watched my Alex Ross Dracula (1931) Steelbook. I had never seen it and it was great to experience genre history.

It's very dated now, but as a piece of history its fantastic and still very chilling

My grandad brought me up on the original Universal films when I was 8 years old and even to this day Bride Of scares the sh+t outa me. His makeup for me hasn't been beaten. They were the original gothic horror films, and while effects have improved, they've never caught that ambience of those originals

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canucks here @tridon @kaw @Drum18 @djprodikis @SavageAmusement @AlienKing !!!

my horror-thon continues with the original Exorcist, From Dusk Til Dawn, Goosebumps and Hammer Classics (The Mummy 1959, Taste The Blood Of Dracula, Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, Dracula Has Risen From The Grave)..trying to mixed it up with the supernatural, campy, funny and some good ol' British horror.

#6 'Evil Dead' 2013.
Saw it once when it released, i remembered it to be a good reimagination of 'Evil Dead' 1981.
Now after my rewatch on Blu-ray i didn't remembered it to be soo gory and bloody, really enjoyed the practical effects. Although the tounge scene was eerie to watch haha. The opening was well done and added something new and introduced a little further into the evil behind the Necronomicon and those who pursue it or stick their nosy nose in it. A more than decent reboot, which was difficult to be likeable from begin with because the original spread a huge shadow but imo it succeeded. 8/10

#7 'Psycho' 1960
A classic and probably one of the foundation stones for upcoming horror and slasher movies.
Even though all odds, studios and bakers were against Alfred Hitchcock's idea to adapt the book into a movie, apparently it was seen as unfilmable for being too controverse, after all, thankfully for his stubbornness he finally managed to create his vision. A success in any way, after almost 60 years, you still find parallels to modern horror movies including variations of its iconic soundtrack. I'm not going to spoil the plot, if you haven't seen it yet, it's well worth a watch. 7/10

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canucks here @tridon @kaw @Drum18 @djprodikis @SavageAmusement @AlienKing !!!

my horror-thon continues with the original Exorcist, From Dusk Til Dawn, Goosebumps and Hammer Classics (The Mummy 1959, Taste The Blood Of Dracula, Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed, Dracula Has Risen From The Grave)..trying to mixed it up with the supernatural, campy, funny and some good ol' British horror.
Happy Thanksgiving to you too :)

Reactions: digitalbabe
Watched Crimson peak again last night

See it when it first came out and wasn't really a fan but I much preferred it on the second watch. Jessica chastain was a bit wooden though. She's better than that

• Thanks
Reactions: Mr.Vorhees
Status
Not open for further replies.