UK
Release date: October 5th, 2015
Purchase link: Back to the Future Trilogy
Price: £39.99
Note: Limited to 1,000 copies.

11151010-1764311460958208.jpg

backtothefuture.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
All I want to see is someone acknowledge the fact that UK steelbooks are severly overpriced compared to releases in other countries.
They are not worth more just because they have English J-cards or whatever.

To be brutally honest, this steelbook cost less than €10 (discs included) to make and it's selling for over €50 in UK.
That is called daytime robbery with witnesess present and they still get away with it.

I'm about to go crazy if someone else says that English J-card is important because it's not and it never will be, unless it's painted with actual gold color and can be sold at the jewelers.
Am I the only one collecting steelbooks because of their special design and FILMS on blu-rays themselves?

Sorry for going "slightly" off topic :hilarious:

I don't think you need to apologize one iota.

The facts are the facts. UK Steelbooks ARE by and large very much overpriced.

To take this release as an example, it is impossible on any score to say you are getting A. Good value or B. A fair deal.
Nor can anyone argue that getting a UK J-card as opposed to an Italian one is worth over £20 in this instance!

Frankly the UK buying public are being swindled by Big Business - and have been for many a long year. To say that this acceptable is not only wrong, but manifestly so !
To say we should just turn a blind eye and sweep it under the carpet is not only narrow-minded and peurile but actually perpetuates the situation !
Keeping any organization in business in order to swidle people is not only stupid but morally reprehensible.

When one see's wrong the only thing to do is expose it and shout it from the rooftops - not hide it away in the corner like dirty linen.

This is true of ALL things in ALL walks of life!

If that is a little too assertive for some, then too bad.

The problem we have here is that Zavvi is the only real option if one wishes to buy a U.K edition of a steelbook as no other company is interested and if one considers the prices of their steelbooks to be too high then one does not have to buy them but can hunt down the E.U / other territories' equivalents of the 'same' steelbooks.

I'd say that Zavvi's pricing of regular steelbooks may be higher initially than those of other territories but let's not forget that most of these very same steelbooks can be picked up down the line at prices comparable to the release prices of steelbooks from other territories.

The obvious exceptions are those that sell out and those that are only reduced very slightly (examples being 'The Imitation Game, 'Whiplash', '71', 'Mocking Jay: Part 1' and 'Shaun the Sheep').

Zavvi's 'Flash sales' are a wonderful opportunity to pick up any titles missed to fill in gaps in a collection and at the time of writing it is possible to buy two Disney steelbooks for the price of one out of the five titles available in the promotion :
(1) INTO THE WOODS
(2) CINDERELLA 2015
(3) THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG
(4) BROTHER BEAR
(5) THE SWORD IN THE STONE

I may be alone in thinking that Zavvi have released some first class regular steelbooks during their brief history and I continue to thank them for that and I will continue to buy from them - and from HMV / EONE / Xtra-vision and Entertainment Store (if they haven't thrown in the towel) - and also accept that there is strong feeling about Zavvi bundling high demand steelbooks exclusively (so far) with ZBOXs and that bugs me too but I'm not about to throw out the baby with the bathwater, throw a strop and refuse to buy any more steelbooks from them just because I dislike this policy.

Maybe time for this thread to be cleaned ?:)

We all have different personal tastes and reasons as to why we purchase one steelbook over another
It is also the right of members to voice their opinion if they consider a retailer release overpriced especially when it is double the price and nothing extra added to the release to a cheaper same release its called choice and saving money if possible

It is also the right of any member if they wish to overpay for a release that they can get from another retailer even if you consider that to be a waste of money
Lot of us get the same steelbook from Korea/China etc and the price is a lot more but the difference with these releases is the attention to detail with extras you don't get supplied compared with a standard version and packaging

It is ok to have a opinion and voice if you agree or not but it is not Ok to use the thread for personal attacks on any member regardless if you disagree with their opinion and any post should never be a personal attack on a member it should only be about a release itself or the retailer and even then not be over the top regarding the retailer as that has a its own thread for that purpose

Most members consider the pricing of this release from Zavvi overpriced and if someone wants to pay that its their choice
Attacking any member because they like to import a release from another country is not cool

There is a lot of fantastic releases you cant get in your country and as a film collector I like to import a release for lot of different reasons better picture quality and better extras

Music and Films are universal releases to be enjoyed by all regardless what country a release is from

Voice your opinion yes but not personal attack on a member that's not cool and not allowed

Reactions: Ranavalone
It clearly makes more sense, to me anyway, to buy the U.K. trilogy edition before the individuals for the simple reason that there are more of them than there are of it :)
On top of that there is the price of the trilogy - GBP 37.99 - against the price of the individuals at about GBP 43.
There is no bonus disc included with any of the individuals.
A no-brainer really !

However I'd say that he artwork is certainly 'better' on the individuals (if you can get past the silver sides)
- they are more vibrant with that cool effect to the titles, first class artwork inside and on the backs etc. and I WILL buy those too though NOT AT THE CURRENT PRICES.

If anyone thinks that it was all a fake - about the trilogy selling out in double-quick time - as a ruse to get people to buy the individual steels then I won't comment further on what I think of that notion and I expect this is back ONLY because of the cancellations of orders from those people who would rather save a tenner and buy the Italian edition instead of the U.K. edition.
So, let me take this opportunity to thank all those that cancelled this, including that - - - - posting two up, which gave me the chance to get this one that I missed originally
:thumbs:

Lol this happens ALL THE TIME with Zavvi, so much so that there's been a phrase coined for it: "Zavvi Sold Out". Which means it's not really sold out and will be back shortly at a greatly reduced price.

Saving money is important to some people. If you feel it's that important to support Zavvi tactics that's fine but your comments come off as passive aggressive.

Reactions: BluSteel2012
The problem we have here is that Zavvi is the only real option if one wishes to buy a U.K edition of a steelbook as no other company is interested and if one considers the prices of their steelbooks to be too high then one does not have to buy them but can hunt down the E.U / other territories' equivalents of the 'same' steelbooks.

I'd say that Zavvi's pricing of regular steelbooks may be higher initially than those of other territories but let's not forget that most of these very same steelbooks can be picked up down the line at prices comparable to the release prices of steelbooks from other territories.

The obvious exceptions are those that sell out and those that are only reduced very slightly (examples being 'The Imitation Game, 'Whiplash', '71', 'Mocking Jay: Part 1' and 'Shaun the Sheep').

Zavvi's 'Flash sales' are a wonderful opportunity to pick up any titles missed to fill in gaps in a collection and at the time of writing it is possible to buy two Disney steelbooks for the price of one out of the five titles available in the promotion :
(1) INTO THE WOODS
(2) CINDERELLA 2015
(3) THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG
(4) BROTHER BEAR
(5) THE SWORD IN THE STONE

I may be alone in thinking that Zavvi have released some first class regular steelbooks during their brief history and I continue to thank them for that and I will continue to buy from them - and from HMV / EONE / Xtra-vision and Entertainment Store (if they haven't thrown in the towel) - and also accept that there is strong feeling about Zavvi bundling high demand steelbooks exclusively (so far) with ZBOXs and that bugs me too but I'm not about to throw out the baby with the bathwater, throw a strop and refuse to buy any more steelbooks from them just because I dislike this policy.

Maybe time for this thread to be cleaned ?:)

No arguments about some Zavvi steels being outstanding . However I am Glad I passed on this in the 1st instance .

Far better relises in my lowly opinion than this one from Zavvi .

I will buy certain ones from Zavvi however IF a better set is anounced costing more , on the customer service side alone I'll drop Zavvi like a hot potato like they drop thire customers .

Saving money is just as important to me as it is to anybody else and I want to save money on the items that I buy as much as anybody else.

I don't believe that anything I do, or anybody else here does, makes any difference to Zavvi's pricing of their steelbooks and the only way for Zavvi to even consider changing their pre-order steelbook pricing is if very few people actually pre-ordered their steelbooks and I'll venture to say that that is never going to happen, especially as long as they bring out decent or even half-decent steelbook.

Get over the GBP 9.99 / 10.99 Play.com pre-order pricing for steelbooks but also bear in mind that a good many steelbooks can STILL be picked up for these amounts at Zavvi - all it takes is a bit of patience and some luck (that they don't sell out before you get the chance to buy the steelbook(s) you've been waiting for).

For example, even though I've cut back quite drastically on my steelbooks in recent weeks, I've still bought the following steelbooks at what I consider to be OK prices in the past month :-
- KINGDOM OF HEAVEN @GBP 10.44
- UNFORGIVEN @GBP 8.99
- LAST KNIGHTS @GBP 8.99
- MONTY PYTHON'S THE MEANING OF LIFE @GBP 7.19
- CITY OF GOD @GBP 8.99
- THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY @GBP 9.49

I feel that it should be recognised that Zavvi has single-handedly saved the U.K. steelbook market as without them there would be no U.K. steelbook market worth talking about and if you think Amazon are interested in stepping into the steelbook breach then I'd laugh in your face and say "Pull the other one".

None of this will make any difference to many here who take every opportunity to bash Zavvi for whatever reason and even if the problem is resolved to their satisfaction I bet we never hear about THAT.
Anyway if the U.K. steelbook market was killed off people here can buy steelbook imports while I can give up this hobby and save a trunk-full of cash.

If you think that Zavvi's customer service is bad you should get out more to see that ignorance and so-called poor customer service is not unique to Zavvi - just watch a TV show called "Food Unwrapped" where the presenters investigate various foodstuffs and to do that they initially phone the manufacturers of the products - the responses they get are laughable and beyond ridiculous and most of all clueless.

Want to see what i got delivered today from zavvi?

08D8A462-BF97-42F0-8080-1A3D93632E4E_zpsgiqlfy7x.jpg

By the looks of it, its literally been to the future then delivered to me.

Last edited:
Phew !
That's quite a crumpled box but amazing that it was still good enough, in spite of its horrendous appearance, to prevent your steelbook from being damaged.
Good job, Zavvi :thumbs:
Royal Mail (n)

Reactions: thewoe
Actually, my heart sank when I first saw the picture half expecting the steel to mirror the bashed up box and expected that to be followed by a mass of posts pontificating on how crap Zavvi's steelbook packaging is !

EDIT 10/10/15: Mine arrived today - I'll post my comments on the steelbook when I get a chance to have a good look at it.

EDIT: All I can say is that it's OK and not one to get excited over unlike some recent others - certainly no worse than the front of 'The Blues Brothers' steelbook for example.

Anyway, not sorry I bought it though the icing on the cake, particularly for these Ultra Limited Editions, would be a long rectangular sticker in the style of the Entertainment Store reading :-

"LIMITED EDITION OF 1,000 COPIES AVAILABLE EXCLUSIVELY AT ZAVVI"

if only to set it above and apart from its cheaper European brothers and sisters.

Now to cancel various steelbooks due for release on the 19th :)

Last edited:
These ratings logos are indeed magnificent :D.
Yup, couldn't agree more - just love triangles and octagons :D

EDIT 12 / 10 /15: To be serious for a minute, my views on the importance of the U.K. J-CARD are as follows :-

(1) It is "NOT just a piece of paper" - It is a brief but important source of information for a film that I'm about to watch, a film that I may not have seen before and may know nothing about, and it would be ridiculous if it was not printed in my native tongue which is English !
I may be able to read Spanish, French and Italian but I certainly don't want to have to wade through those languages on the data card to get info on a film I'm about to watch !

(2) The BBFC (The British Board of Film Classification) is an independent non-government body which classifies films and video (DVDs & Blu-rays). Classifications range between 'U' (Universal) suitable for audiences age 4 and over and '18' meaning suitable only for adults. There is specifically an added 'R18' category . . .
The BBFC was founded in 1912, is based in London and employs about 80 people. Need I go on ?

This is clearly a group of right-minded and right-thinking (nor 'right' as in 'Conservative') people who care about the job they do and take pride in being as fair as possible after considering all aspects of the film.
All this 'Video nasty' business from the 1980s has thankfully been forgotten and many of those previously banned so-called Video Nasties are freely available today in the U.K., complete with BBFC stamps, from the likes of Arrow Films/Video or 88 Films with their 'Italian Collection' and their 'Slasher Collection'- Italian Collection :thumbs: Slasher Collection a bit (n) so far).

In the BBFC I trust and I'm always pleased to see the various category stamps on the j-card.

These stamps give me a fair idea of what to expect and of what not to expect, of whether the film would be more suitable to watch by myself or OK to watch with my children.
These classifications - U / PG / 12 / 12A / 15 / 18 / 18R (restricted) show how seriously all aspects of the film that I'm about to watch have been considered by a group of professionals.

IN SUMMARY: IN SHORT, I'LL KEEP MY U.K. J-CARD - THANK YOU VERY MUCH !

Last edited:
Actually, my heart sank when I first saw the picture half expecting the steel to mirror the bashed up box and expected that to be followed by a mass of posts pontificating on how crap Zavvi's steelbook packaging is !

EDIT 10/10/15: Mine arrived today - I'll post my comments on the steelbook when I get a chance to have a good look at it.

EDIT: All I can say is that it's OK and not one to get excited over unlike some recent others - certainly no worse than the front of 'The Blues Brothers' steelbook for example.

Anyway, not sorry I bought it though the icing on the cake, particularly for these Ultra Limited Editions, would be a long rectangular sticker in the style of the Entertainment Store reading :-

"LIMITED EDITION OF 1,000 COPIES AVAILABLE EXCLUSIVELY AT ZAVVI"

if only to set it above and apart from its cheaper European brothers and sisters.

Now to cancel various steelbooks due for release on the 19th :)

You just won't quit,will you ! . The only thing "ultra limited" about it is the English language J-Card

"I will fight you and your like on the beaches, on the landing grounds, in the fields, in the streets and in the hills. I will never surrender."
With apologies to Winston Churchill

You just won't quit,will you ! . The only thing "ultra limited" about it is the English language J-Card

That's quite enough for me and anyway what's it got to do with you why and where I buy my steelbooks ?

I don't give a toss where you buy your steelbooks from so why should you give a toss where I buy mine from !