UK
Release date: October 5th, 2015
Purchase link: Back to the Future Trilogy
Price: £39.99
Note: Limited to 1,000 copies.

11151010-1764311460958208.jpg

backtothefuture.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's quite enough for me and anyway what's it got to do with you why and where I buy my steelbooks ?

I don't give a toss where you buy your steelbooks from so why should you give a toss where I buy mine from !

I don't give a toss where you buy your steelbooks,or that you pay an extra 20 quid for a J-Card for those steelbooks,. But,you keep trying to ignore this by pretending that it's an ultra limited version.
It's just a European steelbook.

It IS an ultra limited edition IN THE U.K. for the obvious reason that it is from a run of 1,000 with a U.K. j-card specifically sold as an exclusive by one retailer in the U.K.

I don't give a flying fig, or indeed know or care, if there are 10,000 or 100,000 of these in circulation but what I DO KNOW is that my copy is one of only a 1,000 WITH A U.K. J-CARD and I don't mind paying 'extra' for that.

I'd rather have one of these than five of the Italian / other countries

Reactions: ChrisGonzalez
Zavvi will end up dropping the price to shift the unsold stock like they always do it is only a matter of waiting for that to happen
Don't be surprised to see this happen this month or next 2 months

I know lot don't like the Zbox releases but if any release was perfect for a Zbox/Steelbook Combo it was this one
In my opinion they missed the chance on this one especially for £39.99
Zbox £19.99 + Steelbook £20.00 = £39.99

On a separate note it's been confirmed that the Time Travel Zbox has a Funko Pop! Vinyl Figure
Which might be Back to the Future or Doctor Who

If this is an ultra limited print run, what sort of print run are 300 copies then? Epic? Biblical?!? :hilarious:

For what it's worth, this will drop in price faster than the Heart of the Ocean diamond that Rose dropped in the ocean at the end of a certain film we all know and love :hilarious::hilarious:

"Limited Edition is used to signify a smaller edition of an item produced in larger numbers."

This is how I'd describe this steelbook - the U.K. edition is an ultra limited edition of 1,000 - BECAUSE IT HAS A U.K. J-CARD - which sets it apart from the thousands of other copies floating around in other territories which DO NOT HAVE A U.K. j-card.

It could be said that it is the U.K. J-CARD THAT IS ULTRA LIMITED but of course that goes hand-in-hand with the U.K. steelbook and cannot be taken by itself when considering a sealed copy and is in fact 'worthless' without the steelbook unless one is the type of person that buys cheap foreign imports, hunts down U.K. j-cards for them and tries to flog them as the real McCoy on the secondary market.

Of course many are completely unfazed by foreign text on their steelbooks or on their j-cards but I'm certainly not about to join THAT club.
On a similar topic - the other day I noticed that some of my U.S. Warner Bros. import Blu-rays had "Disc made In Mexico" printed crudely in blue capitals on the back of the wraparound data card so I complained "What's going on 'ere, says I ?" and was told that that was not unusual. I left it at that only because the items were cheapish but I would have returned them if they had been expensive.
Before anyone calls me a Blu-ray racist I'd just like to point out that my wife is from Mexico :)

Regarding Limited Editions:-

Ltd. to 100 = Hyper Limited
Ltd. to 500 = Super Limited
Ltd. to 1,000 = Ultra Limited

Last edited:
Reactions: Krule
Who gives a toss if this is reduced to a tenner in a month or two because I certainly don't as long as I secure my copy at what I consider to be an OK price.

I'm sure everyone realises that this U.K. edition with U.K. j-card will hold its value better than any other European edition and you only have to look at the secondary market to see this - there the U.K. edition has changed hands for over GBP 50 on at least two occasions and the European ones . . . well, they aren't in the same ballpark !

BTW to anyone with a Crystal Ball I imagine you must have got all your steelbooks, and indeed everything else you buy, at just the right time at the bottom of the market . . . yes, sure, I believe you . . . LOL

P.S. If I had to bundle any 'Future-related' steelbox with a Future related ZBOX it would be either TOMORROWLAND or the BACK TO THE FUTURE INDIVIDUAL STEELBOOKS as none of those are 'Ultra Limited'.

Last edited:
@virkia - are you ok?

You're saying that it's a limited edition, just because it has a UK J-card?
Is French also a limited edition because it has French J-card?
Or better yet, is Italian a limited edition because of its Italian J-card?

Let me answer it for you, my friend. No!

You seem to be an intelligent guy but sometimes you say s**t that only makes sense to you.

I'm sure everyone realises that this U.K. edition with U.K. j-card will hold its value better than any other European edition and you only have to look at the secondary market to see this - there the U.K. edition has changed hands for over GBP 50 on at least two occasions and the European ones . . . well, they aren't in the same ballpark !

The European ones (BTW, to my knowledge - UK is still part of Europe) were priced for human beings.

And I've seen a few posts where you wrote that you're done "fighting" and you're quite clearly not done. Every little thing provokes you. Stand by your holiest of holy words, man. Give it a rest already :smuggrin:

Reactions: BluSteel2012
I don't know what you're smoking, man, but an Ultra Limited Edition of a 1,000 cannot be compared to other non Ultra Limited Editions without a named specific print run quantity.

The French are welcome to their French sdteelbooks with French print on them and the Italians are welcome to their Italian steelbooks with Italian print on them blah, blah, blah . . . and I, as a Brit, am welcome to my U.K. steelbooks with English print on them.

. . . and you, my friend, should stop spamming or trolling or whatever the word for your behaviour is.

Last edited:
The Steelbook is from Universal Film Studios made by Scanavo
The one batch of steelbooks made
This batch is then split up between various retailers in various countries
The Jcard is made a different company with the relevant info required to be on it for that country and then attached to the steelbook

Zavvi really only so far have had Disney/Pixar Collection Steelbooks (Excluding Disney/Marvel new films which get released worldwide) as true exclusives
StudioCanal steelbooks also have been true exclusives and they can have these limited to 2,000 each by having a batch of releases made at the same time
Example 2 different StudioCanal releases = print run of 4,000 (2,000 each) and this achieves the required print run of 4,000 at the same time

Most releases recently and more to come will have a release in other countries due to the increased popularity of steelbooks market in past 2 years
Steelbooks are now getting a release with most of the new films and the back catalog is getting releases as steelbooks with lot more retailers in various countries selling steelbooks
You will see the same steelbook been released in various countries with print runs in region of 1,000/2,000 in each country instead of the previous UK only 3,000/4,000 print runs

Customers will have choice as to who they get a steelbook release from
If you want a release purely because of a UK/Ireland Jcard or a UK/Ireland ultraviolet copy you can if that is important to you
If Jcard not important to you will see the same steelbook will be available in another country with price been less or more with different retailers
Its called choice for the customer
The Film Studio that releases the steelbook it is the same steelbook and available in larger market for wider sales of a release
There will be releases of some steelbooks were the artwork is different in terms of language these are not shared print run but separate print runs

I order steelbooks from all around the world some having extras in terms of Full Slip/Lenti and Booklet and Artcards
Some are just the steelbook with no added extras
What I look for in a release is value for money be it just the steelbook or something extra

What is interesting recently is Amazon Italy now are going with steelbooks in a big way now a lot more so than Amazon UK
Amazon Germany have been good with steelbook release but prices vary from good to high but prices with Amazon Italy are very good value compared to all other retailers
If they improve their packaging they will do very well and Zavvi will have to lower their prices as most collectors will look for value and cost as a deciding factor who they order from when its a same steelbook and provide good customer service

I have on order 4 steelbooks with Amazon Italy total price €41.91 including shipping
The same 4 steelbooks with Zavvi would cost me €71.76
By ordering from Amazon I have saved €30.05
That like getting nearly 2 steelbooks for free compared to the Zavvi pricing that is something the average customer will not say no to regarding the Jcard been in english or not

If you want to spend over the top price it is your choice with only difference been a Jcard but over the long term most customers will order the steelbook at the best value for their money from a retailer that provides this
This is good as Zavvi then will have no choice but to drop the prices for pre orders and all gain then even those who must have a UK/Ireland Jcard

Makes you wonder what the profit margin is to sell and still make a profit if price is reduced
The dealer prices with these releases must be lot lower than compared to a few years ago

Reactions: BluSteel2012
Perhaps we could just agree that there are always collectors who like to get a particular J-card or slip cover; from the UK, Italy, Taiwan or wherever.

Not everybody thinks like you (or me), people can do what they want with their money :thumbs:

View attachment 193107

If that's aimed at me I completely agree with the sentiment and that I should be allowed to buy my U.K. steelbooks (with U.K. j-cards) without being made to feel that I am somehow wrong for this choice.

What I don't appreciate is the fact that these threads are being polluted by those with an axe to grind against U.K. steelbooks - and against Zavvi as the retailer of the vast majority of these - because they consider them to be too expensive.

If they think that, WTF are they doing in U.K. threads for U.K. steelbooks apart from getting their jollies by spamming / trolling ?

Let them go to the Zavvi Retailer thread or one of the many threads for foreign steelbooks to get their kicks as it's starting to tick me off.

I don't know what you're smoking, man, but an Ultra Limited Edition of a 1,000 cannot be compared to other non Ultra Limited Editions without a named specific print run quantity.

The French are welcome to their French sdteelbooks with French print on them and the Italians are welcome to their Italian steelbooks with Italian print on them blah, blah, blah . . . and I, as a Brit, am welcome to my U.K. steelbooks with English print on them.

. . . and you, my friend, should stop spamming or trolling or whatever the word for your behaviour is.

Your behavior is the key here! You just can't give it a rest. You're like an energizer bunny. You keep yapping and yapping.

AND AGAIN, it's not an ultra limited edition if the same company made 5000 copies of the SAME steelbook.
The only difference is the J-card and those are printed by other companies. Paul wrote it perfectly. Kudos, Paul :thumbs:

And that troll remark just made you less intelligent in my eyes. Shame.

If that's aimed at me I completely agree with the sentiment and that I should be allowed to buy my U.K. steelbooks (with U.K. j-cards) without being made to feel that I am somehow wrong for this choice.

:confused::confused: NO ONE resents you for buying UK steelbooks and it's absolutely understandable that you support your country as much as possible but for f**k sake, you have to admit that it's the same STEELBOOK as others. I'm not talking about J-card, THE ACTUAL STEELBOOK IS THE SAME!!!

Do you get it now, @virkia? :confused:

Last edited:

What I don't appreciate is the fact that these threads are being polluted by those with an axe to grind against U.K. steelbooks - and against Zavvi as the retailer of the vast majority of these - because they consider them to be too expensive.

If they think that, WTF are they doing in U.K. threads for U.K. steelbooks apart from getting their jollies by spamming / trolling ?

Let them go to the Zavvi Retailer thread or one of the many threads for foreign steelbooks to get their kicks as it's starting to tick me off.

I'm in the UK thread for UK steelbooks because I was born in London,and lived there for 35 years until I moved to Canada. I've bought many Zavvi steelbooks,but only when it is a genuine Zavvi exclusive, that is reasonably priced.
I have a question for you,and I would like you to answer it,if you don't mind - Do you consider the recent Zavvi James Bond steelbooks as ultra limited UK steelbooks ?

I buy from Zavvi every week
I have over 300 different Steelbooks that was purchased from just from Zavvi alone in the past 2 years
I'm probably one of their best customers but if i see a same steelbook that is lot cheaper I will get it from another retailer and some of these retailers are actually UK/Ireland retailers as in Amazon/HMV and are a UK/Ireland release
When you order from Zavvi you are ordering a UK/Ireland release and also a Imported releases from Europe some releases from Zavvi their steelbooks have been USA Imports by the way I got these from Zavvi

If it is only a couple of euro difference Zavvi get my order but when the price is double the difference that is a big difference
The fact remains this same steelbook is double the price of most retailers in Europe that is a huge difference in price were not talking about £2-£5 pound difference
The dearest retailer beside Zavvi in Europe was Germany at €39.99 thats still lot cheaper than €55.19

If Zavvi had priced Back to the Future Trilogy at the correct price I would not have cancelled my order and I'm sure a lot others would not have done so as well
The price this should be around £20.00 -£25.00 UK and in Euro no more than €30-€35
You will see it been sold soon around that price to shift the due to stock not sold and possibly even be less than that

The Pre order price was way to high considering the pricing it is with other retailers across europe

The price they have at the moment of £39.99 (€55.19) is the price you would pay if it was with a Zbox
That is the exact price they sell Zbox/Steelbooks at £39.99

The Same 30th Anniversary Amarary Blu-ray release on Zavvi website Zavvi (4 Discs) is £15.99 (€22.09)
Steelbook is more than double the price yet other retailers are selling the steelbook around the price Zavvi sell the Amaray at thats is the whole point here Zavvi have the price wrong for this Steelbook it has nothing to do with a Jcard

Last edited:
Reactions: javiermendoza