Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £24.99

1.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

11275419-1734385576830311.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those double and triple prices in a year would be scalper prices. The value of a steelbook itself NEVER, EVER goes up, only down.
The demand however usually goes only one way - up. And when the demand goes up, sellers see an opportunity to double or triple the original price - they are usually scalpers who bought 17 or 53 copies of one film or regular collector who just want to cash in just because they have a spare copy or two.

This steelbook is worth about £6-8. Everything above that is an individual's desire to own it.

I'm glad I got it for "only" £21.

It's worth what people are willing to pay for it.

It's worth what people are willing to pay for it.

Exactly . . . and am reminded of the famous Oscar Wilde quote about people knowing the value of everything but valuing nothing - something that was written well over 100 years ago.

Collecting steelbooks, or indeed collecting anything else, can be a slippery slope, as many of us are probably aware, leading to obsession with people wanting or "needing" all steelbook versions of particular titles etc. and although we all know the financial "value" of this or that steelbook - going by the re-sale price results as a good indicator - how much we as collectors actually "value" a particular steelbook will depend entirely on the individual - i.e. if it's the one missing from the collection it will obviously be worth a lot more to that person than to someone who already has it in the collection.
In reality
"What's it worth?" is a difficult set of words at the best of times and I don't believe that steelbook buyers seriously consider for an instant the cost of manufacturing the discs, making the data cards, pressing the metal, printing the data and all of the other bits and pieces that go into making a steelbook or even compare the relative cost of buying the film of their choice in steelbook or plastic case packaging - before they make their purchases ?!
Taken the other way "What's it worth financially?' certainly does have meaning to various people:
- For the re-sellers who take a punt on what they hope will be a desirable title in the future, buy as many as they can at pre-order or on sale and sit on them for however long it takes for the resale price to double or triple before they offload them.
- For the casual speculator hoping to make a bit of cash to help fund future steelbook purchases by buying a few extra in one of those flash sales.
- For the collector who wishes to sell some or all of the collection.

RE: STEELBOOKS:
- I don't go along with the tag of "ALL FUR COAT AND NO KNICKERS" in relation to steelbooks and I consider them inherently more desirable than the blue plastic cased editions although I am admittedly a big fan of plastic cases in other colours including yellow, green, red, clear white and black.

I like the "feel" and weight of the product, the sometimes stunning artwork, the different finishes from highly shiny to the opposite, the embossing or debossing for the added texture - all things totally missing from the plastic cased editions.

Admittedly the phrase above does unfortunately have some relevance to steelbooks more for the missing disc content than for anything else - in other words, and as we all know, not all steelbooks have the 3D discs which are available in the Amaray editions and may have been released at the same time (!) and hardly ever the 4K discs found almost exclusively in the Amaray editions in the U.K. at the time of writing (LABYRINTH and . . . and . . . and ?)

Steelbooks are also better looking with the vast majority having better artwork on the covers that the plastic cased edition and, no, not going to give examples.

Steelbooks are also more limited and you just look at how many of the approx. 900 U.K. steelbooks produced since 2008 are still in production compared to the Amaray editions to see what I mean.

Et cetera

That being said steelbooks form only a small part of my film library as most of the films I buy have zero chance of steelbook releases so although I'm a fan of steelbooks I'm a fan of films first and foremost.

Anyway back to CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR - actually, no further comment is necessary from me at this time.

Reactions: Flash
I like it. Reading through some of the comments, I find it quite annoying that it's "uncool" to like a steelbook. I think, if the collector likes it, then that is all that matters.

Sure, your Blufans, Kimchi are all nice, but I think their pricing is getting way out of control, but if people want to buy it, then let them. At the end of the day, if you buy something, you like it, then thats it... job done. I couldn't give a damn what other people thought. If someone has spent their hard earned cash on something, like it, let them tell people on here..... don't put them down for it... celebrate with them!!!

Surely that's what this forum is all about... making friends and discussing releases and each others purchases,isn't it?

I like it. Reading through some of the comments, I find it quite annoying that it's "uncool" to like a steelbook. I think, if the collector likes it, then that is all that matters.

Sure, your Blufans, Kimchi are all nice, but I think their pricing is getting way out of control, but if people want to buy it, then let them. At the end of the day, if you buy something, you like it, then thats it... job done. I couldn't give a damn what other people thought. If someone has spent their hard earned cash on something, like it, let them tell people on here..... don't put them down for it... celebrate with them!!!

Surely that's what this forum is all about... making friends and discussing releases and each others purchases,isn't it?

Exactly well said :thumbs:

In the light of day, if we are all truthful, a lot of the time we are buying films that can be bought for as little as £1 in Cex for example but we then pay £20 for a steelbook, it's what steelbook collectors do. Again no one is forced to do anything, buy anything, it's all a matter of choice.

I totally agree it's pretty sad that people who have bought something and they personally like, who are any of us to say it's 'rubbish/ugly/not worth the money etc etc. I've learned this more as time has gone on being on this forum. It's all a matter of opinion and I've been trying to say that in my statements and people would appreciate that more from all of us.

Just because I didn't like something doesn't make it **** yes I've been guilty of it but as I said I am trying and I think if we all did that it would create a more pleasant atmosphere. we don't have to agree but we don't need to be downright rude either.

It can dampen someone's enjoyment, suddenly thinking is this steelbook I really like honestly so bad? Am I an idiot for liking it? It evokes so many things but I think if you like something who cares if everyone in the world hates it, it's really our own personal enjoyment that's paramount when it comes down to it.
Yes it's nice if you meet someone who agrees and you can talk about it or even someone who dislikes like it as you do but sometimes in here sadly the same suspects get lost in that and take it too far.

I was looking forward to this and I think it's a lovely steelbook to match a very good film and that's all I can ask for.

Reactions: spookz and scorpius
Well, that's your opinion.
My opinion, looking at them side-by-side, is that I prefer the new one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flash
You haven't fixed jack s**t.
You just altered my sentence to suit yourself.

Please, enlighten me what the word value means or do you want me to explain it :)

Worth - To have monetary or material value.
Value - Something that can be bought for a fair price.

You are obviously a special abusive sort of person, welcome to my block list :thumbs:

Reactions: javiermendoza
Exactly well said :thumbs:

In the light of day, if we are all truthful, a lot of the time we are buying films that can be bought for as little as £1 in Cex for example but we then pay £20 for a steelbook, it's what steelbook collectors do. Again no one is forced to do anything, buy anything, it's all a matter of choice.

I totally agree it's pretty sad that people who have bought something and they personally like, who are any of us to say it's 'rubbish/ugly/not worth the money etc etc. I've learned this more as time has gone on being on this forum. It's all a matter of opinion and I've been trying to say that in my statements and people would appreciate that more from all of us.

Just because I didn't like something doesn't make it **** yes I've been guilty of it but as I said I am trying and I think if we all did that it would create a more pleasant atmosphere. we don't have to agree but we don't need to be downright rude either.

It can dampen someone's enjoyment, suddenly thinking is this steelbook I really like honestly so bad? Am I an idiot for liking it? It evokes so many things but I think if you like something who cares if everyone in the world hates it, it's really our own personal enjoyment that's paramount when it comes down to it.
Yes it's nice if you meet someone who agrees and you can talk about it or even someone who dislikes like it as you do but sometimes in here sadly the same suspects get lost in that and take it too far.

I was looking forward to this and I think it's a lovely steelbook to match a very good film and that's all I can ask for.

It amuses me that you think that everyone that has a bad thing to say about this or a steel in general or they are not happy with the finish etc that you think they are doing it to belittle others or to wind them up or its the same people doing it to get a reaction out of others
Well I paid top price for this and that gives me every f*cking reason to say what I like about it. Good or bad

If you read my previous comments I actually like the design but it's execution ruins the steel with w spine faces and finish, seems to be quite a few that agree on that.
But then there seems to be about 5 people that love it lol so I know who i look to when being recommended steels

Even if I spend £25+ on a steel and I'm not happy I can still see where they could of improved. Not lying to myself to make myself happy because I dropped £25.

I have premium editions from kimchi etc that I'm not happy with that cost me £35/£45 or more but I'll express my dislike for things
(like the new winter soldie from kimchi, lovely package and one of the best Marvel steels I now own but the full slip 2 is a tad bit dark)
I do the same with FAC if I'm not happy with shots, where as there are some memebers who will say they love things even if deep down they don't purely because they spent x amount

I really don't care who likes this or not but there is one particular member who rattles my cage because he thinks these badly designed steels or steels with shocking finishes are the best thing ever. If he ever ventured out the UK (and I don't mean to bag on the UK - we produce some lovely steels but it does limit your collection and eyes to what else is being made) he will notice that some companies or countries produce exceptional steels all year round, it puts these WWA to shame half the time.

I know the premium editions are costly and that's horrible most the time (And with the recent £ even worse) but you are getting so much more quality for that extra cash the majority of the time

I'll always collect marvel steels, good or bad because I'm sucker for marvel but I won't be afraid to say where they went wrong just because I spent £25 with zavvi

Last edited by a moderator: