Purchase link: Cloud Atlas

Actual Pictures thanks to Kron

51A91K5kxoL.jpg

Attachments

• thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 270
Last edited by a moderator:
Okay a question from a dude that never experienced IMAX. On a 55 inch flatscreen, what's
the diff between the steelbook version and the YA IMAX-version ?

Reactions: BluSteel2012
Bought this steel and a UK disc to swap out. A big THANK YOU to those that said i needed to swap out for an English disc due to subtitle issues.... Watched the movie through and NO SUBTITLES need for "alien language" at all. So cheers for making me buy a pointless UK disc to go in this steel.
Honestly, i come on this forum for useful discussion, helpful advice, not to waste my money.

I believe it was made perfectly clear what the disc would be like as far as subtitles and audio options was concerned. If you feel that you can fully understand the alien talk without subs that's down to you. Nobody gave out erroneous information. Nobody wasted your money.

Reactions: goufcustom
I believe it was made perfectly clear what the disc would be like as far as subtitles and audio options was concerned. If you feel that you can fully understand the alien talk without subs that's down to you. Nobody gave out erroneous information. Nobody wasted your money.

You do know that the "alien talk" is English don't you. It's pidgin English , but about as difficult to understand as the kids in Mad Max beyond Thunderdome . That's why the UK disc doesn't put any subs on these sequence unless selected. The only moments in the film where English subs are required are when the waitress speaks Korean , which are only two instances - an they are translated by a machine within the scene .

All that said I still bought the English disc as the onscreen location identifiers were in English.

Reactions: Punker76
You do know that the "alien talk" is English don't you. It's pidgin English , but about as difficult to understand as the kids in Mad Max beyond Thunderdome . That's why the UK disc doesn't put any subs on these sequence unless selected. The only moments in the film where English subs are required are when the waitress speaks Korean , which are only two instances - an they are translated by a machine within the scene .

All that said I still bought the English disc as the onscreen location identifiers were in English.

Having watched it without UK subtitles, I have purchased the steelbook and the UK amaray.

I could not catch what Tom and Halle were saying in future speak, so subs is great

And that's the true true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Blu-devil

Thank you, exactly what I was trying to say. There was no "alien talk" so English subs were not needed. So, essentially, no need to swap out a UK disc in order to understand the movie.

Cheers for getting what I was getting at, started to question myself there :)

But mumbles contradicts himself by saying the dialogue is as confusing as Beyond Thunderdome, therefore you DO need English subtitles, which the German disc doesn't have.

Reactions: Blu-devil
But mumbles contradicts himself by saying the dialogue is as confusing as Beyond Thunderdome, therefore you DO need English subtitles, which the German disc doesn't have.

I believe there was an eliment of sarcasm involved (not maliciously) in that you CAN understand what's being said in "Pidgen English".

Reactions: mumbles
Got my replacement copy in recently and just opened it. What a difference in the glue compared to my first copy. The glue on my first copy must have been super glue because it did not want to come off. The glue on my replacement copy came right off, stuck to the j-card not the steelbook, and left no residue whatsoever on the steel. Success!

Where do I contradict myself- the dialogue in Thunderdome isn't subtitled .

If a foreign language is subtitled you get a translation into English.

The subtitling in cloud atlas is a transcription of what is spoken, for people who cannot hear what is said or need clarification. It is not a translation.

Maybe it's a sound quality problem or thick accents, or maybe I'm a genius , but I didn't need subtitles to understand anything being said in those sequences and the film makers don't think you do either.

---------- Post added at 06:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 AM ----------

I believe there was an eliment of sarcasm involved (not maliciously) in that you CAN understand what's being said in "Pidgen English".

cheers , not exactly sarcasm more comparing like with like ( sarcasm would be comparing it to Jar Jar binks or typing "maybe I'm a genius") I could have easily compared it to scouse , Geordie or some other regional accent .

It just sounded like a load of gibberish to me and not pidgin English at all, but if you could understand it all without subs then fair enough.

Point is, only the facts were ever stated on this thread about what was and wasn't contained on the German disc therefore nobody should have felt suckered by buying the UK disc aswell.