Custom SteelBooks Designs - Post Your Own Concept Art!

Noooo, that's not why I brought it up bud... I was just saying is all lol. I haven't actually spoken to him for a while now, so he won't hear about your concept via me. Hell, I doubt he'd even mind anyway and would most likely think it was cool! ;)

But yeah... it is pretty hard to know what's "official" and what isn't nowadays. I think I spend more time checking that for each poster than I do actually making the concept lol. In my experience most artists don't mind though... however, I know @TheJoker has had a different experience unfortunately. (n)
Yeah, me too one time. I created one of the new Robocop and the guy signed up just so he could b!tch me out for using his work without his permission so I pulled it. You never know when or if it's someone else's copyrighted material. I can't afford a lawsuit. It's too chancy nowadays.

Yeah, me too one time. I created one of the new Robocop and the guy signed up just so he could b!tch me out for using his work without his permission so I pulled it. You never know when or if it's someone else's copyrighted material. I can't afford a lawsuit. It's too chancy nowadays.
This will be my last one, I don't want to take the chance of infringing onto someone else's copyrighted material and face some kind of lawsuit. It's too risky. Sorry about that guys. :offtopic:
@Noodles @TheJoker
Lol damn, that's honestly kinda pathetic of them IMO. Unless I'm missing something, we're not breaking any laws or at risk of a lawsuit just for using a piece of art as a concept design that is never to be produced or sold. It's just for a bit of fun! I think some artists naturally just overreact and get a little sour if they're not credited/tagged, which is something I have experienced before, but all was ok once I credited them in my original post. But I understand anyway bud... it's certainly no fun putting time into creating something using art you admire, only to then have an artist whose work you appreciate demand that you take it down.

Lol damn, that's honestly kinda pathetic of them IMO. Unless I'm missing something, we're not breaking any laws or at risk of a lawsuit just for using a piece of art as a concept design that is never to be produced or sold. It's just for a bit of fun! I think some artists naturally just overreact and get a little sour if they're not credited/tagged, which is something I have experienced before, but all was ok once I credited them in my original post. But I understand anyway bud... it's certainly no fun putting time into creating something using art you admire, only to then have an artist whose work you appreciate demand that you take it down.
Yeah, I'm surprised you don't remember that, well it was quite a while back. It was when @zesty and me were really the only ones creating back then. I pulled the image from Google and I didn't realize it was linked to DeviantArt and then this guy signs up and just goes off on me for using his piece and wouldn't let up even though there were a bunch of the same artwork out on the net. I didn't want any trouble so I pulled it.

Yeah, I'm surprised you don't remember that, well it was quite a while back. It was when @zesty and me were really the only ones creating back then. I pulled the image from Google and I didn't realize it was linked to DeviantArt and then this guy signs up and just goes off on me for using his piece and wouldn't let up even though there were a bunch of the same artwork out on the net. I didn't want any trouble so I pulled it.
Nope, I certainly don't remember any of that mate. Although, I don't think I even checked this thread too often until I started making concepts myself. What an entitled ass though!

Hmm, interesting. I can definitely see why sharing a photo without crediting the photographer would be illegal though, especially if you're using it to promote something of your own and/or making money from it... obviously the same goes for art too.

However, reading through it and the Fair Use section immediately stood out to me... maaaany years ago I used to help run a graphic designs forum, and people would basically just create cool custom wallpapers and "signatures" as we called them (basically a small banner-like graphic) on there. A lot of the folks would grab photos from Google and edit them in to their designs though, and every so often the owner of said photos would come across it and get aggy about it, so the forum admin simply responded with the Fair Use act...

"Fair Use allows you to use an image based on three conditions. First is if it used for limited non-profit and educational use. Second is if it is changed so drastically that it no longer has the same meaning or purpose, and third is if it is used informatively for the public good."

I think that applies to us too, so I'm certainly not worried about it. In fact, I know I even describe them as being for "educational purposes" on my old portfolio site lol.

• Thanks
Reactions: Lone Crusader
This will be my last one, I don't want to take the chance of infringing onto someone else's copyrighted material and face some kind of lawsuit. It's too risky. Sorry about that guys. :offtopic:
@Noodles @TheJoker

Yeah the experience I had was on a concept I made of Event Horizon, but it was different in that the front cover and background artwork I used I knew the names of the artists and put their names as credit on my image. Tweeted it out and they got all butt hurt about it.

Now look, I fully understand stealing someone else’s work for a profit is one of the lowest things you can do but my view on it was simple:
A) Neither I, nor anyone else, was making money off this fantasy idea.
And
B) by crediting them I was essentially plugging them. One was someone on YouTube who no one probably knows and the front cover artist I don’t think he’s really done much since Event Horizon. Ironically the cover artwork I swear is now being ripped and sold by a stealer on Etsy hahaha

It’s mad, because I’ve also done a True Lies concept with cover artwork by Aurelio Lorenzo, again without permission, and when I tweeted it out he himself ‘liked’ it. It’s a fine line on how people will react so now I try and stick to official poster artwork.

Yeah the experience I had was on a concept I made of Event Horizon, but it was different in that the front cover and background artwork I used I knew the names of the artists and put their names as credit on my image. Tweeted it out and they got all butt hurt about it.

Now look, I fully understand stealing someone else’s work for a profit is one of the lowest things you can do but my view on it was simple:
A) Neither I, nor anyone else, was making money off this fantasy idea.
And
B) by crediting them I was essentially plugging them. One was someone on YouTube who no one probably knows and the front cover artist I don’t think he’s really done much since Event Horizon. Ironically the cover artwork I swear is now being ripped and sold by a stealer on Etsy hahaha

It’s mad, because I’ve also done a True Lies concept with cover artwork by Aurelio Lorenzo, again without permission, and when I tweeted it out he himself ‘liked’ it. It’s a fine line on how people will react so now I try and stick to official poster artwork.
It's like they have a case of little man syndrome, where they feel they have to make themselves appear bigger/more important than they are by kicking up a huge stink as soon as someone finally gives their art some attention. I generally find the more well known artists are very easy going and happy to see their artwork being used for fun/creative ideas (so long as they're not being sold, of course), or at least that's been my experience. Yourself and Kelly just got unlucky unfortunately. :(

Hmm, interesting. I can definitely see why sharing a photo without crediting the photographer would be illegal though, especially if you're using it to promote something of your own and/or making money from it... obviously the same goes for art too.

However, reading through it and the Fair Use section immediately stood out to me... maaaany years ago I used to help run a graphic designs forum, and people would basically just create cool custom wallpapers and "signatures" as we called them (basically a small banner-like graphic) on there. A lot of the folks would grab photos from Google and edit them in to their designs though, and every so often the owner of said photos would come across it and get aggy about it, so the forum admin simply responded with the Fair Use act...

"Fair Use allows you to use an image based on three conditions. First is if it used for limited non-profit and educational use. Second is if it is changed so drastically that it no longer has the same meaning or purpose, and third is if it is used informatively for the public good."

I think that applies to us too, so I'm certainly not worried about it. In fact, I know I even describe them as being for "educational purposes" on my old portfolio site lol.
It's hard to know who's right or wrong nowadays, idk I might create again but if I do I'll definitely try and be more careful about it. When everything is out on Google it's hard to really know where it originated from. We'll see how it goes. I might...

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Just credit an artist when you know who did it. simple as that. Otherwise if you use you can always say unknown artist contact for credit

But in the big picture they dont own anything. If you were creating something completely made up some fantasy or fake movie then yeah you essentially can fight to own it, and direct how its being used.

But even when an artist is doing art whether UNOFFICIAL or even PAID by the studio just think .... its an intellectual property so they may have permission to create something based on the IP by the studio but the ownership rights are either with A) the studio or B) the real owners whom the studio is really only representing the title. More often then not each film is owned by a corporation or llc , and that company is made up of the Producers of the film (and/or other investors) .... they own the film. They dont have the time to manage the film for merchandising so they farm that out to licensing companies who then represent the films.

So in short how can joe blow the artist who made unofficial art sue me for taking his art? He cant, cause he doesnt own that IP and despite his time and effort to create that he is also bootlegging in such sense. Doesn't stop people from thinking they made it they own it tho. If he's doing official paid work by the studio at best he can report to them and they can choose whether to act upon that behalf .... but of course they may just like the promotion. ;) All depends.

Either way yall shouldnt fret on what you are doing and just give credit when you can where due ...at best it helps someone see it who will contact the said artist and get it put on something official and THEN they get paid. (in part thanks to your exposure if gone that route.) Heck what do you think CM is doing when he goes out and just contacting artists and agreeing to pay them some said fee to put it on his slipboxes?

When MRT made the art for suspiria he was never thinking I hope one day HDN pays me for it. Yet I saw it and thought it was fantastic and we struck a deal that I then could get approved.

and my rule of thumb when im sending stuff to get approved I dont send the HUGE file that can then one day get used for print in diff forms. I send stuff that is sized down so that way if that day were to ever happen they'll have to come back to me and request and thus the new negotiations begin. :p

Reactions: Lone Crusader
Just credit an artist when you know who did it. simple as that. Otherwise if you use you can always say unknown artist contact for credit

But in the big picture they dont own anything. If you were creating something completely made up some fantasy or fake movie then yeah you essentially can fight to own it, and direct how its being used.

But even when an artist is doing art whether UNOFFICIAL or even PAID by the studio just think .... its an intellectual property so they may have permission to create something based on the IP by the studio but the ownership rights are either with A) the studio or B) the real owners whom the studio is really only representing the title. More often then not each film is owned by a corporation or llc , and that company is made up of the Producers of the film (and/or other investors) .... they own the film. They dont have the time to manage the film for merchandising so they farm that out to licensing companies who then represent the films.

So in short how can joe blow the artist who made unofficial art sue me for taking his art? He cant, cause he doesnt own that IP and despite his time and effort to create that he is also bootlegging in such sense. Doesn't stop people from thinking they made it they own it tho. If he's doing official paid work by the studio at best he can report to them and they can choose whether to act upon that behalf .... but of course they may just like the promotion. ;) All depends.

Either way yall shouldnt fret on what you are doing and just give credit when you can where due ...at best it helps someone see it who will contact the said artist and get it put on something official and THEN they get paid. (in part thanks to your exposure if gone that route.) Heck what do you think CM is doing when he goes out and just contacting artists and agreeing to pay them some said fee to put it on his slipboxes?

When MRT made the art for suspiria he was never thinking I hope one day HDN pays me for it. Yet I saw it and thought it was fantastic and we struck a deal that I then could get approved.
Thanks for all the info man. Much appreciated! :notworthy:

Iron Man 3 (2013)

#154 Iron Man 3 (SC).png

Hi guys, this is my first posting of my steelbook concept art. I am an artist and I created a Punisher painting which I thought would make a gritty Season 1 Netflix steelbook. I am hoping to transfer some more of my paintings into steelbook concepts, it is something I would love to do for a company someday! Thanks and I hope you guys enjoy the art and design of the steelbook

Hi guys, this is my first posting of my steelbook concept art. I am an artist and I created a Punisher painting which I thought would make a gritty Season 1 Netflix steelbook. I am hoping to transfer some more of my paintings into steelbook concepts, it is something I would love to do for a company someday! Thanks and I hope you guys enjoy the art and design of the steelbook

Welcome to the (unofficial) Concept Club! :D

Great to have you here sharing your work with us, and I love that you use your own artwork too, which is amazing by the way. :notworthy:

Really cool concept, and I look forward to seeing more of your work. :)