United Kingdom
Release date:11th November 2013
Price: £165
Purchase link:
Amazon
Zavvi

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This would make a nice addition to my movie(s) collection. The price is acceptable aswell, but it looks like it takes a lot of space.

Any chance of this box coming back for Sale in amz? It showing out of stock

I'm sure it's just temporary, Amazon do this a lot with their listings. If a customer has a complaint they will review it and remove if from sale while they investigate. I'm sure it will be back on sale at some point.:thumbs:

Reactions: intacto
Thanks, DecM. Wow, what a huge markdown. This must be the lowest it has ever been.

Ordered, though I already have the Masterpiece Collection, which has essentially the same contents except the discs are stored in a big black book versus the canisters in this edition which I couldn't resist.

Rather wasteful having two sets.

This is currently £49.99 at Zavvi. I just ordered it today and it has just been dispatched!

Thanks a million DecM!!! I've been wanting this set for forever now, and at this price, I was finally able to order it :)

Now I just have to survive a whole week of agonizing waiting before I get to finally hold this beauty in my own two hands!

Got my set yesterday and really love it. I do wish all the extra fluff (postcards, letters etc) were all contained in 1 simple booklet tho.
Anyway, regarding the disc themselves, 'To Catch A Thief' is bare bones and is missing all the extras from the US Paramount disc...and it has a lower bitrate.
'North By Northwest' is missing the Music-Only Audio Track that was on the UK Warner Bros single disc release.
But overall I am absolutely thrilled with this- the packaging and little tin film reel cans are fantastic. Probably the best bargain ever in blurays :thumbs:

Despite 'Handle with Care' printed, looks like the postal system threw the box around in abandonment. Very pissed despite no major damage. Can't imagine having to ship this monster back and asking Zavvi to reimburse cost.
image.jpg

Thanks, Simon. :) It just barely made it with only two thin styrofoam, one each at the long ends of the set.

But this will definitely be my favourite box set of all time. I really love the canisters as they are so reminiscent of those used for storing film reels. Wish that all Blu-ray Discs are similarly packaged, with a base stand and a clear acrylic or plastic slot-over cover, plus a poster card insert of the movie's official poster art.

Certainly great value under £50. But have actually overspent as I had first bought the Masterpiece Collection already for £83. That book was handsome but dislike the way the discs are stored in tight slots cut into sides of the book pages. Universal should have thought of the canisters the first time.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Love how each canister is labelled with the film title and year on top and round the side. :thumbs:
image.jpg

Last edited:
Since I have both this and the Masterpiece Collection now, I compared them today and got a surprise.

First, the sizes compared:

image.jpg

image.jpg

The Masterpiece Collection is about half the depth of, 2 cm less wide and slightly taller than the Ultimate Collection.

Then the surprise - the common extras, I thought they were identical, well, they are not!

I will show each extra's differences:

Storyboards - Top row, Ultimate Col. 3 sheets vs Bottom row, Masterpiece Col. 4 sheets
image.jpg

Poster Art Cards - Left, Masterpiece Col. gloss finish vs. Right, Ultimate Col. matte
image.jpg

Letters - Top pic, Masterpiece Col. 3 letters vs. Bottom pic, Ultimate Col. 4 letters (all different)
image.jpg

image.jpg

Booklet - Identical in contents but different cover. Left, Masterpiece Col. vs. Right, Ultimate Col.
image.jpg

Now, extras that are not common:

The two Art Cards for the two extra movies not in the Masterpiece Col.
image.jpg

Production Blueprints and Sketches only in the Masterpiece Col.
image.jpg

The eight Costume Design Cards (which I love) only in the Masterpiece Col.
image.jpg

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00EZJQTYS/?tag=hidefnin0d-21

the german version, for only 69.99€ at the moment.

The price went up since your post but still really good offer, thanks!

Do you know if there is any difference with the German ver.? Are the letters translated? or do the blurays start with German language as default? I am planning to gift this to a non-German speaker so I'd appreciate it if anyone can inform me : ) otherwise if there is still the English ver. available at a reasonable price that would be great!

The price went up since your post but still really good offer, thanks!

Do you know if there is any difference with the German ver.? Are the letters translated? or do the blurays start with German language as default? I am planning to gift this to a non-German speaker so I'd appreciate it if anyone can inform me : ) otherwise if there is still the English ver. available at a reasonable price that would be great!
I've just watched an unboxing of the German Edition and whilst the letters are not translated into German, the 'Master of Suspense' booklet is in German, and so are the titles on the film reel tins, both on the top of them and round the side. This ruins it for me, I guess I'll have to wait for it to go down in price again in the UK... If it ever does!