Release date: February 15, 2016
Purchase link: Filmarena
Price: 599 CZK (22,78 €)
Notes: Confirmed debossed title, limited to 2000 numbered copies
Group buy: carllenc

Looper.jpg

LOOPER_FRONT_SLIP.jpg Looper_back_full.jpg Looper_.jpglooper-bs-full-hd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This one is world exclusive art for Film Arena, which means it'll most likely be a standard print-run of 4,000 copies.

Well, the 751 copies that R4FFO mentioned were of Ex Machina, where I got burned myself today. The journey from the split second that the Purchase button appeared to when I hit the final Confirmation button took me exactly 30 seconds (I timed it), and I still didn't get one. Cart-jacking is apparently alive and well at FA.

Anyway, it's my understanding that the artwork on that one is World Exclusive, so if that's the case, WEA doesn't necessarily mean Looper will be at least 1500 copies, right? I wasn't aware of the group buy on Ex Machina (I'm fairly new to Ninja), but I absolutely will not miss it on Looper. Machina was my first experience buying directly from FA, and I'm never doing it again. Their "still collectible numbers" thing combined with their apparent reservation of huge amounts for group buys are highly unfair to individuals in my opinion. I hate that I had to learn my lesson with that particular film, my favorite of the last year.

Well with the whole group buy reservation is nice because there at least we have a chance to get the steel with shipping for less than buying it direct and having it shipped. For fa to ship it cost almost as if you were buying two movies. And with the group buy you can have more than one movie sent to save on shipping. I very much apreciate what @carllenc does for these group buys with all the packaging he has to do and such. Also it helps people get them for a lot better price than eBay.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: MrBMT and Actarus
No doubt! It was actually going to cost me MORE for shipping than for the Blu-ray itself, using the cheapest method!

And yes, these guys who do the group buys are beyond cool (I was part of the group buy for the Mondo release of Ex Machina), I wasn't trying to knock them at all. Which is why from now on it's group buys for life for me, at least where FA is concerned. I was just frustrated by the whole Machina experience today. They clearly should have produced more than 751 copies.

Looking again at FA's Machina page, it's clear that they refer to just the slip box as WEA (which only makes sense, since the Steelbook itself appears to be identical to half a dozen other releases). So I'm guessing that when you guys say that Looper is WEA, you mean the Steelbook itself (although there have been Blu-ray releases with nearly identical images, just composed differently)? And that would mean that there will be more than 1500 copies produced?

@adarkcorner whenever FA does a release using the WWA steel (meaning the same as every other country) they can only go with a release that they are able to put their hands on enough steels to make their packages since they do not manufacture it, for exemple for Whiplash they were not able to get their hands on more than 500 steelbooks so they could only do 500 releases. For Ex_Machina they managed to secure 750 copies of the ''world wide art'' steelbook so they could only manage to do 750 packages for Ex_Machina as they could only get their hands on that many steelbooks. So when it comes to them doing their releases using the WWA steels that they have to obtain, releases tend to turn around 300 to 1500 generally and the most popular amounts are 500, 750, 1000 and 1500 those numbers are the ones the most often they will manufacture. But for each of those releases Karel always manages to get 300 generally and it has gone to average 500 for the higher print run. So he can secure a fairly large amount of copies considering at how many film arena are actually manufacturing. So you have to set your expectations that this is the NORM. and those with the WWA Steels that they make, they will make an exclusive WEA FullSlip to go with the WWA Steelbooks, so the FullSlip is WEA to put all the bonus item and the steel that the FullSlip will contain. It goes fast depending how popular the title is :p

They recently started doing FULL WEA both FullSlips and Steelbooks and those will be around 3000 to 4000 for the print run. But Film arena will continue in between their WEA releases, to release the ''regular film arena Collection'' that are made using the WWA steel which are much lower in print run. It has been so since the beginning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jospef and harry
Well, the 751 copies that R4FFO mentioned were of Ex Machina, where I got burned myself today. The journey from the split second that the Purchase button appeared to when I hit the final Confirmation button took me exactly 30 seconds (I timed it), and I still didn't get one. Cart-jacking is apparently alive and well at FA.

Anyway, it's my understanding that the artwork on that one is World Exclusive, so if that's the case, WEA doesn't necessarily mean Looper will be at least 1500 copies, right? I wasn't aware of the group buy on Ex Machina (I'm fairly new to Ninja), but I absolutely will not miss it on Looper. Machina was my first experience buying directly from FA, and I'm never doing it again. Their "still collectible numbers" thing combined with their apparent reservation of huge amounts for group buys are highly unfair to individuals in my opinion. I hate that I had to learn my lesson with that particular film, my favorite of the last year.
I myself have been burned on a couple of steelbooks which can be really frustrating to us newcomers and kind of takes the fun out collecting (especially if you are trying to complete a set).
If they are going to reserve amounts to collectible numbers and reservations they should do larger runs to give people a chance to collect one of the best versions of a favorite film of their choice.

they should do larger runs to give people a chance to collect one of the best versions of a favorite film of their choice.
Film Arena have no choice in how many Steelbooks they get unless they do a World Exclusive Art release (WEA; a steelbook design unique to Film Arena). In this case they can choose how many steelbooks are produced (a 'standard' steelbook print run is 4,000 copies - though some companies choose to buy more when having them produced e.g. for some Marvel steelbooks, and some choose to have less e.g. Zavvi's 'ultra limited' steelbooks).

When it's a World Wide Art release (WWA; steelbook design available for multiple retailers) they end up sharing the print run with outher retailers, and potentially even other countries. In which case it's down to the studio that produces them how many Film Arena end up with and if they are allowed to add extra goodies or not. There's nothing Film Arena they can do to provide bigger print runs in this case - it's completely out of their hands.

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: Actarus and Jospef
Film Arena have no choice in how many Steelbooks they get unless they do a World Exclusive Art release (WEA; a steelbook design unique to Film Arena). In this case they can choose how many steelbooks are produced (a 'standard' steelbook print run is 4,000 copies - though some companies choose to buy more when having them produced e.g. for some Marvel steelbooks, and some choose to have less e.g. Zavvi's 'ultra limited' steelbooks).

When it's a World Wide Art release (WWA; steelbook design available for multiple retailers) they end up sharing the print run with outher retailers, and potentially even other countries. In which case it's down to the studio that produces them how many Film Arena end up with and if they are allowed to add extra goodies or not. There's nothing Film Arena they can do to provide bigger print runs in this case - it's completely out of their hands.
I did not know that. Thanks for the info:thumbs:

It would be good if you could buy the slip covers and extra's separately so that you could build up your own unnumbered edition

Ahhh, that explains so much. I didn't know that was how WWA releases worked. Thanks, Actarus!

You welcome, at least when you understand how it works it is less frustrating and you are more on your toes...same thing as Kimchi or Other Asian retailer does also, its not different !

For Exemple Blufans did an ''Only At Blufans'' release for The Maze Runner(and few other titles) which is ''their own version of an exclusive Package'' like film arena and they only produced 500 copies.
Same thing goes for Kimchi Korea for Cinderella FullSlip, their FullSlip Packages with the bonus items and the WWA steelbooks of Cinderella, it was also limited to 500 copies.
So in terms of Using the WWA Steels to created their own FullSlips to add bonus items exclusive to a specific retailers: Asian or Film Arena, it all works the same way...so Film Arena are not the only ones doing it this way, the Asian retailers also do those types of exclusives Packages very limited.