Purchase link: Maleficent (sold-out)
Price: £24.99
Notes: 4,000 copies, Full gloss finish

01.jpg

02.jpg
00.jpg 03.jpg
Maleficent.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh boy....I'm truly disappointed in the artwork. It is not bad by any means. Some may say it is not Zavvi's fault or that they were naive. I would disagree with both. They have used HDN before to preview select steelbooks like Bambi, Cinderella I believe and plenty of other steelbooks. Why not do the same with this? They obviously were aware that the steelbook was different from the artwork displayed upon receiving them so blaming the publisher is ineffective IMO.

Well, now I feel like a ******** for getting the equally priced Spanish version. Was hoping this would indeed be white and the rest of the Spanish run would go to Asian distributors.

This is just ridiculous, I bought the Spanish version just last week after someone posted here that Zavvi has confirmed the white one is correct artwork. What a waste... I feel well annoyed now.
Same here bought the Spanish one i was gutted when i opened the Zavvi box. I was so looking forward to getting the spanish one now this has totally spoilt that.:(

Reactions: Dhiraj1
Anyone know if the same design team at Disney design all their steelbooks? (e.g. the Disney Zavvi collection, the Marvel series of steelbooks and releases such as this...)

I'd imagine Disney have a home video department that has people working for it who then either farm releases out to employed designers or design firms that (obviously) design the product. I wouldn't be surprised if every home video release is created by the same team, be it steelbook, amaray or otherwise. When it comes to regular releases, more often than not Disney use a variation of one of the theatrical posters. Steelbooks seemingly go for something a bit more 'creative' with varying degrees of success.

It's steelbooks that create the most issues as Disney are clearly big on saving money. It used to be one design for Europe and other regions, and another design for the US and Canada. This is why Marvel movies ended up with no titles on the steelbook, just the J-card, something that's starting to happen with US/Canadian releases (unless GotG gets a different spine). Disney don't care whether you or I love the design, or whether they match as the sad fact is, they sell regardless.

Disney DVDs and Blu-rays have never been consistent. First off, the DVDs had the 'Disney Classic' branding on the spine. Then the yellow oval, now it's the fancy writing. The new number design has been introduced before the final 3 DVDs have been released with the oval. Blu-rays have had no oval, yellow oval, fancy writing, picture at the top, picture at the bottom, misaligned spines and so on. Now both have foil O-ring packaging (for a limited time), but the amaray cover underneath and the colour of the disc within are pure pot luck.

Looking just at the steelbooks... Aladdin doesn't have the Disney logo on the spine. The Little Mermaid, The Jungle Book and Fantasia have coloured Disney logos, all the others are white. Wreck it Ralph has its title centralised on the spine, Bambi is too high and Mulan is too low. Frozen has no title at all (and a picture at the top!). Fantasia is matte, Aladdin is gloss. Robin Hood is embossed, Frozen is flat. 101 Dalmatians has a border, Pinocchio does not. And so on and so on and...

Unfortunately, whether a Disney title is a Zavvi, Amazon or HMV exclusive or simply a worldwide release, it's Disney and Disney alone that sign off on the design. Their overall opinion is, 'here's what you're getting, put up or shut up'. They've never changed.

Hi Drum,

I do actually like the black version. However, I cannot agree that this is not Zavvi's fault.

Disney have sent the info to Zavvi, so up until the stock arrives, its Disney's problem.

However, once Zavvi were in receipt of the stock, then it is Zavvi's responsibility to 1) ensure the product matches what THEY have paid for and 2) let customers know and also change the artwork on the main site, as soon as they became aware of the discrepancy.

Never mind decency from Zavvi, its just common sense for them to do so. I cant agree with them not being liable for this. At best, Disney and Zavvi are to blame, but it was Zavvi that posted these out, not Disney.
+1 +1 +1
Agreed.

I didn't thought it that way and your point is absolute right! As soon as the retailer has it in their warehouse, before charging/shipping, they should inspect the product and let us know if there's any change.

Thanks for bringing me on the right path! :)

+1 +1 +1
Agreed.

I didn't thought it that way and your point is absolute right! As soon as the retailer has it in their warehouse, before charging/shipping, they should inspect the product and let us know if there's any change.

Thanks for bringing me on the right path! :)

Nothing but respect for you dude. (please don't step on my Mondo Drive steelbook! :hilarious: :thumbs:

Reactions: spass and Drum18
Hi all, fyi, HDN did not receive any advance notice that the art was going to change from the mockup. We have been in touch with Zavvi to see if they could provide additional info on how or why the art switch occurred. We'll post as other updates become available. Thanks all!

Sorry digitalbabe but myself and others on here had it confirmed by zavvi just 2 days before the weekend that what we were getting was the shown white version !
There is no way they could not have known that it was black before dispatch and to let us know the change in color.
They must of had stock in their warehouse at least 3 - 5 days before shipping started.
Another prime example of how Zavvi mislead their customers and I feel sorry for those who already ordered the Spanish version and hoping to get a white one from Zavvi to make a lovely set.
Every person that has paid or ordered via paypal should make Zavvi responsible for their actions and be liable for all return postage costs as the item is clearly not as described or shown when purchased.
They really do need to sort out their system with artwork before these steelbooks get released in future as people buy different versions of the same title from overseas.