Official Alcohol Discussion Thread!

Jan 28, 2009
Manteca, CA
Can we get a sticky for this? :D

What do ya'll prefer to drink? Beer, Wine, Hard Liquor, Wine Coolers? All of them?

I only drink Beer and Hard Liquor. Mint Mojito is about the only thing close to a wine cooler I'll drink though LOL

I would only do a pound or two and cut them up first. You could even squeeze the juice from them before adding it all in there but I think that 5 lbs would be super overkill for a cherry wheat. I'll be brewing this weekend too, making a big IPA 4 different kinds of hops, all of which are over 10% alpha acids - MMMMMmmmmm, goin to be so bitter :D

Sad story last saturday though. I had previously drank 2 beers that evening and went to grab a refill. As soon as I pulled the tap on my IPA, it just gurgled at me :eek: So I move to the other tap (coffee stout) and I had enough luck to get a full glass, but at the very end of the pour, that tap gurgled at me too!!! I now owned an empty kegerator and I hadn't kegged the newest batch yet. I put my new ESB in there on sunday but I'm a sad man until this weekend when it will be carbonated :(

Cherry Wheat, coffee stout? why can't you fellas live closer?!! :p we could be :smashed: sometimes lol

It definitely helps me get through the work week. And sometimes is def an understatement Rick/ Horhay!!!

@OC, you gotta get it sooner!!! It's so incredibly easy compared to bottling, you'll wonder why you didnt do it sooner. Plus its really nice when I want to drink out of a specific glass that can hold more than just 12 oz. I am weird about filling the whole thing up so if all I have is 12 oz bottles, then I cant use some of my bigger glasses.... OCD perhaps :p

Last edited:
It definitely helps me get through the work week. And sometimes is def an understatement Rick/ Horhay!!!

@OC, you gotta get it sooner!!! It's so incredibly easy compared to bottling, you'll wonder why you didnt do it sooner. Plus its really nice when I want to drink out of a specific glass that can hold more than just 12 oz. I am weird about filling the whole thing up so if all I have is 12 oz bottles, then I cant use some of my bigger glasses.... OCD perhaps :p

Oh believe me I know...I was mentally assaulted in a meeting yesterday, luckily I had somewhere to be after work otherwise I would of probably killed the 9 Guiness I had in the fridge! :D

@splax, you gotta get it sooner!!! It's so incredibly easy compared to bottling, you'll wonder why you didnt do it sooner. Plus its really nice when I want to drink out of a specific glass that can hold more than just 12 oz. I am weird about filling the whole thing up so if all I have is 12 oz bottles, then I cant use some of my bigger glasses.... OCD perhaps :p

I mentioned the keg setup. I completely see your point. This is why I do about half of my batches in 12oz ambers and the other half 16oz Grolsch bottles. I've got a couple of mugs I keep in the freezer that hold a 16oz perfectly. :scat:

As of right now, the plan is to turn the basement into a home theater. :movie: I also want to put a small kitchen down there with a microwave, some cabinets, sink, and fridge. The water lines will be easy to run, and I've already decided to put in a kegorator and have the tap come up through the countertop. :scat: I can't wait!

I actually edited at 2:10, you must have been extra sneaky and gotten in before me! I put splax at first because he used to have that same avatar. The plan sounds excellent though, I really wish I had a basement :(

This is the strangest thread to be on this website. But I will participate. I live in probably the worst party college town in the U.S., but I do not drink much. But Jim Beam Red Stag Black Cherry Whiskey is an alcohol that I can drink like soda pop. The only bear that I have ever liked is Sam Adams Chocolate Bock from the Winter Classics variety pack.

This is the strangest thread to be on this website. But I will participate. I live in probably the worst party college town in the U.S., but I do not drink much. But Jim Beam Red Stag Black Cherry Whiskey is an alcohol that I can drink like soda pop. The only bear that I have ever liked is Sam Adams Chocolate Bock from the Winter Classics variety pack.

We've actually got a couple threads like this. We've got one that covers beer recomendations, another that covers the same for wine, and this thread. This one has a little of the other two in it, but a few of us do home brew and we'll talk about our setups, questions, successes, and headaches here. It's a good time.

I found out the other day through Twitter and Charlie Papazian (founder and President of the American Homebrewer's Association) that I can mail my beer as long as I don't use the US Postal Service. :scat:

Been trying to find some of this beer......

Look Rick! Gingerbread! hahaha

gingerbread-and-glass.png

Never had that stuff, dunno about ginger in a beer.... I've had a couple other Bison beers and they're just okay. Their main claim to fame is taht they are all organic. I dont think it makes it taste any better though.

Side note: I just placed an order for a huge quadruple - I'm calling it "The Quadfather". 16 pounds of grain in this bad boy, pilsner base malt with special B, caravienne, aromatic, and belgian candi sugar. It's going to be wonderful :D :D :D :D

Never had that stuff, dunno about ginger in a beer.... I've had a couple other Bison beers and they're just okay. Their main claim to fame is taht they are all organic. I dont think it makes it taste any better though.

Side note: I just placed an order for a huge quadruple - I'm calling it "The Quadfather". 16 pounds of grain in this bad boy, pilsner base malt with special B, caravienne, aromatic, and belgian candi sugar. It's going to be wonderful :D :D :D :D

EEK! Wow! I'm imagining a darker straw color, but any idea what the ABV or IBUs will be?

Its going to be a little darker than that despite the fact that it has a ton of pilsner malt. The special B has a pretty dark rating, something over 200 lovibond. And the caravienne is reddish as well so Im expecting a reddish-purple color. The candi sugar is just called "amber" as well so who knows how dark that will be. Im not going for much bitterness, I'm estimating only 30 so I can let the malt and yeast phenols dominate. As for alcohol, we'll see if I hit all my gravities and get a good mash (never done this much grain!) but I'm expecting right around 9.0% :D

Its going to be a little darker than that despite the fact that it has a ton of pilsner malt. The special B has a pretty dark rating, something over 200 lovibond. And the caravienne is reddish as well so Im expecting a reddish-purple color. The candi sugar is just called "amber" as well so who knows how dark that will be. Im not going for much bitterness, I'm estimating only 30 so I can let the malt and yeast phenols dominate. As for alcohol, we'll see if I hit all my gravities and get a good mash (never done this much grain!) but I'm expecting right around 9.0% :D

:scat: This sounds amazing.

I haven't had a beer in 6 weeks. Been training to be a cage fighter.

No but seriously, I haven't had a beer in 6 weeks. I wonder what one would taste like now.... hmmmmmm

I haven't had a beer in 6 weeks. Been training to be a cage fighter.

No but seriously, I haven't had a beer in 6 weeks. I wonder what one would taste like now.... hmmmmmm

That's really cool. Good luck with that. One of these days I want to get around to some Brazillian Ju Jitsu classes.