Official Alcohol Discussion Thread!

Jan 28, 2009
Manteca, CA
Can we get a sticky for this? :D

What do ya'll prefer to drink? Beer, Wine, Hard Liquor, Wine Coolers? All of them?

I only drink Beer and Hard Liquor. Mint Mojito is about the only thing close to a wine cooler I'll drink though LOL

Makes sense. I've started doubling my bottle carbonation time as well. My last batch was an Irish Stout, and I let it carbonate for a week as directed. I thought it turned out fairly well, but wasn't 100% on it. I went back a week later and it was a completely different beer. Now anything I bottle will carbonate for two weeks at a minimum. That kinda sucks a little because I would have loved a cold wheat beer yesterday due to the heat. I'll just have to wait until next weekend.

this is why kegging your beer is soooo much better than bottle carbing. You can have it carbed ready 2 days and if you want to bottle it just unhook the gas and depressurize the keg until it trickles and bottle that way. I do it all the time with fantastic results.

I bought a BUNCH of diff Beers at World Market ... One of which I bought you guys Im sure have seen at many grocery stores even ... called Red Stripe , I've never had it since I was like 16 (and hated at the time) looking forward to drinking it this afternoon ....

so is it any good?

Pumpkin Ales are one of my favorite autumn beers...

Quad is also a great micro brew to get ripped on, i believe its 11.8% alcohol lol

I got suckered in to trying Red Stripe because of their commercials. "Hooray Beer!" Red Stripe = never again.

I picked up another custom 6-pack this weekend. Should be interesting.
Rogue - Dead Guy Ale - Maibock
New Belgium - 1554 - Black Lager
New Belgium - Ranger IPA
New Belgium - Sunshine Wheat
Boulevard - Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale - Saison
Lagunitas - The Hairy Eyeball - American Strong Ale - love the name of this

Should be fun. Still debating on my next batch of homebrew. I'm either going to try and clone Boulevard Wheat or make a Maibock.

Last edited:
DSCF8526.jpg

That sonoran is an agave nectar brewed ale and aged in oak ... its literally a liquor beer ... pretty awesome. Pricey too, was $22 for almost 13 oz. 19.87% alcohol or something close to that! crazy.

and some of the grillin done today.

DSCF8528.jpg

ribs, burgers, dogs, and carne asada ... steaks tonight!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fischer Amber Ale ... even the Colombia was both from France. They were both pretty awesome.

Sounds tasty. I love those bottles too. When I started homebrewing, I bought a case of Groelsch just for the bottles. I would have loved to have found the amber bottles, but the green were fine. Just the thought of Groelsch beer itself makes me a little nauseous. It was ok if you already had a few, but not good if you go for it for the first beer of the night.

I kegged 5 gallons of blackberry wit yesterday and brewed 6 gallons of my Heavy C's IPA (Columbus, Chinook, and Centennial hops). I think I'm more excited for the IPA, unforunately that one will take much longer to be ready :tear:

I've noticed I'm gravitating to the IPAs (IIPAs too) a lot lately. My top three beers at the moment are: Surly Furious, DFA 90 min IPA, and New Belgium's Ranger IPA. Throw in some Schlafly American IPA and I'm all set. Let me know how yours turns out. I might be brewing one this weekend. The guy that created the recipe is a Red Dead Redemption fan, so he named it after the game. It uses Amarillo, Summit and Chinook hops.

Estimated stats:
IBU: 71.5
SRM: 15.5
ABV: 6.62%

One of these days, I might have to come with a Red Faction beer for Diva and Wreck. Something like a mild Irish Red with an ABV that hits you like a sledgehammer. :hilarious:

I also made some spent grains dog treats this weekend using the grain from my last batch.

Last edited:
I almost always have an IPA on tap so I've gotten pretty good at brewing them the way I like it. I also like most of those beers you just named but the ranger IPA was a bit off if I had to describe it. I really wanted to like it because its chock-full of hops, but most of the flavor I got was cascade and I'm not real big on those.... I'm all over anything with Chinook, Centennial, and Simcoe hops though!

That combo for your IPA looks nice as well. But it really only came out to 71 IBU's? With summit in there I thought it would have been up around 90 or so, those things are packed with AA's.

Oh, my dogs always get a couple handfuls of spent grains too, they love em!