Official MMA Thread!

Horhay

ホルヘ
Jan 27, 2009
San Pedro, CA
Yes, I think it's about time I start this! :scat: Place all info relating to MMA in this thread!

UFCLogo.jpg

wec_logo_3.jpg

strikeforce_logo15.gif

Last edited:
Here's Saturday's Strikeforce results.

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X7_omQENszI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X7_omQENszI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ua3ywoxubEc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ua3ywoxubEc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DrR-KQtplUE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DrR-KQtplUE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

I am not sure what to think about Strikeforce, Nick Diaz looks like some weak Welterweight Champ, Lawler's fight was decent, and Lashley's opponent was just fat! :hilarious:

After Strikeforce welterweight champion “Diablo” Nick Diaz (21-8) TKO’d DREAM welterweight champion “Whitemare” Marius Zaromskis (11-3) at Strikeforce in Miami last Saturday, he called out Fighters.com and UFC welterweight champion “Rush” Georges St. Pierre (19-2).

“I want to fight Georges St. Pierre,” Diaz told the post-fight press conference in Miami. “If they give me an option, that’s the only fight I’m talking about. I want to fight the best. I want to fight the people that everybody thinks is the best out there.”

Whoa, son. Slow down.

Fighters.com is as big of a Diaz fan as anyone, but let’s all be honest about who Diaz is and why we love him. Diaz is a bulldog-tough, talented fighter that loves to mix it up before, during, and after fights.

But, Diaz had a run in the UFC’s welterweight division. He beat guys like “Ruthless” Robbie Lawler (17-5) and Drew Fickett (35-6), but lost to “The Heat” Karo Parisyan (18-5), ninth-ranked lightweight “Nightmare” Diego Sanchez (21-3), and tenth-ranked lightweight “Muscle Shark” Sean Sherk (33-4-1). Note that two of those guys have since dropped to lightweight.

But, even more ridiculous is who Diaz said he wouldn’t fight.

“I’d rather fight somebody that’s a little more important than Jay Hieron.[His] fight wasn’t even on the main card, so why am I going to fight him?”

True, “Thoroughbred” Jay Hieron (16-4) fought on the undercard in Miami, primarily due to politics, not popularity or talent. In fact, Strikeforce had to scramble to stream the fight due to the outrage from MMA fans that Hieron wouldn’t be televised. But, in that fight Hieron beat “Diesel” Joe Riggs (31-11), a fighter who beat Diaz at UFC 57. Why are you going to Hieron, Nick? Because he just beat a guy you couldn’t beat. There’s a good reason.

Diaz also said, “Who is [KJ Noons]? He hasn’t fought forever. This guy doesn’t even fight anymore or something or quit, is scared.”

Again, Diaz must’ve taken to many hits to the head or hits off the pipe because I can tell you who KJ Noons (7-2) is. He’s the guy TKO’d Diaz for the EliteXC 165-pound title in 2007. The fight was stopped by a doctor due to the damage Diaz took to his face from Noons’s boxing attack.

Diaz is certainly more popular than either Hieron or Noons, but that’s just marketing, not fighting. And, Diaz has certainly improved since his losses in the UFC, but then prove it in the cage. Both Hieron or Noons are legit matchups for Diaz.

St. Pierre, however, is not. I would actually be afraid for Diaz if he fought St. Pierre, because I like Diaz so much. And, I know there’s no quit in Diaz. St. Pierre would so outclass Diaz that Diaz’s life would be in danger because he simply wouldn’t quit. He’d absorb it all until someone threw in the towel or the doctor stopped the fight.

This is what happens when you get punched too much in the head and you can't stop smoking weed, you think you can beat anyone that steps in your way. :hilarious:

I would love to see Diaz get his a$$ whooped by St. Pierre!

UFC 111 will go down in history as the first ever broadcast pay-per-view event fully in Spanish. This move leads me to believe that an event live from Mexico can’t be far behind.The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced this all Spanish broadcast on Monday complete with new UFC announcers Troy Santiago and Victor Davila.

This momentous event will include Spanish graphics, play-by-play and on camera commentary. Dana White stated “For our fans who want to watch and listen to our UFC events in Spanish, we are now creating a show just for them, in their language, so they can enjoy the whole UFC experience from start to finish.”

UFC 111: St. Pierre versus Hardy is already being picked up by DirecTV, iNDemand, DISH Network and Avail-TVN pay-per-view carriers for the Spanish language feed.

This is a move that comes rather late in the life of the Zuffa owned company in my opinion. Regardless, it is a very positive move for the future of the UFC. Historically speaking, Spanish fight fans have been a very large source of income for boxing. The Mexican population has always loved combat sports and I foresee the UFC grabbing hold and taking root.

Mexico is a place ripe for the picking when it comes to athletes. Many have studied boxing since they were children and as of late have worked to incorporate martial arts into their repertoires.

As I have stated on MMA Gospel Radio, Mexico is a place the UFC must head to soon. Right now they are working on going overseas but I believe the best course of action is to hold a pay-per-event live from Mexico this year. Fighters with Mexican heritage are already in the UFC. Fighters such as “The Huntington Beach Bad Boy” Tito Ortiz (15-7-1), “Nightmare” Diego Sanchez (21-3) and Efrain Escudero (8-1) to name a few are men that would be perfect to have on the main card of a UFC event in Mexico.

The growth of this sport and the worldwide appeal the UFC brass are seeking will surely take off with a move down south and I look forward to watching it take place.

Not sure why they haven't thought about this before!

The Ultimate Fighter 10 champion “Big Country” Roy Nelson (14-4) and 6′ 11″ heavyweight prospect “SkySkraper” Stefan Struve (23-3) will matchup at UFC Fight Night 21 in Charlotte March 31, according to MMA Junkie.

Nelson knocked out of Brendan Schaub (3-1) at The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale in Las Vegas December 5, winning the TUF 10 tournament.

Struve won a majority decision over “Head Hunter” Paul Buentello (25-11) at UFC 107 in Memphis December 12. It was an exciting slugfest narrowly pulled out by the young Dutchman!

Nelson had posted to his Twitter account that he’d fight former boxing champion James Toney, but it was apparently a prank.

Not sure about this matchup, Struve didn't look too good against Buentello.

Fighters.com’s ninth-ranked lightweight “Nightmare” Diego Sanchez (21-3) will return to 170 pounds to fight “Hitman” John Hathaway (11-0) at UFC 114 in Las Vegas May 29, Diaz announced via Twitter Tuesday.

Sanchez will return from a TKO versus Fighters.com and UFC lightweight champion “The Prodigy” BJ Penn (15-5-1) at UFC 107 in Memphis last December.

Hathaway won a unanimous decision over “Relentless” Paul Taylor (10-5-1) at UFC 105 in Manchester last November.

The matchup is a significant step-up for Hathaway, a prospect Fighters.com has had our eye on for awhile. However, from Taylor to a recent lightweight title challenger, even though the fight is at 170 pounds, is quite a leap.

I am glad to see Sanchez back in action!

UFC head honcho Dana White got down to business with reporters after today's UFC 109 press conference and told them, among other things, that Kimbo Slice's next opponent will indeed be fellow TUF 10 contestant Matt Mitrione. According to White, the fight is going down at UFC 113 in Montreal, and you know what that means, right? The Miami Pound Machine is finally going international, playa!

From where I sit, which is on my front porch whittling away at a stick and keeping an eye on those no good neighborhood kids, it's a matchup that makes sense. It pits Slice against another foe who can throw them things, so to speak, and hopefully without any weird catchweight stuff to try and tip the scales in his favor. It also lends him the appearance of fighting a credible UFC heavyweight, because at least Mitrione was on TV acting crazy quite a bit and is coming off an impressive KO win over Marcus Jones on the finale. The fact that it was his first professional fight and now he gets Kimbo, well, what did you expect? They aren't feeding 'Ferg to the wolves until they're sure he's served his purpose.

Speaking of guys who have served their purpose but continue to hang around, DW spoke about Tito Ortiz's claim that Chuck Liddell had recently licked alcoholism thanks to an intervention by White himself. You'd better sit down for this one, because it sounds as if Tito might have been fudging the truth just a bit:

It's not true. I never stepped in and had an intervention for Chuck Liddell, and he never went to rehab or anything like that. Tito says some crazy stuff sometimes, you know? Chuck Liddell is not drinking. He stopped drinking to get ready for this fight.

Chuck hates Tito. He doesn't understand why I brought him back. He doesn't think he belongs here.

First of all Dana, when you make the statement "Tito says some crazy stuff sometimes" and you are talking to a group of MMA reporters, it is completely unnecessary to follow it with "you know?" Trust me, they know.

Second, if Chuck had had an intervention, I'd like to think you would have had the good sense to use it as a co-promotional opportunity with A&E. And that you would have requested Candy. She's the best.

Lastly, everything was going very smoothly until you followed the sentence about Liddell not drinking with a sentence about how he had stopped drinking to prepare for this fight. That implies that he was drinking up until very recently, and also maybe hints that he'll start up again as soon as the fight's over. Just saying, when we're talking about a supposedly non-existent drinking problem, sometimes less detail is the way to go.

Interesting.

This is hilarious! You got to see it to believe it.

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cm9APLkGy7M&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cm9APLkGy7M&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]
:hilarious:

FYI - Damian Maia will be replacing Vitor Belfort in Abu Dhabi. So now it's Anderson Silva vs Damian Maia for the Middleweight belt. Damn I feel bad for Maia, but I seriously expect a beating coming his way lol

haha the funnies part about it is that everyone comes in with a plan on how to beat him, but I think it would be much easier if they just make peace with the fact that they might just get whooped :hilarious:

Just like Brett Rogers "faking" an injury strategy to beat Fedor lol and the outcome was not what he expected lol

This is the writer's opinion. I also happen to think the UFC would be crazy to cut Silva from their ranks. Sure he is old, but still a legend to be kept around.

This coming Saturday UFC 110 takes place and we get to see a man that was once considered the most feared fighter in mixed martial arts, “The Axe Murderer” Wanderlei Silva (33-10-1). The question has been posed that if Silva were to lose what happens to him on what is commonly referred to as “UFC Cut Day”. I am hear to tell you that Wanderlei is not going anywhere.

The UFC frowns on fighters that have multiple losses in a row and they tend to get cut. Wanderlei is coming into his fight with “The Count” Michael Bisping (18-2) with back to back losses. His last win inside the Octagon came at UFC 84 in May of 2008 against “The Dean of Mean” Keith Jardine (14-6-1). Obviously Silva wants a win but what happens if he were to lose Bisping?

The UFC would not cut Silva like they have other fighters with three straight losses. Wanderlei is a high profile fighter who has been involved in some of the best MMA fights we have ever witnessed. One does not release a guy like that as it would be promotional suicide. The UFC would essentially be giving a huge gift to Scott Coker and Strikeforce.

Dana White and the UFC brass would need to do something if he were to lose and the only option I see is them forcing him into retirement. Much to the dismay of fans of the now defunct Pride FC, this is the only solution that makes sense for the UFC.

They can allow (force) him to retire and use him as a spokesperson for the UFC. Of course all this talk is premature as the fight has yet to happen and Wanderlei told us in the media conference call that he was looking to bring back the destructive knees we saw him use in Pride. Since his arrival in the UFC those knees have been MIA and many fans have been calling for Wanderlei to get back to his roots.

This fight will be a great one involving two men that desperately need wins but for much different reasons. Wanderlei needs to win in order to keep the talks of retirement away but there is not a chance in hell that the UFC would cut him.

UFC 110 Fight Card for Saturday!

Minotauro Nogueira v Cain Velasquez
Wanderlei Silva v Michael Bisping
Joe Stevenson v George Sotiropoulos
Mirko Cro Cop v Ben Rothwell
Elvis Sinostic v Chris Haseman
Stephan Bonnar v Krzysztof Soszynski
Chris Lytle v Brian Foster
CB Dollaway v Goran Reljic
James Te Huna v Igor Pokrajac