Red Faction: Armageddon - Megathread - Out Now!

Jan 29, 2009
rf_logo_header.jpg

THQ will be shining the light on their new Red Faction title slightly sooner than expected; previously though to be an E3 reveal, the new game will instead be unveiled later this month, CEO Brian Farrell said today.

While discussing creating launch demand for all their future core titles on the company’s earnings call today, the executive said that we should see what he means later this month.

“I think you’ll see that in spades,” Farrell said. “You’ll see it in the way we unveil [the next Red Faction] later this month.”

Details on the title are still scarce, though Farrel did add that it builds on one of the weaker points of last year’s Red Faction: Guerrilla — the storyline.

“Red Faction’s always been a technological showpiece, and we wanted to add production values in terms of story and environment this year. And when you see the new Red Faction, it’s just a much more appealing game universe.”

--
Red Faction Armageddon is the follow-up to last year's surprise hit, Guerilla. Those hoping for more free-wheeling action under a Martian sky may be in for a rude shock.

The game's instead gone underground, having made a sharp turn at Survival Horror Boulevard. Sweeping vistas are being swapped out for underground chambers, and while this may seem a regression from Guerilla's open-world mayhem, remember that a large portion of that game's "world" were actually inaccessible corridors.

<div style="width: 480px;">
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" id="gtembed" width="480" height="392">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" />
<param name="movie" value="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=100960"/>
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<embed src="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=100960" swLiveConnect="true" name="gtembed" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="true" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="392"></embed>
</object>

500x_0347a0d239bc2eea820677a96aa38f58.jpg

500x_89c3612c709cb30ee1e12563a18ed3e0.jpg

500x_90774adbb4475b820201723596c94ad1.jpg

500x_c17f223a2d133a595eb017556befeb73.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
THQ Pushes Red Faction Armageddon to May 2011

THQ has now pencilled in Red Faction Armageddon for release in May 2011, having previously planned to ship the game a few months earlier.

In addition, the publisher also unveiled its fiscal 2012 line-up, which features fresh entries in the UFC and Saints Row franchises, along with Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine.

See below for the full line-up:

-Red Faction Armageddon May 2011
-MX vs. ATV Alive Spring 2011
-Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine Summer 2011
-Saints Row Fall 2011
-WWE Fall 2011
-UFC Winter 2012

We're only a few days into Twenty Eleven (Two Thousand Eleven?) and I thought you'd want to know about why this month is going to be exciting for fans of Red Faction.

- New Previews and Information on RFA

A whole slew of gaming publications went hands-on with RFA over the past few months and you'll be able to read their impressions on the 4th game in the Red Faction series starting later this month. As always, I'll relay the links through the front page news, so make sure to check back often.
- New RedFaction.com

When we first announced RFA to the world, we revamped RedFaction.com to reflect our new title, but it wasn't meant to be the final design. In the background, we've been working on a brand new RedFaction.com and we're planning to release it later this month. Our goal is to provide everyone more information on everything Red Faction, including Armageddon, Battlegrounds (XBL/PSN title), Origins (SyFy movie collaboration), and our legacy titles (RF1, RF2, Guerrilla).
- New Developer Content

Our Community Q&A took a backseat during the recent holiday season, but we're set to bring it back into full running order and start 2011 off with a bang. Our plan is to keep running these right up until RFA hits store shelves. As always, we're looking for questions straight from our community members. Remember, if you don't ask, we can't answer!

Along with that, there will be a slew of brand new Developer Blogs, articles focusing on the fiction behind Red Faction, and other custom content that you can only find here on the Red Faction Community Website.

- New Giveaways / Sweepstakes / Contests

You like swag. I have swag (along with some new shirts). I think we have a proper understanding now. Places to win will include right here, our Facebook page, and our Twitter feed. I'm also finalizing what may be the best giveaway I've personally created, with details on that hopefully next week.
Red Faction: Armageddon is only about 5 months from hitting store shelves, and I'm ridiculously excited about all of the changes this month will bring, let alone the four that will follow. Get ready for a whole slew of changes and new content!

Sweet, more promotion via media to come this month.

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 01:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

Battlegrounds the PSN game will be out a bit before Armageddon's release.

Also the mini series on SyFy called Origins will be bout before to bridge the gap in the story between Guerrilla and Armageddon.

You play as Darius Mason in Armageddon and was Alex Mason in Guerrilla ... The mini series follows Jack Mason who is Alex's son ... so Darius is the grandson of Alex (from RFG)

Last edited by a moderator:
Red Faction: Armageddon to last 12-15 hours

Volition’s Drew Holmes has revealed that sci-fi shooter Red Faction: Armageddon’s single-player campaign will clock in at around 12-15 hours long.

Speaking to VideoGamer, Holmes revealed that the terrain-destroying sequel will also chuck in a new game plus mode, allowing players to ramp up the difficulty and utilize any previously-obtained equipment.

"I think it's probably going to be somewhere between 12 and 15 hours," he said. "It's a good chunk, and we've got a decent amount of replayability.”

"We've got a new game plus that we'll be able to show off. You can crank up the difficulty, and anything you've used throughout the game, you're going to be able to go through and play with it again."

Red Faction: Armageddon takes place on Mars, and switches up Guerrilla’s sprawling, open-ended antics for a more horror-themed adventure set in the planet’s creepy underground network.

Armageddon will be unleashed for PlayStation 3 platforms in June 2011.

Sounds good, might be 12-15 hours to beat ... but nowhere near to complete if anything like RFG.

Red Faction: Armageddon Pre-Order Incentives Emerge

Red_Faction_bonus.jpg

There's two packs of DLC up for grabs from various retailers, as well as a couple of other bits and bobs.

In the US, GameStop is offering the Commando Pack, which comes with a devastating Plasma Thrower weapon and funky dual Laser Pistols for use in Campaign and Infestation modes. You'll also get a download token to snap up Red Faction: Battlegrounds for free. Best Buy meanwhile, is offering the Recon Pack, bundling a recon outfit with two more exclusive weapons in the Arc Welder and the XNG-5000, which launches homing Nanite projectiles that dissolves targets. Lovely.

Finally, a pre-order from WalMart in the US will net you a Red Faction: Armageddon comic book and a mini strategy guide. If however, you happen to live in the UK, you can pre-order from Play.com and get both the Commando and Recon Packs together.

Pre-order Bonus
Pre-order Red Faction Armageddon, for PS3 or Xbox 360, and get $10 off a future THQ video game purchase, as well as a digital download of the Red Faction Battlegrounds game. The promotional code will be placed directly into your Amazon.com account, and the Battlegrounds access code will be e-mailed, within two business days after your order ships. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com, while supplies last. Limit one per customer. You will need a US PlayStation Network account or US Xbox Live account to download the bonus digital content. Please read the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live terms of use. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time.

And there is AMZ pre-order ...

I can't believe I will be out of town when this releases ............ :( :( :(

No competitive multi-player :( ... only co-op zombie like mode called Infestation against aliens.

this came out today! Tho no ps3 where I'm at hahahaha ... so gotta wait I guess. Probably still go pick it up tho.

Yeah what was that about ....... one week? I went today and couldnt find it and then found out ...... oh well, closer to when I'm back ... tho when im on the road, ugh.

im confused , they said no competitive mp then I buy the game (but not home yet to play) and on the back it says it has MP, Leaderboards, matching making lobbies etc. I hope that isnt all just describing the alien mode.

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

well i read up some , still seems like no C-MP ... boooooooo

Yeah, I like it. It's totally different from RFG, which is cool, but still relates back to it from time to time. The game doesn't like for you to explore, giving you 10 seconds to return back to where you were going. That sucked when I was back on Dust and wanted to look around and see if I could get more salvage.

All and all I would say it's a good game to get to see where the story goes and I'm glad it's not a clone of RFG, but I do miss wandering around and choosing when I wanted to advance the story.