Red Faction: Armageddon - Megathread - Out Now!

Jan 29, 2009
rf_logo_header.jpg

THQ will be shining the light on their new Red Faction title slightly sooner than expected; previously though to be an E3 reveal, the new game will instead be unveiled later this month, CEO Brian Farrell said today.

While discussing creating launch demand for all their future core titles on the company’s earnings call today, the executive said that we should see what he means later this month.

“I think you’ll see that in spades,” Farrell said. “You’ll see it in the way we unveil [the next Red Faction] later this month.”

Details on the title are still scarce, though Farrel did add that it builds on one of the weaker points of last year’s Red Faction: Guerrilla — the storyline.

“Red Faction’s always been a technological showpiece, and we wanted to add production values in terms of story and environment this year. And when you see the new Red Faction, it’s just a much more appealing game universe.”

--
Red Faction Armageddon is the follow-up to last year's surprise hit, Guerilla. Those hoping for more free-wheeling action under a Martian sky may be in for a rude shock.

The game's instead gone underground, having made a sharp turn at Survival Horror Boulevard. Sweeping vistas are being swapped out for underground chambers, and while this may seem a regression from Guerilla's open-world mayhem, remember that a large portion of that game's "world" were actually inaccessible corridors.

<div style="width: 480px;">
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" id="gtembed" width="480" height="392">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" />
<param name="movie" value="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=100960"/>
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<embed src="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=100960" swLiveConnect="true" name="gtembed" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="true" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="392"></embed>
</object>

500x_0347a0d239bc2eea820677a96aa38f58.jpg

500x_89c3612c709cb30ee1e12563a18ed3e0.jpg

500x_90774adbb4475b820201723596c94ad1.jpg

500x_c17f223a2d133a595eb017556befeb73.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I didnt know this part, Cali you are a godsend! Whooo! However, the details of the game are not that scarce as I already know that in this new RFG you will go back underground like that of previous Red Faction games prior to "Guerrilla"

And it will still be at E3 but nice to know we will see more before then.

Actually I didnt know this part, Cali you are a godsend! Whooo! However, the details of the game are not that scarce as I already know that in this new RFG you will go back underground like that of previous Red Faction games prior to "Guerrilla"

And it will still be at E3 but nice to know we will see more before then.

When and where is E3?

Red Faction: Armageddon details to be revealed on tommorow's GTTV

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=249376

The next Red Faction game - which looks to be subtitled 'Armageddon' - will be revealed tomorrow.

That's according to a trailer for the latest episode of GTTV in the States, which promises Red Faction will feature in tomorrow's show.

Pretty much bugger all is known about the new game so far, apart from comments made earlier this year by VP of Core Games, Danny Bilson, who confirmed to CVG that the next Faction will be released this year and said that "it's different from the last one but similar."

He said: "It's sort of a combo of the old one and the new one, so it's... I don't want my marketing guy to be pissed at me for giving away too much, but it goes back underground and it's really cool."

Bilson also claimed that the next instalment is set to have "insane upgrades". We'll be the judge of that, Mr. B.

You can also expect to see a Red Faction TV movie on satellite channel, SyFy this year.

I'll pick it up months later when its on sale

:hilarious:

I actually think Wreck will hate this. Sounds like they are going away from Open World Gameplay and going back to the first Red Faction style, which is what I want. Sounds like a FPS back in the underground!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=249376

The next Red Faction game - which looks to be subtitled 'Armageddon' - will be revealed tomorrow.
That's according to a trailer for the latest episode of GTTV in the States, which promises Red Faction will feature in tomorrow's show.

Pretty much bugger all is known about the new game so far, apart from comments made earlier this year by VP of Core Games, Danny Bilson, who confirmed to CVG that the next Faction will be released this year and said that "it's different from the last one but similar."

He said: "It's sort of a combo of the old one and the new one, so it's... I don't want my marketing guy to be pissed at me for giving away too much, but it goes back underground and it's really cool."

Bilson also claimed that the next instalment is set to have "insane upgrades". We'll be the judge of that, Mr. B.

You can also expect to see a Red Faction TV movie on satellite channel, SyFy this year.

:( my internet gets shut off tomorrow for this big move ... I may miss the reveal :(

Red Faction Armageddon will take place half a century after the Martian revolution of Red Faction: Guerrilla putting players in the shoes of the grandson of Alec Mason and Samanya, THQ revealed this morning.

Here's the official publisher synopsis of the story:

When the massive Terraformer that supplies Mars with its Earth-like air and weather is destroyed, the atmosphere turns to chaos, super-tornados and lightning storms engulf the planet. To survive, the Colonists flee to the underground mines and build a network of habitable caves.
Five years later, Darius Mason, grandson of Martian Revolution heroes Alec Mason and Samanya, runs a lucrative business from Bastion, underground hub of Colonist activity. Mining, scavenging, mercenary work—if the job is dangerous, Darius is your man. Few sane people now venture to the ravaged surface, aside from contractors like Darius and the smugglers who run goods between the settlements.
When Darius is tricked into reopening a mysterious shaft in an old Marauder temple, he releases a long-dormant evil and unleashes Armageddon on Mars. As Colonist and Marauder settlements are torn asunder, only Darius and the Red Faction can save mankind. The battle will take them across the storm-blasted planet... and below it, to the very heart of the unspeakable threat.
The game will, as was revealed last night, take place underground this time around with players fighting to free colonists from alien cocoons, reclaim cultist fortifications on the surface of the planet and hunting for artifacts to create alien weapons.

One of the big new weapons of the game will be an evolved Nano Forge, which can unleash blasts, "tremblers" and "rhino charges". Of course that also means the game will have full-on destruction again, the best part of Guerrilla.

Finally, THQ says that their game will include a new extermination mode that has four players teaming up online to take on never ending tides of attackers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Red Faction: Armageddon officially announced for March 2011

With E3 just days away, we are hearing more and more games getting the official reveal. Today you can add THQ’s official announcement of Red Faction: Armageddon to the growing list of games.

The game is currently in development at THQ’s internal studio Volition, and is slated for release on PlayStation 3 in March 2011. Players are put in the shoes of Darius Mason, as he fights to save humanity from an ever greater evil that threatens to extinguish all life on the planet.

Look for “never-before-seen physics-based weaponry that redefines gameplay in the shooter genre,” and both a single-player campaign and multiplayer co-operative modes.