Region Free Blu-ray Players (World Wide List)

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Post models/tips here for multi-region players.

Models for Purchase in the US

OPPO BDP-103-Link -requires kit to make region free.

SONY BDP-S1100 Link

Models for Purchase in the UK

Last edited by a moderator:
Well for most folks, I would recommend importing or purchasing the one available at Best Buy. I bought it, its only $89. Darczap and myself both have the same one.

$89 is actually a very good price. But £300, that's close to $500, way too much in my opinion.
I wonder if Best Buy Canada has the same model... I'll go check and tell you later.

Can someone check the Voltage on this, whilst I have a 45w USA to UK Converter (it'll take one of your strange little 2-pin plugs in other words :D ), could I chop the molded 110v 2-pin off and wire in one our 240v 3-pin plugs ?

I definatly need a region free blu ray player how much would customs be if u imported from USA to uk?

I think you are right, I just checked my model # on front and it said "NS-BRDVD4" and thats what this one says.

I wonder why its a refurb. Hopefully they did not disable the remote hack.

With the disc tray out you hit 9-1-1-3. Then an option pops up in the wheel disc menu on screen "Configure Player" and then you select that then choose your region (A,B, or C)

Note: When Dar got his, that is all he had to do to make the hack work. When I got mine, that didnt work for some reason, so I went into regular options and put "Reset to default settings" then I tried the remote hack and its worked ever since!

This player has netflix and some other sreaming capabilities, but I personally do not connect this player to the internet. I play most my BDs via PS3 unless region B/C where I use this one. I dont want this player to do any firmware updates if there are any, as that is how I've read where companies have fixed flawed machines like this before.

I think you are right, I just checked my model # on front and it said "NS-BRDVD4" and thats what this one says.

I wonder why its a refurb. Hopefully they did not disable the remote hack.

With the disc tray out you hit 9-1-1-3. Then an option pops up in the wheel disc menu on screen "Configure Player" and then you select that then choose your region (A,B, or C)

Note: When Dar got his, that is all he had to do to make the hack work. When I got mine, that didnt work for some reason, so I went into regular options and put "Reset to default settings" then I tried the remote hack and its worked ever since!

This player has netflix and some other sreaming capabilities, but I personally do not connect this player to the internet. I play most my BDs via PS3 unless region B/C where I use this one. I dont want this player to do any firmware updates if there are any, as that is how I've read where companies have fixed flawed machines like this before.

BB may have disabled it. If not, I may get another at that price for a back up. I don't connect mine to the net either. The specs on my player are not changing one bit. As a matter of fact, I only use this player for steelbooks that are locked. Everything else gets play time on my Sony BDSP 360 or PS3.

Not all players are created equal especially when it comes to performance. You get what you pay for most times.

Upconverting & region free was the main consideration when I decided to upgrade from my PS3 a couple of years ago. If your library still has a lot of DVD's that haven't been released in Blu-ray yet; like mine, then a nice upconverting player is essential. It amazes me how much people spend on their film libraries but how little on the equipment to play & listen to it.

Do some research on the processor that player's use & decide from there.
Qdeo - Realta - Reon

What about RS232, Audio formats, & Outputs? I find there's a lot of things to consider before considering price, no use buying a cheap player if it doesn't perform like i'd want. Avsforum is a good place to get informed.

Oppo makes two of the best players on the market. I did have a stand alone DVDO (video processor) that handled this, but I was able to do away with it once I saw the Oppo's performance.

Converting their players is a 5min operation by simply replacing the ribbon cable. A kit can be purchased for around $35 through various stores online.

great thread, thx wreck :)

well, if BB disable the multi region capability, then i'm **** :hilarious:
maybe i'm gonna buy regular B region player instead, if it's more cheap. So i'll play the A reg on my PS3, and the B reg on B reg player, bingo :D

as far as i know, there was no reg C Blu-ray disc stand-alone, aite? Always combine it with B and/or A. or am i wrong?

Not all players are created equal especially when it comes to performance. You get what you pay for most times.

Upconverting & region free was the main consideration when I decided to upgrade from my PS3 a couple of years ago. If your library still has a lot of DVD's that haven't been released in Blu-ray yet; like mine, then a nice upconverting player is essential. It amazes me how much people spend on their film libraries but how little on the equipment to play & listen to it.

Do some research on the processor that player's use & decide from there.
Qdeo - Realta - Reon

What about RS232, Audio formats, & Outputs? I find there's a lot of things to consider before considering price, no use buying a cheap player if it doesn't perform like i'd want. Avsforum is a good place to get informed.

Oppo makes two of the best players on the market. I did have a stand alone DVDO (video processor) that handled this, but I was able to do away with it once I saw the Oppo's performance.

Converting their players is a 5min operation by simply replacing the ribbon cable. A kit can be purchased for around $35 through various stores online.

I have an oppo in main room, they are great. I'm happy tho with the Insignia in terms of playing the few discs that are region locked.

i own two chinese made budget blu ray players bought from a european based chain store called aldi which will be familiar to our european members they are called Tevion 1100UKT after reading good reviews about the machines on the AVM forums, initially it's a uk spec region 2/B but with a simple remote code imput it becomes region free for both i've had them around 18 months now with no problems the only slight negative is that they are a little noisey loading up but for the price i paid £45 each i can live with that :D

There are plenty of choices now for the region free bluray player.

1) Panasonic BDT110/210/310 (Need to pay)
2) Toshiba BDX-1200/3200 BDX1100/3100 (Free firmware, I have them)
3) Phillip BD3000 Using remote with a modded firmware (I have it as well)

These are tried and tested especially the Toshiba player, I bought a UK version and tested to be working quite well. Free firmware. If any of you guys need any info, drop me a PM.

I've got a multiregion Panasonic BD30, which I picked up 2nd hand from other forums. I can definitely vouch for the quality of Panasonic's players (I used to work in the custom install industry).

I played it in my BR player which is region B and then in my PC which I changed the region to A and it played both times guy's if thats any help. :cool:

Related to this I have a Quick question: is there a program to change the region unlimited times? And is there a good program for watching blus on the PC?

I use a Vision-Quest 1000 I got in 2008. It's similiar to the Sherwood series. I could't live without my region-free player. The UK have so many great titles that are not available/compatible in North American players