Schindler's List (Possible Blu-ray SteelBook) (Manta Lab Exclusive No.?) [Hong Kong]

Would you purchase this steelbook?

• Total voters

Aniv

Premium Supporter
Jan 6, 2015
Release date: TBA
Purchase link: TBA
Price: TBA

SchindlersList-banner.jpg

This movie is very close to my heart and I had been waiting for an exclusive premium editions since forever.

What do you guys think about this title? Maybe 2 editions.

The HDN Groupbuy if it happens will have exclusive extras.

As a bonus I will be hosting a contest for the best steelbook design. Template that can be used https://www.hidefninja.com/communit...teelbook-art-photoshop-templates-tutorial.11/ or feel free to use any template you like.

Let's give @Noodles something to think about.

A free copy #111 will be provided to the winning design if its selected for use. Must use approved art work (no fan art) and use HDN steelbook design template.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, does anyone else find this film incredibly hard to watch? I've only seen it once because the realness of it effected me so much... such a sad/depressing film. :(
Yep, first time I tried to watch it when I was a lot younger I couldn't stomach it, so to speak. I watched it fully when it was remastered a few years back, once is enough for me

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
It was filmed in black and white on purpose for good reasons.

Do you not watch films that are black and white ?
Some of the best films of all time are black and white.

If you don't watch films that are filmed in black and white you are missing out on some amazing films.
No, I do not. In the early days it was purely a technical limitation. Not anymore.
Call me strange...I simply don’t like to watch it (did also not watch Logan Noir). And as I said in another post, other movies can do it in color, so why not this one?

No, I do not. In the early days it was purely a technical limitation. Not anymore.
Call me strange...I simply don’t like to watch it (did also not watch Logan Noir). And as I said in another post, other movies can do it in color, so why not this one?
Fair enough. You are entitled to your opinion as is everyone.

I kind of half agree with you. For example I don't bother watching black and white editions of movies that are already in colour (eg: Mad Max Fury Road, Logan Noir, The Mist etc...)

However if a film is purposefully released in b&w (I don't believe in this 'How the director intended you to see it' after the fact!) like Sin City for example, then I will watch it.

Original Night Of The Living Dead is still a classic or Carnival of Souls.......

Reactions: paulboland
By the way, does anyone else find this film incredibly hard to watch? I've only seen it once because the realness of it effected me so much... such a sad/depressing film. :(
I love it. Really, there has never been a film like this. And only Spielberg could have done it.
It has all the seriousness and gravity of its subject....and yet it moves like a blockbuster. A singular achievement.

You are entitled to your opinion, of course - But, you are missing out on hundreds of amazing movies by placing that limitation on yourself.

Didn't realise how limited the official art for this film is until now... I imagine most/all entries will pretty much look the same lol. Also makes me wonder what they're going to use for slip - maybe they're allowed to come up with original designs for those?

Reactions: zesty
I know it’s an artistic choice, but other movies can capture it fine in color. Movies like Saving Private Ryan, Dunkirk and Der Untergang.

Edit: Hacksaw Ridge as well.
There are things you can do in black and white that you cannot do in color. (The vice versa is true too).
B&W is not an absense of color. It is a completely different canvas.
Is oil painting inherently better than charcol, Watercolor or acrylic? Is sculpting better than painting because it is three dimensional?
Is Ballet better than an opera or a pop song?
No - they are different mediums and styles that bring different things to the table that the other cannot.

I know it’s an artistic choice, but other movies can capture it fine in color. Movies like Saving Private Ryan, Dunkirk and Der Untergang.

Edit: Hacksaw Ridge as well.
All the films you mention are about war. Schindler's List is not about war, it's about genocide.
My .02, I enjoyed all of those, some more, some less, but Schindler's List is a better movie than all of those put together.

Reactions: paulboland
All the films you mention are about war. Schindler's List is not about war, it's about genocide.
My .02, I enjoyed all of those, some more, some less, but Schindler's List is a better movie than all of those put together.
I'm also not saying it's a bad movie (although this is always subjective, and that also means you find it a better movie than the others).
Anyway, I just gave the reason why I don't like to watch it (and won't).

It's not something we have to agree on :)

I'm also not saying it's a bad movie (although this is always subjective, and that also means you find it a better movie than the others).
Anyway, I just gave the reason why I don't like to watch it (and won't).
It's not something we have to agree on :)
Oh, of course not! I was just saying, the tone of the movie is much different to those others.
I fully support your right to buy this potential Manta release, whether you plan on watching it or not :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

How would color make it a better movie?

My gif was the politest response I could find to what I considered to be a trolling comment as no lover of film can simply dismiss half a century of cinema just because the films are not in colour and thus not true to life or "real".
I still can't believe that anyone could write such a thing unless they were under the influence of some mind-altering substance.

As a fan of B&W films from the early shorts courtesy Chaplin, Keaton and Laurel & Hardy (et al) via classic gangster and horror pics from the '30s and '40s through film noir in the '50s and beyond to more modern classics such as the original NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD and CARNIVAL OF SOULS there's clearly a whole world of B&W films that are appreciated by millions.
More modern examples such as AMERICAN HISTORY X, FRANKENWEENIE, RAGING BULL, and SUTURE - among others - are worth a look too ;)

Oh, of course not! I was just saying, the tone of the movie is much different to those others.
I fully support your right to buy this potential Manta release, whether you plan on watching it or not :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:
I really like the idea of the contest for steelbook art.
That I am definitely going to support. So 1 click it is!

Didn't realise how limited the official art for this film is until now... I imagine most/all entries will pretty much look the same lol. Also makes me wonder what they're going to use for slip - maybe they're allowed to come up with original designs for those?
Sheesh, that's so true. They have literally NEVER USED ANYTHING EXCEPT THOSE BLASTED HANDS!!! hahaha Whoever does a steelbook mockup of the hands on the front and the girl on the back will automatically win the prize. :)

Sheesh, that's so true. They have literally NEVER USED ANYTHING EXCEPT THOSE BLASTED HANDS!!! hahaha Whoever does a steelbook mockup of the hands on the front and the girl on the back will automatically win the prize. :)
I'm not sharing #111

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Seriously though, for a premium release the studio is going to have to be more lenient with the artwork or it's just not going to work.

Ok, here's my concept/hope, which I know probably isn't even possible. But after scrolling through pages and pages of exactly the same poster, I had to do something different.

It's an interesting story that at the time of the film's production, the legendary Saul Bass really, really wanted to do the poster for the film. He submitted a couple of concepts, but the studio turned them down in favor of Tom Martin's now-ubiquitous design. I'm a big fan of Saul Bass, so I wanted to use his concept for a steelbook, even though I don't think it's his best design, nor is it probably the best choice to represent the movie. But it certainly is a different look, and would maybe catch people's attention more than the other image at this point. What's the point of a steelbook that looks exactly like every single other release of this film ever (including the upcoming UHD Club 4K premium edition)? Presumably the studio has the rights to this image, if they wanted to use it, but I don't know for sure.

Front cover: title and "A Film by Steven Spielberg" would be embossed. Back cover: I overlaid a scan I found online of the typewritten list prop from the movie (again, I assume this is something the studio could use on a release). I tried all sorts of other things (a quote, the little girl, totally blank...), but couldn't find anything that worked very well with the front cover image. Oh--and the white borders will actually be white, not greyish-metallic. ;)

The slipcover would have a lenticular black-and-white still from the film, because I've always wanted a premium lenticular in black and white.

SL Bass concept sm.jpg

I just hope they don't resort to something "pop-arty" because of the lack of official imagery :ohno:. The classic/iconic hand image looks fine to me for the steelbook, with maybe a movie still of Neeson & Kingsley on the front slip? Nazis raiding the ghetto as inside art? There's a few interesting possibilities with imagery already in the film.

But to have waited this long only to end up with some minimalist crap.... well let's just say I won't be responsible for my actions...

Came across these online, not sure if the second is official and no time to research. Good luck to our photoshopers.

MOV_d0f9778d_b.jpg
schindlers-list.jpg

Reactions: Suspi