Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: August 3, 2020
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order on May 21, around 9 AM for Red Carpet , at 12 PM general sale - UK time)
Price: £29.99
Note: 3 discs

12584863-1924769381743461.jpg

12584863-1244769382074100.jpg 12584863-1434769381918943.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to see how limited the stock actually was. I bet that's just a scheduled post for X amount of hours after release.
Or even if they’re just trying to create artificial panic to get people to pre order who were possibly on the fence.

Wouldnt put it past Zavvi - they’re happy to reply to general enquiries on Twitter, and are being blissfully ignorant on the feedback for this steelbook. Says it all.

It's funny how things change and we put things into perspective.

Like when I got into Steelbooks, I bought things right, left and centre, thinking these films would never get another Steelbook (I know hilarious right) or if they did it would be a long time before another release (still funny...I know) but now I'm just super picky. It's kind of the silver lining to all this because looking back on A New Hope two things bother me 1) The logo is the generic bland new Disney Star Wars logo, not the original unique font they used and 2) The back is, like you said, just a picture. I would have preferred the teaser posters on the back or it blending more with the front image. I wasn't bothered as much as I thought this is the closest we're going to get and all of them will match...but obviously, not now.

I look back on the dozens of steelbooks I bought and think "what the f*** were you thinking"
It's good to have high standards, but when do you think this planetary alignment will take place for one single steelbook to be perfect?
Not even counting on the whole saga being perfect.

Reactions: Robsonmonkey
Or even if they’re just trying to create artificial panic to get people to pre order who were possibly on the fence.

Wouldnt put it past Zavvi - they’re happy to reply to general enquiries on Twitter, and are being blissfully ignorant on the feedback for this steelbook. Says it all.
The thing is why would they bother replying to all the negative feedback? There is probably sweet FA they can do about the art on the steelbook because it's set by Disney and this'll sell out anyway (and people who are leaving negative reviews on their site have bought it!) so they can just shrug their shoulders knowing that they're getting their cash/sales regardless. Also by replying they're just prolonging the visibility of the negativity...which isn't something they'll want.

Ultimately we're stuck with this steel as is - and it boils down to buy it or don't, Zavvi don't care either way because someone else will inevitably buy it!

Is it proof? Customers have purchased ESB today, they are satisfied (at least enough to buy it), so what customer satisfaction are you referring to? Customer satisfaction of "customers" that didn't buy a copy?
There are masses, and masses of people unhappy with this. There are a lot of people who have pre ordered in the chance the artwork will change, there are people who are buying two copies as they genuinely like the artwork and don’t want to risk a damaged copy, and there are people who are buying in the hope they’ll be able to sell for an inflated price on eBay.

The overwhelming consensus on social media, and on here, is that people don’t like the design.

Reactions: Leafs17
The thing is why would they bother replying to all the negative feedback? There is probably sweet FA they can do about the art on the steelbook because it's set by Disney and this'll sell out anyway (and people who are leaving negative reviews on their site have bought it!) so they can just shrug their shoulders knowing that they're getting their cash/sales regardless. Also by replying they're just prolonging the visibility of the negativity...which isn't something they'll want.

Ultimately we're stuck with this steel as is - and it boils down to buy it or don't, Zavvi don't care either way!

Have you read the reviews? Many have said they'll cancel if it doesn't change. I've ordered too but I'll cancel the lot if this doesn't change.. I makes the whole wave useless to me.

All Zavvi have to do is be honest. If it's too late to change then tell us.. if they're trying then tell us. Of course Zavvi care, public perception has a direct correlation with consumer spending. If this doesn't sell out they'll have to sell at a discount which will generate less revenue. If it sells out regardless then it's another black mark against Zavvi and there are many who do all they can to avoid buying from them already

Reactions: hoppusdelonge

Ultimately we're stuck with this steel as is - and it boils down to buy it or don't, Zavvi don't care either way because someone else will inevitably buy it!
Personally, regardless of the artwork, it is decent politeness not to ignore the many, many messages on Twitter in relation to this. It screams rudeness to me, regardless of the fact Zavvi are ultimately just the retailers.

Replying to general enquires on Twitter and ignoring all the complaints in regards to this artwork shows how little Zavvi really care to me, and it gives an entirely negative image of them in relation to what they think of a lot of their customers.

It's good to have high standards, but when do you think this planetary alignment will take place for one single steelbook to be perfect?
Not even counting on the whole saga being perfect.

I think the issue for me is that the posters for these films are so iconic that we should have had steelbooks of them years ago, but we ended up with below average steelbooks where the classic poster artwork was put on the back, and even then it wasn't in its original form.

You have places like this where everyday users share epic fan concepts which are always better than what's officially announced.

It just seems like stupidity because people like Zavvi or Disney, whoever you want to blame, SOMEONE is paying a person to create lacklustre steelbook art while another perso is being paid to sign them off. Who the f*** are these people? I don't think I've ever came across someone on here or other places online where they've said "Oh hey guys, I'm such a big fan of this community, I was an artist for steelbook X, Y and Z most people seem to love" or "Being someone who's in this field and done steelbook art, this is the process on how we do things". Then you have the lack of community interaction when someone like Zavvi had an account on here, yet hardly said a word, I mean we have a poll system for threads, why can't some company use it and give people the choice on the art. The whole thing is just made to look like a pipe dream that we all wish COULD happen but really it isn't.

Planetary alignment for this sort of stuff should not be hard, it shouldn't be rocket science, it should be a fairly straight forward process where the paying consumer comes out with something he's mostly happy with but when you get such silly mistakes like epic poster artwork for this film, a crappy floating disco head for the second film and then back to the epic original poster art for the last film, I mean it's mind boggling. It's a huge franchise, be smart with it.

Last edited:
It will sell out, people will cancel, others will then buy. None of this matters in the long run honestly.
Not to Zavvi, of course not. But in instances like this, Zavvi’s blatant disregard to all the questions being asked speaks absolute volumes. They literally couldn’t give a damn less about all the negativity.

Reactions: Loony_Tic
Have you read the reviews? Many have said they'll cancel if it doesn't change. I've ordered too but I'll cancel the lot if this doesn't change.. I makes the whole wave useless to me.

All Zavvi have to do is be honest. If it's too late to change then tell us.. if they're trying then tell us. Of course Zavvi care, public perception has a direct correlation with consumer spending. If this doesn't sell out they'll have to sell at a discount which will generate less revenue. If it sells out regardless then it's another black mark against Zavvi and there are many who do all they can to avoid buying from them already
You're right - but from experience Zavvi (and a lot of other retailers) don't really work on the principle of honesty or even good customer services. Public perception does have direct correlation to consumer spending but the problem is a lot of the negative feedback they're getting is from people who are still pre-ordering the steel book...which makes it all a bit of joke. If people do end up cancelling if they don't change the artwork then all well and good but I'd be very surprised if they aren't snapped up by someone else purely because people will want to collect the whole set (and it's Star Wars).

There are masses, and masses of people unhappy with this. There are a lot of people who have pre ordered in the chance the artwork will change, there are people who are buying two copies as they genuinely like the artwork and don’t want to risk a damaged copy, and there are people who are buying in the hope they’ll be able to sell for an inflated price on eBay.

The overwhelming consensus on social media, and on here, is that people don’t like the design.
Right... but even with all that, there will be 3500 happy (enough) customers. The ones that don't buy it aren't strictly customers, so their satisfaction or lack thereof is irrelevant.

The Mandalorian I have spoken.gif

They are telling you. You just don't want to listen.
It's done.

Buy or do not, there is no I'll buy but cancel if they don't do as I hope.
So you’re essentially advocating the ignorant approach from their team on this one?

I mean, common politeness and not being ignorant goes a long way...

Not to Zavvi, of course not. But in instances like this, Zavvi’s blatant disregard to all the questions being asked speaks absolute volumes. They literally couldn’t give a damn less about all the negativity.
You are correct they dont really care, nor do I expect them to in this case. We all want better art but I doubt that Disney is going to change it. Makes no difference to Zavvi because they will get their money either way.