11216153-1764371078453306.jpg 11216153-5174371078496032.jpg

How to get 10% off:
1) Add it to your basket by CLICK HERE
2) Click here to activate the offer
3) Go back to your basket and apply discount code ZAVWEL54 into your basket
4) Voià! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe this debate is still going on. :banghead:

Titleless steelbooks are part of the steelbook market whether you like them or not.

It's not Zavvis doing, it's a cost containing way for Disney (and other studios) to shift masses of steelbooks in bulk in Europe without having to print the titles in different languages .

I dont see anyone bashing Zavvi in the 5th Wave thread as it's not a Zavvi exclusive??!!

I can't believe this debate is still going on. :banghead:

Titleless steelbooks are part of the steelbook market whether you like them or not.

It's not Zavvis doing, it's a cost containing way for Disney (and other studios) to shift masses of steelbooks in bulk in Europe without having to print the titles in different languages .

I dont see anyone bashing Zavvi in the 5th Wave thread as it's not a Zavvi exclusive??!!

You're missing the point.

No one is debating that zavvi deal with Disney Europe, that lack it titles is Zavvi's fault, or the logistics of production.

There are two issues here that can be changed:

1. The continual posting of stunning 'preliminary' artwork with titles that collectors are sold on when they preorder, which is then totally changed to a worse artwork with no titles later on, often a week before release.

Absolutely no excuse for that. No final artwork available? Fine. Don't post any.

It ain't rocket science. Just put 'artwork coming soon'.

That way they avoid the risk - as happens virtually every single time, of total uproar when what collectors are given something which in no way captures the premium idea they were sold on when they preordered.

Sure, it says 'may not be final artwork', and yes, no one 'has' to preorder. But this hobby is a f#^%+% at the best of times, where steels are made in a limited number and sell out very quickly.

No collector wants to miss out on their favourite movie in steel form, so they whack up a stunning image of what it will likely look like and we jump on it. Only to reveal a drab titleless final art later.

Long story short - don't post artwork. Anyone wanting to preorder without seeing has the option to do so. They know marvel and Disney will continually pull this crap with the placeholder art supplied, why allow it to continue when you know it riles up customers.

2. Zavvi could look into the printing of P.ET slips.

Again, it ain't rocket science. Other retailers do it all the time. They cost pennies.

When zavvi can licence exclusive steel books to them only worldwide, in limited print runs of 2-3000 and sell those for 14.99 then there's absolutely no reason why, when selling a steelbook printed in immense bulk for £24.99, they can't get a P.ET slip printed for their uk store exclusive.

It would cost next to nothing per unit, but heck, add a quid on if that's what it takes.

J cards have to be printed for the uk release anyway, they require titles, artwork and approvals anyway, what difference does it make if you ditch the j card and pay a couple of pence more for a P.ET slip with a title on.

It's just about caring about the final product.

Last edited:
it's a cost containing way for Disney (and other studios) to shift masses of steelbooks in bulk in Europe without having to print the titles in different languages .

its sad that something advertised as limited is actually mass produced to the extent that it negatively effects the design choices.

while maintaining the top premium price.

title-less steels aren't ''part of the steelbook market, whether we like it or not'', as you assert. we decide what is acceptable or not by voting with our wallets.

You're missing the point.

No one is debating that zavvi deal with Disney Europe, that lack it titles is Zavvi's fault, or the logistics of production.

There are two issues here that can be changed:

1. The continual posting of stunning 'preliminary' artwork with titles that collectors are sold on when they preorder, which is then totally changed to a worse artwork with no titles later on, often a week before release.

Absolutely no excuse for that. No final artwork available? Fine. Don't post any.

It ain't rocket science. Just put 'artwork coming soon'.

That way they avoid the risk - as happens virtually every single time, of total uproar when what collectors are given something which in no way captures the premium idea they were sold on when they preordered.

Sure, it says 'may not be final artwork', and yes, no one 'has' to preorder. But this hobby is a f#^%+% at the best of times, where steels are made in a limited number and sell out very quickly.

No collector wants to miss out on their favourite movie in steel form, so they whack up a stunning image of what it will likely look like and we jump on it. Only to reveal a drab titleless final art later.

Long story short - don't post artwork. Anyone wanting to preorder without seeing has the option to do so. They know marvel and Disney will continually pull this crap with the placeholder art supplied, why allow it to continue when you know it riles up customers.

2. Zavvi could look into the printing of P.ET slips.

Again, it ain't rocket science. Other retailers do it all the time. They cost pennies.

When zavvi can licence exclusive steel books to them only worldwide, in limited print runs of 2-3000 and sell those for 14.99 then there's absolutely no reason why, when selling a steelbook printed in immense bulk for £24.99, they can't get a P.ET slip printed for their uk store exclusive.

It would cost next to nothing per unit, but heck, add a quid on if that's what it takes.

J cards have to be printed for the uk release anyway, they require titles, artwork and approvals anyway, what difference does it make if you ditch the j card and pay a couple of pence more for a P.ET slip with a title on.

It's just about caring about the final product.
I just think most of us are around long enough now to know the story.

My take on it is simple :

Put in a preorder (if it's a film I really want)

Artwork gets changed? No problem, if it's really cool, awesome! If it's not, still no problem, I just cancel my preorder if I'm not satisfied.

This is the way it's been since I started collecting about 5 years ago. I don't know why people start acting so surprised when it does happen.

And in fairness 9 times out of 10 the artworks seldom get changed. You'd think people would realise it happens from time to time and then move on.

It's really not as dramatic as some make out. At least not for me anyway.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: paulboland
title-less steels aren't ''part of the steelbook market, whether we like it or not'', as you assert. we decide what is acceptable or not by voting with our wallets.

Which is my point. What is yours?

Just cancel your order then if your not happy like I said. If they're not part of the steelbook market, why are you complaining about them then? That's just hypocritical!

Reactions: Obi Wan Dandobi
I just think most of us are around long enough now to know the story.

My take on it is simple :

Put in a preorder (if it's a film I really want)

Artwork gets changed? No problem, if it's really cool, awesome! If it's not, still no problem, I just cancel my preorder if I'm not satisfied.

This is the way it's been since I started collecting about 5 years ago. I don't know why people start acting so surprised when it does happen.

And in fairness 9 times out of 10 the artworks seldom get changed. You'd think people would realise it happens from time to time and then move on.

It's really not as dramatic as some make out. At least not for me anyway.

Oh I did cancel. That's not the point, sorry, I know you're not meaning to be difficult, but to bat away anyone's frustration or upset 'because it doesn't bother you' isn't really helping the situation.

If it doesn't bother you, great, but no need to belittle anyone else's feelings on it, critisizing people for being upset isn't really worth much is it.

It boils down to one simple human element, which is, when you dangle something in front of someone that they really want, get their anticipation built, convince them to preorder it and pay for it, and then wait months to have it...

snatchinf what they expected to be getting away from them at the last minute and offering something far inferior is gonna p*** them off.

It's that simple.

Telling people to cancel and shut up about it doesn't really offer anything constructive to the situation, complain though I have, I have at least tried to offer objective and constructive ideas for what zavvi can do to resolve the situation within the confines of operating with Disney Europe.

Batting people's feelings and concerns away just leads to them quitting collecting, which isn't really good for the overall health of an ever shrinking collectors community anyway, it all boils down to money at the end of the day, less collectors = less money = let's not bother doing steelbooks.

Oh I did cancel. That's not the point, sorry, I know you're not meaning to be difficult, but to bat away anyone's frustration or upset 'because it doesn't bother you' isn't really helping the situation.

If it doesn't bother you, great, but no need to belittle anyone else's feelings on it, critisizing people for being upset isn't really worth much is it.

It boils down to one simple human element, which is, when you dangle something in front of someone that they really want, get their anticipation built, convince them to preorder it and pay for it, and then wait months to have it...

snatchinf what they expected to be getting away from them at the last minute and offering something far inferior is gonna p*** them off.

It's that simple.

Telling people to cancel and shut up about it doesn't really offer anything constructive to the situation, complain though I have, I have at least tried to offer objective and constructive ideas for what zavvi can do to resolve the situation within the confines of operating with Disney Europe.

Batting people's feelings and concerns away just leads to them quitting collecting, which isn't really good for the overall health of an ever shrinking collectors community anyway, it all boils down to money at the end of the day, less collectors = less money = let's not bother doing steelbooks.
My final post on this as we're flogging a dead horse:

Nobody 'dangled' anything in front of you.

You went ahead (of your own free will) and preordered something that you knew full well that the design/artwork wasn't finalised. When it didn't suit your taste you're blaming everything but yourself.

And I really didn't 'belittle' anybody. I certainly never once told anyone to shut up.

Last edited:
Which is my point. What is yours?

Just cancel your order then if your not happy like I said. If they're not part of the steelbook market, why are you complaining about them then? That's just hypocritical!
i thought my point was quite clear, people complain because that is how you bring about change. hence the numerous bad reviews on zavvi and people being vocal here. and if that doesnt work- vote with your wallet.

you absolve zavvi of all responsibility, but one would think it would be in zavvi's interest to at least listen to their customers complaints. ie, not censor their reviews which actually offer valuable customer feedback.

but hey, we are powerless and should just accept whatever we are given, right?

Reactions: steelbobawny
Steelbooks probably wouldn't be where they are today (without blu banners along the top and printed info on the back) if it wasn't for us "complaining" - it's all feedback at the end of the day and everyone's obviously free to express their opinion. :)

Perhaps it would be better to air frustration at Disney. It's really not something that people should be getting so upset over.

But therein lies the problem.

While others in the past have taken complaints on board, and changed designs, dropped banners etc. Disney have never acted upon feedback other than dropping DVDs from Blu-ray packages while not then dropping the price accordingly. If DVDs were still included in steelbooks, you'd at least have it as an option and could take it out if a 3D disc wasn't included.

They know collectors don't like title-less spines, and fortunately for the US they get them, but for the rest of the world it's 'put up or shut up'. They're too big an organisation to care about a few vocal minorities. To top it all off, the title-less steelbooks still sell out so no point has ever been proved. I regret I buy them. I wouldn't if the US versions were easier to get. If there was a US version of Zavvi who charged comparable prices and $1 for shipping I'd get them (unless the cost was printed on the box as the customs charge would be around £15 with handling fee). I just can't justify that cost.

I wish Disney would just print the titles on steelbooks in English. A lot of countries have English steelbooks even when it's not their first language and seem to be able to cope okay, but I can't see Disney ever following suit.

While others in the past have taken complaints on board, and changed designs, dropped banners etc. Disney have never acted upon feedback other than dropping DVDs from Blu-ray packages while not then dropping the price accordingly. If DVDs were still included in steelbooks, you'd at least have it as an option and could take it out if a 3D disc wasn't included.

They know collectors don't like title-less spines, and fortunately for the US they get them, but for the rest of the world it's 'put up or shut up'. They're too big an organisation to care about a few vocal minorities. To top it all off, the title-less steelbooks still sell out so no point has ever been proved. I regret I buy them. I wouldn't if the US versions were easier to get. If there was a US version of Zavvi who charged comparable prices and $1 for shipping I'd get them (unless the cost was printed on the box as the customs charge would be around £15 with handling fee). I just can't justify that cost.

I wish Disney would just print the titles on steelbooks in English. A lot of countries have English steelbooks even when it's not their first language and seem to be able to cope okay, but I can't see Disney ever following suit.

I see your point but at the end of the day it's their product, people either buy it or they don't. Obviously people have been buying them. I don't particularly like it, but it is what it is.

Steelbooks probably wouldn't be where they are today (without blu banners along the top and printed info on the back) if it wasn't for us "complaining" - it's all feedback at the end of the day and everyone's obviously free to express their opinion. :)

Exactly, without customer feedback we would still have blu banners, printed ratings, no inside artwork and awful printed backs, as collectors we managed to influence these changes. Now I do see the advantage of Disney making tens of thousands of the same steelbook and then dividing them up between the European countries, it makes sensible business sense, BUT if they don't put the title on the steelbook for this reason, how much trouble is it to make country specific spines? It can't be that hard, at least no harder than producing country specific j cards... Then that would at least be a halfway compromise. Surely with zavvi being the self appointed home of steelbooks they could negotiate this?

My guess is its in their core business practice. They have a model where (with many titles) they release as MANY as they can at initial release. Then don't reprint ... then say its in the vault. Then do a minor change and pump it up like "Coming out of the vault" for the first time in 3/5/7/10 years ... FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY .... ie. We got our first release in your hands at the most marginal business sense for us and now we're going to capitalize on your nostalgic heartfelt love for our heart touching movie. :)

marginal business sense, equals easiest , equals more units sold. bigger profit. The Big D