SP-2.jpg

SP-3.jpg

SP-4.jpg

SP-5.jpg

SP-6.jpg

COMICON2011_124.jpg

COMICON2011_126.jpg
Update 11/2/2011 SOLD OUT
Update 11/1/2011 per e-mail sent by WB-thanks apsmith21.
View attachment 4696

Last edited by a moderator:
Current questions about the steel...

1) Was production limited to 900?

2) How many copies were sold at the Gentle Giants Studios booth at Comic-Con?

3) Is the artwork for the steelbook exclusive by contract, or is the artwork available for use with potential subsequent steel releases?

ap-is that the right link? Both of those sold for $70's-Basic mentions one that hit $200?

There were 3 prior auctions for this steel by the same seller with a BIN price. The first two sold for $75. The last one which RobertJoseph got sold for $79. I emailed the seller asking if he had another and he sold me his last one for the same price. His was the first to hit Ebay on July 22nd. The only difference between the current auction and the 3 previous ones, is the current seller is including the t-shirt.

Thanks for sharing the info, Basic

You are welcome, Babe.

If any of the "insider" mods could help answer some of the questions I posed, I believe it would be a big help in helping potential buyers make an educated consumer decision.

As it stands now, this steelbook is a crap shoot. If it is truly limited to 900 and the artwork is exclusive etc., that is a great thing for the hobby and us collectors, in my opinion. I like rare. I like unique. If the production number is much higher and the artwork is not exclusive, that means there is a good possibility we will see this same design in G2 size. And those who bid on current and future auctions take the risk of having their "rare" want steel plummet to unique but ordinary.

If one waits for corroboration until one attempts to get the steel, they may miss the proverbial collector boat. If one dives in now, one might grossly overpay for something that might be forthcoming later on this year.

A tough decision to make.

You are welcome, Babe.

If any of the "insider" mods could help answer some of the questions I posed, I believe it would be a big help in helping potential buyers make an educated consumer decision.

As it stands now, this steelbook is a crap shoot. If it is truly limited to 900 and the artwork is exclusive etc., that is a great thing for the hobby and us collectors, in my opinion. I like rare. I like unique. If the production number is much higher and the artwork is not exclusive, that means there is a good possibility we will see this same design in G2 size. And those who bid on current and future auctions take the risk of having their "rare" want steel plummet to unique but ordinary.

If one waits for corroboration until one attempts to get the steel, they may miss the proverbial collector boat. If one dives in now, one might grossly overpay for something that might be forthcoming later on this year.

A tough decision to make.

Hey Basic-

If additional info becomes available, it will be posted, if appropriate, and as given permission by the various decision makers involved in this process.

The Steelbook (and any "collectors" item) game has always been highly speculative. Each person has to decide the relative "worth", to them, at any given time. There is usually not a way to know in advance if art will appear in another country later on, or whether other qty will be released. I think each person has their own "dial" of what makes them pounce, wait, etc-as with most things there is no "formula" for this. To those that are interested in this item-happy huntin!:) :oohyeah:

Last edited:
Hey Basic-

If additional info becomes available, it will be posted, if appropriate, and as given permission by the various decision makers involved in this process.

The Steelbook (and any "collectors" item) game has always been highly speculative. Each person has to decide the relative "worth", to them, at any given time. There is usually not a way to know in advance if art will appear in another country later on, or whether other qty will be released. I think each person has their own dial of what makes them pounce, wait, etc-as with most things there is no "formula" for this. To those that are interested in this item-happy huntin!:) :oohyeah:

True. The seller is looking tall profit wise. I bet he is one happy camper. Will be interesting to see what future auctions will look like, and whether they will go the BIN route, or start the auction(s) higher than this gent did. He started his at $59.99 It has only been about 12hrs since he listed, if I remember right.

I have emailed several Comic-Con sellers on Ebay, hoping to find some that had copies even if they weren't listed. No dice thus far.

Basic, it's possible the person listing the item didn't even realize the community that may respond to the item at a higher price. The item was not even listed as a genuine "Steelbook" which can make a huge difference in the sea of items advertised incorrectly on Ebay.

Maybe after they both sold, he/she perhaps found threads on the net discussing the item, or just wanted to do a quick flip. Even if limited to 900, I am not sure there were 900 "Steelbook collectors" that wanted the item for themselves, at Comic Con. So even if they all sold, there are still 900 copies somewhere, owned by people, that may float out eventually. I am guessing this may be the last we see in the $80 price range...at least for a little while. But again, it's all based on conjecture at this point...each person will have their own take.

DB

It may be a good idea to check local comic book shops to see if any shop owners brought this back with them from SDCC. I may stop by a couple.

Reactions: BasicGreatGuy
http://cgi.ebay.com/Suckerpunch-4-d...?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item4aad385add
This one is. I do not understand why people are bidding so early on.. What's the use?

1) Sometimes bidding early and often can stave off other buyers who might be contenders.

2) If one waits to the end to put in a bid, one might fall flat on his or her face, from being so far off, even though the actual sell price was within their range.

Granted, the above tactics are limited as to viability. But, sometimes I have used them at various times with success. I don't do it often. There are times when I will test the pockets of other bidders, when I am after an item I want.

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

It may be a good idea to check local comic book shops to see if any shop owners brought this back with them from SDCC. I may stop by a couple.

Great idea!

Reactions: Glaurung
If you read the description of the item he states he has two copies - perhaps he wants to keep the other for himself, but given the price this will reach ($400+ is my prediction ;)) maybe he'll sell that too...

...have to say this is SO out of my league it's nice (in a way) not to be thinking 'how do I get one!' for a change.

Good Luck to everyone in the hunt! :)

i wish I knew that was going to be at Comic Con, my brother was there for something totally unrelated (he's an author), I could've had him snag one!

I would die for one of those....loved the movie, and heard the Max Movie Mode is awesome, a la Watchmen.

Doesnt ship international for some reason, and I cant contact him to exempt me to bid and ship to a USA address

---------- Post added at 09:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

1) Sometimes bidding early and often can stave off other buyers who might be contenders.

2) If one waits to the end to put in a bid, one might fall flat on his or her face, from being so far off, even though the actual sell price was within their range.

Granted, the above tactics are limited as to viability. But, sometimes I have used them at various times with success. I don't do it often. There are times when I will test the pockets of other bidders, when I am after an item I want.

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

Great idea!

For this one I put in an early bid of $81 just to test it. Bet he wishes he bought 100 copies now.

Doesnt ship international for some reason, and I cant contact him to exempt me to bid and ship to a USA address

---------- Post added at 09:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

For this one I put in an early bid of $81 just to test it. Bet he wishes he bought 100 copies now.

I bet he does. lol Good luck to you with it. Bidding is already over $102.00, last I checked.