The Big Blue (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) (WEA) [UK]

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Release date: March 16, 2015
Purchase link: Zavvi (Live Tues 3/3 12pm GMT)
Price: £16.99
Notes: Limited to 2000 and WEA (Worldwide Exclusive Art).

01.jpg

00.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it was Luc Besson's first English language film so it does make sense to use the English title for this release. I prefer Le Grande Bleu personally as does everyone else but IIRC they have never used the French title on the UK or American releases of the film

Everywhere else though it's know as LGB.

They should consider releasing Atlantis next. That will supplement it perfectly

Last edited:
Can everyone stop copying everyone else and release some great films that deserve a steel and don't have one yet?

Hell, we all went through the IMDB top 250 a week ago picking out amazing films with no steelbook release, and yet this is now on its 3rd... Give me a break.

Zero (expletive deleted)s given

Can everyone stop copying everyone else and release some great films that deserve a steel and don't have one yet?

Hell, we all went through the IMDB top 250 a week ago picking out amazing films with no steelbook release, and yet this is now on its 3rd... Give me a break.

This has never had a UK/Ireland Steelbook Release

Zavvi Releases are primarily towards the UK/Ireland Market
They gain with import orders yes from steelbook collectors who live abroad

The Asia Release was way to expensive and lot of collectors who don't import or cant afford to so would like this release

I also want a Lawrence of Arabia UK Steelbook for the same reasons

The Asia Release was way to expensive and lot of collectors who don't import or cant afford to so would like this release

Even though I have the kimchi Lenticular, I'm such a huge fan of this film (check out my profile album) that I'm really need to pre-order this ASAP

And yes of the Lawrence of Arabia steelbook. Preferably with the additional bonus disc that appeared in the deluxe boxset

Reactions: paulboland

I get that, I do... But there are way, way better films that have no steelbook... Or no UK steelbook... LoA being one of those. I just would like to see retailers taking a bit more initiative.

Reactions: paulboland

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1

I'm beginning to think steelbook retailers are like film studios - they'd rather fund endless rehashes sequels and remakes over new material because they are basically gutless, and don't have the character or confidence to take a chance on anything original and unproven.

They are also driven primarily by $$$$$$$$$$$ and reprints of the most infamous titles is a means of easy short term profit. :movie:

ofc things CAN change for the better :thumbs: vote with your wallet and support new, 1st time releases while turning your back on HDN peer-pressure to buy the same film 300 times over :ugh:

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1

I'm beginning to think steelbook retailers are like film studios - they'd rather fund endless rehashes sequels and remakes over new material because they are basically gutless, and don't have the character or confidence to take a chance on anything original and unproven.

They are also driven primarily by $$$$$$$$$$$ and reprints of the most infamous titles is a means of easy short term profit. :movie:

ofc things CAN change for the better :thumbs: vote with your wallet and support new, 1st time releases while turning your back on HDN peer-pressure to buy the same film 300 times over :ugh:

This will be First time UK Steelbook Release
If you don't want it because you already have an Asia Import Version
Remember there are a lot of collectors who don't have a Big Blue Steelbook

Some people import from Asia
I don't and I'm not alone as others don't also
For me Asia Steelbook Prices are nuts and I will never pay those prices

Just because you or others may have imported a title does not mean it should not be released in another country

Zavvi The Big Blue Steelbook is not a Re-Print show me the previous Zavvi Steelbook version or any UK Big Blue Blu-ray Steelbook I don't remember seeing one :p

You don't have to purchase this but remember others will want to get this
If you don't want it because you have the kimchi Lenticular that's not a UK Release and yes its nice but its only available if you import it and pay crazy amount of money

I want this any many other releases but pay a reasonable price not €50-€80 (Some prices are over €100 with lowest price been EUR €54.67) and that's before any postage costs Crazy Prices NUTS

€18.99 or €22.99 is a big difference to €80.00

Zavvi The Big Blue Steelbook Worldwide Exclusive Art
This will still sell out when released due to been limited to 2000

Last edited:
There are people that don't import from Asia? EEK!

Just kidding Paul but your collection is missing some excellent steels as a result.

There are people that don't import from Asia? EEK!

Just kidding Paul but your collection is missing some excellent steels as a result.

Yes some of them are very nice but there way to expensive

Some will not want a UK Steelbook Release of The Big Blue for reasons I wont go into (Ebay Sellers selling the kimchi Lenticular don't want Zavvi release to happen)

I collect lot of Blu-ray Films of which a lot are Steelbooks but I will not pay any price above €50.00 ever no matter how much I like the look of it
Except Box Sets with brilliant Film Extras on Blu-ray I have paid in the Past over €50.00 but none of them were Steelbooks
Even if I was a Multi Millionaire I would not pay those prices ( I wish I was a Multi Millionaire :hilarious:)

I collect Films to Watch and like Steelbooks
I watch the Films I don't keep any sealed
I don't collect for financial reasons as I don't sell or trade any of my Film Collection and that includes my DVD Collection which is bigger than some Video Shops

Why pay €50.00/€80.00 or over €100.00 for a Blu-ray Film when you can get another similar Steelbook release for €15.00 to €25.00

Last edited:
Reactions: justboy
Yes some of them are very nice but there way to expensive

Some will not want a UK Steelbook Release of The Big Blue for reasons I wont go into (Ebay Sellers selling the kimchi Lenticular don't want Zavvi release to happen)

I collect lot of Blu-ray Films of which a lot are Steelbooks but I will not pay any price above €50.00 ever no matter how much I like the look of it
Except Box Sets with brilliant Film Extras on Blu-ray I have paid in the Past over €50.00 but none of them were Steelbooks
Even if I was a Multi Millionaire I would not pay those prices ( I wish I was a Multi Millionaire :hilarious:)

I collect Films to Watch and like Steelbooks
I watch the Films I don't keep any sealed
I don't collect for financial reasons as I don't sell or trade any of my Film Collection and that includes my DVD Collection which is bigger than some Video Shops

Why pay €50.00/€80.00 or over €100.00 for a Blu-ray Film when you can get another similar Steelbook release for €15.00 to €25.00

I appreciate your view and I often feel the same way myself in regards to pricing. The reality is that you are in a minority (on this forum at least) as someone who avoids ordering from abroad. For those who are happy to collect foreign releases, seeing the same titles being released time and again is annoying. It has nothing to do with money for me (I can't speak for others of course), I don't have a trade thread full of sealed spares or an eBay store with loads of rare titles. It's just nice to have a bit of variety.

A more recent issue for me though is copying, retailers seem to be taking note of what is popular elsewhere and releasing their own versions. I think that applies to this release. Would Zavvi release this one if not for the success of the previous two editions? In my opinion, the answer to that question is no.

Reactions: zoneism
Cashing in on the back of kimchi methinks. That did well and is fairly fresh in people's minds and zavvi top it of with WEA and it's bound to be a sell out.

I'm getting the feeling that just about any movie you can think if is going to get a steelbook release because that is where the money is at the moment.