Which Universal Pictures movie would you like to see from Titans of Cult?

Mar 23, 2021
Hi everyone.

I work for Universal Pictures Home Entertainment and I'm just looking at a title listing for our 2022 Titans of Cult releases. What titles would you most love to see on Titans of Cult from our Catalogue?

Thought starters: Jaws / Gladiator / Spartacus / The Thing / Scarface / Jurassic Park

Very keen to get your thoughts though and create something you guys want! Tagging a few of you to get the thread active :) @Noodles / @IRON MAN / @Flloydo /

Brazil is Fox release in UK and other International countries now with Disney

USA was Universal release but not in UK

Already has a steelbook release from Fox in 2014

A film cinema distribution not always the same in every country
Home media releases can also have different distribution rights to cinema distribution with some films
Oh, Disney.. I have no idea about who has the rights to what or not. But If Disney does not give me a 15th anniversary 4k HDR version of Sunshine (2007) I will never forgive

Oh, Disney.. I have no idea about who has the rights to what or not. But If Disney does not give me a 15th anniversary 4k HDR version of Sunshine (2007) I will never forgive
Disney have been doing very little 4K UHD releases of Fox back catalouge
Disney+ (Star) instead in regards to Fox films

New films from 20th Century Studios have been getting 4K UHD releases

Brazil though not on Disney+ at the moment

I guess Brazil is a cult film? It does not matter to me if it's a cult film or if it has fancy packaging. The event of the new disc and upgraded image quality should be the main pupose of a new release.
Yes, it very much is.
In regards to the rest, this thread is exactly about 'fancy packaging', for people to buy that packaging of a movie they paid for already 3-7 times... :D

Yes, it very much is.
In regards to the rest, this thread is exactly about 'fancy packaging', for people to buy that packaging of a movie they paid for already 3-7 times... :D

Lol that’s low for some people on here

I think I have something like 20 unique versions of Dark Knight

Don’t even ask @Wreck about his basterds collection…ha

Hah, yes, you're right, I, too, have maybe 15 editions of it, and Blade Runner, The Fifth Element, a dozen of The Matrix, etc. But those are exceptions, and I was trying to be realistic, going by overall average.
If one is collecting as long, as me, or at least from the DVD days, they'll have at least 3 releases of most titles.

Inglorious Basterds Idk GIF

Yes, it very much is.
I am not going to lie and claim that I'm not a sucker for shiny things myself.. And I would love to see collector's edition of all these films but the companies should focus on digitaly archiving whatever they have in their hands. This is better for both online streaming and physical media. Focusing on package of old releases with the same restoration should not be slowing down the task of saving these films for future generations to see in the best quality.

Reactions: Lenny Nero
I am not going to lie and claim that I'm not a sucker for shiny things myself.. And I would love to see collector's edition of all these films but the companies should focus on digitaly archiving whatever they have in their hands. This is better for both online streaming and physical media. Focusing on package of old releases with the same restoration should not be slowing down the task of saving these films for future generations to see in the best quality.
I agree, they should concentrate on bringing more titles to at least HD, than re-releasing same handful of films 20 times. I'd always rather buy something new, or upgraded, than the same movie, of course.

@tommyh84 @CleverLoginName @Behold @steelmybeatingheart @Hereticz @Nova @Mokum @samdavies

Again no idea if you collect these but just tagging peeps
thanks for the tag. :thumbs:

@SBCollector88, welcome to the forum. :) good question, and great to have outreach from a studio like this, even if informally. :thumbs: hope you stick with us on the forum. :)

got to be honest, i only own one Titans of Cult edition, and i won that here in a competition - V For Vendetta. i thought it was the best design and package you've done. i quite liked the design of the first one, Blade Runner, but have not liked many others. it's good that you have tried to do something different with most of the editions, i just haven't personally gone for the designs.

agree with @ethnosax and others, older films that have not had good or any steel releases would fit your name much better, and serve an under-represented slice of the market. it's not like Universal doesn't have a deep box of titles to go to in this area. whether you can make enough money off films like that to make the line viable is a question i am sure you've discussed in house.

some lovely ideas above. here are my ideas for Universal releases without any steels, or no good ones (appreciate none of these will likely get done): :watch:
- All Quiet On The Western Front
- Harvey (could come with a little rabbit!)
- Bend of the River
ok, those are all ‘classic’ films, so…
- the classic monster films would have been perfect for this range, but they’ve been done too much, now, by Universal already.
- This Island Earth (now this would be a ‘titan’ of cult films)
- The Andromeda Strain
- Silent Running
- Buck Rogers in the 25th Century
- Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid
- Repo Man
- Fast Times at Ridgemont High
- The Breakfast Club
(just give us the poster art on a steel!)
- The Dark Crystal
- Darkman
- Twister
- Dante’s Peak
- Children of Men
- R.I.P.D. (no-one else is ever going to release a steel for it, so…)

plus, props to @Behold for mentioning one of my all time favourite animations (seriously), 9. not had a steel, though i do own the beautiful edition which is basicallly a book with the disc on the last page. :drool:

things you didn't ask, but since we're talking about the retail line: one thing i would say is that you do use too much obvious plastic. i'd much rather have a thicker paper-based slip with goodies inside than a see-through plastic one with a load of dead, wasted space. it's just nicer in-hand. having said that, FAC XLs and blufans news OABs are just a bit too big, so there's that issue for size.

and i know this post is already over-long, and talking about the name has been overdone already, but 'Titans of Cult' just doesn't work for me as a name, especially considering some of the films you've chosen. if i get where you were going with the name, and based on the releases to date, i would have gone with (ideas of the top of my head) Church of Blu, BluFaith, Devotion, ClanFilms, that sort of thing. i don't think any company/line should call itself a 'Titan,' that's an opinion for fans (although i do have a friend who has referred to himself in the past as 'The Legend,' so... :LOL:).

Last edited:
1. Improve QC meaning change the very easy to damage plastic slipcover with super sharp edges. Add more things inside e.g. proper booklet or cards. Make sure that all inside is packed that way so pin or whatever is in side damages steelbook. Also plastic packaging is so sharp that it ruined and scratched my steels couple of times.
2. Better design on steelbooks, Some are brilliant but lately majority is 15 minutes on LSD art. I understand that you are trying to follow "minimalistic" design but it can be 20x better.
3. Titles... well I have all versions of the Thing and I would like to have another one (if u do, please include prequel disc too). Guys already mentioned about other titles and yes it would be much easier if you send as 30-50 titles list that are your priority and that have 4k or will have 4k UHD transfer and then people can vote.
4. If something is limited, let us know the quantity - would be cool to have it numbered too. Instead you decide to repress some old titles and eventually you will end up with a lot of unsold stock like it started to happen recently.
5. Please listen to feedback from this forum and from other as here are the people who are addicted to buy steelbooks and collectibles.

plus, props to @Behold for mentioning one of my all time favourite animations (seriously), 9. not had a steel, though i do own the beautiful edition which is basicallly a book with the disc on the last page. :drool:

9 is such an unsung hero in the animation category. It’s beautiful, terrifying and so heartfelt.

I too have the BD landscape book with the sleeve, and would LOVE to replace it with a gorgeous steel. It epitomises a “cult” title to me and think ToC could do a really decent job with such an incredible title!

There was a steelbook in Germany about 10 years ago, but it had no clean back, and a general ad for other in the 100th Anniversary Universal series as inside art.

For all the people who want them to use proper full slips...are you willing to pay the higher prices if they do?
Because whether they cost more to produce or not, they will definitely raise the prices.

People don't like the prices now.

Reactions: Noodles
For all the people who want them to use proper full slips...are you willing to pay the higher prices if they do?
Because whether they cost more to produce or not, they will definitely raise the prices.

People don't like the prices now.
People don't like the prices BECAUSE of the flimsy plastic slips - among other reasons that you can mostly find in this thread.