Purchase link: HMV
Price: £29.99 - £19.99 - £14.99
Group Buy: Hosted by cooey HERE

01-66760.jpg

03-66760.jpg
02-66760.jpg

01-66760.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing is though, there appears to be more duds than ones that excel. At least using poster art would solve the constant worry of something awful being the final version.

This is especially true when it comes to Marvel movies, and indeed most franchises. You only have to look at the MCU steelbooks. Even if someone likes the inaccurate Walkman on GotG, the SD card design of Ant-Man or the brush metal and ink splodge of Black Panther, there's just no consistency. They don't look like part of a unified franchise. The forthcoming Infinity War is different from The Avengers and Age of Ultron. Sure, most of the MCU theatrical posters are the main character(s) surrounded by floating heads, but they scream 'latest Marvel movie'.

In regards to Deadpool 2, personally I think this design looks rubbish. It looks cheap and lazy, and doesn't match either of the UK steelbooks for the first movie.

It may be an unpopular opinion, but I like poster art on steelbooks, much like they're used on Amarays. If it's good enough to have lit up in the cinema as a way of encouraging you to part with your money (which is the point of a poster) then it's good enough to put on a steelbook which is going to cost £25 or more in general. Basically, what looks better...

The Force Awakens poster or Kylo Ren's mask?
Keanu Reeves and an exploding bus or a speedometer?
The Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom logo or a line drawing of a dinosaur?

It's personal preference and that takes the top spot over everything. No one person can comment on why another collects steelbooks unless you live in their mind. If you prefer unique designs over 'the norm' then great because there are unique designs out there. If you prefer poster art over something a bit different then great because those are out there too.
I personally like to see a variety and we all know now there is likely going to be a WWA and a WEA of any film, marvel especially. It's not nonsense to want something different or unique and it doesn't necessarily make you a hoarder if you only collect for certain reasons.
Everybody is different in their reasons and approach to steelbook collecting and thank god we all are otherwise it would be one hell of a struggle to obtain anything if we all wanted the same thing time and time again and could afford to do so.

Personally I think breaking away from poster art and doing something different for a steelbook is good. It's refreshing and it could be tripe to some but great to others. That being said, the absolute best offerings I have seen are coming from Blufans. The art might be poster art but they clearly know their craft in steelbook creating when you look at the end result. People forget that they don't have unlimited options available to them in what they can put out. I like the variety of artwork across the board. You know what else? Unless it's a boxset then I don't like opening them either. Do I still get enjoyment out of what I can see (plus others videos, photos etc)... of course.

Thank god that one company puts out WWA and another puts out WEA and then maybe another has its own WEA too. What is wrong with that? You have more options to take it or leave it.

• Thanks
Reactions: ChrisIW
there's no denying that steelbook collecting is 100% not what it was 8+ years ago. they're over exposed, market's over saturated and steelbooks as a medium have lost their prestige. Reading your comments the impression i get is that this fact has turned you from a collector to a hoarder.

What i find peculilar about this community, is that you're all obsessed with premium slipcovers & premium finishes. Yet aren't obsessed with premium artwork. All happy to see default poster on the cover. Kinda missing the point of steelbooks. EVERYTHING about a steelbook should be premium, but they aren't that's why they tend to lose their luster. it's no coincidence that the percentage of steelbooks with default poster art is higher than it was when blu ray steelbook collecting was at it's peak. where vitual every release was a must own for the right reasons.

if you need to ask that you truly are a hoarder :p in all seriousness. People like to own steelbooks (or any fancy packaged edition) because they want something unique and special for the films/games/tv shows that are special to them. that'll be why alot of the guys on here got into collecting these in the first place.(at least that was the case back in the day)

The best steelbooks don't just appeal to collectors or to someone looking to make a quick buck. they appeal to anyone who's a fan of the film in question. A perfect example of a truly great steelbook is the jumanji one. it doesn't use the default poster. it doesn't slap a film still on the back and inside. they were creative and original with the design, making the front inside and back the board game from the film. that's one of those steelbooks that a tonne of non collectors would own. they'd take one look at it and think "wow that's awesome" it's the kind of thing that can turn someone into a steelbook collector.

if you'd had your way it would have just been the default poster art. with a screen grab for the back art and inside art. that's not going to make anyone want to collect steelbooks.

If it's a choice between having steelbook designs that excel with duds getting made too, or every steelbook is average and nothing more I'd rather put up with the duds.

Once again there is so much wrong with this I don't know where to start. I think the single biggest issue here is people's obsession with having art that must be different to what is on the amaray. Why? This is something I really don't understand.

An interesting observation here is that you automatically consider every steelbook that uses the poster art to be "average", regardless of the actual quality of the poster or it's suitability for the movie. I don't get it - if it's good art it's good art regardless if it's already used on the poster and/or amaray. It's still nicer to have a steelbook in hand than a cheap piece of plastic so there's still plenty of incentive to buy steelbooks over amarays with the same art.

Conversely art that is a little more conceptual, to put it kindly, isn't automatically great just because it hasn't been used before. The fact that they don't use this sort of art on amaray boxes says to me that that they know it will only appeal to a a niche target audience. Unfortunately us steelbook collectors are a fickle bunch and we've brought this bad art crisis on ourselves by demanding something different just for the sake of it.

Also, why do you keep calling me a hoarder? A hoarder is someone that keeps collecting stuff regardless of whether they need it or like it. I'm pretty much doing the opposite by refusing to buy junk like this!

I’m getting this steelbook because:
1. I love Deadpool
2. This steel is being released locally
3. Any steel book is still better than a non slipped amaray

But, let’s all be honest here. This artwork is

0A9D62F8-3756-4A24-9B46-132BA1142A5E.gif

Reactions: ChrisPatt
That looks complete luxury compared to this DP2 monstrosity.:drool:

And yet you're still buying this :rofl:. Seriously mate, I'm sure there will be other versions (there's already the FA version) so if you absolutely must have DP2 in steelbook form I think you'll be ok. But buying this version even when you don't like it only helps ensure we get more of the same in future.

Hello, first time poster here. I've been enjoying collecting steelbooks for about 7-8 years and have been reading this forum for a few months' now. It seems like there is a really good community here and it's really nice knowing that there are others who find this type of collecting a bit of fun and are willing to help each other out, with some healthy debates thrown in for good measure.

Seems strange though that I have finally decided to message now that my enjoyment of collecting has diminished somewhat. This DP2 steelbook is a good example of why. I really like the original DP1 Zavvi steel, good artwork without needing to be poster art, embossed title, and gloss. DP2 though, I'm just not a fan of personally, so I can't justify spending £30 to have something in my collection that I just don't like. If you do like it then that's fine, everyone has different tastes.

After the disappointment of GOTG2 despite it's nice finish (which is still in stock I believe) I felt I had to curb my hobby (addiction) as it were. So I have just stopped buying steelbooks that I don't like the artwork for, even if it means not having a full set (Marvel & X-Men movies in particular). Why own something I don't like.

These are just some of the steelbooks I have passed on in the last year or so, or will be passing on, that I would otherwise have bought if the artwork had been more to my liking. There's few hundred pounds saved here.

DP2 HMV
Ready Player One
Pacific Rim Uprising HMV
Logan HMV
Black Panther Zavvi
Kingsman: The Golden Circle HMV
Justice League HMV
Atomic Blonde HMV
Jason Bourne
Deepwater Horizon
The Commuter Zavvi
Vertigo Zavvi

For me, I dislike these steelbooks so much, I am willing to wait and pick the movie up on amaray (yeah I said it) once they are around the £5 mark... maybe (after a while I tend to lose that impulse to buy).

As for poster art versus unique designs, I think Dazzler_31117 sums it up nicely. I personally don't mind whether the artwork is poster art of something a little different, as long as I like it. For example, I prefer the HMV Captain America TFA shield design to the second Zavvi poster art steelbook. For the first Avengers, I much prefer the Zavvi lenticular poster art than the original HMV glossed "A" (even though that's still quite nice as well). I've never bought a Blufans steelbook because they are a bit more than I am willing to pay but admittedly they do look pretty awesome (maybe I'm just a tight fisted old Scrooge).

As a collector, I really enjoy the feeling when a new release steelbook drops through the door, unwrapping it, and watching the movie at the first available opportunity. That feeling diminishes when I receive something I don't like and paid £20-25 for the privilege. There's no point in me shouting abuse at the studios for their choices because it's totally up to me to be more selective and only buy the steelbooks that I feel are worth it.

That's just how I feel anyway.

Hello, first time poster here. I've been enjoying collecting steelbooks for about 7-8 years and have been reading this forum for a few months' now. It seems like there is a really good community here and it's really nice knowing that there are others who find this type of collecting a bit of fun and are willing to help each other out, with some healthy debates thrown in for good measure.

Seems strange though that I have finally decided to message now that my enjoyment of collecting has diminished somewhat. This DP2 steelbook is a good example of why. I really like the original DP1 Zavvi steel, good artwork without needing to be poster art, embossed title, and gloss. DP2 though, I'm just not a fan of personally, so I can't justify spending £30 to have something in my collection that I just don't like. If you do like it then that's fine, everyone has different tastes.

After the disappointment of GOTG2 despite it's nice finish (which is still in stock I believe) I felt I had to curb my hobby (addiction) as it were. So I have just stopped buying steelbooks that I don't like the artwork for, even if it means not having a full set (Marvel & X-Men movies in particular). Why own something I don't like.

These are just some of the steelbooks I have passed on in the last year or so, or will be passing on, that I would otherwise have bought if the artwork had been more to my liking. There's few hundred pounds saved here.

DP2 HMV
Ready Player One
Pacific Rim Uprising HMV
Logan HMV
Black Panther Zavvi
Kingsman: The Golden Circle HMV
Justice League HMV
Atomic Blonde HMV
Jason Bourne
Deepwater Horizon
The Commuter Zavvi
Vertigo Zavvi

For me, I dislike these steelbooks so much, I am willing to wait and pick the movie up on amaray (yeah I said it) once they are around the £5 mark... maybe (after a while I tend to lose that impulse to buy).

As for poster art versus unique designs, I think Dazzler_31117 sums it up nicely. I personally don't mind whether the artwork is poster art of something a little different, as long as I like it. For example, I prefer the HMV Captain America TFA shield design to the second Zavvi poster art steelbook. For the first Avengers, I much prefer the Zavvi lenticular poster art than the original HMV glossed "A" (even though that's still quite nice as well). I've never bought a Blufans steelbook because they are a bit more than I am willing to pay but admittedly they do look pretty awesome (maybe I'm just a tight fisted old Scrooge).

As a collector, I really enjoy the feeling when a new release steelbook drops through the door, unwrapping it, and watching the movie at the first available opportunity. That feeling diminishes when I receive something I don't like and paid £20-25 for the privilege. There's no point in me shouting abuse at the studios for their choices because it's totally up to me to be more selective and only buy the steelbooks that I feel are worth it.

That's just how I feel anyway.

Very sensible. Perhaps for those steelbooks you pass on, or have passed on, that you intended to buy anyway you can now put that money towards a much nicer premium edition i.e. Blufans, Kimchi etc? Although we have yet to see the artwork, Deadpool 2 Manta Lab could be a perfect example. If you are saving on not buying DP2 HMV and say PR: Uprising HMV then you could spend that money on a much more stunning Deadpool 2 Manta version. It's only an assumption that it will it look stunning of course but you've got a choice of slips, a WEA steelbook and some really nice finishes for each one (again, an assumption) but more importantly an edition you will be happy with.

Reactions: IamIroningMan
Studios spend millions on marketing their films and so rarely get the promotional art wrong. You get art which fits the film because the success does almost solely rely on the art being received well.

But the same doesn't seem to be true of the home media releases, it's almost as if they have passionless amateurs working on the designs

• Thanks
Reactions: IamIroningMan
It's so tempting to go for Blufans, Kimchi, Manta etc... Looking at the threads for them I almost wish I didn't find this forum. They seem to be putting together some really nice packages but I know if I buy one, I will only want these going forward and I just can't do this to my wallet. I have to quit smoking by not starting in the first place so to speak. Must... Stay... Strong...

Studios spend millions on marketing their films and so rarely get the promotional art wrong. You get art which fits the film because the success does almost solely rely on the art being received well.

This is why I find it strange that so many people seem horrified by the prospect of poster/promotional art on steelbooks, after all that is the imagery that has cost huge amounts of time and money to produce to get it right. But the average steelbook collector goes "Boo hoo sob sob they've already used that art on the amaray, I want something different, even if it looks shite...".

But the same doesn't seem to be true of the home media releases, it's almost as if they have passionless amateurs working on the designs

I assume you're referring to steelbooks specifically as most amaray art does use the promotional art. The problem here is that the steelbook market is a drop in the ocean financially speaking, so why would they get their best people on it with any sort of budget to create something excellent when they can just get some talentless prick to knock out a bit of minimalist pop art in half an hour?

This video by GoodBadFlicks is a bit old so it doesn't include Marvel's totem pole of biggest stars surrounded by everyone with more than 3 minutes screen time looking like they're addicted to Pym Particles, but it perfectly sums up why I dislike most modern poster art.

The front of FA Deadpool 2 works for me as it feels like a spoof of MCU posters.

Thank god that one company puts out WWA and another puts out WEA and then maybe another has its own WEA too. What is wrong with that? You have more options to take it or leave it.
If the WWA artwork was decent then there would be less reason to spend twice or three times as much on the premium version and I could instead use that cash to buy an even bigger TV or a OPPO player.

This video by GoodBadFlicks is a bit old so it doesn't include Marvel's totem pole of biggest stars surrounded by everyone with more than 3 minutes screen time looking like they're addicted to Pym Particles, but it perfectly sums up why I dislike most modern poster art.

Most of them now just seem to be trying to imitate those godawful Mondo posters that contain every scene of the film drawn in somewhere

Reactions: StifflersDad
This is why I find it strange that so many people seem horrified by the prospect of poster/promotional art on steelbooks, after all that is the imagery that has cost huge amounts of time and money to produce to get it right. But the average steelbook collector goes "Boo hoo sob sob they've already used that art on the amaray, I want something different, even if it looks shite...".

I assume you're referring to steelbooks specifically as most amaray art does use the promotional art. The problem here is that the steelbook market is a drop in the ocean financially speaking, so why would they get their best people on it with any sort of budget to create something excellent when they can just get some talentless prick to knock out a bit of minimalist pop art in half an hour?

Indeed, they either don't care or they are trying to be too clever for their own good. If they researched the market just a little bit, even by reading steelbook forums, they would see the positive responses to people's concept art, and maybe, just maybe, realise that's what most people prefer. As we know it only costs roughly an extra £2-3 of additional manufacturing costs to make a steelbook so considering they put a decent mark up on them, it's worth their while to get it right.

Only when things go drastically wrong for them do they start to see the errors of their ways... sometimes. We all remember the Star Wars TFA debacle. While I don't know the print run for that, I believe they based it on the amount of pre-orders they had which had been confirmed by the time they revealed the artwork so I suspect it was quite high. Most people disliked the artwork and duly cancelled and they were left with a stack of unsold steelbooks that they had to reduce in price. If they had commissioned really good artwork, I reckon their whole print run would have sold out at full price. Disney "seemed" to take this on board and UK started to get titles on the spines again even if the artwork still isn't that great sometimes. They may also be reducing their print runs as a result which they wouldn't have to do if they got the artwork right in the first place.

It will be interesting to see if this DP2 steelbook stays in stock for while or sells out quickly. Personally I don't think Fox care all that much either way. After Logan, WOTPOTA, and Kingsman GC, they are still sticking to their guns.

• Thanks
Reactions: ChrisIW
Yes, let's only have photoshopped poster art on all our steelbooks and steelbook re-releases and forget about using the steelbook canvas for something sometimes really neat and inspired.
How very dare these artists deface our film packaging with their doodling … no welcome mat for Olly Moss, Graham Humphreys, Rick Melton, Twins of Evil, Paul Shipper, Bob Peak, Drew Struzan, Gilles Vranckx, Gary Pullin, Godmachine, Tom Whalen, Dan Mumford, Tom Hodge, Nathanael Marsh, Jay Shaw, Nick Percival, Jeff Zornow etc.

Just imagine the History of Art stopped dead in its tracks at Realism in for example the (exquisite) chocolate-box paintings by Constable and there had been no Turner to inspire the birth of Modern Art from Impressionism to all the "isms" that followed (my favourites being Expressionism and Surrealism).

• Thanks
Reactions: hoppusdelonge