Finding Nemo: Lenticular Edition (2D+3D Blu-ray Steelbook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: February 27, 2017
Purchase link: Finding Nemo (live)
Price: £24.99

IMG_5894.JPG

IMG_5895.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
......undermines confidence in limited editions themselves (that can't be good, surely?) and just makes just makes the game less exciting. For ghose who miss out on limted editions then there is always the options of the plentiful amaray releases, anyway. Lets face it, if your collection is special to you AND is worth more a few years down the line, then thats good think - who WOULDN'T want that. I don't need Zavvi, Arrow, etc messing up the collectability of my beloved Limiteds. Of course, just my opinion.
You seem to be under the mistaken impression that the limited edition item is the movie itself. If you were simply interested in owning the movie, there are lots of ways to obtain the actual movie (like iTunes, VUDU, etc.) but it's the packaging that is "limited" - which includes artwork, special disks and/or booklets. Everybody has a different idea about what is valuable and, therefore, every package appeals to a specific set of collectors. The duplicate copy that you may have purchased several years ago will still have collectible value to those who like the artwork or special features - while others may like the artwork on this steelbook.

Reactions: lgans316
You seem to be under the mistaken impression that the limited edition item is the movie itself. If you were simply interested in owning the movie, there are lots of ways to obtain the actual movie (like iTunes, VUDU, etc.) but it's the packaging that is "limited" - which includes artwork, special disks and/or booklets. Everybody has a different idea about what is valuable and, therefore, every package appeals to a specific set of collectors. The duplicate copy that you may have purchased several years ago will still have collectible value to those who like the artwork or special features - while others may like the artwork on this steelbook.
I can't fault much of what you say, but i wasn't just referring to "limted" regarding just the movies themselves - i AM talking about packaging, content, etc. In regards to steelbooks, for instance, we now have another steelbook limited edition, albeit with lenticular and different artwork, with various Disney films in particular. So the mantle for the first wave of steelbooks, ie "Limited editoon steelbook" is undermined because we now have a 2nd steelbook up for grabs - the key word being " steelbook". Regardless of them adding a lentl and different art it's still another wave of steelbooks of that film, in that country, undermining the term "Limited edition STEELBOOK". I dont have the Nemo steelbook, i dont have the first Zavvi V for vendetta steelbook either, etc, but i understand how people react with, "What? But i thought they released that in a steelbook already?!" Should we get to the point where they keep re-releasing steelbook limiteds, time after time, until they cease to be special? Less collectible? I don't know. BUT what you say is completely true - different people/collectors have a different idea about what is valuable/desirable,/collectible and so appeals to different set of collectors.

Just accept it already that steelbook collecting is getting bigger and more popular by the day.
And so what if X movie already has a steelbook, its not the same art anyway so whats the problem? Just drop the elitism and get over it.

Get over the fact people bought into the first Disney wave because it was bigged up as THE Disney Collection...a collection which was made out to be a full on collection, even some of them were numbered. Now they've stopped it before it was finished and turn around to give up re-releases with lenticular, starting another line.

It's not elitism and there's nothing to "get over". It's about right and wrong with Zavvi being dead in the wrong.

Not very hard to understand why people are angry, upset and very ticked off.

Just accept it already that steelbook collecting is getting bigger and more popular by the day.
And so what if X movie already has a steelbook, its not the same art anyway so whats the problem? Just drop the elitism and get over it.
Haha, elitism - who me? I dont feel like it's eltiism, really - but maybe there is a bit of that involved. And maybe on the part of ALL collectors as well. Are ALL collectors of limted editions elitist - in that they want something that is "Limited"? Limited to who? To those that want something special? Something different? Something rare? Collectible? I'm not a snob, i just don't expect the term "Limited" to be undermined. Look at what happened with Arrow Video's "Hell comes to Frogtown". Limited to 1000 copies? Not anymore. And Arrow actually went on record stating they would never undermine the collectors market ( or words to that effect), that they never re-release limited editions. I inderstand there was a big hoo haa , so they gave in are re-releasing it, but i dont think thats right. I don't have it and don't care for it, and the re-release is a trimmer package, but if you say that that will be your ONLY release of that title, claim it to be limited, and then go back on your word then my advice is this: DON'T PUT IT OUT AS LIMITED.

I've been collecting steelbooks since sweeny todd uk steelbook came out and it seams to me now it's better not to go for the first release of the top titles because a better one always seams to come out later down the line, the best example of this are marvel. First you get a standard steelbook, then you get lenticular, next it will be slipcase then lenticular slipcase, there will be no end to this while people buy.

This is not a re release of the same steelbook :LOL:

It's a different steelbook with different artwork and also includes a lenti and 3D disc
Previous steelbook was 2D only and different artwork

You get limited edition re releases with lots of releases each one different by having less or more content with new artwork this happens regularly with popular films and music releases.
Customers purchasing new releases and updated re releases of a previous release this has been happening long time on various products worldwide for decades.
Some customers will upgrade to newer release and sell or giveaway older release or keep all of them in their collection and you always have new customers first time purchasing that release.

Product releases is supply and demand and limited editions are a safe way of selling out if the product is popular and in high demand and has less risk of not selling compared to if print run to high as in not limited

It's still only 3,000 to 4,000 steelbooks it's not 10,000 or 100,000

This steelbook will end up sold out just as the previous release did both of them will be wanted releases by collectors who missed out on either of them as you get new customers every day of the year who always miss out.

You will see this get replaced in a few years time with another limited edition most likely 4K UHD release or another new format not on the market yet to be released.

VHS/Laserdisc/DVD/Blu-ray/4 K UHD and whatever the next new format will be after 4K UHD most likely will be 8K UHD and so on

I've been collecting steelbooks since sweeny todd uk steelbook came out and it seams to me now it's better not to go for the first release of the top titles because a better one always seams to come out later down the line, the best example of this are marvel. First you get a standard steelbook, then you get lenticular, next it will be slipcase then lenticular slipcase, there will be no end to this while people buy.
Very true, very true. The other day i got "Cap America: Civil War" Zavvi steelbook. I know there's some criticism of that on the forum but i think that sterlbook is awesome - i love the design and the debossing between Cap. and Iron man, and i was really tempted to get a 2nd one. Then i thought, "Well, it's likely to get a lenticular a year or so down the road, so i'll just stick with 1 of the current steelbook and get the lenticular as well when/if it comes around..........if the design is good......maybe. Understand, these Marvel steelbooks set you back around £25 a go - you buy the 1st steelbook, then the 2nd lenticular release......that's £50 right there, maybe more further down the road with other limiteds of the same movie. All those Zavvi Marvel lentls? i just got 1 of each lentl/movie that i like - otherwise you just keep throwing money at this game and for me thats not convenient, particularly with the Marvel franchise which is a money machine on its own. Love my little collection, haven't sold off any of them, But lately, the "Limited" mantle has lost alot of its appeal and credibility, just my opinion though.

• Thanks
Reactions: ghost1
This is not a re release of the same steelbook :LOL:

It's a different steelbook with different artwork and also includes a lenti and 3D disc
Previous steelbook was 2D only and different artwork

You get limited edition re releases with lots of releases each one different by having less or more content with new artwork this happens regularly with popular films and music releases.
Customers purchasing new releases and updated re releases of a previous release this has been happening long time on various products worldwide for decades.
Some customers will upgrade to newer release and sell or giveaway older release or keep all of them in their collection and you always have new customers first time purchasing that release.

Product releases is supply and demand and limited editions are a safe way of selling out if the product is popular and in high demand and has less risk of not selling compared to if print run to high as in not limited

It's still only 3,000 to 4,000 steelbooks it's not 10,000 or 100,000

This steelbook will end up sold out just as the previous release did both of them will be wanted releases by collectors who missed out on either of them as you get new customers every day of the year who always miss out.

You will see this get replaced in a few years time with another limited edition most likely 4K UHD release or another new format not on the market yet to be released.

VHS/Laserdisc/DVD/Blu-ray/4 K UHD and whatever the next new format will be after 4K UHD most likely will be 8K UHD and so on
That's completely right Paul, this one has different artwork, 3d disc and the lentl. So there's onvious differances to ghe previous release. My main contention, so to speak, is with the re-release of previous steelbooks that, for instance, already have both a 3d and 2d disc - but still get a re-release, albeit with new artwork AND lentl, to boot. Yeah, i get it - different people want different artwortvwith a lentl, etc, so strictly speaking you CAN call it a diferent product, as compared to the 1st release. And that's exactly what i think these companies thrive on......and bank on. But they can do that, so of course it's up to the individual collector whether they want to partake. Completely up to them.

• Thanks
Reactions: paulboland
It's an interesting argument about re-releases etc, but I don't think there's a right or wrong view point.
I don't think steelbook is even about collecting anymore. Its just another medium. Its getting to the point where it's rare if a title doesn't have a steelbook.

Steelbooks have always been another medium, an alternative to an Amaray, the only difference been is that they aren't of unlimited print runs.

• Thanks
Reactions: JCC
I don't think steelbook is even about collecting anymore. Its just another medium. Its getting to the point where it's rare if a title doesn't have a steelbook.

Actually, if you look at the US market, only the big blockbuster movies get new steelbook releases...97% of smaller movies don't get steelbook releases. Movies like Steve Jobs, Swiss Army Man, Free State of Jones, The Nice Guys, Midnight Special, Imperium, Green Room, Eddie the Eagle, the list goes on and on....

And even for one of the largest grossing movies of the year, Zootopia, US buyers have to import the steelbook. US collectors have to import the majority of steelbook releases. And due to horrible packaging, you never know if that steelbook will arrive in decent condition. Even Amazon.com rarely seems to get steelbook releases, probably because their packaging stinks too.

But yes, you are right. Steelbooks are a business. Scanavo is in the steelbook business to make money. So is Disney. And Fox. And Warner Brothers. And every other movie company. So if you think they are doing it for the love of movies or solely to provide unique collector's items, you are sorely mistaken.

It's an interesting argument about re-releases etc, but I don't think there's a right or wrong view point.

Steelbooks have always been another medium, an alternative to an Amaray, the only difference been is that they aren't of unlimited print runs.
Yeah that's right. We all have our own views on the matter, our own opinions, etc, so probably no right or wrong, but it's still good to get opinions out there.........literally, to just hear what others have to say about this issue, their feelings on it.

• Thanks
Reactions: lights
It's about right and wrong with Zavvi being dead in the wrong.

Only if you subscribe to that IMO silly collector's mentality. From my perspective as someone who is a collector of Steelbooks (but only from the basic dictionary definition of someone who collects things) I'm glad Zavvi is putting out more Steelbooks for consumers (everyone, not just collectors who want to be the only people in the world to own something) to enjoy.

Not very hard to understand why people are angry, upset and very ticked off.

I certainly understand the reasoning that people are using. I simply find it silly.

Actually, if you look at the US market, only the big blockbuster movies get new steelbook releases...97% of smaller movies don't get steelbook releases. Movies like Steve Jobs, Swiss Army Man, Free State of Jones, The Nice Guys, Midnight Special, Imperium, Green Room, Eddie the Eagle, the list goes on and on....

And even for one of the largest grossing movies of the year, Zootopia, US buyers have to import the steelbook. US collectors have to import the majority of steelbook releases. And due to horrible packaging, you never know if that steelbook will arrive in decent condition. Even Amazon.com rarely seems to get steelbook releases, probably because their packaging stinks too.

But yes, you are right. Steelbooks are a business. Scanavo is in the steelbook business to make money. So is Disney. And Fox. And Warner Brothers. And every other movie company. So if you think they are doing it for the love of movies or solely to provide unique collector's items, you are sorely mistaken.
Exactly. May be an obvious thing to say but there's no way they feel ANY obligation to collectors wants. For one thing, if they did then they'd make alot of the steelbooks better quality than they actually are. Let's face it, it's not that hard to know what steelbook collectors want - just scour the forums.

...if you say that that will be your ONLY release of that title, claim it to be limited, and then go back on your word then my advice is this: DON'T PUT IT OUT AS LIMITED.

Did Zavvi ever expressly state that any of their Steelbook releases would be the only releases ever for all time and eternity? Perhaps importantly, does that even contradict the label of "limited"? Assuming that this new Steelbook will have a markedly different design than the original Steelbook they released, then the original's limited nature is in no way, shape or form diminished by the release of a new version with new artwork: they're two wholly different products.

• Thanks
Reactions: paulboland and dLux