• Full Slip B

• Quarter Slip

• Dual Pack

• Triple Pack

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mar 21, 2013
South Korea
Release date: November 7, 2016
Purchase links: Type A - Type B - Quarter Slip - Dual Pack - Triple Pack - (Pre-order on September 29, 2016)
Price: Type A: $46.89 - Type B: $46.89 - 1/4 Slip: $45.69

Type A: 2,000 copies - Type B: 2,500 copies - 1/4 Slip: 1,000 copies

13938104_929743153836834_5964674825909768059_o.jpgtype a.jpgType B.jpgQuarter slip.jpg
image.png

- The steelbook illustration is by Krzysztof Domaradzki.
- The artwork for the slipbox was used previously for the Oldboy vinyl LP. It was co-ordinated by Nicolas Winding Refn, the director of Drive, and illustrated by Laurent Durieux. The director of Oldboy Park Chan-wook wanted one of our editions to feature this artwork so we reached out to Milan Records and illustrator Laurent Durieux. You'll be able to see more of the artwork since parts of the top and bottom were cropped out for the vinyl LP.

Old mock up
tumblr_odfq0maYYu1t1dcuoo1_1280.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I find a bit sad that most of the people do judge a release on looks and not on content. Not much people seem to care about the effort that are made to offer new and quality extras.
I also read complaints about re-releases and copy paste releases, which is understandable, but on the other hand buyers are kind of responsible for this, if things continue this way the companies will stop investing time and money on creating good content, since most people only care if the title is embossed or debossed...

I find a bit sad that most of the people do judge a release on looks and not on content. Not much people seem to care about the effort that are made to offer new and quality extras.
I also read complaints about re-releases and copy paste releases, which is understandable, but on the other hand buyers are kind of responsible for this, if things continue this way the companies will stop investing time and money on creating good content, since most people only care if the title is embossed or debossed...
You are only partially right. If you care more for the content you can always just get the standard amaray version. If you are getting the steelbook version then looks is just as important as content.

Point taken.

It is merely a matter if scale and proportion. Some folks apear to have lost the sense of both with what is essentially simply a "hobby" as you point out.

People such as Igans and myself are in the upper echelon of Steelbook collecting with something over 1,000 and approaching that resepctively.
At that point in the game you're in pretty clear air and tend to see things with a sharper, perchance cynical eye and perspective which those doe-eyed newbies you mention have yet to acquire. So yes, Iimagine it does appear a little harsh; but it's little more than a "reality check" from a few of the old hands, with no malicious or personal intention . . . .

But yes, there is far too much upleasantness in the world at the moment - I had a totally unwanted and unnecessary run-in with a very stupid, racist and extremely drunken brexiteer only last evening which more than adequately proves the point you are making.

Cheers, and do enjoy NinjaWeek :)
Your response is a perfect example of why this community is so great. Had I posted anything remotely critical about you on another forum, we'd now be mortal enemies!

This site would be a very dull place without more seasoned collectors such as yourself (and yes, even @lgans316 :angel:). I think the diversity of HidefNinja's user base is one of its biggest advantages. It's a real pleasure getting to share this hobby with collectors and movie lovers around the globe. Anything that makes the world a smaller, friendlier place is okay in my book. :thumbs:

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: JackRegan
You are only partially right. If you care more for the content you can always just get the standard amaray version. If you are getting the steelbook version then looks is just as important as content.

Absolutely ! I personally care for both.
But when i read most of the threads it seems that content is the least of many people concerns.

Yes and no, agree with what you're saying to a certain extent, but judging this release against previous PA releases of films that have been nowhere near the pedigree of Oldboy (ignoring the fact it's the greatest South Korean film ever made) it just doesn't measure up. Compare it to say The Imitation Game... it's not in the same ballpark. The extras are fantastic no doubt, but I don't think it will be the definitive release.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jocelin
Yes and no, agree with what you're saying to a certain extent, but judging this release against previous PA releases of films that have been nowhere near the pedigree of Oldboy (ignoring the fact it's the greatest South Korean film ever made) it just doesn't measure up. Compare it to say The Imitation Game... it's not in the same ballpark. The extras are fantastic no doubt, but I don't think it will be the definitive release.

I agree with you, actually my comment was not for this release in particular. More like general feeling. True that not everything was perfect for this release, but the new english subtitled documentary is still quite an achievement and i do not read a lot of comments on this subject.

Reactions: Driver
I agree with you, actually my comment was not for this release in particular. More like general feeling. True that not everything was perfect for this release, but the new english subtitled documentary is still quite an achievement and i do not read a lot of comments on this subject.

Yeah, fair enough. I genuinely think there was a miscalculation of budget on this, too much was put into the documentary, extras etc and not enough into the overall package, although while saying that the slip for Tinker Tailor was as poor as Oldboy. I really want them to succeed but I've spent an ungodly amount of money with them and it's only fair that I'd expect their quality to be consistent.

Im new to the forums and want to sell all my korean steelbooks/slipcases from plain archive, novamedia and kimchidvd, how do i go about this, especially cause i would rather do local, as i live in los angeles, and will.bw selling cheap

Im new to the forums and want to sell all my korean steelbooks/slipcases from plain archive, novamedia and kimchidvd, how do i go about this, especially cause i would rather do local, as i live in los angeles, and will.bw selling cheap
We have a trading section here where you can list items you would like to sell. You can set up your thread with items and prices and you will then be asked to provide some feedback from another forum/ ebay. If you only want to sell locally then just state that in your sales thread.

It's unknown as to why Oldboy has vanished from their site. It could mean that they held a bunch back in case there were issues and plan on listing them again, or it could mean that there is absolutely no way that they come back in stock. It does appear to be the only release that has disappeared completely.