Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive Lenticular Edition) [UK]

Mar 7, 2014
Tatooine
Release date: December 23, 2016
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-orders will be live around 6pm on Friday 25th November)
Price: £24.99

11369767-6674436648712438.jpg

11369767-3414436648762043.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: lgans316
Wow, I knew Zavvi was dodgy, but this is a proper scam. They sell this as No 1 in their Disney collection, effectively throwing the previous numbering system down the drain. These steelbooks were advertised and sold as limited steelbooks, and they go an re-release them as lenticular steelbooks instead of completing their collection. Disney never really treated their customers with the proper respect, so I guess Zavvi and Disney really deserve each other.
Zavvi listing refers to Disney Classic number 1 which is correct

The previous release from Zavvi was not numbered as such it was a Zavvi Disney collection listings numbered as each release was announced but the actual Jcards had the Disney Classic canon numbering which was Number 1 for the previous Snow White Steelbook and this would be the same Number 1

None of the previous Zavvi steelbook was actually numbered by the Zavvi Disney collection listing numbers anywhere on the steelbook or Jcard all only had the Offical Disney Classic Canon Number on the Jcard

Zavvi listing refers to Disney Classic number 1 which is correct

The previous release from Zavvi was not numbered as such it was a Zavvi Disney collection listings numbered as each release was announced but the actual Jcards had the Disney Classic canon numbering which was Number 1 for the previous Snow White Steelbook and this would be the same Number 1

None of the previous Zavvi steelbook was actually numbered by the Zavvi Disney collection listing numbers anywhere on the steelbook or Jcard all only had the Offical Disney Classic Canon Number on the Jcard

You are correct, Snow White is Disney animated classic number 1.

And while it is true that the Zavvi numbering wasn't actually printed on the jcards, they were all - until recently - listed at Zavvi.com with a specific number. It's not really relevant whether the number were physically printed as long as it was listed as such.

You are correct, Snow White is Disney animated classic number 1.

And while it is true that the Zavvi numbering wasn't actually printed on the jcards, they were all - until recently - listed at Zavvi.com with a specific number. It's not really relevant whether the number were physically printed as long as it was listed as such.
That numbering was done away with ages ago and is why later releases was not numbered
Zavvi Disney Collection is Animated and Live Action Films
It's not listed as Zavvi Disney Classic Collection

The only numbering that counts is Official Disney Canon numbering and is why that is on the Jcard

That numbering was done away with ages ago and is why later releases was not numbered
Zavvi Disney Collection is Animated and Live Action Films
It's not listed as Zavvi Disney Classic Collection

The only numbering that counts is Official Disney Canon numbering and is why that is on the Jcard

According to you, maybe. My point is that the steelbooks was sold with the Zavvi numbering, which means it is part of the official listing, which means it counts. I'm just pointing out Zavvi's sales strategy here.

Personally I care about the Disney classic numbering, but that doesn't remove the fact that the original steelbooks were sold with another numbering system in mind, so you can't really blame those who actually think it is important. It's just a way to artificially create a sense of value, but if it affects people's buying decisions, you can't really dismiss it.

According to you, maybe. My point is that the steelbooks was sold with the Zavvi numbering, which means it is part of the official listing, which means it counts. I'm just pointing out Zavvi's sales strategy here.

Personally I care about the Disney classic numbering, but that doesn't remove the fact that the original steelbooks were sold with another numbering system in mind, so you can't really blame those who actually think it is important. It's just a way to artificially create a sense of value, but if it affects people's buying decisions, you can't really dismiss it.

But if there was never any mention of what release it was as part of Zavvi's collection other than on the website, then does it really matter?

Surely on your shelf, you keep them in the official Disney order (Snow White, Pinocchio, Fantasia etc), not in Zavvi's release order that mixes animated and live-action, classics and so on? All Zavvi's numbering means is that X was the 5th steelbook released, Y was the 6th, so essentially nothing.

Besides, most (all?) of the original releases sold out. These are new ones designed to make you part with more money if you must own every steelbook on the planet, or simply to get you to part with your money in general (like every steelbook release ever).

Well, my point is that it matters as long as it gives Disney and Zavvi an artificial reason to rerelease a steelbook. Using essentially the same design (with minor differences) and slapping on a lenticular, is questionable when the original steelbooks were advertised as limited. If anything good can come out of this, it must be a redesign of the horrible Fantasia steelbook :wtf:

The number on the spine refers to the film being the first Disney animated feature film, it's nothing to do with Zavvi. :LOL:

They've actually sold previous Disney steels in the 'The Disney Collection' section before. I know that in this case it refers to Snow White as the first animated classic, but why not call it Disney Classic No 1 then like the spine instead of deliberately trying to mislead customers?

They've actually sold previous Disney steels in the 'The Disney Collection' section before. I know that in this case it refers to Snow White as the first animated classic, but why not call it Disney Classic No 1 then like the spine instead of deliberately trying to mislead customers?
Zavvi are not misleading anyone

Disney do re-releases on a regular basis across all formats
Disney sometimes do 3 re-releases a year of the same title some same artwork and some new artwork
Sometimes it's just a slipcover

It's different steelbook it has different artwork with a Lenticular Magnet

Steelbooks are not released for the purpose of resale value they are released for customers to purchase be it open or keep sealed most customers open them.

Lot of new steelbook collectors since 2014 more than that was back then

Zavvi don't design or make steelbooks that is decided by the film studio/distributor

Disney have being doing re-releases of Disney Classics on DVD/Blu-ray every year past 3 years and there is more re-releases to come next year

Last edited:
Reactions: lgans316
Zavvi are not misleading anyone

Disney do re-releases on a regular basis across all formats
Disney sometimes do 3 re-releases a year of the same title some same artwork and some new artwork
Sometimes it's just a slipcover

It's different steelbook it has different artwork with a Lenticular Magnet

Steelbooks are not released for the purpose of resale value they are released for customers to purchase be it open or keep sealed

Lot of new steelbook collectors since 2014 more than that was back then

Zavvi don't design or make steelbooks that is decided by the film studio/distributor

Disney have being doing re-releases of Disney Classics on DVD/Blu-ray every year past 3 years and there is more re-releases to come next year

I know Disney re-release stuff, and tend to leave every collection incomplete (which may or may not be a (well planned) strategy). I have been a collector for years and they are notorious for this. But the fact that Disney has been doing this for some time, and keep churning out subpar products, doesn't make it ok. (And by the way, most releases are not released with an official print run, so you can't really compare this with the dozens of re-releases on DVD and Blu-Ray)

Also, I am not talking about resale value. I don't care if a steelbook has a print run of a thousand or a million, it doesn't really mean anything if you're just interested in the design. But still, advertising something as exclusive and limited will affect some people's buying decision.

But it's still a Zavvi exclusive steelbook. Zavvi doesn't design the steelbooks, I know that. But they still have a say, and they decide if they are going to sell something or not and how they are listing their products. And they have proved time and again that they don't really know how to treat customers with respect.

Last edited:
I get what you're saying.

This release though, is limited and exclusive. I don't know how many it's limited to, but it's exclusive to Zavvi. The last one was also limited and exclusive. Sure, this one looks a lot like the last one, but it is different. I got the first version and have no interest in this one (I only ever have one version of a steelbook).

I can appreciate many don't like Zavvi (I've not really had much issue with them), but you can't blame them for doing more and more steelbooks and more and more re-releases if that's what keeps them in business. Disney are more cynical with their releases than Zavvi though. They re-release the same old titles with new covers seemingly every week while the same old discs sit inside those covers.

No number on spine
Yellow oval number on spine
White number on spine
Hero slips
Villain slips
Classic slips
Classic Steelbook
Classic Steelbook with lenti
Marvel steelbook with no title
Marvel steelbook with title on spine
Marvel steelbook double feature

And so on...

It goes without saying, if you're a business, that you need to produce/sell or you'll stagnate and die . . . and with *new customers buying steelbooks on a regular basis it also goes without saying that *new steelbooks must be produced for these new customers if only to give them the chance to buy titles that may be OOP nowadays (and OOPs runs into the hundreds from 2008 to the present).

It matters not one iota that I've been buying steelbooks in the U.K. since day one and that more than a few new steelbooks are but re-issues of previously released steelbooks - albeit not exact replicas - and that some new steelbooks - or at least the Blu-ray discs inside - may not be new to me but may be new to someone just entering the steelbook market.

A new steelbooks for me would be one not already released here - from the first one in mid 2008 up to the present day . . . to a new steelbook collector it could be a steelbook released only a month ago . . .

Regarding re-issues: again, as a longtime collector, I will invariably have the original releases on my shelves - which releases will invariably be OOP by now - but to a new collector a new release - or re-release - will be his/her original release and it would be totally selfish, childish, naif and mean-spirited of me to cry foul and say "These re-issues are devaluing my originals and shouldn't be produced" instead of saying "Welcome to the world of U.K. steelbooks and I'm glad to see you've recently had the opportunity to pick up one of the best designed U.K. steelbooks around THE ROCKETEER" as just one example out of many re-issues of long OOP titles.

Speaking as a steelbook collector, I'll be keeping the originals and will also be buying the newer releases unless they are e x a c t l y the same as the originals.

*Steelbooks produced: 2008 = 3..............2009 = 9...............2010 = 22 vs.Steelbooks produced : 2014 = 244.........2015 = 234...........2016 = 225 approx.
QUOD ERAT DEMONSTRANDUM

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: K.i.T
Another gorgeous Disney steelbook and I think it can be safely said without fear of contradiction - now that all 7 have been released - that Disney have knocked these out of the park, that they've been true to their word and have made every effort to resolve the issue with the badly sized and overlapping lenticular magnets with only THE ROCKETEER slightly spoiled by the badly sized outside the frame artwork on the steelbook itself and the related problem with the grey border.
Congratulations to Disney for listening to, taking seriously, and acting on customers' complaints after the frightful overlapping on AGE OF ULTRON.
The end result is clear with all artwork more central with 99% of said artwork within frame with matching / same size artwork on all of the lenticulars except for THE ROCKETEER.

Zero finish on all seven.

. . . and, finally, ORIGINAL POSTER ARTWORK has been used on some but by no means all of these new steelbooks:-
II
V
Lower half of FROZEN with Sven's facial expression changed (original poster Germany)
frozen_ver15.jpg

MONSTERS INC (original poster ?)
monsters_inc_ver8.jpg

BRAVE (original poster Italy) ................................................................................. THE LION KING (original textless poster)

TOY STORY (similar to the 20th Anniversary image seen here) ................ SNOW WHITE (Diamond Edition artwork)

• Thanks
Reactions: lgans316 and neo