Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive Lenticular Edition) [UK]

Mar 7, 2014
Tatooine
Release date: December 23, 2016
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-orders will be live around 6pm on Friday 25th November)
Price: £24.99

11369767-6674436648712438.jpg

11369767-3414436648762043.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: lgans316
I don't expect to sell out quick but it will end up as sold out in a few months
Disney animation sells some quickly and some take a while but all end up as sold out

There is more than double the amount of new steelbook collectors buying steelbooks now compared to last time in 2014 and is why you have seen film studios do a lot of steelbook releases both new and re releases and new retailers doing releases in various countries

Every week you get new customers buying their first steelbook

I don't disagree there are a lot of new collectors joining everyday. Snow White took ages to sell out so obviously the demand was simply not there for them to sell out as quickly as other popular titles. Even on the secondary market they were still around £20 cost price. I was waiting for a price drop from Zavvi which never really came so ended up getting this at pretty much cost price from eBay.

For this title I would say there is no panic rush. Will happily wait and see some pictures first before making any commitment and wait for the drop in price.

Reactions: lgans316
Considering this has no 3D would had been better to price this similar to The Rocketeer. So we are paying the extra for the Lenti compared to the original release.

Yes, the price may seem a bit of a shocker for a 1 disc steelbook, with or without lenticular, but it's not much above other 1 disc releases such as the new Jack Reacher or "Jason Bourne" or "The Purge: Election Year" or the upcoming *two from Eureka (or other single disc affairs originally priced high at release).
To play devil's advocate, it is a Disney animation steelbook which means that it will start off slightly more expensive than other steelbooks and more importantly it's SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS after all:
- First full-length Disney animated feature.
- #10 in the Highest Grossing Films ever in the U.S. / Canada list with almost $940M adjusted gross or, to put it another way, Disney's longest running cash cow.
- #34 in the American Film Institute's 100 Best American Movies and #1 in their list of the Ten Best Animated American Films.
- Best Score nomination and Honorary Oscar for "a significant screen innovation which has charmed millions and pioneered a great new entertainment field for the motion picture cartoon."
- Selected by the National Film Registry for preservation in the Library of Congress
- Certain scenes inspired by silent German expressionist cinema particularly "Nosferatu" and "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" as well as the home-grown "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde".
- The first film to be entirely scanned to digital files, manipulated, and recorded back to film (in 1993). The restoration project was carried out entirely at 4K resolutionand 10-bit colour-depth using the Cineon system to digitally remove dirt and scratches and restore faded colors.
- Thanks to the money generated by the film Walt Disney was able to finance a new $4.5 studio in Burbank (which remains the Disney HQ to this day) and as they say the result is history with the next set of classic animated features following shortly afterwards - "Pinocchio", "Fantasia", "Bambi", "Dumbo".
- First film with an official motion picture soundtrack and the first film to have an official soundtrack album.
- Released on VHS and Laserdisc in 1994 and sold 50 million copies before returning to the vault and holds the record as the best-selling video cassette ever.
- Praised by the great Russian director Sergei Eisenstein as "the greatest film ever made" and also admired by Charlie Chaplin.
- Thanks to its success inspired other studios to bring out other fantasy films such as "The Wizard of Oz" and "Gulliver's Travels".

Anyway, released at CHRISTMAS 1937 and now due a release at CHRISTMAS 2016 all I can say is "Welcome back, even though it feels like you've hardly ever been away except for when tucked up safely in the vault"

* DVD included, yes, I know, but I don't count that.

Early promos:-
II
V
upload_2016-11-27_12-41-55.png
upload_2016-11-27_12-42-35.png
upload_2016-11-27_12-43-14.png
upload_2016-11-27_12-43-53.png
upload_2016-11-27_12-44-30.png

• Thanks
Reactions: Nikofrance
Yes, the price may seem a bit of a shocker for a 1 disc steelbook, with or without lenticular, but it's not much above other 1 disc releases such as the new Jack Reacher or "Jason Bourne" or "The Purge: Election Year" or the upcoming *two from Eureka (or other single disc affairs originally priced high at release).
To play devil's advocate, it is a Disney animation steelbook which means that it will start off slightly more expensive than other steelbooks and more importantly it's SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS after all:
- First full-length Disney animated feature.
- #10 in the Highest Grossing Films ever in the U.S. / Canada list with almost $940M adjusted gross or, to put it another way, Disney's longest running cash cow.
- #34 in the American Film Institute's 100 Best American Movies and #1 in their list of the Ten Best Animated American Films.
- Best Score nomination and Honorary Oscar for "a significant screen innovation which has charmed millions and pioneered a great new entertainment field for the motion picture cartoon."
- Selected by the National Film Registry for preservation in the Library of Congress
- Certain scenes inspired by silent German expressionist cinema particularly "Nosferatu" and "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" as well as the home-grown "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde".
- The first film to be entirely scanned to digital files, manipulated, and recorded back to film (in 1993). The restoration project was carried out entirely at 4K resolutionand 10-bit colour-depth using the Cineon system to digitally remove dirt and scratches and restore faded colors.
- Thanks to the money generated by the film Walt Disney was able to finance a new $4.5 studio in Burbank (which remains the Disney HQ to this day) and as they say the result is history with the next set of classic animated features following shortly afterwards - "Pinocchio", "Fantasia", "Bambi", "Dumbo".
- First film with an official motion picture soundtrack and the first film to have an official soundtrack album.
- Released on VHS and Laserdisc in 1994 and sold 50 million copies before returning to the vault and holds the record as the best-selling video cassette ever.
- Praised by the great Russian director Sergei Eisenstein as "the greatest film ever made" and also admired by Charlie Chaplin.
- Thanks to its success inspired other studios to bring out other fantasy films such as "The Wizard of Oz" and "Gulliver's Travels".

Anyway, released at CHRISTMAS 1937 and now due a release at CHRISTMAS 2016 all I can say is "Welcome back, even though it feels like you've hardly ever been away except for when tucked up safely in the vault"

* DVD included, yes, I know, but I don't count that.

Early promos:-
II
V

And that is why you don't buy these full priced steels you mentioned and wait for the price drop lol

Reactions: SteelbookGenius666
To paraphrase Kuzco, "Maybe I'm new to this whole steelbook thing, but this, to me, might be considered a step backward, wouldn't you say?" It seems to me that the steelbook art shouldn't be altered so that a small lenticular magnet looks better on it. Maybe the other way around instead?

To paraphrase Kuzco, "Maybe I'm new to this whole steelbook thing, but this, to me, might be considered a step backward, wouldn't you say?" It seems to me that the steelbook art shouldn't be altered so that a small lenticular magnet looks better on it. Maybe the other way around instead?

This is actually how I see it, they have shrunk the art so they avoid overlapping in the lenti which is ridiculous IMO
Only ones it's made a big difference is to monsters inc, you can see their feet now and brave have added a pic in the background

But they have shrunk everything to make sure the lenti don't over lap lol
Just make the lentis better. Jeez

I certainly wouldn't say that the art has been "shrunk to fit" and what I would say is that ALL steelbooks that come with framed lenticular magnets should be exactly like this - in other words, with the front steelbook artwork contained within the border of the frame with preferably a plain colour frame matching the background of the artwork inside the frame which immediately does away with those annoying alignment issues between frame and lenticular which rather spoil the package for me.

Of course, full height lentis do away with this problem but Disney doesn't seem to be a fan of those and who can blame them if this little group of Disney classics / Pixar lenticular steelbooks look the biz in the flesh.

As Disney / Pixar lenticular steelbook packages - which these SPECIFICALLY are - this is clearly and without a shadow of a doubt the way to go and full marks to Disney/Scanavo for taking on board the concerns raised by some of the worst examples, such as the recent "Age of Ultron", and fixing them by re-sizing the steelbook front artwork (comparing the new mock-up to the original mock-up) :thumbs::happy:

Anyway, full height artwork is to be found on the back and inside.

Just came across comparison pics between old-mock-ups and these new mock-ups which are worth sharing:-
II
V
FROZEN
After ........................................................................................ Before
Frozen-steelbook-lenti-4.jpg
Frozen-steelbook-lenti-1.jpg

BRAVE
After .......................................................................................................................Before
Brave-steelbook-lenti-zavvi-4.jpg

Brave-steelbook-lenti-1.jpg

MONSTERS, INC
After ............................................................................................. Before
Monsters-Inc-Lenti-4-steelbook.jpg

Monsters-inc-steelbook-lenti-1.jpg

THE LION KING
After ............................................................................................... Before
The-Lion-King-steelbook-lenti-4.jpg

The-Lion-King-steelbook-zavvi-1.jpg

SNOW WHITE
After .................................................................................................................... Before
Snow-White-steelbook-lenti-4.jpg

snow white.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hooltra
. . . and finally (because it doesn't fit above) TOY STORY:-
II
V
After .......................................................................................................................... Before
Toy-Story-steelbook-lenti-4.jpg
Toy-Story-steelbook-lenti-zavvi-1.jpg

Reactions: Hooltra
I certainly wouldn't say that the art has been "shrunk to fit" and what I would say is that ALL steelbooks that come with framed lenticular magnets should be exactly like this - in other words, with the front steelbook artwork contained within the border of the frame with preferably a plain colour frame matching the background of the artwork inside the frame which immediately does away with those annoying alignment issues between frame and lenticular which rather spoil the package for me.

Of course, full height lentis do away with this problem but Disney doesn't seem to be a fan of those and who can blame them if this little group of Disney classics / Pixar lenticular steelbooks look the biz in the flesh.

As Disney / Pixar lenticular steelbook packages - which these SPECIFICALLY are - this is clearly and without a shadow of a doubt the way to go and full marks to Disney/Scanavo for taking on board the concerns raised by some of the worst examples, such as the recent "Age of Ultron", and fixing them by re-sizing the steelbook front artwork (comparing the new mock-up to the original mock-up) :thumbs::happy:

Anyway, full height artwork is to be found on the back and inside.

Just came across comparison pics between old-mock-ups and these new mock-ups which are worth sharing:-
II
V
FROZEN
After ........................................................................................ Before
View attachment 281258 View attachment 281260

BRAVE
After .......................................................................................................................Before
View attachment 281261

View attachment 281245

MONSTERS, INC
After ............................................................................................. Before
View attachment 281247

View attachment 281262

THE LION KING
After ............................................................................................... Before
View attachment 281248
View attachment 281263

SNOW WHITE
After .................................................................................................................... Before
View attachment 281249
View attachment 281264

So basically you have just shown evidence that they have infact shrunk the art (to fit in some cases)

Shrunk might not be the correct word but the end of the day it is exactly that

IMO Snow White and lion king looked better before and the others look slightly better with the new fit

Toy story though, that's just bad - and not the shrinking, the whole design

^ Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree as usual and I'm totally fine with that.

But, anyway, just to have one last attempt at explaining what I'm talking about:
- The artwork is NOT shrunk to fit on these lenticular steelbooks and it's obviously a DELIBERATE DESIGN DECISION for the artwork to be mostly inside the frame in order for the lenticular to sit correctly without the egregious overlapping as seen on the recent AGE OF ULTRON and others including some from the 2015 lenticular wave.

Now, I can't help it if you or others like you are unable to grasp the concept that Disney - AS REPORTED VERY RECENTLY - did realise and accept that there is a problem affecting their range of lenticular steelbooks . . . and that they consequently decided to actually DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. . . now that they've done something about it all people can do is moan !!! (LOL)
What have they done about it ? Well, you only have to look at the BEFORE and AFTER mock-ups ^ to see what they've done.

Just waiting now for people to say that they prefer full face steelbook artwork when framed lenticulars are provided and that overlapping issues with the lenticular and the steelbook behind it are unimportant as they just throw away the lenticular . . . something so absurd as to be almost laughable and the type of comment that kind of defeats the object of lenticular steelbooks.

Full face steelbook artwork is of course fine when we're talking about a regular steelbook with no lenticular or when there's a full height lenticular.

Just talking here about Disney lenticular steelbooks - this being a Disney lenticular steelbook thread - and, yes, I do realise that there have been recent excellent examples of framed lenticular steelbooks here in the U.K. (and other places) where the artwork on the lenti has successfully continued on to the framing border with minimal alignment issues but again we're talking Disney here and not Sony or any other company.

^ Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree as usual and I'm totally fine with that.

Now, I can't help it if you or others like you are unable to grasp the concept that Disney - AS REPORTED VERY RECENTLY - did realise and accept that there is a problem affecting their range of lenticular steelbooks . . . and that they consequently decided to actually DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. . . now that they've done something about it all people can do is moan !!! (LOL)
What have they done about it ? Well, you only have to look at the BEFORE and AFTER mock-ups ^ to see what they've done.

Oh I fully understand and grasped their "concept" of the understanding their issue with the overlap of their lentis to the steel art but I assumed (and I assume many others did too) was that they would actually fix their lenti issue by improving them and making the art blending and lining up with the art.
But they have taken a lazy route and instead of making a better lenti with more movement and depth and lines up with the art (like the French hobbit for example) they have decided to make the art smaller on the steel so they don't look like idiots by having a double image

Like I said before some steels with their change have benefitted but others haven't. Just look at the stupid stretched door on the monsters inc one even though now we see their feet!
They fix one issue and by doing that they **** up another

Snow White also looked better before the smaller art

Wow, I knew Zavvi was dodgy, but this is a proper scam. They sell this as No 1 in their Disney collection, effectively throwing the previous numbering system down the drain. These steelbooks were advertised and sold as limited steelbooks, and they go an re-release them as lenticular steelbooks instead of completing their collection. Disney never really treated their customers with the proper respect, so I guess Zavvi and Disney really deserve each other.

Wow, I knew Zavvi was dodgy, but this is a proper scam. They sell this as No 1 in their Disney collection, effectively throwing the previous numbering system down the drain. These steelbooks were advertised and sold as limited steelbooks, and they go an re-release them as lenticular steelbooks instead of completing their collection. Disney never really treated their customers with the proper respect, so I guess Zavvi and Disney really deserve each other.

The number on the spine refers to the film being the first Disney animated feature film, it's nothing to do with Zavvi. :LOL: