Release date: April 9, 2018
Purchase link: 3D+2D - 4K+2D
Prices: £24.99 (3D+2D) - £32.99 (4K+2D)
Notes: Includes title on the spine

DWe9r2ZXkAAnWdO.jpg DWe9r1GW0AAQ5De.jpg
DWe9r0tWkAAJ3e3.jpg DWe9r03X4AIEGlT.jpg
11642793-8654539570351600.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
personally overall i like the tlj, and def is a marmite film you either loved it or hated it.

yes there where certain storylines in tfa that answers where not easily charcater developed and some just ignored(which was a silly move and a way to piss off people who wanted answers before from questions)
i can see where some would be annoyed, they felt cheated abit
1.rays background who was she etc? was badly answered
e.g. some just have the force naturally within them. this was explained and highlighted on some of the profesional film reviews
2.snork who was he, how did he become supreme leader etc (they just kill him off for a twist)
many more but im tired atm

i think kathleen giving a new director every film is her biggest mistake because every director has a different vision, she would have been better giving jj the first 3 and then change director. the flow between films would have carried the storylines better with vision and more structure.
the part of new director feels like in her mind getting fresh eyes but you can end up with a different film from the same script with each director.

but have to agree with others people should be able to chat without becoming an arguement. everyones view is different and from what im seeing on here it looks like a 50/50 split so for me is a marmite film.

we see the backlash on ix in 2019 i guess.

i just hope the new solo film is going to be good after so much filming was done then dropped ron howard in to finish it off, every film ron howard has done i have loved but it does worry me when it becomes a clean up job but we shall see time will tell.

basil :thumbs:

I'm going to offer what I feel is a rather balanced counter-point to your arguments, and I would like to see what you think!
Full disclaimer- I didn't love the Last Jedi- and while I did "like" the film overall- I attribute my positive feelings for the film to the creative liberties taken by Rian Johnson in terms of direction and story... yet actually WATCHING the film for me is a bit of a drag. My personal issue that I have with The Last Jedi is that the scene construction and dialogue make the film feel like a Marvel film.... a quip punctuates every scene, and most dramatic tension is undercut by the pure admission that the film is silly in comparison to the basis of reality and not in terms to the basis of the franchise... which I feel creates a tonal issue.

However, as far as your two 'Questions' go- I have this to offer:

1. Rey being a 'nobody' I feel was a perfectly created revelation that balances the film within the confines of the overall narrative. The idea that Luke Skywalker- the farmboy on a backwater planet- becoming the hero to save the galaxy- is indicative of a notion that ANYBODY can become a hero if their heart is in the right place. However, this whole idea of the hero living inside of any of us was retconned by the Prequel trilogy- by informing the audience that it was the bloodline of Skywalker that was important because Palpatine literally "Force-F***ed" Shmi Skywalker... removing lineage from the equation in The Last Jedi once again brings the franchise back full-circle to the idea that there is a hero living in us all.

In addition to that- Rian Johnson makes an excellent point about the reasons why this revelation is important for Rey's character. Juxtaposing it with Luke Skywalker- Luke, in ESB, was committed to the Rebel Alliance- and thus, the revelation that Darth Vader was his father was meant to unbalance him and give him a personal perspective on to the struggle between the rebellion and the empire. Rey is the opposite of Luke, and while she's friends with the idea of the Resistance against the First Order- she does not know what her purpose is within this story... giving Rey (and more so- giving the audience) the reveal that she is of familiar lineage would be what she needed- and what she would want... because a personal investment of the likes that Luke received would be something that would give her commitment and purpose. So thus, in order to achieve the same effect of her being completely taken off guard- the opposite was revealed- and that she's not important and has no place in this story.

2. As far as Snoke goes-- I could care less. He was bad guy... and he was replaced with a more dynamic and interesting bad guy. The last time that fans wanted an explanation for an all-power character- we got three prequel films documenting Sheevy-Palp's rise to power via trade tariffs and that is the last thing that I want to see again. Sure, there was some mysteriousness behind Snoke- but his function in the story was that of an antagonist, and if his function is to be an antagonist, I would rather that they replace him with a more interesting antagonist... which they did.

And as far as the whole Director argument goes- I could not disagree more. Having a singular vision for a franchise invites monotony... monotony found in something like the Marvel movies- because with so many of their directors being interchangeable- you have a consistently dull tone that doesn't change. Having each Star Wars film be the work of an auteur brings new visions, and while that may make certain ideas clash- it makes the overall franchise more colorful.

To be fair I didn't think there was much in terms of any character development, I think the issue is that it deviated too much from TFA and didn't feel consistent with it, that's what I gather from the varying opinions. Hopefully J.J. will figure out how to bring things full circle in Episode IX. :watch:

Well Finn went from ex stormie who wants to run as far as he can from the FO, to a full on rebel with a cause.

Kylo Ren also has an interesting story and development arc.

Why exactly does it deviate from TFA?

• Thanks
Reactions: winter_soldier
I’m thinking of cancelling this and just order again when it’s ‘in stock’ and use a discount code and save £3.30 off the 4K release. I can’t see this selling out very soon...

Well Finn went from ex stormie who wants to run as far as he can from the FO, to a full on rebel with a cause.

Kylo Ren also has an interesting story and development arc.

Why exactly does it deviate from TFA?

Well tone, insertion of out of place comedy moments and it didn't feel like a real continuation to TFA or that it existed in the same universe, almost like TFA wasn't apart of the same trilogy. And Poe, I liked him and yet he felt absent from the film. :wow:

I didn't think it was a bad movie but compared to TFA, at times it felt like one.

• Thanks
Reactions: BluSteel2012
And as far as the whole Director argument goes- I could not disagree more. Having a singular vision for a franchise invites monotony... monotony found in something like the Marvel movies- because with so many of their directors being interchangeable- you have a consistently dull tone that doesn't change. Having each Star Wars film be the work of an auteur brings new visions, and while that may make certain ideas clash- it makes the overall franchise more colorful.

You make some good points, but i strongly disagree with you re. Marvel directors/movies.

Cap 1 and 2 are hugely different in tone, Shane Blacks Iron Man 3 did a lot to subvert the two previous films by introducing PTSD to a quipy character and taking them out the suit for a large portion of the film. When Guardians 1 came along it looked and sounded like no Marvel film before it, Dr Strange introduced the mystical and the multiverse while Spider-Man Homecoming was almost a high-school comedy with its strong focus on youthful exuberance. Then Marvel handed the reigns to Taika Waititi for Ragnarok which almost completely reinvented Thor for his cosmic road trip/buddy movie.

Anyways, back to TLJ.... I liked it :)

• Thanks
Reactions: FN-2187
Well tone, insertion of out of place comedy moments and it didn't feel like a real continuation to TFA or that it existed in the same universe, almost like TFA wasn't apart of the same trilogy. And Poe, I liked him and yet he felt absent from the film. :wow:

I didn't think it was a bad movie but compared to TFA, at times it felt like one.

But the tone of ANH and ESB was totally different too, same with ROTJ.

Re the comedy, there has always been comedy moments in all star wars movies, one liners etc, even in R1 with it's darker tone. Is there really anymore than what we have seen before? Maybe they were too obvious.

I've been thinking about why the flaws of the OT don't bother me as much as those in the newer movies. And I think maybe there are details you can overlook in the first story of a series. In the OT, for example, there's a shadowy Emperor figure controlling things, but he's only revealed to the viewer very gradually, and you never learn where he comes from or what his motivation is. For me, it works, because for one story, I can buy that it's a bigger mythology, and maybe that backstory is there, maybe it isn't. It doesn't detract from the more immediate action involving the heroes.

But when that same story starts happening a second time, within the lifetime of the original heroes, it's reasonable to take a step back and say, "Wait a minute here, what is going on exactly? What's the deal with this galaxy that they let some authoritarian figure walk all over them at regular intervals?" The second time around, I want more details, more backstory, more answers, because I know this has happened before, and I know about how many years ago it happened. So when the new trilogy seems to not even know the backstory, it distracts me.

By the time of the new trilogy, there are also other questions needing to be answered, which weren't apparent in the earlier story: When is killing the right response for a peace-seeker? Should the galaxy be united under a single government? Is galaxy-wide equality possible? What is a Jedi supposed to do in times of peace? The new trilogy so far is not dealing with those issues. It would make the movies more interesting for me, but for a lot of other people, it's not a problem. And that's fine. :)

Hey folks, just a quick update that I have placed orders for more copies of the Best Buy 4K UHD Exclusive steelbook, just waiting for them all to arrive so I can inspect them and return any damaged ones.

I should have enough for everyone that is now looking to get a copy, but need to have them arrive first before I sell more.

Please keep checking back, I will be looking to restock the group buy on Wednesday or so next week - would suggest watching the listing or the Group buy thread for when I post updates - so you get an alert from the forum.

https://www.hidefninja.com/communit...-jedi-4k-uhd-blu-ray-steelbook-group-buy.353/

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Noodles
Weird how the Australian steelbook is the only one to place the droids on the left side of the O-ring instead of on the right as seen everywhere else :confused:
196630_large.jpg
-----------------------------------------
194995_large.jpg
195034_large.jpg
180138_large.jpg

Is it possible - based on the sealed pic of the Aussie steelbook ^ - that the droids will not be on the steelbook itself?
Is it possible that a de-bossed title (if there is a title on the front) will now be lower right instead of lower left?

Goes without saying that the artwork on this steelbook isn't in the same league as that on The Americas edition . . . as scant consolation will go OK however with the WWA steelbook for TFA:-
195034_large.jpg
153273_large.jpg
upload_2018-3-24_13-54-43.png

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: DMD4k
Is it possible - based on the sealed pic of the Aussie steelbook ^ - that the droids will not be on the steelbook itself?
Is it possible that a de-bossed title (if there is a title on the front) will now be lower right instead of lower left?
No, it is probably only wrong slip. :)
GEDICd6HQF2bpY4sPXxaXw.png

• Thanks
Reactions: virkia
Looking at the steelbook back art again something doesn't look quite right with the hand ... especially when comparing the steelbook image with similar images on official posters where it's clearly the right hand holding the light sabre. On the steelbook it looks suspiciously like a left hand configuration - with the thumb facing outward instead of the back of the hand which is obviously what would be expected :confused:
upload_2018-3-24_19-27-42.png
upload_2018-3-24_19-36-25.png

upload_2018-3-24_19-24-27.png
upload_2018-3-24_19-43-57.png

It's OK, maybe no-one will notice . . .
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steelbooks since March, 2013.
Frames for steelbooks since February, 2018.
Now there's something a bit interesting to go with the above - and to go with this Ren-centric steelbook ... Disney officially licenced canvas luminart (30cm x 20cm) - first one just happens to be Ren from the LAST JEDI.
Pics courtesy Zavvi:-
upload_2018-3-24_18-26-9.png
upload_2018-3-24_18-27-47.png
upload_2018-3-24_18-33-23.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-24_19-21-45.png
    upload_2018-3-24_19-21-45.png
    207.6 KB · Views: 104
  • upload_2018-3-24_19-22-43.png
    upload_2018-3-24_19-22-43.png
    176.2 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
I think that's just the white graphics giving that impression. The creases on the glove are as in the posters.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread about Kylo’s arm. Definately something not right about the placement.

In the posters, the lightsaber is lower down his body. They have raised the lightsaber for the steel and it just looks wrong imo.