USA
Release date: 6th July, 2015
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £17.99
Note: No title on spine, no Inside art, Region B

11131287-1024300315568487.jpg

11131287-1664300315554636.jpg 11131287-5644300315562685.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If the UK Steelbook is the same as the German Steelbook then yes it will have no title on the spine or inside artwork.
But its possible the UK might have some differences, we wont have long to wait to find out

There will always be speculation until the final steelbook is received. These pictures may be of the final version or they may not be. It's up to people whether they decide to cancel or not. Most people will wait till the art is confirmed.

Whilst the, as yet unconfirmed, images of the German Steelbook are cause for concern, it is by no means a certainty that the UK Steelbook will be identical in every respect.

In Germany, the T2 Steelbook is a Media Markt/Saturn exclusive. Media Markt's German Steelbook re-releases of catalogue titles are done on the cheap and rarely have inside artwork, (T1 was an exception due to it being an international shared print run). No doubt, the lack of inner artwork offers substantial savings on the manufacturing costs. It may, therefore, be the case that the UK Steelbook will actually have inner artwork.

In the OP, the print run of the UK Steelbook is stated to be 2000, which is standard for Zavvi's Studio Canal exclusives. Previous Steelbook releases from Studio Canal in the UK, Germany and France have had separate print runs, even when the artwork has been the same, due to cosmetic differences, principally that of language. As yet, there is no confirmation that the UK and German Steelbooks have a shared print run.

I would agree that the lack of any text on either the back or the spine is worrying, since its absence means that the same Steelbook could be released in both countries, without further modification.

However, as @paulboland has already mentioned in a previous post, it's unique for a Steelbook spine to be completely blank. Previous titleless spines from the likes of Sony and Disney, as well as Lionsgate's infamous HG:MJ1, have included studio and Blu-ray logos.

I suspect that the spine was left titleless in the mockup, to enable the full title to be printed in the three respective languages. The spine of the already released French Slipcover edition includes the full title in French ("Terminator 2: Le Jugement Dernier"), as well as the logos. It would make sense for the UK and German Steelbooks to follow suit, respectively Judgment Day and Tag der Abrechnung.

If the images of the German Steelbook spine are indeed accurate, then I would imagine this to be a quality control issue. Hopefully, one that doesn't affect the UK release.

In any event, until this is actually in hand, it cannot be automatically assumed that the UK Steelbook will be identical in every respect to the German one.

on the upside.....

hopefully this will include the recently released new encode of the film (not transfer) which is marginally better than any other BD out there by all accounts and doesn't have a stupid BD-live enabled menu which meant you have to go online to watch all the bonus features.

Reactions: lgans316
Whilst the, as yet unconfirmed, images of the German Steelbook are cause for concern, it is by no means a certainty that the UK Steelbook will be identical in every respect.

In Germany, the T2 Steelbook is a Media Markt/Saturn exclusive. Media Markt's German Steelbook re-releases of catalogue titles are done on the cheap and rarely have inside artwork, (T1 was an exception due to it being an international shared print run). No doubt, the lack of inner artwork offers substantial savings on the manufacturing costs. It may, therefore, be the case that the UK Steelbook will actually have inner artwork.

In the OP, the print run of the UK Steelbook is stated to be 2000, which is standard for Zavvi's Studio Canal exclusives. Previous Steelbook releases from Studio Canal in the UK, Germany and France have had separate print runs, even when the artwork has been the same, due to cosmetic differences, principally that of language. As yet, there is no confirmation that the UK and German Steelbooks have a shared print run.

I would agree that the lack of any text on either the back or the spine is worrying, since its absence means that the same Steelbook could be released in both countries, without further modification.

However, as @paulboland has already mentioned in a previous post, it's unique for a Steelbook spine to be completely blank. Previous titleless spines from the likes of Sony and Disney, as well as Lionsgate's infamous HG:MJ1, have included studio and Blu-ray logos.

I suspect that the spine was left titleless in the mockup, to enable the full title to be printed in the three respective languages. The spine of the already released French Slipcover edition includes the full title in French ("Terminator 2: Le Jugement Dernier"), as well as the logos. It would make sense for the UK and German Steelbooks to follow suit, respectively Judgment Day and Tag der Abrechnung.

If the images of the German Steelbook spine are indeed accurate, then I would imagine this to be a quality control issue. Hopefully, one that doesn't affect the UK release.

In any event, until this is actually in hand, it cannot be automatically assumed that the UK Steelbook will be identical in every respect to the German one.

Clutching at straws? I hope it is different!

on the upside.....

hopefully this will include the recently released new encode of the film (not transfer) which is marginally better than any other BD out there by all accounts and doesn't have a stupid BD-live enabled menu which meant you have to go online to watch all the bonus features.

Ah, so, there's an upside to this potential travesty . . .

for fans of the film who will open theirs and watch the disc.....potentially yes, there is (hopefully if it is the new encode) :thumbs:

Actually, ignore what I said. I just had a butchers at the German release pics and the J-card details on the back show the same specs as the previous Skynet disc (three cuts of the film and the bonus features) which would indicate that this European release ISN'T the new version that has been released in the US

Actually, ignore what I said. I just had a butchers at the German release pics and the J-card details on the back show the same specs as the previous Skynet disc (three cuts of the film and the bonus features) which would indicate that this European release ISN'T the new version that has been released in the US
Ah, so, NO upside to this potential travesty . . .

You've got to hand it to Studio Canal or Sony - they've got people talking about this Richard the Third on this and on other forums . . .

Last edited:
You've got to hand it to Studio Canal - they've got people talking about this Richard the Third on this and on other forums . . .
Funny enough, the Zavvi listing States it's being release by Sony lol

Pretty sure that's an error

This is one Richard the Third that is not going to be found buried under a car park . . .

Personally I can live without inside art, and that didn't stop me buying the original 'T2' steelbook edition in 2009, but the lack of a full title on the spine would be an absolute no-no, a real deal-breaker and is unpardonable, absurd and completely beggars belief !!!

Re: Studio Canal or Sony - it's a bit puzzling as is the number of different studios/distributors involved with 'T2' in recent Blu-ray & steelbook releases.

Examples of this are the following :-

USA - 2006, 2009 (Skynet Edition), 2013 (steelbook), 2015 (new AVC-coded presentation) - all LIONSGATE

CANADA - 2013 E1 FILMS, 2014 MONGREL MEDIA, 2015 (Mondo steelbooks) - MONGREL MEDIA

SPAIN 2009
ITALY 2009 & 2013
MEXICO 2009
are all listed as UNIVERSAL STUDIOS

GERMANY - 2010 KINOWELT HOME ENT., 2015 (steelbook) STUDIO CANAL

**FRANCE - 2008, 2009, 2015 (steelbook) - all STUDIO CANAL**

UK - 2008 and 2009 (Skynet Edition) - both OPTIMUM HOME ENT., 2015 SONY PICTURES or STUDIO CANAL (?)

I don't understand, if the print run of I don't know how many thousand is shared between the UK (2,000) and France and Germany and maybe other territories, why:-
a) are they are all not listed as Studio Canal releases?
b) is the front/back artwork apparently identical but the spines are blank on the UK (Zavvi) mock-up and in pictures of the German edition but NOT BLANK in pictures of the French edition?

**It can be clearly seen in pictures of the FRENCH STEELBOOK that there is plenty of information on the spine :-**
- BLU-RAY and DVD LOGO
- STUDIO CANAL LOGO
- FULL TITLE OF THE FILM - ' TERMINATOR 2 : LE JUGEMENT DERNIER'

Although why similar print is not shown on the UK and German mock-ups is a mystery to me . . .

Re: Studio Canal or Sony - it's a bit puzzling as is the number of different studios/distributors involved with 'T2' in recent Blu-ray & steelbook releases.

Examples of this are the following :-

USA - 2006, 2009 (Skynet Edition), 2013 (steelbook), 2015 (new AVC-coded presentation) - all LIONSGATE

CANADA - 2013 E1 FILMS, 2014 MONGREL MEDIA, 2015 (Mondo steelbooks) - MONGREL MEDIA

SPAIN 2009
ITALY 2009 & 2013
MEXICO 2009
are all listed as UNIVERSAL STUDIOS

GERMANY - 2010 KINOWELT HOME ENT., 2015 (steelbook) STUDIO CANAL

**FRANCE - 2008, 2009, 2015 (steelbook) - all STUDIO CANAL**

UK - 2008 and 2009 (Skynet Edition) - both OPTIMUM HOME ENT., 2015 SONY PICTURES or STUDIO CANAL (?)

I don't understand, if the print run of I don't know how many thousand is shared between the UK (2,000) and France and Germany and maybe other territories, why:-
a) are they are all not listed as Studio Canal releases?
b) is the front/back artwork apparently identical but the spines are blank on the UK (Zavvi) mock-up and in pictures of the German edition but NOT BLANK in pictures of the French edition?

**It can be clearly seen in pictures of the FRENCH STEELBOOK that there is plenty of information on the spine :-**
- BLU-RAY and DVD LOGO
- STUDIO CANAL LOGO
- FULL TITLE OF THE FILM - ' TERMINATOR 2 : LE JUGEMENT DERNIER'

Although why similar print is not shown on the UK and German mock-ups is a mystery to me . . .

The subject of which company will be distributing T2 in the UK was covered in my post #316 dated the 9th June, as was the subject of worldwide distribution rights for this title. I'm not going to go through everything again and will merely repost it here. All that I would add to my earlier post is that both Momentum and Kinowelt are Studio Canal subsidiaries, hence the earlier UK and German T2 releases being on those labels, whilst the latter ones have been on the Studio Canal label.

In order to clear up the confusion as to whether this Steelbook is being released by Studio Canal or Sony, and which disc of T2 is being utilised, I've done some research.

Carolco Pictures Inc, the producers of T2, filed for bankruptcy in 1995 and their film library was purchased the following year by Canal+, the parent company of Studio Canal. The films in that library, including T2, are owned outright by Studio Canal worldwide. It's probably the most famous and the most popular title that Studio Canal owns, so I can't see them signing away their proprietary rights to it anytime soon.

In respect of home video releases, Studio Canal directly distributes its own product in the UK, France and Germany, with the distribution rights in other territories being licensed to other companies, principally Lionsgate and Universal.

There have been previous Terminator anthologies from Sony in Europe and Warner in North America. These have included the locally released discs of T2, which have been licensed to them specifically for release as part of the anthology. The rightsholder's proprietary rights remained otherwise unaffected and individual releases of T2 have continued to appear from the likes of Studio Canal and Lionsgate, not withstanding these anthology releases.

The artwork for the UK Steelbook, placeholder or not, is identical to that of the forthcoming German Steelbook and the already released French Slipcover, both of which are from Studio Canal. Even if Sony had somehow secured the rights to release the Steelbook in the UK, I cannot see them using the Studio Canal artwork.

It appears, therefore, that the UK Steelbook will be from Studio Canal, with Sony merely releasing the anthology.

As regards the actual T2 disc being included in the UK Steelbook, a clue is provided by the image of the rear of Studio Canal's French Slipcover (post #223 above).This details the specifications of the French disc and they are identical to those of the previous Skynet Edition disc.

Studio Canal's previous releases of the Skynet Edition in the UK, France and Germany were identical in terms of the disc's specifications, so it seems likely that the same disc will also be included in the re-releases for all three territories.

The disc contained in Sony's anthology, however, is not that disc. @paulboland has referred to a customer review on the Amazon (UK) site in which the customer states, "Just one note, T2 is not the Skynet Edition, this is the original Blu-ray release."

Evidence supporting that fact is provided by the image of the rear of the anthology.

View attachment 166544

Unfortunately, the image from Amazon's site is one that cannot be enlarged, but it is possible to see the Amaray artwork of the respective films included in the anthology. It is, incidentally, bang up to date with the artwork shown for T1 being that of the new MGM/Fox edition, released as recently as last week!

The artwork shown for T2, however, is not that of the Skynet Edition but that of its predecessor.

View attachment 166548

It is the artwork of the first UK Blu-ray, released by Optimum (Studio Canal) in 2008, containing only the Special Edition Cut and absolutely no extras.

If it was the Skynet Edition Blu-ray, released by Studio Canal in 2009, that was included, the artwork shown would instead have been this.

View attachment 166551

Given that only a year separated the two releases, I would imagine that Studio Canal have plenty of copies of the first one gathering dust in their warehouse and farming them off to Sony for inclusion in the anthology makes good business sense. Unless, of course, Sony specifically requested the earlier disc due to it being Region AB, to fit in with the other discs in the anthology, whereas the latter disc is Region B locked.

In any event, to sum up, it appears that there are two discs being released in the UK of T2. The first is the forthcoming Steelbook from Studio Canal which includes the previous Skynet Edition disc (2009), containing all three cuts of the movie but locked to Region B.

The second is the anthology from Sony which includes the first release disc (2008), containing only the Special Edition cut of the movie and is Region AB but contains absolutely no extras.

Unfortunately, neither disc contains the new MPEG-4 AVC encode. For that you'll need the new US Lionsgate disc (Amaray only), the new Canadian Mongrel disc (Amaray & Mondo Steelbook) or the forthcoming Japanese Ultimate Edition (Amaray + Slipcover only).

The French edition, although initially announced as a Steelbook, was changed to a metal effect slipcover and that may be why it has a title on the spine, whilst the German edition apparently doesn't. Whether the UK edition will prove identical, in every respect, to the German one is a matter of speculation that will only be confirmed, one way or the other, once it is in hand.

It would save the day - in the event we are buying blank spine steelbooks - for the studio to provide SLIPCASES in the style of the early Arrow releases with the cut out window at the front covered with a thin plastic film.
This would 'kill two birds with one stone' so to speak and allow:-
- the main artwork which is on the front to be visible even when the item is sealed.
- the full title and all necessary logos to be on the generous spine.

It would save the day - in the event we are buying blank spine steelbooks - for the studio to provide SLIPCASES in the style of the early Arrow releases with the cut out window at the front covered with a thin plastic film.
This would 'kill two birds with one stone' so to speak and allow:-
- the main artwork which is on the front to be visible even when the item is sealed.
- the full title and all necessary logos to be on the generous spine.

I don't think blank spines should be tolerated under ANY circumstances. We already have to do our own glossing to many of the steelbooks that come out, so having to make our own spines is a giant step too far. Before long we'll be counting ourselves lucky that they even bother to put any art on the front.

I also notice that this cost saving doesn't get passed on to the customer...

I don't think blank spines should be tolerated under ANY circumstances. We already have to do our own glossing to many of the steelbooks that come out, so having to make our own spines is a giant step too far. Before long we'll be counting ourselves lucky that they even bother to put any art on the front.

I also notice that this cost saving doesn't get passed on to the customer...

They've already tried that, anyone remember the UK Fast & Furious 1-4 jumbo steelbook?