Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: August 22, 2016
Purchase link: The Jungle Book (live)
Price: £24.99

1.jpg

11270347-1044412519595183.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those random.full stops are due to my fast typing on a small keypad on my mobile phone mate. :)
I had wondered if that was the cause, as I have the same problem (along with many typos) when typing on my phone. I'm still going to imagine you're Stevie though. :giggle:

Reactions: lgans316
Based on the pics and a YouTube video, I actually kind of like this steelbook. Sure, it would be better without the cropped/zoomed image on the front and the titles are once again missing, but since that's been the norm for Disney steels for like 4 years now in Europe, I can't say I'm disappointed. I'm not paying 30€ for this though, if the price drops to 20€ I'll buy it. If it sells out, no biggie, then I'll just buy the regular Amaray.

Im watching the 3D as i type this and my god, this film is gorgeous and the 3D is absolutely excellent.

Good to know about the 3D as I was on the fence with this one, so I may blind buy this now.

I have no interest in the steelbook though (or any WWA Disney steelbook for that matter - seriously, WTF is going on???), so it's just a 3D amaray purchase for me.

Well you'd kind of being held to random because as far as I"m aware none else is or planning to do the steelbook range of Disney that Zavvi have been releasing so you either buy Zavvi releases or you don't get any at all. Very few of the Zavvi Disney releases have had steelbook releases elsewhere unless someone can tell me differently. On the plus side it has built up into a unique steelbook collection which I doubt we'll see again.

Well you'd kind of being held to random because as far as I"m aware none else is or planning to do the steelbook range of Disney that Zavvi have been releasing so you either buy Zavvi releases or you don't get any at all. Very few of the Zavvi Disney releases have had steelbook releases elsewhere unless someone can tell me differently. On the plus side it has built up into a unique steelbook collection which I doubt we'll see again.
All of the WWA Disney and Marvel Europe steelbooks are available with lot of retailers in Europe/Asia

It's only Back Catalogue Films that get WEA Disney or Marvel steebook releases with Zavvi

All new Disney films the steelbooks get same release in Europe/Asia with multiple retailers
Zavvi get exclusive as a retailer for the UK

All Steelbook Design is done by Disney Europe for Europe/Asia Market for the WWA releases and also Disney do the WEA Design for back catalogue releases they provide Zavvi with

Blufans get to have WEA Disney and Marvel releases when a film is considered back catalogue
A film release is considered back catalogue after at least 3 months but most Disney releases it's 6 months to 9 months in terms of release date from the WWA release date when you will see a WEA release

Some films it's back catalouge after 1-2 years

Last edited:
So basically if say Darby O'Gill and the Little People comes out, it may get a change of a steelbook from Zavvi but from none else
Disney decide the releases
If Disney decide on that film for the UK as a steelbook it will be with Zavvi unless that exclusive contract expired by the time they considered it for a release
I doubt though you will see a steelbook release for this film

Terms of UK Disney exclusive deals with retailers are private and are not made public.

It all depends on the conditions of the exclusive deal for the UK if Disney can release in other countries a same steelbook for back catalogue releases

Last edited:
Yes, and carrying on from that. . . if I may without getting shot down ;) . . . my favourite (after the JUNGLE BOOK 1967 the Disney Numbered Classic #19) = MEET THE ROBINSONS 2007 which is the Disney Numbered Classic #47 and which has still not been granted a steelbook release . . .

Out of the 37 or so ZAVVI EXCLUSIVE DISNEY ANIMATED NUMBERED CLASSICS from the Collection released in steelbooks to date (*see the HGN thread) there are, I think, ONLY TWO that are not OOP/OOS - namely THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG and ZOOTROPOLIS (with ZOOTROPOLIS not that long ago released) so clearly the demand for these mostly lovely steelbooks for Disney animated films is high, high, high.
*https://www.hidefninja.com/communit...blu-ray-steelbooks-zavvi-exclusives-uk.37729/
--------------------
Regarding the DISNEY CLASSIC NUMBERS on the spine of the slip of the steelbook COLLECTION: always likely to be gaps in the steelbook collection because some are unlikely to make it into metal and others have already been released in steelbooks without the classic numbering on the spines that is on the equivalent Amaray releases . . .
Of course, this is not of any great importance to those people who don't keep their slips together with their steels.

- Steelbook releases for Classic Numbers 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 (1942 - 1949) UNLIKELY IMO

BUT

- Steelbook releases at some point for the following Classic Numbers LIKELY IMO :-

22. THE MANY ADVENTURES OF WINNIE THE POOH (1977) - BD release = Nov 2015
25. THE BLACK CAULDRON (1985) - No U.K. BD release yet
26. BASIL, THE GREAT MOUSE DETECTIVE (1986) - BD release = Nov 2015
29. THE RESCUERS DOWN UNDER (1990) - BD release together with THE RESUERS = Nov 2015. Solo release = ?
40. ATLANTIS, THE LOST EMPIRE (2001) - BD release Nov 2015
41. LILO & STITCH (2002) - BD releases = Mar 2014 & Nov 2015
44. HOME ON THE RANGE (2004) - BD release = Nov 2015
45. CHICKEN LITTLE (2005) - BD releases = Sep 2007 & Nov 2014
46. THE WILD (2006) - BD release = Mar 2007 & Nov 2015
47. MEET THE ROBINSONS (2007) - BD releases = Nov 2007 & Nov 2014
48. BOLT (2008) - BD releases = Jan & June 2009, Nov 2010, Oct 2011 and Nov 2014 (4 releases so far!)

Disney Numbered Classics already released as part of the Zavvi Exclusive Disney Steelbook Collection but MISSING THE CLASSIC NUMBERS on the spine of the slipcover:-
Earliest releases . . .
ALADDIN 1992 (#31)
THE JUNGLE BOOK 1967 (#19)
THE LITTLE MERMAID 1989 (#28)
FANTASIA 1940 (#3)
Recent release . . .
TREASURE PLANET 2002 (#42)
------------------
Regarding Disney NON-ANIMATED: different kettle of fish entirely with many of these titles still available for ages after release with discounted prices etc. - examples include JOHN CARTER, ALICE IN WONDERLAND (2010), INTO THE WOODS, CINDERELLA (2015), THE MUPPETS and many others.

What's funny is that lots of people are returning them and complaining and if Kimchi or FilmArena etc stuck a few cards with it, printed a booklet, slipcase and numbered it you'd all dive on a copy.

I'm holding off on this as I'm not a fan of the faces and no title but that's just my personal taste
I will wait for blufans fac
And will probably buy the uk slipcover as my viewing copy

Having just seen pics of the Blufans JUNGLE BOOK It's clear that that's how the WWA should have looked . . . instead we get a tragedy of massive proportions or rather of disproportions and ours just looks so wrong and so clunky and inelegant by comparison . . .. almost as if Bagheera is coming out of Shere Khan's ass like a turd.
images
upload_2016-11-9_17-45-33.jpeg

Last edited:
^ Yes, but that hasn't stopped it from selling out.
I was expecting this steelbook to be around long enough for price reductions and caught off-guard with this one :(

Anyway, a closer look at the steelbook in question:-

Jungle-Book-steelbook-1.jpg
Jungle-Book-steelbook-2.jpg
Jungle-Book-steelbook-3.jpg
Jungle-Book-steelbook-4.jpg

Could have been a very nice steelbook with different scaling on the covers . . . I don't mind the large scale figure inside but the outside just looks so inelegant compared to my favourite steelbook of this year . . . I do like the "Zootropolis" style spine though :thumbs:

FRONT: Finish is spot gloss (as can be seen above) - on Mowgli, Bagheera and the structures they are crouching on - with a metallic sheen on the background.
BACK: Finish is full gloss with a blue metallic sheen on the foliage.