What will become the next Holy Grail Steelbook

Bluprint

Shoeprint
Premium Supporter
Jun 7, 2012
Westside, ATL, GA
This can be impossible to predict but with small print runs and many major Steelbook giants like Play & HMV going down maybe you're holding the next Holy Grail right now. So which one of the recent Steelbooks do you predict being the next Holy Grail's?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 260
Last edited by a moderator:
I think the next one on the list to even consider is the Futureshop Harry Potter Deathly Hallows part 1 .. A recently concluded auction went for over 300$us. It's not your rambo or iron man, but It seems to be headed in that direction of the 400-500$ club very soon.

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

As for my pick, Its gonna be a bit of the obvious. The Hobbit (SG) with the limited 100 slip. Yes, I got 4 of these, but its already selling for $150 - $200. When this ebay seller sells out, I think this title will disappear from the market. You just won't be able to buy this title, because no one is dumb enough to part with theirs. 3 good reasons for this to become grail:

Who is selling it? (BUSYHUBBY)?? Seeing how it was only available to members for that GB I think it's super shady to sell it right away when there were some that weren't able to get in on it.

Last edited:
I think the next one on the list to even consider is the Futureshop Harry Potter Deathly Hallows part 1 .. A recently concluded auction went for over 300$us. It's not your rambo or iron man, but It seems to be headed in that direction of the 400-500$ club very soon.

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

Who is selling it? (BUSYHUBBY)?? Seeing how it was only available to members for that GB I think it's super shady to sell it right away when there were some that weren't able to get in on it.

Super shady? So what are trying to say? That this seller with nearly 15,000 feedback, and has a long history of selling rare and expensive Asian steels is a fraud? Consider that he's a big time steel book dealer from Singapore, this Hobbit release is from Singapore. I don't know, maybe he's got a few connections? Also you are incorrect about it only being available to GB members. If you look at the GB list, only 50 of the 2D and 3D were available to GB members. Where did the other 50 go? get my drift? As I've already stated, once this seller sold all his copies, its now disappeared from ebay, you can't even buy it. I highly suspect that if this individual gets a few more copies, he'll be listing them at a price alot closer to my definition of what a grail is. Hope you already got yours, thats all I gotta say.

Hmmm I'm not sure a slip will push something to grail status, maybe if it had exclusive cover art or embossing/debossing...
I agree the slip makes this one rare but I doubt grail status, but then again time will tell of course, I'm only basing this on the previous grails (or close grails)...then again the play.com Star Trek is highly prized :dunno:

Hmmm I'm not sure a slip will push something to grail status, maybe if it had exclusive cover art or embossing/debossing...
I agree the slip makes this one rare but I doubt grail status, but then again time will tell of course, I'm only basing this on the previous grails (or close grails)...then again the play.com Star Trek is highly prized :dunno:

Tell that to the Gladiator TW people.

Super shady? So what are trying to say? That this seller with nearly 15,000 feedback, and has a long history of selling rare and expensive Asian steels is a fraud? Consider that he's a big time steel book dealer from Singapore, this Hobbit release is from Singapore. I don't know, maybe he's got a few connections? Also you are incorrect about it only being available to GB members. If you look at the GB list, only 50 of the 2D and 3D were available to GB members. Where did the other 50 go? get my drift? As I've already stated, once this seller sold all his copies, its now disappeared from ebay, you can't even buy it. I highly suspect that if this individual gets a few more copies, he'll be listing them at a price alot closer to my definition of what a grail is. Hope you already got yours, thats all I gotta say.

no.. I am not questioning the sellers validity at all.. I am just wondering how they managed to get their hands on so many of the slip. Alex said that all copies of the slip were designed for the GB.. that is my point. Nothing more, nothing less. Maybe the seller was one that was working with Alex.. I don't know.

no.. I am not questioning the sellers validity at all.. I am just wondering how they managed to get their hands on so many of the slip. Alex said that all copies of the slip were designed for the GB.. that is my point. Nothing more, nothing less. Maybe the seller was one that was working with Alex.. I don't know.

I think you might of misunderstood what he said. Obviously, if 100 2D, and 100 3D was made, and only 50 of each was offered up on the GB, there must be another 50 of each out there right?

Reactions: thejetters
I sold my spare Hobbit 3D N3wkid exclusive the day after I received it for £100 to a member on here, and that was what, 2-3 weeks ago now? So I think this seller could've probably sold them for £150+ rather than accepting best offers on them.

As for the next grail, I am liking the look of T2 K2DVD exclusive.

As for the next grail, I am liking the look of T2 K2DVD exclusive.

Too many T2 releases and T2 2.0 is already on the top at the moment and its going to be difficult to top off a grail already there.

It's going to be a while until we see the next grail as it is going to take more time for them to become more highly sought.

Too many T2 releases and T2 2.0 is already on the top at the moment and its going to be difficult to top off a grail already there.

It's going to be a while until we see the next grail as it is going to take more time for them to become more highly sought.

There are, but none with the full slip, clean back and fan input that this one has received. Only time will tell, but for me it's this one.

I don't think we will see a grail in the true sense possibly ever again though, these days there are too many steelbooks being released and the majority of the time they share the same artwork worldwide. I wasn't collecting when IM FS was available, but I am guessing when it was there weren't many other IM1 versions available and if there were, not with the same artwork? I reckon we're looking at values of £200 tops for the new grails, not £350+ like most of them are worth now.

Back in the old days Future Shop and German releases were King :)

All had individual artwork with no slips or stickers which I refer as 'classics'.

Notable main ones were as everyone knows were for FS were:
Iron Man, I am Legend, Indy, Inglourious Basterds

Germany they were:
John Rambo, and the debossed Media Markt steels: Wanted, 1408, Death Race

Asia release were:
Le Grande Bleu
T2 2.0

The prices for FS and DE steels have not gone down, it's just that the Asian slips and stickers steels have taken the market.

With so many new releases in so many countries, and less exclusiveness in the steel, the only way to differentiate the value are the slips and stickers on each steel. All these asian steels have rocketed in price.

But the ones mentioned above have not gone down in value at all, just everything has shot up ridiculously high lol. And to meet that standard is going to take something very special to hit that mark. Some steels I can see go for around £200 in the near future. Back a few years ago they would be classed as grails. Now £200 is not even classed as a grail.

stevo, you seem to be confusing grail with high value Steelbook. In my opinion a grail is a Steelbook that nearly every collector desires, not the same Steelbook every other country got but with a bit of paper with foreign writing on. Not every expensive Steelbook is a grail.

Reactions: mlmaier84
stevo, you seem to be confusing grail with high value Steelbook. In my opinion a grail is a Steelbook that nearly every collector desires, not the same Steelbook every other country got but with a bit of paper with foreign writing on. Not every expensive Steelbook is a grail.

Desire = demand = rare = more money to acquire = expensive steelbook?

If that is your interpretation then Iron Man Play.com, CA UK and Thor UK be classed as grails in your definition?

Not slating your opinion, but to clarify the difference between value vs grail

Desire = demand = rare = more money to acquire = expensive steelbook?

If that is your interpretation then Iron Man Play.com, CA UK and Thor UK be classed as grails in your definition?

Not slating your opinion, but to clarify the difference between value vs grail

Plus, look at Thor JP and CA TW, the same artwork as the rest of the world yet the slip makes people pay in excess of £300. And yes, these 2 are grails.

Plus, look at Thor JP and CA TW, the same artwork as the rest of the world yet the slip makes people pay in excess of £300. And yes, these 2 are grails.

Like I said before, marvel steels are very strong in popularity and value. They will not go down. Iron Man Play.com, even IMO no where as good material quality as the Future Shop version (impartial opinion), is steadily rising now.

Thor and CA HMV UK's are now bidding over £100. BIN are always more than auctions and already listed for £150 BIN. I reckon these will sell for £150 by the end of the year and top off Star Trek and become the UK grail :)

I say the next grail will be Phase 2 of the Marvel Avengers releases. The only thing to slow this to be a grail is you bet studios will profit on this opportunity to make as much money as possible and there be a world wide release as always.

So it goes back to the slips and stickers. Which Asian country can make the run limited with a fancy slip? That will be the next grail IMO :scat:

Like I said before, marvel steels are very strong in popularity and value. They will not go down. Iron Man Play.com, even IMO no where as good material quality as the Future Shop version (impartial opinion), is steadily rising now.

Thor and CA HMV UK's are now bidding over £100. BIN are always more than auctions and already listed for £150 BIN. I reckon these will sell for £150 by the end of the year and top off Star Trek and become the UK grail :)

I say the next grail will be Phase 2 of the Marvel Avengers releases. The only thing to slow this to be a grail is you bet studios will profit on this opportunity to make as much money as possible and there be a world wide release as always.

So it goes back to the slips and stickers. Which Asian country can make the run limited with a fancy slip? That will be the next grail IMO :scat:

This is more in line with my way of thinking. When deciding what I'm gonna pay $100's for, I don't take it lightly. It has to be more than just "rare", its gotta to be extremely desirable. Thats why my grails are all extremely popular titles like IM and T2, and not obscure titles like LGB. Nothing against LGB, but rarity is all that its got going for it. While the superhero ones have massive blockbusters behind them, and an infinitely broader fan base.

I don't like the fact that slips and stickers are taking over either, but I now know without a doubt that these stickers and slips are extremely important. With all the worldwide releases looking the same (Django, except for FS teehee), and all the re releases (Watchmen). These stickers and slips are the only way to tell them apart.

Now having said all that, Mr. SunnyX, what do you mean when you said in the Watchmen thread that the FS version won't go down in price...yet?

Now having said all that, Mr. SunnyX, what do you mean when you said in the Watchmen thread that the FS version won't go down in price...yet?

Because I believe the glossy version is much more desirable than the matte finish. Glossy really works on that steel and feel quality is great which gives it a sense of strong metal steel as opposed to a cheap feel.

I don't think the FS will dip to silly low prices, it certainly won't go up, but I reckon it will hold steady, and for your sake as well because you have like ten :hilarious:

Well lets see if I am proved wrong :)