Official Alcohol Discussion Thread!

Jan 28, 2009
Manteca, CA
Can we get a sticky for this? :D

What do ya'll prefer to drink? Beer, Wine, Hard Liquor, Wine Coolers? All of them?

I only drink Beer and Hard Liquor. Mint Mojito is about the only thing close to a wine cooler I'll drink though LOL

sunset wheat is decent, but the two gems of their line IMO are honey weiss and 1888 bock. dont know how much yall pay for a 12 pack but its about $11 bucks here and well worth it.

6 pack was $6.98 last night. The cash from my fiance's parents for my bday, that was for beer only, went to that and the whole night.

I like Killian too. I used to go to Killian's bar before they closed it, pretty awesome place. I like wine I am just not too savy about it so I don't really buy much. I do however buy Olive Garden's Bianco Principiato and Rosso Principiato :) they are not bad at all :)

Whenever I can I get some XX (dos equis) love it!

For those of you that drink the wheat beer, especially that german one Horhay, ya'll know how your supposed to pour it right? Can't pour it all in a bottle. Gotta leave just a little bit in the bottle. Reason being is the wheat settles at the bottom. So with the little bit you got left, stir it around untill all the wheat settlement is mixed up and then pour the rest into your glass. Let it sit for a min or two and enjoy :) It has a slightly different, but better taste.

Awesome...

I'm a brewer, homebrewer that is. I make beer/cider/wine. My first and only entry into a competition was a Peach Wheat Ale that took 1st (I gotsa Gold Medal and everything) so I can say I have made a gold medal beer.

My top 3 brews are Peach Wheat Ale, Oatmeal Stout, and an Irish Red Ale - so far. They seem to get the best reactions. Although my new apple cider with lavender infusion is catching on like wildfire in my local area.

If I were to explain my oatmeal stout I would say drink a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout, and picture it slightly creamier and just a hair less bitter which gives it a more milk chocolate note. I make 4 versions of this stout according to alcoholic strength with the 4th being an imperial version that chimes in at 8% and the 1st being a very smooth drinking 3.5%ABV that was nominated world class by my local brew club. Definitely taking this one to competition.

I recently infused lavender with my apple cider (something I haven't seen documented around the web so go me) and it has taken on a whole new flavor profile so I'm going to get the exact recipe and safe guard it until I get my gold medal in competition. I'm cocky because I haven't come across a person yet who can only drink one. It chimes in at 11% and you wouldn't even know it till you were crawling on the floor to hug the toilet.

My Irish Red Ale fits the BJCP 2008 definition to a T but I haven't brewed another batch since xmas. Need to get cracking on that one.

If I had to recommend a beer I favor the belgians. I have 2 bottles remaining of Westvleteren 12. Arguably the holy grail of beers it gets my vote as I've never tasted anything so good. The nearest I could argue is the Rochefort 10.

I like all things beer for the most part. But I do have some wine background and cider background... Not hard spirits for me anymore. I have a thing for jack daniels, only he makes me wanna fight too much and Crown Royal makes me think I gotta fight for the Royal Crown.

Beersnuff

Cheers!

Awesome...

I'm a brewer, homebrewer that is. I make beer/cider/wine. My first and only entry into a competition was a Peach Wheat Ale that took 1st (I gotsa Gold Medal and everything) so I can say I have made a gold medal beer.

My top 3 brews are Peach Wheat Ale, Oatmeal Stout, and an Irish Red Ale - so far. They seem to get the best reactions. Although my new apple cider with lavender infusion is catching on like wildfire in my local area.

If I were to explain my oatmeal stout I would say drink a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout, and picture it slightly creamier and just a hair less bitter which gives it a more milk chocolate note. I make 4 versions of this stout according to alcoholic strength with the 4th being an imperial version that chimes in at 8% and the 1st being a very smooth drinking 3.5%ABV that was nominated world class by my local brew club. Definitely taking this one to competition.

I recently infused lavender with my apple cider (something I haven't seen documented around the web so go me) and it has taken on a whole new flavor profile so I'm going to get the exact recipe and safe guard it until I get my gold medal in competition. I'm cocky because I haven't come across a person yet who can only drink one. It chimes in at 11% and you wouldn't even know it till you were crawling on the floor to hug the toilet.

My Irish Red Ale fits the BJCP 2008 definition to a T but I haven't brewed another batch since xmas. Need to get cracking on that one.

If I had to recommend a beer I favor the belgians. I have 2 bottles remaining of Westvleteren 12. Arguably the holy grail of beers it gets my vote as I've never tasted anything so good. The nearest I could argue is the Rochefort 10.

I like all things beer for the most part. But I do have some wine background and cider background... Not hard spirits for me anymore. I have a thing for jack daniels, only he makes me wanna fight too much and Crown Royal makes me think I gotta fight for the Royal Crown.

Beersnuff

Cheers!

11% Cider EEK!EEK!EEK!EEK!EEK!EEK!EEK!

I may have to take a trip to your house lol and have some :p

I consider myself a beer geek. I have been brewing beer for a year now and I absolutley love it.

In my one year of brewing, Ive brewed a Witbier, Altbier, IPA, Red, Cerveza, American Cream Ale. I currently have aging a Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, Barleywine, Holiday Ale, and an Oktoberfest. I soon hope to get into all grain brewing which will cost me a few hundred to get going. Luckily the homebrew store i shop at is owned by my cousin so i get discounts.

I also buy a 6 pack of beer on a local basis. I am willing to spend what ever on them. The most I have spent was $25 on a 6 pack of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, AMAZING!!!! Ive also spent up to $10 on single 12oz bottles. I must be stupid or something lol. But really I'm a big supporter of local breweries and try to buy from breweries located in Michigan. My favorites are Founder's, Bell's, and Dark Horse.

I also go to many beer tasting events which are a lot of fun if you wanna learn about different styles. Tonight I am going to one where I will be tasting Scotch Ales. So far my favorite styles are IPA's and Stouts. But I am starting to get into Tripels.

Beer is just simply amazing to me and I will no longer drink cheap American Watered Down Lagers.

I consider myself a beer geek. I have been brewing beer for a year now and I absolutley love it.

In my one year of brewing, Ive brewed a Witbier, Altbier, IPA, Red, Cerveza, American Cream Ale. I currently have aging a Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, Barleywine, Holiday Ale, and an Oktoberfest. I soon hope to get into all grain brewing which will cost me a few hundred to get going. Luckily the homebrew store i shop at is owned by my cousin so i get discounts.

I also buy a 6 pack of beer on a local basis. I am willing to spend what ever on them. The most I have spent was $25 on a 6 pack of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, AMAZING!!!! Ive also spent up to $10 on single 12oz bottles. I must be stupid or something lol. But really I'm a big supporter of local breweries and try to buy from breweries located in Michigan. My favorites are Founder's, Bell's, and Dark Horse.

I also go to many beer tasting events which are a lot of fun if you wanna learn about different styles. Tonight I am going to one where I will be tasting Scotch Ales. So far my favorite styles are IPA's and Stouts. But I am starting to get into Tripels.

Beer is just simply amazing to me and I will no longer drink cheap American Watered Down Lagers.

If you're a german beer fan you MUST, MUST, MUST have your local store pickup Eku 28. It's expensive. $18 a 6pack here, but it is awesome.

The most I've spent on a bottle was $18, and I bought 3 of them with shipping it was $70 for 3 beers - westvleteren 12.

Totally too much money blown on 3 beers, but knowing I won't be going to belgium anytime soon it was worth it to sample the "holy grail" of beers at least 3 times. I mean, it was voted best beer in the world - isn't that enough to make your curiousity hit obsession to obtain them?

When fall comes back around I'm going to brew up my first pumpkin beer - pretty soon I'm going to work on my belgian dubbel. I'm moving to all-grain, but its in small moves as money is tight and all-grain can get pricey for good gear to work with. I have been able to do brew in a bag. Get all your grains in a muslin bag and mash it in your kettle. I've been able to do 5 gallon batches this way using batch sparging - the grain gets heavy though so be prepared to do some lifting! Efficiency takes a hit though... generally 70% or less so I end up adding 1-3lbs of light DME

yeah i forgot I brewed a Pumpkin Ale last fall. its a very good fall beer.

I dont think you spent too much for that beer. To say that you have tried it, then I think it was worth the money. Can you find it in the states? I could asked my beer guy if he has it. I will also look for the EKU 28

I just found a bottle of Gouden Carolus Carolus D'Or - Cuvée Van De Keizer from 2007 which is a Belgian Dark Strong Ale. I think I am gonna try it this weekend maybe.

yeah i forgot I brewed a Pumpkin Ale last fall. its a very good fall beer.

I dont think you spent too much for that beer. To say that you have tried it, then I think it was worth the money. Can you find it in the states? I could asked my beer guy if he has it. I will also look for the EKU 28

I just found a bottle of Gouden Carolus Carolus D'Or - Cuvée Van De Keizer from 2007 which is a Belgian Dark Strong Ale. I think I am gonna try it this weekend maybe.

Westvleteren 12 is not supposed to be allowed in the states. The fact that I was able to purchase it is forbidden by the monastery. The "only way" to obtain the beer is from the monastery gates and you have to call a telephone number to reserve it and pick it up at an exact time and you are limited to only 2 cases at a time (48 bottles). The receipt explicitly states NOT FOR RESALE. So... I got 'em off the black market and the monks really don't like me. They have even said they wish it never made it to the U.S. Oh well. The closest you can get in the states, in my opinion, is the Rochefort 10 which is around $6-7 a bottle depending where you shop.

Ask for the Eku 28 - best german beer I've ever had to date.

looks like ill have to take a trip to Belgium haha. it sounds like the most amazing beer ever. I sure would love to try it.
I will definitely ask for Rochefort 10

Last edited: