Schindler's List (Possible Blu-ray SteelBook) (Manta Lab Exclusive No.?) [Hong Kong]

Would you purchase this steelbook?

• Total voters

Aniv

Premium Supporter
Jan 6, 2015
Release date: TBA
Purchase link: TBA
Price: TBA

SchindlersList-banner.jpg

This movie is very close to my heart and I had been waiting for an exclusive premium editions since forever.

What do you guys think about this title? Maybe 2 editions.

The HDN Groupbuy if it happens will have exclusive extras.

As a bonus I will be hosting a contest for the best steelbook design. Template that can be used https://www.hidefninja.com/communit...teelbook-art-photoshop-templates-tutorial.11/ or feel free to use any template you like.

Let's give @Noodles something to think about.

A free copy #111 will be provided to the winning design if its selected for use. Must use approved art work (no fan art) and use HDN steelbook design template.

Last edited by a moderator:
there's simply not enough official imagery available to come up with anything different. If we were allowed to put our own spin on it, then we could probably get some exciting results from folks.

why dont you show us what you could come up with without offical art restristions, i for one would be intrested to see :cool:

basil :thumbs:

Reactions: Noodles
Schindler's List: Concept, Version 1.
With red being a noticable symbol in the film I wanted to sort of use that a little to make a subtle change as you can see to the title. One girl in a red coat, one letter that most looks like the number 1, signifying that in the title, and the quotation on the back, in that case the word 'one'. Of course, you will see that the hands poster is on my cover. That image is iconic in film to me, and I feel to not use it just wouldn't be right. So here's my first attempt.... three hours of listening to the John Williams soundtrack and figuring out what to do with such little official artwork. Hope people like, but of course it can be altered to have no red in the titles.

EDIT: Should have added too that I would select the background image to be the interior artwork as well.

View attachment 388910

@Aniv @Noodles @Apollon

Looks good.

With red being a noticable symbol in the film I wanted to sort of use that a little to make a subtle change as you can see to the title. One girl in a red coat, one letter that most looks like the number 1, signifying that in the title, and the quotation on the back, in that case the word 'one'. Of course, you will see that the hands poster is on my cover. That image is iconic in film to me, and I feel to not use it just wouldn't be right. So here's my first attempt.... three hours of listening to the John Williams soundtrack and figuring out what to do with such little official artwork. Hope people like, but of course it can be altered to have no red in the titles.

EDIT: Should have added too that I would select the background image to be the interior artwork as well.

View attachment 388910

@Aniv @Noodles @Apollon
Very nice mate! Only thing I'm not sure about are the red parts in the text. I completely agree with you about the hands by the way. ;)

Reactions: Fajiats
why dont you show us what you could come up with without offical art restristions, i for one would be intrested to see :cool:

I might give it a go at some point... I'm too busy designing other stuff to be doing it just for fun at the moment though.

• Thanks
Reactions: Basil

View attachment 388910
I would love this without the text on the back :thumbs::hungry:

Agreed--I'd prefer either no quote, or use a typewriter font. It's of course a good quote, but out of context on the back of a box, there's a risk of it just looking a little flippant (to me, anyway).

Also agree that the red letter doesn't seem quite right. I like the idea behind it and I completely get it, but I don't know...kind of makes the title seem more like a horror movie or something? Just doesn't quite fit. The bright red of the letter doesn't tie into the red sleeve well enough to really connect. That poster and title treatment is so well-known, I'm not sure anything can be done to alter it without it being jarring.

@TheJoker

Very nice mate! Only thing I'm not sure about are the red parts in the text. I completely agree with you about the hands by the way. ;)

Haha, well this was the thing that I wanted your opinion on last night.

Looks great joker.
Agreed--I'd prefer either no quote, or use a typewriter font. It's of course a good quote, but out of context on the back of a box, there's a risk of it just looking a little flippant (to me, anyway).

Also agree that the red letter doesn't seem quite right. I like the idea behind it and I completely get it, but I don't know...kind of makes the title seem more like a horror movie or something? Just doesn't quite fit. The bright red of the letter doesn't tie into the red sleeve well enough to really connect. That poster and title treatment is so well-known, I'm not sure anything can be done to alter it without it being jarring.

@TheJoker

Thanks peeps for the feedback. I wanted to try something that was different from every single Schindler's List release. I always knew it was going to be a risk, but if I didn't try it first of all I wouldn't know the feedback. I'll do an updated version with a regular white coloured title, and then one with text on the back in a typewriter font (which I have downloaded for this project already) and one without. I am of the thought that the one without text would be better.

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Template didnt work, got an error while applying the template actions. But here is my concept before the photoshop actions are applied:
Schindlers Liste.jpg

Not sure if back is okay, because it is selfmade (out of a screenshot of the movie) and therefore not an approved artwork. But there are not many of them, so I couldnt resist to make my own.
Hope the Hebrew is correct, had a long googlesearch for it but cant read it myself. Maybe someone can read it and confirm?!

Inside:
Innen.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice idea to add a bit of Hebrew in there. Maybe even without the English translation or make it a lenti as with CM Red Sparrow.

Reactions: jonnybobbytimmy
WIthin the "must use the hands" restriction, I noticed there are actually some variations--different balances of black and white or sepia tones. I kind of like the sepia-toned version, and it hasn't been used as much in the deluxe editions, so here's a try with that as a front cover.

The title will be embossed, and shiny gold metallic--again, I haven't seen that kind of title treatment, and it gives a more "premium" feel. The back will have the girl spot-glossed.

SL hands sm.jpg

WIthin the "must use the hands" restriction, I noticed there are actually some variations--different balances of black and white or sepia tones. I kind of like the sepia-toned version, and it hasn't been used as much in the deluxe editions, so here's a try with that as a front cover.

The title will be embossed, and shiny gold metallic. The back will have the girl spot-glossed.

View attachment 389129

Looks good too.

@ethnosax that looks great. I would actually prefer that as a slipbox with that old paper feel and If the steel was like a nice matte black of like the black artwork stuff shown earlier up bu quality steel like Rambo zavvi (not cheap matte ) with spot gloss. Would be one overall sexy edition.

• Thanks
Reactions: Basil and ethnosax
@ethnosax that looks great. I would actually prefer that as a slipbox with that old paper feel and If the steel was like a nice matte black of like the black artwork stuff shown earlier up bu quality steel like Rambo zavvi (not cheap matte ) with spot gloss. Would be one overall sexy edition.
I was thinking along those lines, too--one part of the edition in black and white, and the other part in warmer tones. It'd be too easy and obvious to make the whole edition just black and white. A little bit of earthy color would be a nice surprise and set it apart.

• Thanks
Reactions: Basil and Wreck
@Aniv with regards offical artworks can ones from book releases such as below be used?

im presuming it is an offical artwork of such just used on a books or are these not regarded offical enough?
just trying to see if can help expand artwork

61MeTlsDRtL.jpg

717NWPSCCTL.gif

The title will be embossed, and shiny gold metallic--again, I haven't seen that kind of title treatment, and it gives a more "premium" feel. The back will have the girl spot-glossed.

View attachment 389129

Really like that

A sexy Schindler’s list edition. Best thing I’ve heard all year. Never thought I’d put that in a sentence lol

(Love the finish on the first zavvi Rambo, like the U.K. drive matte area finish)

Template didnt work, but here is my concept:
View attachment 389119
Not sure if back is okay, because it is selfmade and not an approved artwork. But there are not many of them, so I couldnt resist to make my own.
Hope the Hebrew is correct, had a long googlesearch for it and cant read it myself. Maybe someone can read it and confirm?!

Inside:
View attachment 389120

View attachment 389129
Both great entries. :thumbs:

Really enjoying seeing what everyone comes up with... keep 'em coming!

Reactions: jonnybobbytimmy