Toy Story (3D + 2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive Lenticular Edition) [UK]

Strangerbyday

Premium Supporter
Jun 4, 2015
Ireland
Release date: December 23, 2016
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-orders will be live around midnight on November 24)
Price: £24.99

01.jpg

02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news for "Toy Story" film fans everywhere and as three of the very best films for children of all ages ever created I welcome re-releases of all of them as I'm sure do others who weren't around to pick these up at reasonable prices - if you want to pick these up nowadays in "New & sealed" condition be prepared to cough up 100 quid or thereabouts.

What's better about the new steelbook?
1) The second disc 3D option not found in the first steelbook.
2) There's artwork on the O-ring slip not found on the boring single colour-blocked original.

Plain O-ring/ slip on old and new:-
upload_2016-11-5_0-51-29.jpeg
upload_2016-11-5_1-46-23.png

3) A lenticular front but to tell the truth I'm nervous as hell about that and fear it's going to be a dead boring one if it's the same artwork as seen in the OP . . . clearly not an ideal image to receive the 3D treatment . . . much more potential in the design of the original steelbook front for the 3D lenticular treatment IMO and I can see why people might have issues with the artwork on the new steelbook . . . but TBH the original poster designs for the film are so poor as steelbook cover art - except for the famous one below which has unfortunately already been used as the front cover of the original steelbook - that I can only think the options must have been very limited for the decision makers if they had to settle on this design for the new one :(
Fingers crossed it's TBC artwork and they'll come up with something different for the front at the last minute.

The best out of the few original film poster designs (used as the FRONT ARTWORK on the first steelbook)

BACK ARTWORK on the new one looks very similar to the original back only slightly more open plan but the new INSIDE ARTWORK is not good when compared to the original and it looks like they've just taken the front artwork of their year-and-as-half old slipcover Amaray edition and shoved it unceremoniously inside:-

133122_large.jpg

New ....................................................................................Old
upload_2016-11-5_0-26-34.png
10851212-1381847521-967811.jpg

When all's said and done the originals are very nice and if we're going to get all three "Toy Story" films in brand spankin' new steelbooks then fingers crossed they will measure up.
Finally, no harm in having a quick butchers at the originals

Whilst I don't go along with calling it "hideous artwork" I certainly agree that they've screwed up here and picked one of the worst front covers ever - especially for a lenticular - a static image flat as a pancake with no outstretched limbs and no movement to achieve the impression of 3D on the lenti and looks to me like the title is the only bit of "artwork" that will benefit from the magic of 3D.

Truth is they've used the very same image that they used for the 2005 10th Anniversary DVD:-
31052_large.jpg

I don't know if it's written in stone anywhere that this is the confirmed artwork and again, fingers crossed, they re-consider and choose any one of these 3 below with each one making for a better lenti front (for obvious reasons):-

Last edited:
Whilst I don't go along with your "hideous artwork" tag I certainly agree that they've screwed up here and picked one of the worst front covers ever especially for a lenticular - a static image flat as a pancake with no outstretched limbs to give the 3D impression on the lenti. . . looks to me like the title is the only bit that will benefit from the magic of 3D.

I don't know if it's written in stone that that is the confirmed artwork and I repeat I hope they give us a different front image/lenticular.

Maybe this image with the outstretched arm whic just has to be better for the steelbook front / lenti with the 3D effect on Buzz's outstretched arm in the style of the Spider-Man lentis.
I stand by what I said! To say it looks like a 2 minute photoshop job, is an insult to 2 Minute photoshop jobs.
This could be achieved with cut and paste in MS Paint in ONE minute. And that is what it looks like!

Yeah- this is still a hard pass for me.
I'm neither a fan of this Steenbok design nor of the Film itself- so even if the Design on the Lenti was gorgeous and not what the front cover artwork is listed as- I'm pretty sure that I won't be picking this one up.

A bit gutted about these 'lenticular' reissues to be honest, frustrating when we are still waiting for blu ray or steelbook releases of classics such as Lilo and Stitch, Dinosaur, Basil the Great Mouse Detective, Rescuers Down Under, Beauty and the Beast the enchanted Christmas, Home on the range, Oliver and Company, Prep and Landing, Meet the Robinsons, Atlantis, Mars needs moms etc, most of which have already had blu ray releases in the states but most not here.

Let alone the awesome films that still have no blu ray release at all such as Bolt, and the Black Cauldron. I'd also be up for steels of live action Disney films such as IOI Dalmations, the Haunted Mansion, Tower of Terror and the original Muppet Movie.

If they really want to do Toy Story steelbooks give us limited edition runs of Toy Story of Terror or the Toy Story that time forgot. I'd snap those up!

• Thanks
Reactions: AlexMacOl
While the original release is far from perfect, I couldn't believe the difference between the back art compared to this. Disgustingly lazy. And enough said about that arm being cropped on the front. How do these things actually get through quality control. Forgot this was going up for pre-order, and while I have no intentions of getting one, this is going to sell out like the others have already.

So when it sells of course its getting milked. If the quality decline continues at this pace, the next few could be real stinkers. And like the last few MCU lenticular re-releases, these could get a few chuckles when the in hand pics start rolling in. And I'm only talking about how these things will look sealed. When the magnet comes off some have/ could look quite crisp. Especially Nemo.

Let alone the awesome films that still have no blu ray release at all such as Bolt, and the Black Cauldron. I'd also be up for steels of live action Disney films such as IOI Dalmations, the Haunted Mansion, Tower of Terror and the original Muppet Movie.

If they really want to do Toy Story steelbooks give us limited edition runs of Toy Story of Terror or the Toy Story that time forgot. I'd snap those up!

Its criminal how overlooked The Black Cauldron is, love the animation style.
A 2 disc Steel of Toy Story of Terror & Toy Story That Time Forgot would get bought for sure!

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: AlexMacOl