[WINNER CHOSEN] DOUBLE LENTI DARK KNIGHT BLUFANS GIVEAWAY

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Hey all,

Use this thread to chat about all things steelbook. Chat away ...

In an undetermined amount of time (when I need to submit GB addresses) I will then conduct the giveaway via random.org using the Post #s in this thread.

Your entries could be 1 (if you post 1 time) or 100 if you post 100 times.

At that time, I will figure out who wins the free DL TDK Blufans Edition. If you already bought the DL, you will get yours for free as I will refund you. ;)

I will host the giveaway LIVE on my IG by rolling the virtual dice first, if it lands on 5 then I will randomize the numbers 5 times and whatever # it lands on that post count # is the winner.

Anyone using headphones to watch stuff, especially at night. I know some of you (most?) got separate houses, so it's not even a question, but I live in an apartment, and most of the time use headphones. Of course usual ones would suck, because I want at least a simulation of surround sound, plus watching something for 3 hours in regular headphones wouldn't be comfortable. So I prefer open-air headphones, that Sony used to make - infrared wireless MDR-DS5100 and DS8000, as well as MDR-F1.
They're all OOP for 20 years, but I liked them so much, that when I saw nothing similarly good coming out, bought up all I could find on eBay from Japan (new only) around 2009-2014. $500-1000 each. Was extremely surprised and happy to see DS8000 more than 10 years after they were taken off production, but had to pay a full 1000. A few years later another guy was selling, said old new stock from an foreclosed electronics warehouse, didn't know what they were worth, sold for just $300. They still pop up, but used only, at quarter the price by now.
Anyways, DS5100 has DTS5.1 added to DS5000 model's Dolby Surround, but both are bundled with the same headphones model IF5000, while DS8000 has gyrotracking (if turned on, sound shifts, as you turn your head, as if coming from a particular place, like real front speakers - basically what Apple did, but 20 years earlier), and virtual DTS-ES 6.1, and another optical input in the base.
Still F1's are the most comfortable, but in both your ears are free and almost not being touched by anything. I don't like anything pressing on the ears, much less sticking something inside, like those various 'buds', so been watching stuff in all these since 2001. Wore out to death one wireless 5100, and two F1s, still have about 5 left, should be enough. :smashed:

NewArrivals6710.jpg

SonyInfraredHeadphonesV2.jpg

SonyInfraredHeadphonesV3.jpg

They're so 'open', you can stick a finger in there.

Reactions: jaws finatic
Anyone using headphones to watch stuff, especially at night. I know some of you (most?) got separate houses, so it's not even a question, but I live in an apartment, and most of the time use headphones. Of course usual ones would suck, because I want at least a simulation of surround sound, plus watching something for 3 hours in regular headphones wouldn't be comfortable. So I prefer open-air headphones, that Sony used to make - infrared wireless MDR-DS5100 and DS8000, as well as MDR-F1.
They're all OOP for 20 years, but I liked them so much, that when I saw nothing similarly good coming out, bought up all I could find on eBay from Japan (new only) around 2009-2014. $500-1000 each. Was extremely surprised and happy to see DS8000 more than 10 years after they were taken off production, but had to pay a full 1000. A few years later another guy was selling, said old new stock from an foreclosed electronics warehouse, didn't know what they were worth, sold for just $300. They still pop up, but used only, at quarter the price by now.
Anyways, DS5100 has DTS5.1 added to DS5000 model's Dolby Surround, but both are bundled with the same headphones model IF5000, while DS8000 has gyrotracking (if turned on, sound shifts, as you turn your head, as if coming from a particular place, like real front speakers - basically what Apple did, but 20 years earlier), and virtual DTS-ES 6.1, and another optical input in the base.
Still F1's are the most comfortable, but in both your ears are free and almost not being touched by anything. I don't like anything pressing on the ears, much less sticking something inside, like those various 'buds', so been watching stuff in all these since 2001. Wore out to death one wireless 5100, and two F1s, still have about 5 left, should be enough. :smashed:

NewArrivals6710.jpg

I had no idea this was even a thing! Thank you for the educational heads up! This surely hightens the Steelbook watching experience.

NewArrivals6710.jpg

Are they wireless? From what I understand wireless headphones don't sound as good as wired, is that correct?

Are they wireless? From what I understand wireless headphones don't sound as good as wired, is that correct?
Yes, regular wireless, especially from those years, using RF signal, sounded worse. These are unique in that the sound goes digitally through direct infrared signals to the receivers on the headset itself, with no analogue loss. The base lights up with infrared signals, firing at you, works long distance, but direct line of sight is needed. Once you leave the room, it cuts off.
20220220_221813.jpg

Reactions: Nova
Yes, regular wireless, especially from those years, using RF signal, sounded worse. These are unique in that the sound goes digitally through direct infrared signals to the receivers on the headset itself, with no analogue loss. The base lights up with infrared signals, firing at you, works long distance, but direct line of sight is needed. Once you leave the room, it cuts off.
View attachment 527435
Very interesting, I've never had a pair of over ear headphones before. Eventually I would like to make a media room for myself because apparently the volume I watch movies is too loud for my wife.

Very interesting, I've never had a pair of over ear headphones before. Eventually I would like to make a media room for myself because apparently the volume I watch movies is too loud for my wife.
They sound really good, wide enveloping surround effect, very good substitute to not bother your wife with. :thumbs:

Do any of you Ninjas have a blufans edition? I believe my lone blufans is Rogue One.
I have Force Awakens, Rogue One, Wonder Woman, and Spider-Man: Homecoming (and soon The Dark Knight) DLs. Just purchased a Blufans Monsters University steelbook with the lenti slip from someone on eBay. So, I should be adding that one soon.

Reactions: jaws finatic
They sound really good, wide enveloping surround effect, very good substitute to not bother your wife with. :thumbs:
With the headphones on can you hear someone talking to you? I assume you would since they are open, and can someone hear everything you are listening to?

Hey all,

Use this thread to chat about all things steelbook. Chat away ...

In an undetermined amount of time (when I need to submit GB addresses) I will then conduct the giveaway via random.org using the Post #s in this thread.

Your entries could be 1 (if you post 1 time) or 100 if you post 100 times.

At that time, I will figure out who wins the free DL TDK Blufans Edition. If you already bought the DL, you will get yours for free as I will refund you. ;)

I will host the giveaway LIVE on my IG by rolling the virtual dice first, if it lands on 5 then I will randomize the numbers 5 times and whatever # it lands on that post count # is the winner.
Looking forward to this one

With the headphones on can you hear someone talking to you? I assume you would since they are open, and can someone hear everything you are listening to?
If there is something loud or musical happening, you probably won't hear, especially if you're 'in the movie', got used to surround effects, some sound is as if coming from the side and behind, and someone walks up behind and starts talking to you, you'll probably be startled.
And everything you're watching can be heard by someone next to you, it's not just 'sound bleeds', it's basically everything, except for quietest sounds, but even dialogue, like coming from a tiny speaker of a tablet or something. I even put a smartphone up to the head with Shazam to check a song sometimes, works every time.
So yeah, it's not something to be used in the same room with whoever you don't want to bother.
They can be used by 2-3 people at the same time though, haven't tried more.

If there is something loud or musical happening, you probably won't hear, especially if you're 'in the movie', got used to surround effects, some sound is as if coming from the side and behind, and someone walks up behind and starts talking to you, you'll probably be startled.
And everything you're watching can be heard by someone next to you, it's not just 'sound bleeds', it's basically everything, except for quietest sounds, but even dialogue, like coming from a tiny speaker of a tablet or something. I even put a smartphone up to the head with Shazam to check a song sometimes, works every time.
So yeah, it's not something to be used in the same room with whoever you don't want to bother.
They can be used by 2-3 people at the same time though, haven't tried more.
I might have to look at some headphones, how are they connected to your TV?

I might have to look at some headphones, how are they connected to your TV?
These have 1 or 2 SPDIF optical inputs, besides basic analog stereo red&white input, which I never used. Decoders are built into the base, so it just needs raw unprocessed input, sounds best that way.
At first I used to just replug back and forth between a couple sorces, but since I had more and more outputs with years, a Sony optical selector became handy. I bought it, again, more than 20 years ago, not sure such a thing exists now, model SB-D30. It has 3 inputs of 2 types, and 2 outputs. With two inputs on the DS8000 model that covers 4 sources (TV, BD, 2 consoles). This way you can send one out of three sources to the headphones, and to a receiver for normal listening at the same time.

SonySBD30.jpg

I know noone bothers with that now, using HDMi. I personally never needed sound better, than DTS, so I don't care about any newer, uncompressed formats. Maybe if I had a proper home theater with 12 speakers...

These have 1 or 2 SPDIF optical inputs, besides basic analog stereo red&white input, which I never used. Decoders are built into the base, so it just needs raw unprocessed input, sounds best that way.
At first I used to just replug back and forth between a couple sorces, but since I had more and more outputs with years, a Sony optical selector became handy. I bought it, again, more than 20 years ago, not sure such a thing exists now, model SB-D30. It has 3 inputs of 2 types, and 2 outputs. With two inputs on the DS8000 model that covers 4 sources (TV, BD, 2 consoles). This way you can send one out of three sources to the headphones, and to a receiver for normal listening at the same time.

SonySBD30.jpg

I know noone bothers with that now, using HDMi. I personally never needed sound better, than DTS, so I don't care about any newer, uncompressed formats. Maybe if I had a proper home theater with 12 speakers...
Liked this!

I don't know if there is a page with this release I searched and couldn't find one and it's not a steelbook but looks to be a really nice edition so why not post it here.