Sony Catalog Wave (Blu-ray SteelBooks) (Future Shop Exclusive) [Canada]

Jul 20, 2012
Toronto, ON
Release date: November 23, 2014
Price: $14.99
Units: 800 per title (some exceptions)
Group Buy: Drum18 or biscuitnoir
Notes: 14 titles total, NO Inside art
Article with PICS: https://www.hidefninja.com/2014/11/16/sony-pop-art-steelbook-wave-at-futureshop/

Best Buy USA have this wave but in larger quantities.
1-7-jpg.105244

8-14-jpg.105245
Titles:
Das Boot
Desperado
District 9
Dr Strangelove
Easy Rider- 100 units only (WEB ONLY) SOLD-OUT!
Kung Fu Hustle
Leon the Professional
Snatch
Stripes- 100 Units only (WEB ONLY) SOLD-OUT!
Superbad
Taxi Driver
The Fifth Element
The Karate Kid (1984)
Tommy

Direct purchase links:
SPINE PIC
SPA21.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually like these artworks. Definitely different, but Sony put more thought into these than Universal put into their "iconic art." IMO, at least.

I'm not a fan of all the artworks but it's nice to see something different. Leon, Karate Kid and Taxi Driver are my favourites.

@zerox39 are you going to have these in-hand at some point soon (or already)? I'm wondering if Sony did anything to coordinate/align the spines, or if they're as artistically varying as the covers (which is fine either way, just curious).

This run is being made specifically for Best Buy USA, we were just lucky enough to tag on and put a sticker on our copies.
The USA will be getting 2 more titles. I only remember Raid redemption out of the 2 though

Do you know if these will have the same release date in the US? Or when we might see these pop up on the BB website?

Not entirely sure if I like this wave or not- wasnt expecting them all to be the same style of design (i.e comic book style art...)
Some of them look good (really like the Dr Strangelove design) but some of them just don't do it for me (Karate Kid being the main one..)
Not sure what you guys were expecting but I was hoping for alternative artwork, but artwork that was 'official', such as poster art/alternate movie scenes and so on. To have a total reimagining of the artwork on classic titles seems to discredit some of the art already out there. Just my own thoughts, know some of you will love this wave!

Reactions: lgans316
Love the artwork for Leon and Taxi Driver. However, the artwork for Karate Kid is Terrible! How can it not feature the Two main characters in the movie? Huge letdown!

The majority of these are really nice... tempted to get most of them, but it'll be pretty pricey to ship to the UK. :(

Some of these look really nice. My personal favs are the Leon & Taxi. Superbad & Desperado were quite a letdown..

On more serious note, I thought prices will be at $14.99? :confused:

I'm really liking this wave except karate kid, das boot so I would actually like to get the rest but far too much money especially to the UK. I'm really hoping these get released elsewhere hint hint UK

Oh boy... Dunno why these kind of artworks have been using a lot lately... Not so crazy about them ...
This wave, the Breaking Bad steels and GotG in one Week; Seem to have had a lot of alternative designs as of late. Wish distributors and designers would stick to the basics and release steelbooks that used official artwork; I'm not even talking the same pictures as we see on the amaray packs, but the amount of promotional art, poster designs, etc the studios have had to choose from before getting an artist to design his own interpretations on these films just doesn't seem right. Check the thread for the Karate Kid steelbook; Another user has posted alternate artwork including posters used for the movie- Any one of these would of looked ace...

Reactions: goufcustom
In the US we've been seeing this type of minimalist art on slips and amarays for a while so its very nice to see it on steel. This art on this wave I much prefer to the universal wave. Tho some mondo art would be even sweeter mostly cause I love those artists. However there are some definite buys in this wave for me. If price is right I might just grab the set since I dont own most on blu anyways.

Reactions: dfoles and chunk
Surely this wave will be released somewhere else as sony would not only make 800 of each . Right? Right? Right?
This was already answered on the previous page of this thread:

This run is being made specifically for Best Buy USA, we were just lucky enough to tag on and put a sticker on our copies.
The USA will be getting 2 more titles. I only remember Raid redemption out of the 2 though