The UGLIEST Blu-Ray SteelBook thread

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
This should be a fun topic ...

What is the ugliest steelbook you've come across?

Post a pic while your at it. (google search is your friend)

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

Here's my pick.
pic removed to remove thumbnail

Awesome movie, and maybe my decision to this is that the other 2 editions just looked much better. Oddly enough, its the only version of Kick Ass I even own.

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

I'm also not a fan of the Star Trek steel, I think something better could have been done with both of these.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NoDingsNoScratches
38976451_500x500_1.jpg

I generally love original poster art on steelbook, but this is one exception: This poster art looks really bad, and also doesn't say much about what the film is about.

This steel was part of a wave of classic Warner movies. I got several, and while some of them had pretty nice artwork, the image quality looked terrible. Jagged edges, washed out colours etc. Guess I'm kind of spoiled after collecting all those beautiful Eureka! (Masters of Cinema) steels.

Last edited:
I agree with you. These are terrible, but God help me, I'm gonna have to get them. I hate it when they have the blue banner across the top...

I hate that too. Even better, I've seen that on movies that aren't even in Blu-Ray! I was shopping w/ my kid in tow and grabbed one of the Studio Ghibli flics, assuming from the blue top they'd finally released on of our faves on Blu-Ray... nope, just a dvd w/ a blue strip on the top edge of the box, that just happened to be the same size and color as the usual blu-ray packaging. :angry:

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

Tough call between the plain 'Kick-Ass' cover and the Spiderman triple ugly. Gotta say the Spidey ones just don't do it for me. Fugly.

An art professor of mine once said, a big indicator of no talent bad art is "It's big, and it's red..." So yeah. Bad cover, lots of red w/ no real reason for it.

i shy away from anything that has too much text, logos, ratings printed on the steelbook....to me they're like 'amaray on steels'

and then this :

i had to hold and stare at this for a few minutes then play mind games on my self...."it's a steelbook, it's a steelbook you want this" :naughty:

I love that steelbook it's one of my Major Wants! prefer it over the WB Premium of mine.

avengers-assemble-blu-ray-steelbook-bbfc-12--142-p.jpg

Not straight up UGLY but I was horribly disappointed with Avengers release especially the U.S. release which had a single "A" on the front, nothing but the word Avengers on the spine and a pretty plain back as well. :( doesn't look good until you set it next to the other Avengers steels!

Reactions: Tchinkwe