Damaged SteelBook™ (From Retailers/Accidents) Sympathy & Venting!

Do you own a dented or damaged steelbook

• Yes

Votes: 324 91.0%
  • No

Votes: 32 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Hi All,

It looks like our former thread has become unavailable, so I am posting a new one. Feel free to post pics and share your worst experiences with damaged Steelbooks as received from retailers. I've stickied this one for now.

Thanks,
DB

Last edited by a moderator:
As some of you may know, I've been on a quest to get EVERY steelbook release for Thor: The Dark World. I've had GREAT luck in doing so until now. I ordered a copy (the MOST EXPENSIVE copy out of ALL of them) from Thailand. I've heard of U.S. customs randomly opening packages before, but it's NEVER happened to me. At least not until now...

pezu2u8e.jpg

^This is what I found when I opened the package from a fellow ninja from Thailand last night...^

agu6epy5.jpg

I guess the morons didn't realize once the plastic seal has been removed, that the steelbook will slide right out of the cardboard slip so they tore it. (Sidenote: besides the Taiwan and the Kimchi lenti, this is the best slip for the movie in my opinion. Not only is the title on the front embossed, but the characters on the back of it are as well.)

zehu2u5u.jpg

I believe this tear on the bottom was caused by them cutting into the bubble wrap to get the steelbook out.

ry7yty6a.jpg

So as consolation, I decided to salvage most of the stickers and just stick them.

Does anyone know the number/Website where I can file a complaint with U.S.customs? It's an UTTERLY RIDICULOUS concept to me that they can just open whoever's package they'd like, damage the item(s) inside and not be responsible for some kind of restitution.

I think I need to stop buying them off the bay. Here's a quick run-down of my recent Uk purchases and the damage they've had.

Oblivion - Really bad scuff on the back cover.
Skyfall - Poorly packaged, arrived with two dents. (Already posted about this)
Skyfall (again) - this time had a deep spine slash. (Already posted about this)

Elysium - arrived with a small dent to the front cover (only sent in jiffy bag).
View attachment 64603

Enders Game - Three small deep scratches on front that you can see the metal through and also bad scuff on the front.
View attachment 64601
View attachment 64602

Totting it up, only 2 out of the 5 have been damage in transit whilst the other 3 just haven't been accurately described.

When it comes to ones bought from eBay, what do you guys normally do? Are you happy with a partial refund or would you rather return it? (and get them to pay the return carriage if you can?).

I'm just waiting to hear on what the sellers of Elysium and Enders Game will do, I'm happy to keep Elysium if I can get enough of a partial refund back, but Enders Game is too damaged for me - although the photos I've taken don't quite show how bad it is.
Ouch. Sorry to hear about your damage steelbooks mate its painful seeing the beauties damaged. I gave up on ebay a few months back, its just not worth the hassle..

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

As some of you may know, I've been on a quest to get EVERY steelbook release for Thor: The Dark World. I've had GREAT luck in doing so until now. I ordered a copy (the MOST EXPENSIVE copy out of ALL of them) from Thailand. I've heard of U.S. customs randomly opening packages before, but it's NEVER happened to me. At least not until now...

pezu2u8e.jpg

^This is what I found when I opened the package from a fellow ninja from Thailand last night...^

agu6epy5.jpg

I guess the morons didn't realize once the plastic seal has been removed, that the steelbook will slide right out of the cardboard slip so they tore it. (Sidenote: besides the Taiwan and the Kimchi lenti, this is the best slip for the movie in my opinion. Not only is the title on the front embossed, but the characters on the back of it are as well.)

zehu2u5u.jpg

I believe this tear on the bottom was caused by them cutting into the bubble wrap to get the steelbook out.

ry7yty6a.jpg

So as consolation, I decided to salvage most of the stickers and just stick them.

Does anyone know the number/Website where I can file a complaint with U.S.customs? It's an UTTERLY RIDICULOUS concept to me that they can just open whoever's package they'd like, damage the item(s) inside and not be responsible for some kind of restitution.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/forms/complaint

Recently bought Kill Bill 1 & 2 Steelbook from Zavvi, the bottom of the steelbook has scuffs and scratches, the front, back and spine do not have any damage, seems to happen more when the steelbook is black, it's not visable when you put the steel on display but never the less irritating imperfections. Had a few steelbooks like this now in my time, not sure what other members do here but anything that is not minor I usually return, of course problem is some steelbooks sell out and there is no replacement.

Recently received Harry Potter 1-5 from Amazon.ca. 1 arrived in a bubble mailer, damaged and bent. Amazon.ca gave me a refund as they currently dont have stock to replace it.

2-5 Arrived in a box, but 3 & 5 have spine slashes, and 2 has a slash on the bottom (not technically a "spine" slash, but a bottom slash). I filed a complaint about 3 because the other two slashes I can live with. Amazon.ca is shipping out a replacement for 3 and gave me a partial refund on 5.

View attachment 71326

Can anyone advise if this can be fixed?
Thanks

Damn that sure looks bad, has just the metal spine plate come off or has the case split and broken?

Here are guides below, they deal with modifying steelbooks, I would find another steelbook to practice on if possible, if you have to take it apart, you will need another steelbook to complete the process as well if the case is broken.

https://www.hidefninja.com/community/threads/3500/
https://www.hidefninja.com/community/threads/3525/

Reactions: taher
Ordered the Italian Rush and it arrived with a dent and a scratch although fully sealed. Also ordered a preowned Looper. The description said like new but it was destroyed. Eventually got a full refund.

Side Effects

Traded this with a good friend, was well-packed too, but it was opened by customs (stuck in customs for 4 weeks (!!) according to the online tracking - look what they did to it):

Side_Effects_damage.jpg

They then just re-packed it and sent it on to me like this...:angry:

Last edited:
Just received vanishing point and I have just noticed that it is scratched and scuffed at the back :( unhappy chappy at the moment

Traded this with a good friend, was well-packed too, but it was opened by customs (stuck in customs for 4 weeks (!!) according to the online tracking - look what they did to it):

Side_Effects_damage.jpg

They then just re-packed it and sent it on to me like this...:angry:

That's bad...bought a Reservoir Dogs petrol can last year on ebay & they posted it in an envelope!
I only have a small dent in a german Seven Psychopaths & a inverted nipple dent on my canadian Eastern Promises (which was covered by the j card)-other than that been lucky

I ordered a copy of V For Vendetta from Zavvi (the 2500 print run) and it unfortunately arrived damaged with two dents on the bottom edge and weird scratch marks on every corner, the front & back both seem to be fine.

It's much more obvious in person than it is in the pics, but I've attached one.

A real shame because I really liked the look of it.

Attachments

• VforV.png
    VforV.png
    205.5 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
I ordered a copy of V For Vendetta from Zavvi (the 2500 print run) and it unfortunately arrived damaged with two dents on the bottom edge and weird scratch marks on every corner, the front & back both seem to be fine.

It's much more obvious in person than it is in the pics, but I've attached one.

A real shame because I really liked the look of it.

Sorry to see it arrived dented.:( The scratch marks on the corners are on all the steelbooks, it's a side effect of gloss which they call stretching.

Reactions: MrBMT
The scratch marks on the corners are on all the steelbooks, it's a side effect of gloss which they call stretching.

Ah interesting, thanks for teaching me something new :)

Edit: I've googled it since you said that and wow, it seems I was pretty lucky compared to the condition some other people received theirs in. Thankfully everything else I've ordered from Zavvi so far has arrived mint.

Last edited:
Well, I think I'm done with Zavvi. Bill & Ted still MIA. 28 Weeks Later arrived in an A1 Mailer with a very nasty dent on the back cover. I think I'm just going to file a PP Claim for both steels if Bill & Ted doesn't show by next Friday.

I was wondering, is there a damaged parts sourcing thread? Like say I've got a steelbook with a dinged up front but the back is fine, and someone else has the opposite. Assuming one of us was able to get it replaced by the vendor, and now has an extra laying around, we could swap so the other gets an undamaged front and back, and puts them together for 1 damage free steelbook.

Reactions: Lutzo and nicblue
They`ll never learn it:angry:

I bet a lot of People didn`t mind paying more and getting a better Packaging:thumbs:

I second that notion, however it's not as if we don't pay enough for our steelbooks as it is. You'd think for £19.99 a piece, even with a discount code it's pricey enough to properly package the item at no extra cost. Did that happen with Play.com and their £9.99 SB's?

Those days have gone, but it doesn't mean we should allow it.

Reactions: harry and Flip
Status
Not open for further replies.