Damaged SteelBook™ (From Retailers/Accidents) Sympathy & Venting!

Do you own a dented or damaged steelbook

• Yes

Votes: 324 91.0%
  • No

Votes: 32 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Hi All,

It looks like our former thread has become unavailable, so I am posting a new one. Feel free to post pics and share your worst experiences with damaged Steelbooks as received from retailers. I've stickied this one for now.

Thanks,
DB

Last edited by a moderator:
can anyone help with regards to my earlier post about damage from amazon.com, i put in a report about my damaged item to which amazon will send me out a replacement one free of charge but require the damaged one back, can i claim the postage charge back as i think it is unfair i have to pay about £10 / $10 to send a damaged item back that shouldn't have been like that anyway due to probably the worst packaging of an item i have ever recieved, the parcel was unsealed at either end and open at one end

can anyone help with regards to my earlier post about damage from amazon.com, i put in a report about my damaged item to which amazon will send me out a replacement one free of charge but require the damaged one back, can i claim the postage charge back as i think it is unfair i have to pay about £10 / $10 to send a damaged item back that shouldn't have been like that anyway due to probably the worst packaging of an item i have ever recieved, the parcel was unsealed at either end and open at one end

I don't see why you couldn't ask them to reimburse postage costs. It isn't your fault that Amazon incompetently packaged the item, especially since Amazon.com charge you extra for posting overseas.

after reporting my damaged item amazon.com on the 17th, i recieved my replacement copy today in a bubble wrapped envelope, thankfully when i opened it is was perfectly fine except a small scratch on the underside which wouldn't be seen anyway

The inner plastic section of my Terminator Salvation UK is a little wobbly, I'm a bit heavy handed and worried about causing further damage messing about with it.

Is there a simple fix that I have overlooked?

At the minute, I have an on-going saga trying to get hold of a non-damaged copy of the UK Amazon Skyfall steelbook.

Bought one off eBay two weeks ago and was very disappointed to see it arrive in a brown paper envelope! But before I slate the seller, they were kind enough to put it in two paper envelopes, not just one :( As soon as I saw it, I knew it'd be a miracle if it'd arrived 'like new', well obviously it didn't. Surprisingly though the damage wasn't too bad considering it'd had no protection. Just two slight dents on the reverse side. (see photo: capture.png - don't know how to put them in line with the text yet)

attachment.php

The seller didn't apologise for the poor packaging but offered a full refund inc. return postage or a £2.50 partial refund (taking the steelbook to £9.30), I opted for the partial refund because CEX should give trade of £14 and I often pick bits up in there.

So, left that as it was, carried on my search and managed to find another which arrived yesterday, double jiffy bagged (much better). First - no dents :thumbs:, unfortunately though, quite a defined spine slash :( (See photo.jpg).

attachment.php

Remembering a video I saw a few days ago on putting custom artwork in the back I thought I'd attempt taking the steelbooks apart to cobble together a near perfect one. Very easily I managed to get the rear plates off and have swapped them over to have a near perfect copy for myself. That's thanks to the forum as I wouldn't have risked taking them off otherwise.

Although my wife doesn't understand the glory of steelbooks, she at least understood my frustration of receiving two in that were both damaged.

Sorry if I've waffled on a bit, it's good to vent.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    189.9 KB · Views: 132
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Reactions: HUBMUSWELL
The end is near...

•Picked up the hunger games 1&2 in store after work.
•They had tons of catching fire but only a few copies of Hunger games. a few reserved for in store pick up They let me look through them: One had a vertical spine slash...one had BB's famous black scuffs on katniss's face & one had a scratch on front.

I picked the copy that looked mint. I opened it in store and found scratches front & back under the j card of HG

They didn't have anything to replace it with so I had to take it. • I brought the imperfections to their attention and they were like "sorry nothing we can do :movie: "......

:angry: ......pic....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
I got the gravity steel from amazon uk and it has a dent on it,I have never had an item replaced from them so I wanted to know if they will replace it for me even though I have opened it

I got the gravity steel from amazon uk and it has a dent on it,I have never had an item replaced from them so I wanted to know if they will replace it for me even though I have opened it

Amazon's replacement policy is really awesome. They will send you another one if you say the item was damaged but not the shipping box. Amazon UK is sending me another serpico and even told me to keep my original one because shipping would cost too much to send it back.

In the past I've had amazon send me two more copies of steelbooks before they said enough is enough and refunded me lol

Reactions: T800kaz
Really frustrated by a latest pick-up from an Amazon seller described as very good condition with a ding on the front and a paint chip on the side. Tried to fix it myself for the first time so I watched a tutorial on YouTube and I just dug myself a bigger hole when I dented it again :angry:

1zy935z.jpg

And the result of trying to amend it...
2d9ojvd.jpg

You live and learn I guess.

Sorry that the Steel is damaged mate. I had a mint copy in the classifieds at cost price for nearly 5 months. There was not even a single buyer here. Finally decided to open and gloss it. Now it will stay in my collection unless I change my mind.

I feel you smiley. I've done the same thing and went and tried to 'fix' something on a steel and messed it up even more lol. You can take a part steels without damaging them but you need to practice a lot first on a cheap steel. Did you use a credit card? I found the best thing to use is a guitar pick

I feel you smiley. I've done the same thing and went and tried to 'fix' something on a steel and messed it up even more lol. You can take a part steels without damaging them but you need to practice a lot first on a cheap steel. Did you use a credit card? I found the best thing to use is a guitar pick

Try not to laugh at me here, but I used a screwdriver :emb:

I used it because it has a blunt surface and less likely to scratch the metal. It must be intense for those (call them Steelbook surgeons) who make customs and have to do this 24/7.

I bought a Ratatouille steelbook from Amazon about a year ago and it was so badly destroyed, the whole thing was falling apart. There was a huge dent on the back, it looked like a little kid used it as a trampoline. Thankfully I was able to get a refund.

I think I need to stop buying them off the bay. Here's a quick run-down of my recent Uk purchases and the damage they've had.

Oblivion - Really bad scuff on the back cover.
Skyfall - Poorly packaged, arrived with two dents. (Already posted about this)
Skyfall (again) - this time had a deep spine slash. (Already posted about this)

Elysium - arrived with a small dent to the front cover (only sent in jiffy bag).
photo.JPG

Enders Game - Three small deep scratches on front that you can see the metal through and also bad scuff on the front.
photo 1.jpg

photo 2.JPG

Totting it up, only 2 out of the 5 have been damage in transit whilst the other 3 just haven't been accurately described.

When it comes to ones bought from eBay, what do you guys normally do? Are you happy with a partial refund or would you rather return it? (and get them to pay the return carriage if you can?).

I'm just waiting to hear on what the sellers of Elysium and Enders Game will do, I'm happy to keep Elysium if I can get enough of a partial refund back, but Enders Game is too damaged for me - although the photos I've taken don't quite show how bad it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.