Damaged SteelBook™ (From Retailers/Accidents) Sympathy & Venting!

Do you own a dented or damaged steelbook

• Yes

Votes: 324 91.0%
  • No

Votes: 32 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Hi All,

It looks like our former thread has become unavailable, so I am posting a new one. Feel free to post pics and share your worst experiences with damaged Steelbooks as received from retailers. I've stickied this one for now.

Thanks,
DB

Last edited by a moderator:
Chunk - the way Iissee it is that the seller will probably be a decent profit if you paid around the current going so for them to skimp and send in a jiffy bag for the sake of saving £3 I would say they were only thinking of themselves during that whole transaction.

It only costs £4.10 1st class recorded in a decent sized box and, even if they didn't offer that postage option, most people would have done the decent thing and packaged it accordingly.

Therefore I wouldn't have too much sympathy for them and would suggest you raise the claim against them. It is their duty to get the item to you as sold, so any issues that occur during posting are for the seller to pick up with the courier. Sucks for the seller but that's the rules. So they would need to refund you straight away and deal with all that themselves.

Hope you get it sorted without too much stress bud ;)

Thanks Zoneism, I agree that when a SB sent in the post the seller should take into consideration the cost of packaging the sb well and applying that to their asking fee. I sold transformers SB (around the same time I bought iron man) on ebay, new and sealed for a buy it now price of £5.99 with £2.50 p&p and I sent it first class, bubble wrapped and 3 layers of that foam stuff and then in a box, all that for a £5.99 sell, and the guy who sent a expensive collectable in a jiffy bag says they are a collector:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Almost cried when I opened the jiffy bag and saw the end of iron man staring at me..

does you good to vent, thanks everyone for listening to me, I'm feeling a bit better now:thumbs:

U can always open a case. If steel was damage and u can see before u unsealed its fair open a case. If damage was under j-card its bad luck. Seller should know if steel was damage on transit then hi always get refund from royal mail (up to 50£) .

Reactions: chunk
Just open a case with paypal mate doesnt matter if you have opened it or not if its turned up damaged its his fault

Sorry but i have to disagree, if its sold as new and sealed and then you open it, its not fair on the seller to expect them to take an open steelbook back. You should never of opened it then you could of got a refund. What about manufacture defects unfder the wrap? would you expect a refund after you opened it and found the defect? I know it was damaged in the post but once you opened it my view is that you have no right to expect a seller to give you any sort of refund.

Just open a case with paypal mate doesnt matter if you have opened it or not if its turned up damaged its his fault

Thanks Ben
I guess I could try, they can only say no so I've got nothing to lose.
When I opened it I knew I could live with the little ding on the front as long as the back was ok, but I didn't know the back was gonna be so bad. Nothing to do with the seller, but the spine is not centered either:hilarious: its all the way over to the right. Poor SB, thats one more for the out of action iron man steels, I guess the more that get damaged the more valuable the rest will become:hilarious:

People are very supportive here, its appreciated.
I've seen pics of a lot of damaged steels that members have shown.. my heart always goes out to them.. its nice sometimes to be outraged together. My non collecting friends don't really get it!:D-)

This is why i only buy from ebay sellers who know what they are doing - u can tell buy how much effort & info they put into the listing.... i nevr buy from those 1 line ebay mobile type sellers

...anyway, sorry 4 your loss bro :(

Thank you:thumbs:

You're right, I usually bypass the one liners too, if a seller bothers to write a whole paragraph on packaging you know they know what they're doing:scat: when I bought wir, the seller sent it in two different packages, one with the SB and the other with the sticker sheet in a cardboard backed photo envolope at his own expense.. awesome seller.. There really are some great sellers out there.
they should have a name and shame section in the ebay thread lol

Reactions: SaberTooth
Sorry but i have to disagree, if its sold as new and sealed and then you open it, its not fair on the seller to expect them to take an open steelbook back. You should never of opened it then you could of got a refund. What about manufacture defects unfder the wrap? would you expect a refund after you opened it and found the defect? I know it was damaged in the post but once you opened it my view is that you have no right to expect a seller to give you any sort of refund.

He posted it in a Jiffy bag, nothing else. He deserves everything he gets for trying to screw buyers with substandard selling practices.

He posted it in a Jiffy bag, nothing else. He deserves everything he gets for trying to screw buyers with substandard selling practices.

I would agree if the steelbook hadnt been opened. I just think if a steelbook turns up damaged you message the seller and let them know you are opening a case as the steelbook isnt as described. I dont think you should open it if you dont want it. By opening it you are accepting the damage you have seen and the damage under the wrap that can not be seen isnt really down to the seller as they couldnt of seen it either. :thumbs: just my opinion

I would agree if the steelbook hadnt been opened. I just think if a steelbook turns up damaged you message the seller and let them know you are opening a case as the steelbook isnt as described. I dont think you should open it if you dont want it. By opening it you are accepting the damage you have seen and the damage under the wrap that can not be seen isnt really down to the seller as they couldnt of seen it either. :thumbs: just my opinion

All online purchases are covered under the sale of goods act
All product must be as advertised and not be faulty
If any product it listed as new that is what you must get (Goods must be as described and cannot be misleading when its been described)
If any damage is noticed after opening you still are covered by the sale of goods act
Goods must be of merchantable quality and be as described

All ebay sellers must comply with sale of goods act
Its also illegal to say no refunds or no returns allowed if goods are faulty
(unless clearly described as faulty in its description for sale and buyer clearly was told about the exact fault or faults by the seller before buyer paying for it)

Steelbook arrived damaged was advertised as new sealed
Goods are not of merchantable quality as in the steelbook is faulty
Chunk by law is entitled to a refund or replacement (new) or repair

If any product is not new and has damage it must be advertised that it has damage and exact condition must be told to customer before money is exchanged

Remember by law you have the same rights as all Consumers under sale of goods act and this applies to online selling

All ebay sellers are required by law to comply with the sale of goods act
It is the responsibility of a seller or a shop to supply goods as advertised and its there responsibility item sold arrives not faulty (must be of merchantable quality) and if any purchase sold is faulty and customer was not informed before payment of a fault by law customer must be offered a refund or replacement

Any damage that happens during transit by postal system is not an excuse the seller is responsible to make sure item sold is delivered to the buyer in perfect condition (contract of sale is between seller and buyer)

Chunk
Ebay/Paypal must refund you if the seller does not as per eBay Buyer Protection Policy
http://pages.ebay.com/buyerprotection/buyerFAQ/

Last edited:
As harsh as it may sound to the seller, Paul makes the point very well which I was eluding to earlier. The sales of goods act really favours the buyer, especially when regarding major retailers, and all sellers should be very aware of the detail because even if you think a buyer is trying it on the seller would still have to comply with the laws.

In Chunks case it highlights that he can indeed make a claim and that ebay would probably step in if the seller didn't make a refund. The seller would then need to deal with the postal service for compensation if they felt any damage occurred in transit.

It also highlights how easy it is for a buyer to get away with 'trying it on' if they so chose.

Unfortunately it's a risk all sellers take but the law is in place to help people in Chunks predicament and will always favour the buyer.

Bought Play's Iron Man from ebay few weeks back, new/sealed but the idiot seller put it in the flimsiest jiffy bag they could find and of course it arrived damaged:angry: I was so annoyed, it had a small ding on the front so I didn't open it and contacted the seller for a return and refund as it was their fault for putting an expensive fragile collectable through royal mail in a jiffy in the first place.. the seller refused to refund me and said it was in perfect condition when sent so its royal mails fault:angry: I kept it and a few days ago I unsealed it to see what damage was on the back of the SB, a nice 2inch dent right across/through iron mans head. Could not be more disappointed:( I have waited so long to buy this cos of the price and I finally get my hands on a new/sealed copy and the :ass: sends it in a jiffy

Really is a great looking steel, was gonna buy iron man 2 next but I feel like I don't really have the first one as its dented, need to buy it again but it was hard enough justifying the first purchase let alone buying another one:(

Lets see the damage get some pictures up Theres every chance they could be made to go away ;)

Reactions: NoDingsNoScratches
I hope this isn't off topic at all, but all this talk about posting steels in jiffy bags has got me thinking.

EBayers do this all the time! I pack sold steelbooks in jiffy bags, but for protection I place the seldom steelbook inside another tightly packed bubble wrap bag or a few cardboard sleeves and occasionally a few polystyrene chips for good measure. And this however is quite costly, so I don't blame Play.com/Amazon sellers for not doing this. It truly is ridiculous having to fork out as much as £4.10 for properly, slightly overpacking a steelbook (better over than under, right?).

Dents can easily be avoided this way. Sellers just hope for the best, I however would not risk such thing with a rare SB that is not so easy to replace.

Last edited:
I've tried Steelbook repair also. I practiced first with a Knife Tip, on a G1 Sukyaki Western Django Steelbook I got from Amazon. I ordered on accident as a rookie I didn't even know it was G1. Skip to a year later Zavvi sends me a Back-Scratched I,Robot. I cried about it, so they send me a Replacment copy Which had a spine slash and a front-scratch. Perfect. Desperatly & w/No fear, I pulled out my bowie knife & I Gutted old G1 Django. After Enough practicing, I popped the back off the Original & Replacment copies of I,Robot, & swapped them. I ended up with one perfect Steelbook & one real jacked up one lol

got the 3 lord of the rings from amazon.com 2 of which are perfectly fine but the fellowship is damaged in two places on the front, the plastic casing on the inside has split which i think has caused the left hand dent and there is a thumb print sized dent on the right hand of the front cover, kinda of thinking it will cost more to send it back and i may get the same problem as the packaging was not very good at all just a bit of cardboard wrapped round the discs without any padding or inner protection, also the box was open when it arrived which was dissappointing

got the 3 lord of the rings from amazon.com 2 of which are perfectly fine but the fellowship is damaged in two places on the front, the plastic casing on the inside has split which i think has caused the left hand dent and there is a thumb print sized dent on the right hand of the front cover, kinda of thinking it will cost more to send it back and i may get the same problem as the packaging was not very good at all just a bit of cardboard wrapped round the discs without any padding or inner protection, also the box was open when it arrived which was dissappointing

Most of the time Amazon will replace it and let you keep the damaged one. They will tell you that it would be not cost-effective to send it back. Especially if it's completely ruined. Chat with one of the reps and let them know how damaged it is. Also with the chat you might be able to talk them into better packaging. It's worth a shot.

Most of the time Amazon will replace it and let you keep the damaged one. They will tell you that it would be not cost-effective to send it back. Especially if it's completely ruined. Chat with one of the reps and let them know how damaged it is. Also with the chat you might be able to talk them into better packaging. It's worth a shot.

put in a report about this being damaged, seems like they will be sending me a replacement one but they have asked for the damaged one back, not sure if i should send this back before or after i have recieved my replacement ? :(

Today I'll stop collecting steelbooks. I am fed up with all the damaged steelbooks I receive. today I received my Riddick steelbook from the GB. Even that one comes with a large scratch.
Over 50% of steelbooks I receive these days are damaged. Not only from sellers on this forum or Ebay, but also from Zavvi en Amazon.

There's no more fun in collecting steelbooks :angry:

Riddick.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NoDingsNoScratches
Status
Not open for further replies.