Medal of Honor Megathread

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
MedalOfHonorE3.png

Electronic Arts' reboot of the Medal of Honor series will be out this October, the publisher announced this morning.

The game, set in Afghanistan and with a realistic slant, will be out in the US on October 12. And Europe October 15.

Medal of Honor, the first game in the series to not take place between 1939-1945, looks set to fill a gap in the shooter market left vacant by Modern Warfare 2, when the latter tripped the light fantastic and became a Tom Clancy wet dream. It'll feature sand, terrorists being kicked out of windows, and beards. Magnificent beards.

PS3 EXCLUSIVE Deal:

Buy Medal of Honor PS3 and get Medal of Honor: Frontline FREE!

MedalOfHonorE3-1.png

E3 Screens:

MedalOfHonorE3-2.png

MedalOfHonorE3-3.png

MedalOfHonorE3-4.png

MedalOfHonorE3-5.png

MedalOfHonorE3-6.png

MedalOfHonorE3-7.png

MedalOfHonorE3-8.png

MedalOfHonorE3-9.png

MedalOfHonorE3-10.png

MedalOfHonorE3-11.png

MedalOfHonorE3-12.png

MedalOfHonorE3-13.png

MedalOfHonorE3-14.png

MedalOfHonorE3-15.png

MedalOfHonorE3-16.png

MedalOfHonorE3-17.png

MedalOfHonorE3-18.png

MedalOfHonorE3-19.png

MedalOfHonorE3-20.png

MedalOfHonorE3-21.png

MedalOfHonorE3-22.png

MedalOfHonorE3-23.png

MedalOfHonorE3-24.png

MedalOfHonorE3-25.png

MedalOfHonorE3-26.png

MedalOfHonorE3-27.png

MedalOfHonorE3-28.png

Trailers:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gZAWyBgBks0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gZAWyBgBks0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<script src="http://player.ooyala.com/player.js?embedCode=FtOXRkMToqM3H-U0UXlUTjutoQqVMIpm&deepLinkEmbedCode=FtOXRkMToqM3H-U0UXlUTjutoQqVMIpm"></script>

<embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9/102195605001?isVid=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=275322058001&playerID=102195605001&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R2VpdI1ILDw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R2VpdI1ILDw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dvB0sjG6ECw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dvB0sjG6ECw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JtfzvKRSTWM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JtfzvKRSTWM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uMiR7bGPHfE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uMiR7bGPHfE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Attachments

• moh.jpg
    moh.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 390
Last edited by a moderator:
CVG Review: 8.5/10

On Xbox Live and PSN, two Superpowers are fighting it out for supremacy in the online warfare theatre. But which one is winning the battle for new recruits - Battlefield or Call of Duty?

Well, in truth, they're not even fighting the same war. Although superficially similar, both series are drastically different once you scratch beneath the surface, and so are the people who enjoy them.

Call Of Duty is bold and brash, the shooter of choice for the archetypical frat boy. The kleptomaniac structure of CoD's perk system rewards aggression, bravery and above all things, self-preservation.

On the other end of the spectrum, Battlefield is the thinking soldier's playground. Rounds can last for hours rather than minutes, teamwork is essential, and the destructible landscape makes fleetness of thought a more powerful weapon than anything you can carry in a backpack.

But is there any room for middle ground between these two extremes? Medal of Honor's multiplayer makes us think that maybe there is. This is the fast-paced skirmish gameplay of Call of Duty viewed through the lens of Battlefield devs DICE. But it's no shoddy cover version; instead, it's an accomplished, confident online shooter that draws from the best of both worlds.

Running off a modified version of Battlefield's Frostbyte engine, Medal of Honor's multiplayer component has an instantly familiar feel to it, bar a few concessions to accommodate the tighter level spaces (the ability to demolish entire buildings is the biggest absentee, although in certain instances it's still possible to chip away at cover to leave an opponent exposed).

One thing that DICE has carried over extremely well from the Battlefield series is the organic feel of the map layouts. While Call of Duty's arrangement of crates and rocks are laid out in meticulous detail, there's a natural spontaneity to MoH's battlegrounds, which results in a wonderful sense of subversion once you learn how to exploit your surroundings.

This is true of both the smaller maps (such as Kabul City Ruins, where with a bit of practise you can bound from rooftop to rooftop without ever needing to touch the floor) to more expansive stages such as the Shahi-Kot Mountain Range.

From the Call of Duty side of the gene pool, Medal of Honor has inherited the volume. Explosions are loud and proud and you can practically feel the splash damage gushing into your living room, meaning you're constantly surging around the course on a wave of adrenaline.

HEAVY MEDAL
If anything though, it isn't quite loud enough - DICE have eschewed Call of Duty's booming CONGRATS YOU HAVE UNLOCKED A SILENCER method of communication in favour of a more restrained HUD, but this can make it difficult to tell when you've racked up a high enough score to deploy the Support Actions.

It's a minor annoyance, but one that can be overlooked with experience. Is MoH's multiplayer innovative? No. Is it without flaws? Most definitely not - the most painful of which is its incredibly erratic respawning system. But what it does bring to the table is a well-crafted, balanced shooter that's kinder to newcomers at the point of entry than CoD or Battlefield.

In particular, its biggest triumphs are the storyline-driven Combat Missions, where teams of 12 duke it out in epic battles that sweep across the Afghan terrain. We're big fans of Battlefield's equivalent Rush mode, but we appreciate that the patience and teamwork required makes it difficult to get into unless you're playing with a squadron of friends.

But since Medal of Honor speaks a more accessible run-and-gun language, this a far easier game type to dip in and out of, opening to the masses a Deathmatch variant that has a sense of progression and drama that you don't always see in shooters of this ilk. Call of Duty stick-in-the- muds owe it to themselves to try it.

SO TIER AND YET SO FAR
So we've fallen big time for Medal of Honor's multiplayer, but as far as the single-player campaign goes? Well, we don't want to say it's a game of two halves... but in truth, it really is. The story mode, which divides its attentions between the adventures of a close-knit team of Tier 1 Operatives working behind enemy lines and the 'everyman' tales of the standard army forces on the frontline, never quite comes together as we hoped it might.

It's hard to pin down why exactly, because the only area of the game that is noticeably substandard is the AI, and even this can be turned around to your enjoyment (breaking cover to plunge a knife into an insurgent's throat from 20 yards away is a particularly irresistible head rush).

Perhaps it's the Afghan setting, which delivers more variety than you'd credit it for, but ultimately makes for a lacklustre theatre of war in FPS terms.

The wide-open landscapes mean that many fights take place at a disengagingly large distance, and this makes it difficult for Medal of Honor to get any sense of tension rolling.

TIERS FOR FEARS
But there are moments where Medal of Honor lets its hair down and delivers the kind of thrills and spills we've come to expect from the genre. The Tier 1 Operative stages see Danger Close at
their most creative, with death-defying raids on enemy settlements that bring to mind classic levels such as Call of Duty 4's Ghillies In The Mist.

But although it often sets up interesting scenarios, in our opinion the game doesn't take the Tier 1 set-up far enough. Pre-release, we were told of these elite soldiers' ability to improvise their gameplan in the face of adversity, but this doesn't translate into any kind of gameplay mechanic.

Levels remain linear and scripted, and it's disappointing that there aren't more opportunities to think outside the box. A spot of co-op would also have been welcome too - perhaps that's one for the sequel, though.

Like Battlefield before it, Medal of Honor is an engrossing online shooter with an above-average campaign mode bolted on. As a result, it's a purchase you should only seriously consider if your console is hooked up to the intarwebs. On a wider scale though, this reboot thrusts Medal of Honor back into the spotlight, and for the first time in ages we can't wait to see where EA take the series next.

It's not on Call of Duty's level yet, but it's a positive step forward, and small victories eventually win big wars.

Wtf? How they gonna complain about the spawn system? It wasn't erratic from when I played 3 months ago. MW2's spawn system is erratic. Having the guy you just killed or got killed by spawn right around the corner is stupid.

Anyways, can't wait for tomorrow! :oohyeah:

Actually I plan on getting this, atleast one copy and maybe 2 if the ol' lady enjoys it. I never played the beta so I hope its good.

ok its official like a referees whistle ... I just pre-ordered with release date delivery being free YEAH!!!! and .... got the $20 credit ... jeez, seems like everyone should get this with that type of deal seeing as how you can put the $20 to Black Ops.

On a side note, I just went ahead and pre-ordered Ghost Recon too even though its a like forever away ... it had another gift card credit for video games and seeing as how they yanked the black ops one long ago I figured what the hell might as well pre-order early and keep that in my box ... if some other retailer offers soemthing better I can cancel later. But I will have Ghost Recon day 1 ... unless the demo is the worst peice of garbage ever :(

ok its official like a referees whistle ... I just pre-ordered with release date delivery being free YEAH!!!! and .... got the $20 credit ... jeez, seems like everyone should get this with that type of deal seeing as how you can put the $20 to Black Ops.

On a side note, I just went ahead and pre-ordered Ghost Recon too even though its a like forever away ... it had another gift card credit for video games and seeing as how they yanked the black ops one long ago I figured what the hell might as well pre-order early and keep that in my box ... if some other retailer offers soemthing better I can cancel later. But I will have Ghost Recon day 1 ... unless the demo is the worst peice of garbage ever :(

Nice!! :scat: I might go at mid night and get my ball and chain a copy..:p

I just posted a big notice on main page of forums; I'll take it off tomorrow. But hey, it gets the word out there! :)

she'll play it, and if she likes it she'll get it. Though she is hard to please if its not battlefield.

Entering the first person shooter genre nowadays is a very difficult task what with the likes of powerhouses such as Call of Duty, Halo and Battlefield. EA however have taken this risk with developing Medal of Honor, but does it pay off? In many respects yes it does, but in others it maybe not.

Medal of Honor (2010) is definitely a game of two halves, so this is how I'm going to treat it. The single player campaign is based around a tight squad of Tier-1 operators in Afghanistan on the front lines fighting against the Taliban. As you play through the game, you'll gain a great feel for the characters and setting, much as you'd expect if you've played any past Medal Of Honor titles.

The setting and visuals for the singleplayer are absolutely gorgeous - what you might expect from a shooter hitting shop shelves in 2010. Sometimes the landscape and map can seem too vast and too open, leading to several "mini-battles" happening between AI's, which can cause you to get shot from somewhere you might think is in the distance but it is actually not. Bearing this in mind you have to play the game extremely carefully and strategically if you want to make it through.
The level design is top notch throughout and well thought out. If you're not sneaking round with a sniper rifle you're racing around on a quad bike or even controlling air support to destroy a village. The game really does offer a large amount of variety in so many ways which ensures you'll enjoy every step of your journey as a Tier 1. With the added level specific achievements/trophies you could spend even longer aiming for these; of which thankfully don't feel like a chore at all, but instead a lot of fun.

moh1

Despite the well thought out level design, the game is fairly linear. You're always given one path to go round and very rarely are you given the option to properly flank, or use various forms of strategy. Instead the game makes more use of your superior firepower to muscle your way through, which at times can lead to some repetitive stages of the game. Another problem is that because the game's singleplayer is of great contrast from its multiplayer, the time you spend on the campaign will not provide you with any real skills or experience with the mechanics of the multiplayer, as it's almost a completely different game.

Despite some of its flaws the single player half of the game provides a good length campaign with a lot of enjoyable experiences to take away with it. If you don't mind having some repetition every now and again you'll enjoy the campaign and possibly even want to play it through again after completion. Not to forget the "Tier 1" Campaign Mode offers the same campaign but with extremely tough difficulty and timed conditions! It's certainly a challenge but feels rewarding at the end of it.

moh2

The multiplayer is developed by Battlefield veterans DICE using a modified version of the Frostbite engine, used in Bad Company 2 - the most recent Battlefield game. As i said before the single player portion of the game will not help you with the multiplayer, but playing Bad Company 2 might! Having said this Medal Of Honor's multiplayer does play differently to the Battlefield series on multiple levels.

There is no real destruction, like that seen in BC2, instead you're able to pick away at certain weaker cover objects to expose your enemy. Even though the Frostbite engine has the capabilities of some fantastic destruction, it wouldn't have really worked here. Having smaller maps is one thing but having destruction would literally cause the map to be full of debris, as opposed to the specifically placed cover, which would simply wreck the game.
The sound in Medal Of Honor is second to none in my opinion, when you enter a multiplayermatch you'll start to hear the absolutely amazing gun fire and explosion sounds. They truly make the game feel authentic and immersive as if you're in a real war-zone.

moh3
The 'killchain' system in the game is actually very well thought out - you receive points for your kills, such as 10 for a standard kill or 15 for a headshot, with specific types of kills offering bonus points. These then add up to a pool of points, instead of having to reach a certain amount of kills for a killstreak you can get smarter kills and hit the thresholds earlier. Every point you hit will give you an option between an offensive or defensive killstreak i.e a mortar strike or UAV, which can be called in at your own will, so for example if you're being pushed back then you may use UAV whereas if you're on the offensive you might use your mortar strike.

The game offers multiple gamemodes but the stand out is certainly the Combat Missionmode. Although you have the regular Deathmatch and Domination style modes, Combat Mission tasks each team with either an attack or defend objective - much like that seen in Battlefield's Rush mode. However the difference is that the experience is extremely intense and focused. Attacking objectives vary from planting a bomb to simply capturing a point. As each objective is complete the map opens up further and the battle literally moves forward. Allowing players to spawn at a random teammate on the frontline consistently maintains that feeling of 'pushing up' the battlefield.

Overall Medal of Honor doesn't really offer anything new or innovative, and does have it's flaws, it does a lot of things right. Having a good looking balanced shooter with extremely well made maps is guaranteed to provide a good time. Even though it's not a Call of Duty beater it is a solid game which will give you many hours of enjoyment.

Medal Of Honor gets an official Game-Pad: 8.8/10

well, I just pre-ordered impulsively. $20 dollar credit did it and if it sucks I can try and sell it. It's difficult to tell how it is because it was so hard to get a feel for it through the beta cause it was pretty broken. Hope it's decent.

I've decided to skip out on this game because of the Conspicuous Gallantry Trophy. Essentially this trophy is like plating Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising but you only get one gold.

:gold: Conspicuous Gallantry: Singleplayer: Finish every level in the game on Tier 1 mode under par time

That means:

• You have a time limit.
  • You have NO checkpoints (which means you can't die or you restart the whole level)
  • Smarter AI
  • Wind can change the path of the bullet
  • NO HUD