Play.com - SteelBook Retailer Thread [Europe]

play.gif
Please feel free to discuss/chat whatever it could be steelbook related to Play.com.

Subjects can be:
- Customer service
- Policy
- Shipping
and others.

Important:
This store only ships to specific countrys in Europe. If you want to buy from this store, you need a contact OR join a specific Group Buy.

Packaging exemple: (tx to Acid)
View attachment 14139

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: lgans316
Just ordered my first SB from play.com but something is bothering me.
Viewing products in euros suddenly almost doubles the price, or more, for most steelbooks, and as i dont live in the UK im not eligible to purchase anything in pounds. Sucks pretty hard :/

When they first purchased play.com they released new steelbooks like The Raid aswell as catalogue titles if im not mistaken. However, they are now a marketplace seller and play.com dont sell anything themselves but instead through traders e.g. Entertainment Store (ES)

Reactions: Miku
Ahh, the memories...happy happy days...*sigh*... RIP Play ...

yup.. great SteelBooks at lower prices and once they´ve switched to the SteelBook protective boxes I don´t think I´ve ever recieved another damaged SteelBook from them....
they were MUCH better than the flimsy boxes with no padding Zavvi is using now... (although that´s better than the jiffy bags Zavvi used before that..LOL)

I used to like play com for their great steelbooks, but since their were purchased by Rakuten the prices of some steelbooks have gone sky high. too bad.
it is a shame that such a nice hobby collecting steelbooks can be ruined,by some sellers which buy a lot of steels and sell them for 3 or 4 times the original price.
I know that you do not have to purchase them but it still think it as shame.
I understand that you want to make a profit but does it have to be 200% or 300% profit?
for example, I bought the Incredible Hulk at Play com for the normal price, I believe it was around € 19,- , now it is selling at play.com for almost € 70 or € 80.

As Play com does not release anything anymore except from the Entertainment Store exclusives I won't be buying much anymore from play. com

As Play com does not release anything anymore except from the Entertainment Store exclusives I won't be buying much anymore from play. com

I very rarely look on there anymore, since they stopped individual traders from listing items there's very rarely any deals/bargains to be found apart from some of the one day deals. Shame really.

They must have noticed a dip in site-wide sales as they don't seem that competitive on there anymore, but then because play don't have to store any stock, employ many staff etc now they're probably just plodding on from the money that comes in from every sale. They're just relying on the brand of play.com to do their selling.

There really is no comparison. Play steelbooks were far superior than Zavvi's exclusives. Many of their steelbooks have this quality feel about them that has never been replicated, unless I'm just delusional.

Reactions: lgans316
I used to like play com for their great steelbooks, but since their were purchased by Rakuten the prices of some steelbooks have gone sky high. too bad.
it is a shame that such a nice hobby collecting steelbooks can be ruined,by some sellers which buy a lot of steels and sell them for 3 or 4 times the original price.
I know that you do not have to purchase them but it still think it as shame.
I understand that you want to make a profit but does it have to be 200% or 300% profit?
for example, I bought the Incredible Hulk at Play com for the normal price, I believe it was around € 19,- , now it is selling at play.com for almost € 70 or € 80.

that´s because play.com as a retailer does NOT exist anymore..
the website is still up but it is only a platform for THIRD PARTY sellers to offer their goods.. so they´re not involved in any pricing of the items, that´s done by the individual sellers... a sort of ebay with product pages and buyItNow offers only

Last edited:
I don't know if this is the right place to ask but is it usual for play.com that they charge fees when you pay in €?

I bought corps bride for 13,74€ incl. shipping but they charged 1,21 € on top.

This is strange. This is what my CC shows:

View attachment 66655

I think they check your credit card liability when you first shop there. You get this refunded in a few weeks.

Yes, claudius181991 is right, they make a charge of £ 1 to verify the card. In a few days should return that amount.

I don't know how it works in Germany/Europe, but here in the US this is only a pre-authorization; meaning the card is not actually charged but only tested (though it temporarily cuts into your credit limit).